Amsterdam mini one day crawl.

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

padichar
power poster
power poster

Amsterdam mini one day crawl.

Postby padichar » Tue Nov 16, 2:04 pm

Oh well after reading so many good trip reports, I feel the need to spin my tale. Amsterdam is the folly of my youth if not my life. I got acquainted with the Dam 20 years this coming month. So much has changed in the course of such a long time span. I guess what does change more than anything else is the colors of your brain filter. Up to about 10 years ago, I had always stayed with a Dutch friend of mine, sadly he moved out of the country to Spain. My early memories of this city have always been entwined with Dutch culture. I will probably surprise the lot of you by saying that it took me about 20 trips to visit the RLD… Not the coffee shops though!!!

Since I have no more local friend, I come back now and again as a loyal pilgrim to this pothead paradise on earth. The train tickets and accommodation booked I got on my way.
The train ride from my hometown is nothing but uneventful, to think the hordes of you travelling many times a year to this wonderful place have to hop across the pond, I really consider myself lucky. To top it off, it is now even faster than it used to be, in a little over 3 hours you have arrived.
Is it the whiff of the cold air from the North Sea or the chimes of the tram crisscrossing the city that instantly brings back all the memories? I do not know, what I do know for sure is that my soon to be drug addled brain got into hyper drive the minute I stepped again on the central station platform. Off to the hotel, wait a minute it is too early … what am I going to do? You all know the response toke, toke, and toke.

My hotel was right around the corner from Ledseplein, a hop on the 5 and 10 minutes later I got to drop the bag before engaging in our favorite activity while in the city: The hunt for the Killer bud. Where is it to be this time? I had decided to change drastically my coffee shop scene, this time around so instead of my old favorite tweede kamer, I headed in the direction of the much debated Mellow Yellow.

Upon entering the premise, having refrained from partaking for a long while, I browsed their wares and choose the S5Haze’s 5 g deal - my sativa taste comes from my first trip to the dam- For those of you that do not know the place, the shop has a mezzanine with a foosball and a pinball machine. I decided to order a coke and sat myself upstairs, with the intention of rolling the biggest jumbo J ever…. Seated upstairs was a lovely Dutch lady, I started chatting her up while exchanging our Js ,she was smocking Blueberry which I thought was ok unlike the S5 which had the effect of an oncoming train.. Sweet! Among the many topics we discussed the obvious new coffee shop law was brought up. It really looks as if the extreme right wing government of Holland wants to ban us the foreigners from tasting the local produces…. And that my friends would really suck the big one. I hope in all honesty that they can reverse the trend; we all need a break sometimes and since Prop 19 failed Amsterdam remains our best bet.

Anyway, I will stop my ramblings and continue with this mini trip report. I really liked the Mellow Yellow, great weed, nice dealer, great conversation and superb chill out place. I really recommend the place… just the right mix of locals and tourists. A couple of hours later I emerged alive but wobbly to continue my mini crawl. Back to the hotel for a short while to change into more appropriate clothing, one that will match my now perfectly relaxed state of mind.. Yeah right relaxed all right! More like fully baked and loaded like a double chocolate chip cookie.

So onwards with the crawl. Back to the end of Prisengratch looking for a way to cross the Amstel, I am on my merry way to Greenhouse Namaste on Waterlooplein for a taste of their haze. Fortunately for me, I got my crawl map out. Google map is great to plan a crawl especially once baked it does a great job of keeping you on the right track. So a quick stop at a shop I had always wanted to visit but forgot since things always get really fuzzy in the Dam.

Anyway, Hortus "De overkantâ€￾ is located very close to the entrance of the botanical park and is really a stop and go type of shop. Again since I really like to chill out, standing up really did not do it for me. On top of that; for some reason I did not feel welcomed at all. The stares I got from the locals were a little hostile. So a quick check at the menu, a couple grams of their best weed and off to work rolling a taster… Well let me tell you the best thing about this J was when I snubbed it out. The weed was tasteless and the effects were not that great, sort of a forceful stone that hit you like a brick in the face without the subtleties of the more refined herbal products. Again maybe if you are local and know the people this place could be OK, I would not recommend that for the typical even though experienced Weed lover.

Disappointed and hungry for more, yet wobblier than earlier, I exited Hortus with the clear desire to avenge myself from such a dire experience. I pondered that since Green House was just around the corner life was just grand! I usually do not like the Greenhouse shops that much but the waterlooplein location has always had a special place in my Gandja loving heart. The dealer recognized me from an earlier visit this year and immediately set himself to presenting the most aromatic haze product from his line. I liked the smell of that Mexican haze, yet the blandness of the last toke called for something a little fruitier.
Ah ah what a lovely smell, what is it? NY Diesel. I will have a couple of grams, why thank you. Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm , absolutely deliciouuuuuuuuuuuuusssssssssss! I still have the back of my throat itching for more of that citrus taste, just plain gorgeous. Not the strongest of weed but then a very uplifting and happy high. This brought back the huge grim I had somehow lost.

Recharged and ready for more abuse I got out the shop, almost forgetting my scarf, happy as I was. I charged ahead to one of the smoker’s landmark in the city: I name it Basjoe what a place! Just what a coffee shop probably was in the early days and the way all shop IMHO should have stayed. I liked the real confy feel of the place, the relaxed, much laid back atmosphere that wraps around you upon entering this brown café. Nice discussion with the black dude at the bar followed of course by a thorough tasting of their best Moroccan hash the royal hash. The mixture of the great smoke and the new style R& B music got me so waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasted!!! No my head runs in all directions with the funniest of thoughts: In that induced dream state I pondered how the great weed taster of this world can even remember anything from their sampling. Unlike wine tasting, you can not spit out the THC… such a hard job being a weed taster. Where do I apply?

Now with my marshmallow legs on, I stumbled forward on Damrak to my next calling the famous infamous de Kuil AKA 420 café. Is 420 yet? I asked myself … I guess my best guess is that it is always 420 when at 420’s. Woah!! That is again my type of place a little bigger and noisier than Basjoe but what a treat. I love the cozy feel surrounding the space. Not to say the lively crowd. I ordered a cappuccino to go along the 3 grams of cheese I had just purchased. I will cherish the next moment for all long time. The dealer came to me with a free fully inflated cheese vapor balloon. First time for me, the sweetest taste, the perfect tasting tool, the purest form of cannabis known to men is mine to abuse. And abuse I did!!! Four cheese vapor balloons later I had reached what I called the flying state, the eternal levitation happiness. Frankly from there on my memory is of little to no use but I will try my best to finish the story.

Yet with completion in mind, I set myself to my ultimate destination 1e Hulp on Marnixstraat which truly meant crossing the city. I usually walk quite fast but this time my pace had really slowed down to: a coffee shop crawl. I enjoyed in the fullest the leisurely walk around the city which from an outsider point of view must have looked like the stroll of walker assisted old man. At this pace, you really get to enjoy the beauty of the canals and gorgeous XVII century constructions. What could have taken me a good 25 minutes took me a grand 2 hours and a bit. Trust me I know my way around the place I rarely get lost anymore.

Famished on my way to this ultimate treat of the mind, I desperately needed some treat of the taste buds. As a vegetarian, I have been a regular at De Vliegende, Schotel Restaurant which is located off lijnbaansgratch. The meal is superb for a very reasonable price. I do recommend this place as the quality and quantity of the food will satisfy any induced hunger.

Refueled and almost back to reality, rest assured only for a short while. I proceeded towards 1 er Hulp smocking down the biggest, the fattest NY diesel cone. That grapefruit after taste made me crave for dessert. Upon arriving, I immediately proceeded to the merchandise counter to acquire some “put me to bed “ smokeables. I selected their isolator hash and a juice to go along. Five more minutes and a smoking tasty cone in my hand I was chit chatting with the dealer when all of a sudden the whitey rears it ugly head, whoosh I slid down to the floor…. This was the sign for the end… toke until you drop! Well I had dropped. So after a large glass of sugary water – I knew I needed that dessert somehow- I decided it was time to go back to the hotel for a much needed sleep.

This concludes my mini crawl. I noted two things of importance first the shop ambience makes for the best experience, I would not have had the same feeling had I been stuck in one of those horrible commercial places – yeah that place the hop me in the grass – second that as usual with most things in life the people encounters are always what gives the special spin to any trip in this Stoner’s Mecca. I had originally planned a 10 coffeeshop crawl which without support was a respectable feat by itself. Alas my resistance of the early days is no longer with me … I had to give up the competition, limiting myself to a humble personal record of 6 coffeehuis.. This tends to prove that larger more organized better staffed crawls need to be planned for future success. I would welcome any grand coffeeshop crawl plan from the lot of you.

I hope you have enjoyed my tale and look forward to reading your adventure in this city we all love.
Last edited by padichar on Tue Jan 11, 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hammer
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Hammer » Tue Nov 16, 2:40 pm

Welcome to channels Padichar. Your writing style reminds me of a recently departed member, whose style was very human, personal, and brought you into his mind and emotions, whether joyful, sad, romantic, or lonely. He leaves big footprints to fill, but you have a wonderful way of conveying your reactions to events along the merry way in fantasyland. And also not to forget the details after your prodigious smoking intake. I hope to read more of your tales. How about previous trips? Hammer

padichar
power poster
power poster

thank you

Postby padichar » Wed Nov 17, 11:18 am

I cannot and do not want to emulate anybody that was previously on Channels. I have read the wonderful stories of many current and past members of this forum with interest, joy and might I say sometimes envy... especially during a very dry period. I stumbled upon this site while surfing a while ago, and was really shocked by the sheer amount of different personal experiences but mostly by the instant bond that turned into friendships over the years... the love we share for this place is just amazing.

Thank you for your kind comments... I will have to add trips as they go. Past trips would probably fill a large book if only I could remember then correctly. I have been back to the DAM times and times over during the course of my life as a young stupid post adolescent trying to be hip, as a young adult enjoying the friendship with friends locally , enthralled and in love in with a very complex woman – is there such a thing as a simple woman.. I doubt it- basically I have been there at all states of mind and ages.

This is why when I am in the Dam, I am always joyful but somewhat nostalgic of good old times. Yet I truly believe that good old times are always around the corner there. You do not need to look for a very long time.

Hey I will be back within the next two months, I would like to meet some channelites for a toke, toke oh yeah talk too.
Last edited by padichar on Fri Dec 03, 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Wed Nov 17, 3:15 pm

hey padi,

thanks for your report. really wonderful and visual too, wish we were there to share some time with you!!

Please keep those report rolling in as they happen, it gives us all a bit of an Amsterdam lift! ; >

chichi123
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby chichi123 » Wed Nov 17, 3:39 pm

"Instant bond that turned into friendships over the years".

This is so true! Hope you enjoy making friends.

padichar
power poster
power poster

Postby padichar » Wed Nov 17, 6:10 pm

World citizen, i will try to keep them rolling yet to tell u the truth I am back home to harsh reality... I was in the dam for 2 days. - I needed that break.

Chichi, the reason for me joining the channels is that friendly bond or bond of friendship that transpires from the channels. Obviously at times a little play does not harm .

so no talk and toke soon?

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Wed Nov 17, 6:33 pm

padichar wrote:World citizen, i will try to keep them rolling yet to tell u the truth I am back home to harsh reality... I was in the dam for 2 days. - I needed that break.

well Padi, WE ARE ALL sitting in our harsh realities - that's why the trip reports from Mokum are so great, as they can move us even for a minute or two back to the city we all love. thanks.

padichar
power poster
power poster

Postby padichar » Thu Nov 18, 10:19 am

Yep harsh realities indeed. Well I understand the excitement of a trip report as it brings you a little closer to R & R. Fortunately for me the land of freedom is only a short haul ...

Take it super easy

NewYork, New York
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby NewYork, New York » Thu Nov 18, 3:54 pm

padichar wrote:Yep harsh realities indeed. Well I understand the excitement of a trip report as it brings you a little closer to R & R. Fortunately for me the land of freedom is only a short haul ...

Take it super easy

Which "land of freedom" are you talking about?

Surely not The Netherlands.

padichar
power poster
power poster

Postby padichar » Thu Nov 18, 6:30 pm

As far as being a pothead it beats a lot of place that I know. My home country is certainly a lot lot worse in that respect. Having say this Holland from its protestant background is a lot more tolerant that most countries in Western Europe that I have lived in. Althought I realize at the moment their governement is just following the usual trend when in crisis which happens to be extremes. Usually this precedes War I hope we do not get it. I am not only talking about the drugs situation. When insecurity becomes the main governement theme you know liberties are being severely cut back. Democracy and capitalism just do no go along together it is just a mere matter of time before capitalism takes over. The best proof is china, they are a capitalist country today... not a democracy tough.

Hope you enjoy my report.

Good day to you.

NewYork, New York
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby NewYork, New York » Thu Nov 18, 7:19 pm

padichar wrote:As far as being a pothead it beats a lot of place that I know. My home country is certainly a lot lot worse in that respect. Having say this Holland from its protestant background is a lot more tolerant that most countries in Western Europe that I have lived in. Althought I realize at the moment their governement is just following the usual trend when in crisis which happens to be extremes. Usually this precedes War I hope we do not get it. I am not only talking about the drugs situation. When insecurity becomes the main governement theme you know liberties are being severely cut back. Democracy and capitalism just do no go along together it is just a mere matter of time before capitalism takes over. The best proof is china, they are a capitalist country today... not a democracy tough.

Hope you enjoy my report.

Good day to you.

On a different thread, speedlink posted this:

FROM DUTCHNEWS.NL
http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2 ... dam_in.php

No exception for Amsterdam in cannabis cafe clampdown

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Thu Nov 18, 10:11 pm

reality just became a little harsher.....

padichar
power poster
power poster

Postby padichar » Fri Nov 19, 10:00 am

Ok I hear and read the same basic idea on the new Dutch cabinet intending to ban access to tourist. Fine a grand idea from an extreme right populist cabinet that has not been thought over. Lets imagine that we start by completely stop the coffee shop business which in reality is the intent of this new government. What is going to happen is that underground networks are going to control again the complete distribution line from production to retail. This time around since it will no longer be in the open quality and prices will in one case drop and on the other rise. The bottom line is the cannabis network will exist. All of that for a few votes. You get busted for cannabis possession in my country this can lead to very harsh sanctions prison term, fines the whole gambit of legal action. Yet when at the top of the state, corruption and ambition runs hand in hand together committing crimes, they rarely get punished. At most they loose the next election if not careful. Yes they no longer have the power but who cares. Let’ see how this plays out for Holland. I think the ban of the burka is really a subject that could go as high as the European court. If as I think they will get rebuked then that could very well put them on a very shaky ground. Having said that I hear you guys Spain might be an option. .

Avory
just in
just in

Postby Avory » Sat Nov 20, 6:54 am

Welcome Padi. Your report makes me smile and miss Amsterdam.

padichar
power poster
power poster

Postby padichar » Mon Nov 22, 11:50 am

You better miss it because soon enough the fantasy land that we somehow love will be reverted back to a complete illegal status except for Dutch Citizen. Ooops no more baking... well we will have to come to California after you have finally voted yes.

Avory
just in
just in

Postby Avory » Tue Nov 23, 3:27 am

Yeah, that can't happen soon enough for me. I hope, pray and vote for it all the time.

padichar
power poster
power poster

Postby padichar » Tue Nov 23, 1:41 pm

avory,

Just for the sake of the argument, when do you think Californian will have a chance to vote again for legalization of the herbal products will all love.

I would be interested to hear your opinon as a Californian. Although I understand there are vast difference between LA and Oakland for instance.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Tue Nov 23, 3:13 pm

padichar
power poster
power poster

Postby padichar » Tue Nov 23, 3:50 pm

thank Bo. Why 2012 do have a change of legislation ? if so as i think the US will be under the rule of the Republican which have always been very tolerant toward big money not pot and certainly not pot smokers. What a travesty the whole thing is. my point is I hope California opens the show with a big win in favor of pot. Let see how this plays out. I am afraid not well since Marijane is the devil of all evils....since the late 30's in the US.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Tue Nov 23, 3:59 pm

2012 is the next scheduled general election. I know of at least two propositions and one piece of legislation regarding legalisation of cannabis which are working their way towards inclusion in that vote. Proposition 19, as utterly flawed as it was received about 46% of the yes vote. We are still waiting to see who the Attorney General of the state will be (top lawyer for the state). Kamala Harris is a pro legalization liberal form NorCal and Cooley is an anti-pot (even medical) Nazi form SoCal. The outcome of the vote awaits final count of nearly one million mail-in votes. This outcome could set the stage for how things might go cannabis-wise.

peace

padichar
power poster
power poster

Postby padichar » Tue Nov 23, 5:02 pm

again thanks bo. These are quite good news unless you get to have the SoCal nazi anti pot.... Arg.

I wish I was in California getting my medical card... He he none of that here.

take it super easy life is too short.

moe.
super power poster
super power poster

Postby moe. » Tue Nov 23, 11:46 pm

Harris' lead just got a little bigger. I like her chances.

Avory
just in
just in

Postby Avory » Wed Nov 24, 4:24 am

Here's an interesting article on maryjane in California

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/featur ... avois.html

It's a little long, but a great read.

padichar
power poster
power poster

Postby padichar » Wed Nov 24, 11:36 am

Thanks Avery great read. it explains it all. In the end the whole thing is treated as a business and people got in for the money. I am sure you can still find some people that are genuinely interested in the plant. I hope we do not end up with already packaged and marketed commercial marijuana. We all know part of the fun is to sample the weed like wine. This is one of the main reasons behind travelling to the Dam

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Wed Nov 24, 3:41 pm

thanks Avory..

good read

moe.
super power poster
super power poster

Postby moe. » Wed Nov 24, 10:30 pm

Done deal, Harris wins!

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Thu Nov 25, 12:13 am

moe. wrote:Done deal, Harris wins!

yippeee!!

padichar
power poster
power poster

Postby padichar » Thu Nov 25, 10:22 am

good this is kind of good news I guess.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Thu Nov 25, 4:54 pm

Yes, good news indeed. The democraps now control California...legal weed and fiscal responsibility! No more "cut and spend".

padichar
power poster
power poster

Postby padichar » Thu Nov 25, 5:21 pm

Hey Bo this is good news. I am not an american citizen so I cannot come and live but my wife is . Maybe I can talk her into moving to California. Pot would only be a plus. I think California has a lot to offer.I am glad no to be in Mokum at the moment with the Cup it must be a giant cluster F...

Take it easy life's too short.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”