Just back

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

John T
power poster
power poster

Just back

Postby John T » Sun Oct 24, 10:22 pm

My wife & I just returned after a week in Amsterdam. This was an unplanned trip, unlike our usual trip in May.
We have our apartment on a home exchange site and a couple contacted us. They wanted to come to New York last November on short notice. We agreed, as long as we could leave our trip to their place open ended. We and they have other places to stay, so the exchange did not have to be simultaneous. We finally decided on a week in October. Probably not a great choice, the weather was not good, although we did have a few partially sunny days.
One day it started out sunny and, as we were about to leave the house it began to hail and then rain, and shortly the sun was out again.
Their place is in the Oud Zuid, an area we had never stayed in before. We usually stay on the Amstel close to theWaterlooplein. The tram stop closest to the house is the Apollolaan stop.
It’s a very odd area compared to the center. The main street (Beethovenstraat) had no brown bars, no brown cafes and no coffee shops. The lack of coffee shops didn’t matter since we don’t use them, but it was odd not to see any. The street had high end clothing stores and specialty food shops. There is really no reason to be on this street.
We took the tram (24 or 5) to the center every day, although we did eat in the area on two rainy nights. Surprisingly, On Beethovenstraat there are two really good restaurants, one is a Gaucho, the nicest Gaucho that we have been to, and the other a really good, family owned, Cantonese restaurant that had amazing roast duck. Still, there is no real reason to bother with this area.
The Stedelijk Museum is open temporarily after years of renovation. It will close again soon for another year of renovation. I think they opened it so they could make some quick money. It is really a rip off. They have a few weak exhibits but mostly empty room after empty room.
We ate in two of our favorite Brown Cafes, the Blaubrug across the street from the opera, second business down from the Amstel. It has very good food and a Belgian beer menu, and the people working there are very nice.
The other is De Reiger (Nieuwe Leliestraat 83). They have the best ribs I have had in Amsterdam and they have some unusual items on the menu. My wife had the ribs and I had Wild Boar, which taste like Pork Fillet but more flavorful and juicier. They also have great beer. They have La Chauffe which is Belgian ale, high in alcohol but light tasting. One of the best beers I have had.
I think the house wine in the Brown Cafes is better than it was in the past. I had red wine a few times on this visit, French and Spanish, and it was very good.
We did our usual things that we always do in Amsterdam, many restaurants, lunch at the American Hotel, a few good photo exhibits, visits to all the popular areas, a special exhibit at the Van Gogh.
There is a new market called Marqt (Utrechtsestrat 17). I think it’s on the corner of the Keiser Stratt. It looks like a smaller version of Whole Foods (a U.S. market chain). It has nice meat, an in house butcher, and a fish counter with very fresh fish, a nice alternative to the Albert Heign market.
It was a good trip although I would not go again in October.

matty223
power poster
power poster

Postby matty223 » Sun Oct 24, 11:57 pm

were you able to cshop in the Marqt, sounds like the one on the Overtoom, only thing the one on the Overtoom you need a chip in your card, no cash

Peace Matty

John T
power poster
power poster

Just back

Postby John T » Mon Oct 25, 4:08 pm

No, I didn’t shop. We were walking past and stopped in to look around. On our next trip we are staying by the Amstel a short distance from the market, so we will shop there. I think you do need a card with a chip or pin #.

matty223
power poster
power poster

Postby matty223 » Mon Oct 25, 4:13 pm

it really is a great store , real fresh veggies and meats, good selection of cheese,

TrekknHil
super power poster
super power poster

Postby TrekknHil » Wed Oct 27, 11:06 pm

Thanks for the report...it's nice to learn new things about the city I love. I had fantastic weather both times I went in October so don't count it out if it comes up again :)

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”