The Pilgrimage Begins

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Dogbreath
super power poster
super power poster

The Pilgrimage Begins

Postby Dogbreath » Wed Feb 26, 11:22 am

Finally, departure day. Excited, just like a little kid on christmas eve.

Afternoon, having said goodby earlier to Mrs. Dogbreath, with airline ticket in hand, I hauled the suitcase to the front door. There, looking forlornly at the travel bag, my nearly 16 yer old canine companion, Dogbreath... my namesake, knew I was off on another "big hunt", from a dog's eye view of the world. And as I gave her depature pets, with scratches behind theears, I wondered if my terminally ill friend would still be here when I returned. Of course she will.

Onward to Montreal, the Canadian immigrations officer inquired, "Where are you from, eh?" I was permitted to enter after he concluded I was probably not a risk to the nation of Common Sense.

On the KLM 747, I found myself in the dreaded center seat, a surly large frenchman on my right, a happy, pleasant french lady on my left. She was half asian, half french pedigree, about 40, an aeronautical engineer, traveling home to Paris.

During the flight, I seemed to have developed a bad case of the farts. Not wishing to offend the other passengers concurrently trapped in that aluminium tube, I had to slowly control the releases into small discharges, so as not to create a toxic air alert.

The french lady was nice, we had some nice chats, then she eventually asked me what most americans think about Bush starting a war. Told her I can't speak for other americans, but that in my view, bush was starting the wrong war, in the wrong place, at the wrong time. urther, there was no question that bush was a certified fool. She did not dispute my assessment.

Then that moment of extreme joy: arriving at Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport, knowing a week of pure fun awaited. No better feeling. Thru Dutch customs (what customs?) then I meet my friend Hebe in the Meeting Point at the arrivals area, another channelite irregular and fellow amsterdam devotee who had also just arrived from Texas. We shared our mutual joy at being in amsterdam again, then went out front to get some fresh air. Amazingly, the morning was pleasant and sunny, not a cloud in the sky.... a rarity in Holland. We agreed it was a sign of approval from the gods, who appear to be pleased.

We took the one of those incredibly efficient Dutch trains into central station ($3.10 euros), and upon arrival, us being experienced Nederland travelers, we hit the rarely used ATM machine in the rear of the station, and thus supported the Dutch economy.

Our blood stirred at the sight of vibrant Amsterdam as we came out of the train station, the city so alive this fine morning. Should we first go to the hotel? or first stop in the Central Coffee Shop across from the station and have a coffee and a smoke? We both knew the answer as we smirked at each other.

The Central had a nice menu in a portable closable wooden case, each product in small plastic zip bags, mounted, with perhaps a dozen varieties of weed and hashish. So we had our coffee and fired up our purchases, as the resident house dog, Stacy, came over to our table and gave us a courtesy lick, a tail wag, then politely sniffed our luggage. Stacy was about 19 years old, feeble, but doing ok, with her aft port paw/ankle crippled up from arthritus. A dog in a coffee shop is always a good sign. The bar tender/ weed dealer requested ID from some folks who looked marginally of age (18), but satisfied, sold them some hash and coffee.

We walked along the pleasant Singel canal to the Brouwer hotel, moved into our rooms, which upon entering, made me think I was staying in a monastary, the rooms are so sparse, yet spotlessly clean. But hey, for 45 euros, not bad, breakfast included.

On to Barneys Breakfast bar. where some Mekong Haze improved our attitudes. Some new staff, including an efficient Dutchman who waited on our table, but with an untypically Dutch sour attitude.

As we ate a mediocure breakfast, a large pack of young folks entered, which seems to fill the entire coffee shop/resterant. The tall blond Dutch woman stated loudly with an authoritative air, for all to hear, "I must zee your ID before I con let you be zeeted". We heard a few mumbled cussing statements as the pack, in unison, like large a swarm of bees, departed the coffee shop.

Ambling on towards the centrum, we make an initial reconosance tour of the main Red Light District, seeing less then a handful of Professional Women in their kamers (rooms). Then to De Kuil coffee shop, our defaut home base coffee shop, where the pleasant pretty Dutch girl brought our coffees to our table. Classical music played softly in the background. I could not resist the new entry on the De Kuil weed menu, Kali Mist. As we walked back to our hotel for a catnap, we talked about how it felt that we had never left, the sights, sounds and smells of Amsterdam like a seperate timeline.

At 6 pm we met up with Docski, Nogbin , Confuzn and Anty, all channelite irregulars. This was the gray haired set for four of us, except for confuzn and Anty, who were on their honeymoon in Amsterdam. After several ballons of vaporized weed were passed around the table, Anty rolled joint joint after joint, meticulously creating a cone style joint, using her unique layering method, weed, then hash particles, weed, hash, etc. Jeezum, those folks can really smoke uo the weed!

The De Kuil coffee shop, popular with the middle aged set as well as locals, was quite busy that night. Max the big grey Tabby cat came and claimed ownership of Confuzn's chair, as if he owned it. But this was still the "first day", and being tired from jet lag, Hebe and I did a recon patrol through the RLD, watching the Professional Women as they displayed the goods using highly provactive body language. Here the world's oldest profession is "tolerted" by the Dutch, yet it still remains a social taboo, as it does just about everywhere else.

We were getting very tired, and hungry. So we wandered to M Pizza Slice on toutisty Damrack, formerly known as Manhatten Pizza. As we sat in the back wolfing down our excellent pizza, we felt oddly uncomfortable.. perhaps the jabbering of the arabs who worked there and hung out there.

We ambled back towards our hotel, realizing we needed to have one last nightcap smoke before entering our "no smoking" hotel. In a state of fatigue, we lowered our standards and sat in the glassy greenhousy front section of the Grasshopper coffee shop, sipping our drinks as we people watched the traffic on the surprisingy busy sidewalk, our wisps of smoke made us realize how lucky we were at that moment to be back in Amsterdam again.

The gods are pleased.

:-) Dogbreath

buckofive
power poster
power poster

Postby buckofive » Wed Feb 26, 5:01 pm

Truly, the gods are pleased. Today marks nearly a full week of sun here in Holland. Combine that with a warming trend and it has been positively delightful. I am sure that Amsterdam looked even better to you in the warm afternoon sun after being gone so long.

The days are starting to get longer and the temperature gradually creeping higher. Could it be that spring has sprung? Or is there more cold winter weather just around the corner.

Either way, I am sure that you are glad to be back!

Cheers,

buckofive

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: The Pilgrimage Begins

Postby Bohannon » Wed Feb 26, 5:26 pm

Dogbreath wrote:During the flight, I seemed to have developed a bad case of the farts. Not wishing to offend the other passengers concurrently trapped in that aluminium tube, I had to slowly control the releases into small discharges, so as not to create a toxic air alert.

For once your report actually contains more information than I need to know! LMFAO
The joy of arrival must have been enhanced by prising yourself from the middle of two french people. That is truely my idea of hell (if not for the direction of the plane) center seat between two fro..., er, french people. Yikes.
DB, you need to try the Grey Area again. I have been there many times, actually sat at the bar for a while. I always dealt with John who was pleasant and conversational. The trichromes are worth enduring anything however, mmmmm.
I hope to see Weldon this weekend, we will be there with you in spirit, please burn one for us!
PAX

Banks
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Banks » Wed Feb 26, 9:11 pm

Thanks for the mental trip, DB... hope the critter is fine when you return. I second BO's recommendation to drop by Grey Area... and also, nab some Buddha's Sister at de Dampkring! She'll put a smile on your face!

BlueBerry
super power poster
super power poster

Postby BlueBerry » Thu Feb 27, 12:36 am

oh man ...dog, that report was off tha chain man!

Totally killer, full of great detail.... I swear I was walking along beside you - I mean I felt the chilly willies reading it:)) That was incredible writing!

I am anxiously awaiting for the rest of my journey:))

Thank You!

BlueBerry

hank
power poster
power poster

Postby hank » Thu Feb 27, 4:34 am

Thanks, that was such a great report. It always feels like I'm home again when I get to Amsterdam also. Looking forward to more...

excitableone
power poster
power poster

Postby excitableone » Thu Feb 27, 11:03 am

bravo!! bravo!! made me feel like i was back in the dam!! peace~

Weldon
super power poster
super power poster

M Pizza

Postby Weldon » Fri Feb 28, 12:24 am

Last year when I was there at Manhattan Pizza, I noticed that the place was swathed in pictures of the WTC to the point where it seemed like wallpaper. Did they rename the place and get rid of the Manhattan motif?

Living vicariously through you,
W

Dogbreath
super power poster
super power poster

Re: M Pizza

Postby Dogbreath » Fri Feb 28, 2:14 pm

Weldon wrote:Last year when I was there at Manhattan Pizza, I noticed that the place was swathed in pictures of the WTC to the point where it seemed like wallpaper. Did they rename the place and get rid of the Manhattan motif?

Living vicariously through you,
W

NO.. same old NY skyline wallpaper. Except the wall paper is no longer accurate.

:-)

Smokey Joe
participating
participating

Good old DB

Postby Smokey Joe » Fri Feb 28, 3:39 pm

Great post DB and sounds like you got some great weather, very cool - you earned it!

Caio

SJ

smokeyjoe chicago
regular
regular

just to be interesting

Postby smokeyjoe chicago » Wed Jan 13, 1:22 am

boy was this an old post

slither
super power poster
super power poster

Postby slither » Sun Jan 24, 7:01 pm

You have no idea.

This post harkens back to the rich, early years of Channels - before all the post-modern horseshit.

"Those who know, do not tell; those who tell, do not know..."

dannymac
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby dannymac » Sun Jan 24, 7:03 pm

yeah'
but someone's gotta convince JOAN!!!!

smokeyjoe chicago
regular
regular

just curious

Postby smokeyjoe chicago » Thu Jan 28, 10:49 pm

How many people are still here from the good old days of the late 90's, roll call please

Caio

SJ

slither
super power poster
super power poster

Re: just curious

Postby slither » Fri Jan 29, 5:24 am

smokeyjoe chicago wrote:How many people are still here from the good old days of the late 90's, roll call please

Caio

SJ

I have been stopping by this site since 1997.

Much has changed.

Back then it wasn't about sheer volume of posts; rather, it was more about having something to contribute.

Then this thing called 'Moderation' developed, and from then the whole thing became more and more subjegated to the fiat of the chosen few, those elite oracles upon whom the title of Moderator was granted.

One might have thought some of them had been knighted by the queen, or had at least managed to sneak into the webmaster's boudoir on penitent knee and with KY'd lips. (One fine bovine-esque individual from northern California comes to mind, in particular.)

Then - certain newer members began a headlong rush into post-count infamy at a rate analogous to lab rats self-administering on cocaine alkaloid until utterly spent.

The clamor gave way to ad hominem attacks, personal attempts at gathering private information about other members, long-term grudges and the willful suspension of reason.

All manner of trivial and populist rancor ensued, and somehow twisted what was good about this site into a base cult of personality and rank anti-guest hatred. One could not return to this site without being harangued, maligned and ridiculed for daring to post as a non-member. The simple achievement of a stupid fucking letter - an 'r,' of all things - somehow became a badge of honor within the Chat, and any known regular member who dared be so cavalier as to refuse to require such an 'r' was summarily relegated to obloquy and derision.

As if such indiviuals were somehow holding something back, to the chagrin of more conformist regular members.

One sees the inherent difficulty of such a situation: it is not unlike the thought of Guevara, whereby "that which made one a good guerrillero would also lend itself to making one a great post-revolutionary of the new ruling class."

Alas, Guevara was mistaken here - and this same analogy holds true with the great Moderators, hand picked from the throng by the webmaster himself: one cannot expect the fox to rule the henhouse.

(Once again, a certain flaccid behemoth fom the North Bay comes to mind.)

Oh...and then came the calls for the rolling heads of the non-conforming, the unliked and the most despised repeat posters. The most fantastic conspiratorials of rumor and innuendo gave way to witch hunts, torches in the night and drunken, laborious rantings in the Chat. Accusations of telephone calls in the middle of the night, threats of violence to individual members, and claims of moral outrage were heard far and wide.

Thus, the great era of "Polls" and "Bannings" came to pass.

Then visits from the older saner members began to wane, whilst those most needy and least inclined to contribute meaningfully gradually took center stage. Babbling like over-sexed mandrills on an extended methamphetamine trip, the new norm became "post at all cost." No matter what - no need to have something to say - just keep posting. Now, we have a central cabal who cannot stop themselves and continue a meaningless exercise of filling the need for daily posts. Some long-time regulars continue at the periphery, occasionally engaging but mostly remaining silent and incredulous at the spectacle.

And the webmaster contines to be at a loss as to what to do.

Fire all moderators?

Add twenty-seven new moderators?

Bannings on demand?

Polls?

Channels lynchings?

Post-count limits?

Throw another party?

Here's a thought: admit defeat and give the whole thing back to the people; create a council for review of alleged offenses and the recommendation of sanctions as against the buffoons and the ignorant.

One seeking equity must have clean hands. A review of one's record, would be conducted. Amicus pleadings, witnesses and character references would be considered, as would any aggravating or mitigating factors.

Fecal matter upon one's nose or within one's nostrils - even if acquired in that same boudoir - would be prima facie evidence of malfeasance.

Oh, one more thing: a grudge fuck of BOhannon by every member who has been wronged by his nefarious proclivities would help - or at least take him to a horse farm and thereafter post it on You Tube.

Sparky
power poster
power poster

Postby Sparky » Fri Jan 29, 6:23 am

nice trip report, Slither from 2008.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Fri Jan 29, 4:48 pm

He's just hurt because he was banned so many times, lol. Oh, not to mention monumental meltdowns one of which lasts to this very day, Right Brandy? (no, I didn't check your IP addy).

PaXXXXXXX

smokeyjoe chicago
regular
regular

Postby smokeyjoe chicago » Sat Jan 30, 12:11 am

Amsterfan = BOhannon correct. Do you remember the first Channelite gathering? I think you made the buttons and Bdette scared the shit out of my wife when we walked into Rookies and Bdette screamed out "Sally"....Good times ;-)

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Sat Jan 30, 12:17 am

smokeyjoe chicago wrote:Amsterfan = BOhannon correct. Do you remember the first Channelite gathering? I think you made the buttons and Bdette scared the shit out of my wife when we walked into Rookies and Bdette screamed out "Sally"....Good times ;-)

Sure do and sure were good times... I have a few photos.

smokeyjoe chicago
regular
regular

Postby smokeyjoe chicago » Sat Jan 30, 12:20 am

Uh Oh, nothing like the recent ones of John Edwards I hope.......

BlueBerry
super power poster
super power poster

Re: just curious

Postby BlueBerry » Sat Jan 30, 10:32 pm

smokeyjoe chicago wrote:How many people are still here from the good old days of the late 90's, roll call please

Caio

SJ

BlueBerry, here since 1998.

i sure miss dogbreath's posts.....

TrekknHil
super power poster
super power poster

Postby TrekknHil » Sun Jan 31, 12:38 am

Funny....I miss YOUR posts!!! You need to hang out here more often...have you forgotten how much fun it is??? :)

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”