Trip Was Rubbish

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Blackstone
super poster
super poster

Trip Was Rubbish

Postby Blackstone » Tue Jun 01, 5:07 pm

Only in the sense that most of the first half or so the binmen were on strike. Traveling around the city was a whole lot different than any other previous visit. It re-enforced the fact that one is truly in an urban area and not living in a postcard. Luckily the waste was collected down at the end of the quay and didn’t pile up adjacent to the canal boat so that relaxing on the deck was still just that, relaxing.

The cool wet weather at the beginning of the month gave me the opportunity to have some neighbors over for dinner a few times and make some while not so seasonal meals, certainty appropriate for the weather. Erwtensoep was a hit as well as an Irish stamppot, colcannon and of course the first white asparagus of the season.

One thing I will miss greatly is my little troop of ducklings that would charge over across the canal as soon as I made my morning appearance on deck for their bread breakfast. It’s amazing how the little ones matured over the course of a month. I made sure the runt got extra attention and bread allotments.

After a month of basically fucking off it’s back to work nailing down the details for a summer sail to Newfoundland Island. I wrote and left a sincere request with the boat owner that she take some time from the reciprocal use of my summer place and crew for the northward portion of the sail seeing that in spite of a working engine the canal boat rarely is moved.

Overall it was as gezelligheid as usual, and I never tire of seeing the incredible brushwork of V. van Gogh up close.

Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Old Fart » Tue Jun 01, 7:39 pm

Nice report Blackstone. Even with the rubbish it sounds like you had a great stay.

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: Trip Was Rubbish

Postby uk*bag*lady » Tue Jun 01, 9:05 pm

Blackstone wrote:Only in the sense that most of the first half or so the binmen were on strike. Traveling around the city was a whole lot different than any other previous visit. It re-enforced the fact that one is truly in an urban area and not living in a postcard. Luckily the waste was collected down at the end of the quay and didn’t pile up adjacent to the canal boat so that relaxing on the deck was still just that, relaxing.

The cool wet weather at the beginning of the month gave me the opportunity to have some neighbors over for dinner a few times and make some while not so seasonal meals, certainty appropriate for the weather. Erwtensoep was a hit as well as an Irish stamppot, colcannon and of course the first white asparagus of the season.

Yes, when I arrived on Saturday May 15th I was struck by the mounds of refuse everywhere and guessed what had happened. But by the following morning the council workers were working like crazy to try and get it cleared. It didn't make for a good first impression of the city for visitors though.

One young artist on the corner of Herengracht and Blauwburgwal had brought his cans of spray paints and turned the rubbish pile there into a temporary work of art which had disappeared within hours!

I love stampot but am intrigued by your reference to an Irish one ~ can you tell me how it's made please?

:-)

Blackstone
super poster
super poster

Postby Blackstone » Tue Jun 01, 9:43 pm

I’m surprised you haven’t heard of colcannon. It’s merely a shorter version of bubble and squeak. A ‘stamppot’ like mashed potato and veg dish.
1kg potatoes, peeled and diced
250g cabbage, or kale finely sliced
1 bunch of spring onions, finely sliced
2 tablespoons of butter
75ml of milk
A good pinch of sea salt and black pepper

Add the peeled and diced potato to a pot of cold water, cover, place over a high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the potato is tender when pierced with a fork.
Place a metal steamer into another pot, add a little water and bring to the boil. Place the cabbage into the steamer and steam cook until it is tender.
When the potatoes are cooked, remove from the heat, drain into a colander, then add back into the pot with the butter and milk. Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes until smooth and creamy. You may want to add a little bit more or less milk and butter, it is up to you!
Add in the spring onion, steamed cabbage, sea salt and black pepper and stir through with a spoon until evenly combined.
Serve the colcannon straight away with a little extra butter and sea salt if you want.

The older we get, the more simple our tastes, yes?

I thought exactly the same as you did for the first time visitors that had to experience the strike.

dannymac
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: Trip Was Rubbish

Postby dannymac » Wed Jun 02, 1:59 pm

Sorry to hear that, here.
Blackstone wrote:Only in the sense that most of the first half or so the binmen were on strike.
Did you do anything to help them?
Blackstone wrote: Traveling around the city was a whole lot different than any other previous visit.
Why, was your mind in a different place? All my visits are the same as each other, I always learn something new.
Did you learn anything new today?
Blackstone wrote:It re-enforced the fact that one is truly in an urban area and not living in a postcard.
Everywhere i go, looks like a postcard to me. I then behave in a manner that puts me in the card. How do you behave in a new place?
Blackstone wrote: Luckily the waste was collected down at the end of the quay and didn’t pile up adjacent to the canal boat so that relaxing on the deck was still just that, relaxing.
So, are you telling me you didn't have to suffer? Evidently you're smarter than a Buddha.
I'm not, i know that we are all just men. What do you know?
Blackstone wrote:The cool wet weather at the beginning of the month gave me the opportunity to have some neighbors over for dinner a few times and make some while not so seasonal meals, certainty appropriate for the weather.
Regardless of the weather, we all must eat. It's nice to read that you will at least share this moment.
Blackstone wrote: Erwtensoep was a hit as well as an Irish stamppot, colcannon and of course the first white asparagus of the season.
Wish i was there, if what you say is true, i'd of said it myself.
Blackstone wrote:One thing I will miss greatly is my little troop of ducklings that would charge over across the canal as soon as I made my morning appearance on deck for their bread breakfast.
As they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder. Is there anything else missing from your life?
Blackstone wrote: It’s amazing how the little ones matured over the course of a month.
Nothing amazing at all, it's just nature running its course - and something is making it happen. Do you know what that something is?
Blackstone wrote: I made sure the runt got extra attention and bread allotments.
Because you are you, you want to help out; Because you are you you play favorites. When nature runs its course, what happens comes naturally. Are you a natural mystic, or some special kinda' guy?
Blackstone wrote:
After a month of basically fucking off it’s back to work nailing down the details for a summer sail to Newfoundland Island. I wrote and left a sincere request with the boat owner that she take some time from the reciprocal use of my summer place and crew for the northward portion of the sail seeing that in spite of a working engine the canal boat rarely is moved.
And now i really do understand YOU.

You don't listen to Prophets,
and you don't want to hear what i have to say,
But the Prophets spoke their peace, without looking for profit;
And this Mastermind, has mastered his mind, without making a profit.
I only have gifts, that i give without desire,
Once these thoughts have left my mind, they are yours,
to do with, whatever.
What they had to offer was only their thoughts,
and they've lasted forever.

Tell me friend, how long do you think that we will last?

Blackstone wrote:Overall it was as gezelligheid as usual, and I never tire of seeing the incredible brushwork of V. van Gogh up close.
Glad to hear it ended up okay, come to the party, we can talk about some things. Let this thing guide you here!

If you don't understand what i've typed, why don't you go sit in a corner and think about it for a bit.
When you've reached your Nirvana, we can talk about the TRUTH, and what i've Discovered.
I believe that we may just understand each other, but if not -
we can always share a joint with one another.

While we are waiting though, i've given you much to think about.
I'll be patient for your answers.
Please be patient for your Heaven on Earth,
because it won't happen until you submit to your TRUTH.

Blackstone
super poster
super poster

Postby Blackstone » Wed Jun 02, 5:48 pm

Dannymac, I can only imagine how incredibly fortunate your family, neighbors and friends are to bask in the glowing aura and the pearls of wisdom of your self discovered enlightenment, day after day after day ad nauseam .

Sorry I can’t make your party, I have other plans that day.

dannymac
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby dannymac » Thu Jun 03, 8:09 pm

Blackstone wrote:Dannymac, I can only imagine how incredibly fortunate your family, neighbors and friends are to bask in the glowing aura and the pearls of wisdom of your self discovered enlightenment, day after day after day ad nauseam.
Well thank you for those kind words. You need not imagine a thing my friend. All you need to is come back to reality.
Or you could just stop by my place and see the TRUTH in YOUR words.

Blackstone wrote:Sorry I can’t make your party, I have other plans that day.
YOu really are a dumb fuck (although, one with money).

Trying to predict a future you know nothing about. Tell me, my friend, what fuckin' day is that party? And what makes you think it is the same day you have your head up your ass.
Of course, that is just what i think, since i can't see you.

I don't have a clue what you think, you can't even answer some easy fuckin' questions.
To busy counting your money i suppose.

hey, that's okay by me.

chigusa
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: with his mouth full of teddies, jumbo's urinating seems defiant.

Postby chigusa » Fri Jun 04, 7:58 am

i wonder how many people would have other plans on the day of your party, dan?

woody
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby woody » Fri Jun 04, 9:41 am

I'm washing my hair that day.

chichi123
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby chichi123 » Fri Jun 04, 12:43 pm

I am cleaning out my purse. And helping Woody with his hair.

USBONGLORD
super power poster
super power poster

Postby USBONGLORD » Sun Jun 06, 11:45 am

steller douche ..you win...heres yer sign...it says..steller douche..and theres an arrow..it points at the steller douche...yes thats right..its pointing at you...here a nice cold glass of kool aid...go catch the comet...good report stone

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Sun Jun 06, 2:44 pm

USBONGLORD wrote:steller douche ..you win...heres yer sign...it says..steller douche..and theres an arrow..it points at the steller douche...yes thats right..its pointing at you...here a nice cold glass of kool aid...go catch the comet...good report stone

WINNER! The "a_bollocks Award" for nonsensical posting...

Woot!

Peace

chigusa
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby chigusa » Sun Jun 06, 3:52 pm

USBONGLORD wrote:steller douche ..you win...heres yer sign...it says..steller douche..and theres an arrow..it points at the steller douche...yes thats right..its pointing at you...here a nice cold glass of kool aid...go catch the comet...good report stone

i fucking hate myself for this, bo, but what i understand bumlord to be saying here is this, that he,(bumlord), is awarding danny a certificate naming him,(danny), as a steller douche. he mentions that the certificate has an arrow pointing to the steller douche and that the arrow in fact draws the viewer's attention to a picture of danny. bumlord goes on to offer danny a cooling beverage before encouraging him to fuck right off.
bumlord also mentions his approval of blackstone's trip report.

on the whole, i think this a well deserved award for danny and one that has been a long time coming.

you see what's fucking happened? do you? a few weeks of danny's fucking ravings and even bumlord's making sense. i must be brain fucked.

chigusa
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby chigusa » Sun Jun 06, 3:54 pm

come to think of it. bumlord may have meant any one of us, but i like to think he was giving the award to danny. apart from anything else the mental cunt has worked so hard for it.

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Sun Jun 06, 4:04 pm

chigusa wrote:i fucking hate myself for this, bo, but what i understand bumlord to be saying here is this, that he,(bumlord), is awarding danny a certificate naming him,(danny), as a steller douche. he mentions that the certificate has an arrow pointing to the steller douche and that the arrow in fact draws the viewer's attention to a picture of danny. bumlord goes on to offer danny a cooling beverage before encouraging him to fuck right off.
bumlord also mentions his approval of blackstone's trip report.

on the whole, i think this a well deserved award for danny and one that has been a long time coming.

Don't beat yourself up. I understood it as you did in one read, no problem. And agree wholeheartedly.

And nice report BS. I was there at the start and end of the strike. Good thing it didn't warm up. It could have been much worse.

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby uk*bag*lady » Sun Jun 06, 5:24 pm

Blackstone wrote:I’m surprised you haven’t heard of colcannon. It’s merely a shorter version of bubble and squeak. A ‘stamppot’ like mashed potato and veg dish.
1kg potatoes, peeled and diced
250g cabbage, or kale finely sliced
1 bunch of spring onions, finely sliced
2 tablespoons of butter
75ml of milk
A good pinch of sea salt and black pepper

Add the peeled and diced potato to a pot of cold water, cover, place over a high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the potato is tender when pierced with a fork.
Place a metal steamer into another pot, add a little water and bring to the boil. Place the cabbage into the steamer and steam cook until it is tender.
When the potatoes are cooked, remove from the heat, drain into a colander, then add back into the pot with the butter and milk. Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes until smooth and creamy. You may want to add a little bit more or less milk and butter, it is up to you!
Add in the spring onion, steamed cabbage, sea salt and black pepper and stir through with a spoon until evenly combined.
Serve the colcannon straight away with a little extra butter and sea salt if you want.

The older we get, the more simple our tastes, yes?

I thought exactly the same as you did for the first time visitors that had to experience the strike.

Lol! I know what colcannon is ~ it was the Irish stamppot that intrigued me. Or are you saying this is what you call the colcannon?

Older/simpler? Yep!

:-)

NewYork, New York
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby NewYork, New York » Tue Jun 08, 6:32 pm

chigusa wrote:
you see what's fucking happened? do you? a few weeks of danny's fucking ravings and even bumlord's making sense. i must be brain fucked.

Based on your post chigusa, you apparently speak "bonglordese".

Therefore, can we count on you to be the "official Channels interpreter" for Bonglord?

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Tue Jun 08, 9:44 pm

Does Danny even know when his party is?

jerkypete49
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby jerkypete49 » Wed Jun 09, 2:50 pm

Birdman wrote:Does Danny even know when his party is?

Are you gonna be brave enough to make that visit? Not intended as putdown at all. I was asking in the context of the many bizarre posts that danny has made.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Wed Jun 09, 3:23 pm

jerkypete49 wrote:

Are you gonna be brave enough to make that visit? Not intended as putdown at all. I was asking in the context of the many bizarre posts that danny has made.

I will go to the party is I am around that weekend. I've been to about 4 or 5 of Danny's parties, always good times.

I hope to see you there so we can bury the hatchet.

jerkypete49
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby jerkypete49 » Wed Jun 09, 4:02 pm

Birdman wrote:
jerkypete49 wrote:

I will go to the party is I am around that weekend. I've been to about 4 or 5 of Danny's parties, always good times.

I hope to see you there so we can bury the hatchet.

There's no hatchet to bury, Dude. Things are cool. What goes on here is mainly BS anyway.

An invitation to danny's party kinda reminds me of the line from the Adams family movie.

"Be afraid. be very afraid." :-)

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Wed Jun 09, 4:08 pm

jerkypete49 wrote:An invitation to danny's party kinda reminds me of the line from the Adams family movie.

Trust me, you will be more scared by the food and his friends and family than by Danny.

Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Old Fart » Wed Jun 09, 5:18 pm

jerkypete49 wrote:An invitation to danny's party kinda reminds me of the line from the Adams family movie.

Sorry to be all nitpicky and all but…

This phrase originated in the 1986 horror film The Fly, starring Jeff Goldblum (as Seth Brundle) and Geena Davis (as Veronica Quaife). The shortened expression 'be very afraid' was already in use in the USA prior to 1986. For example, it was used in the television series All My Children in 1970.

jerkypete49
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby jerkypete49 » Wed Jun 09, 7:51 pm

Old Fart wrote:

Sorry to be all nitpicky and all but…

This phrase originated in the 1986 horror film The Fly, starring Jeff Goldblum (as Seth Brundle) and Geena Davis (as Veronica Quaife). The shortened expression 'be very afraid' was already in use in the USA prior to 1986. For example, it was used in the television series All My Children in 1970.

Not being picky at all, OF. I sincerely appreciate the information. I like people to correct me when I'm mistaken. Dank u wel.
The Adams family movie was the first time that I heard it. And I saw The Fly, too. I guess 'Wednesday's' delivery made an impression on me.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Wed Jun 09, 8:25 pm

jerkypete49 wrote:The Adams family movie was the first time that I heard it.

Well then, it's Addams, not Adams.

USBONGLORD
super power poster
super power poster

Postby USBONGLORD » Wed Jun 09, 10:03 pm

im so proud of my clearity....almost broke into a vanilla kush happy dance...time for king gordy skankin

jerkypete49
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby jerkypete49 » Wed Jun 09, 10:27 pm

Birdman wrote:
jerkypete49 wrote:The Adams family movie was the first time that I heard it.

Well then, it's Addams, not Adams.

Cool. Thanks.

Blackstone
super poster
super poster

Postby Blackstone » Thu Jun 10, 11:09 am

Danny, your comments have a tone of acrimony to them. The passionate reasoning tenet doesn’t appear to be working as well as you expected. Unless by passionate reasoning you mean the judgmental moralizing of people you don’t know.

As far as your critique about me being a rich asshole counting my money here’s a bit of truth to add to your blog. A truly reasoned or perceptive man does not use worldly possessions or lack thereof as a scale to measure an others inward nature.

I am sorry declining your invitation caused you to become so disturbed.

Blackstone
super poster
super poster

Postby Blackstone » Thu Jun 10, 11:13 am

uk*bag*lady wrote:Lol! I know what colcannon is ~ it was the Irish stamppot that intrigued me. Or are you saying this is what you call the colcannon?

The use of ‘stamppot’ was a little tongue in cheek description I used for the natives benefit. They enjoyed it well enough, but the erwtensoep really made an impression.

Dano
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Dano » Thu Sep 02, 1:05 pm

LMFAO Agreed

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”