Swins diary 2009 Day 5 June 21st

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Swin
super power poster
super power poster

Swins diary 2009 Day 5 June 21st

Postby Swin » Mon Jun 22, 7:14 am

A fabulously laid back quiet morning (but then Saturday is deserted too and Mondays of course as so many shops are 'gesloten') Took a walk around the 'old South' either side of Vondelpark. I briefly found this area last year and was impressed by the superb buildings but someone on here pointed out I had missed the best part so I did it again. Walked through a part of the park and took coffee there. I have to say I wasn't impressed, lots of reseeding work going on and the lakes needs a good clean too. Surrounded of course by 100s of frantically panting, and in some cases, chest-clutching red-faced joggers
Totally deserted streets (nice) soon changed to the tourist hell of Museumplein and the queue for the van Gogh museum. Like a legion of the living dead they lined the steps and along the side of the building. Would-be artists, ear amputee fetishists and those in organised groups led by fierce guides stood patiently shifting rucksacks to more comfortable positions.
Walked through Max Euwe (sp?) Plein towards the Liedseplein and found the Belgica cafe or somesuch name on a corner. It was only 1130 but the lure of Rochfort 10 was too much and I succumbed (on a number of occasions) and managed to persuade a Finnish couple, who had literally just arrived in town and hadn't even checked into their hotel yet, to partake too.
Watched the British GP in a sports bar on Leidseplein (I hate the place but didn't trust the legs to get me back to the hotel in time) and emerged to find it pissing down with rain but in true Amsterdam style by the time I emerged from Wok to Walk (my thanks to whoever recommended that place by the way - it was excellent) the sun was shining again.
A siesta was called for from 5 until 7 which actually turned into 8 before I set off into the Jordaan to look for a little pizza place I had seen. Seeing was one thing but finding it again was another but eventually I stumbled over it in Tuinstraat on the corner of some other street or other. Anyway its superb if anyone ever finds themselves there. Really a takeaway but you can eat on thin counters along the windows, a real woodfired oven and only about 8 or 9 (traditional) different pizzas to choose from - no fancy toppings here.
After that it was a stroll down Prinsengracht, across to Gollem before bed passing what appear to have become rare original examples of Lazer's graffitti work. (all the ones I have seen this time are dated 14/3 which was I presume the last time he got out there can in hand) I have seen A4 size posters on every available wall and waste bin advertising his website so perhaps thats where his stuff will be exclusively from now on. Anyway last nights offering, again on a workmans cabin in Prinsengracht: 'True kings never fade, RIP Iz the Wiz 1958 - 2009'
No doubt someone probably an Amsterdam resident will tell an old fart like me who 'Iz' was.

TAK
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby TAK » Mon Jun 22, 5:29 pm

I just read all 5 days and enjoyed every bit of it. Glad you had a good time in my neighborhood.
It was good talking with you this afternoon on your way home.
As for the pile driver, it is annoying. It's very loud but only in spurts. They should be through with the driving on that side this week. I think (hope) they will wait a while before they do the other side.

Dag
TAK

capecodguy
power poster
power poster

pizza place I think

Postby capecodguy » Wed Jun 24, 6:10 pm

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe= ... .79,,1,2.5

Is this the place swin?? google street view is the bomb

Swin
super power poster
super power poster

Re: pizza place I think

Postby Swin » Wed Jun 24, 7:58 pm

capecodguy wrote:http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=active&q=tuinstraat+amsterdam&ie=UTF8&split=0&gl=us&ei=i1xCStfEBJ_Ktgee66ndAg&ll=52.377066,4.881921&spn=0.006916,0.01929&z=16&layer=c&cbll=52.376971,4.881972&panoid=CCgbRY9zIDHaE2A6DHQNOA&cbp=12,273.79,,1,2.5

Is this the place swin?? google street view is the bomb

That's the one!

Incidentally the tapas bar I was raving about, on day 2 I think it was, is La Plancha at 1e Looiersdwarsstraat 15 - absolutely superb!

Red Pleb
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Red Pleb » Fri Jun 26, 11:15 am

Always pick up the real city vibe with your reports. Good one Swin.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”