Swins diary 2009 Day 4 June 20th

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Swin
super power poster
super power poster

Swins diary 2009 Day 4 June 20th

Postby Swin » Sun Jun 21, 7:16 am

What a great day! Weather, sales of my postzegels and extreme violence on the street in the most unexpected area - what a wonderful place this is.
After an early walk around the Jordaan under cloudy skies I started off at the stamp market as usual on Saturday - all the old boys were in the Cafe Scheltema for coffee and to pour disparagingly over the items I was trying to sell before announcing they were much too expensive.
Talked at length with one particular friend I have made there who introduced me to some other guys I hadn't met before and by 1100 I had sold everything and at a half decent price too - the rate of the pound against the Euro ain't all bad news!
Wandered back to the Jordaan to get a present for my Grand-daughter - I always leave presents until Monday and of course the shop you want is always the one with 'Maandag gesloten' on the damn door
It was a great hot sunny afternoon and the canals were heaving - just how many old ships lifeboats can you get on the Prinsengracht? And just how many women can you get in an old ships lifeboat? About 40 and all absolutely gorgeous was the answer in respect of the one which moored opposite the Cafe Eland to take on more drinks.
Incidentally I have noticed just how busy the city is - I thought it was just because of the good weather and the fact that it was Friday / Saturday but when I spoke to the guy who owns my hotel he said it was the busiest June for six or seven years.
I wandered back to the stamp market to say my goodbyes just in time to witness a savage attack by two rather overweight middle aged stall holders on a young Turkish or Moroccan lad who had decided to serve himself with some coins and stamps without paying.
Now most stamp fairs / markets are, in the words of Mrs Swin, run and attended by 'fusty old men fussing over even fustier pieces of old paper' (and she includes me in that!) but the incident awoke even the most elderly collector dozing in the sunshine as the two started to hand out a savage beating to the lad using two empty black plastic crates they used to carry their stock. Fortunately (but most onlookers appeared disappointed the action ended so quickly) the lad avoided all but half a dozen of the blows and ran off while the two mad assailants mumbled their way back to their stall - who says stamp dealing is boring?
In the evening it was Cafe de Klos again for the lamb shoulder and people watching (or eavesdropping) gave another amusing incident to report. A couple came in, he tall dark about 50 she little dumpy and pig ugly. Now either it was a first date and he fucked up really badly, or they were a long married couple and he was just getting his own back but either way after just a few moments it emerged she didn't eat meat! A non meat eater in the Cafe de Klos FFS! He gleefully ordered a T bone which de Klos fans will know is some piece of meat while she had the onion soup and a roast potato - classic!
Wandered the by now lamp-lit canals, took a couple of beers in the Gollem and back to the hotel - I really don't want to go home on Monday...

chichi123
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby chichi123 » Sun Jun 21, 12:31 pm

Thanks for the trip reports and taking the time. Lovely to hear that a thief was caught in the act. Tell me more about these stamps you were selling?
Cheech

cheese
just in
just in

Postby cheese » Tue Jul 07, 6:10 pm

my girlfriend is vegeatarian and we still goto places like cafe de klos.

you would be surprised what some vegetarians are happy with eating.

a baked potato, salad and soup would sound pretty good to my girlfriend.

Swin
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Swin » Tue Jul 07, 9:08 pm

A bag of frites would sound good to Mrs Swin but that's because I'm a mean bastard

Never hang around with a woman who doesn't eat meat...

Dogbreath
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Dogbreath » Thu Jul 09, 12:28 am

Always a pleasure to read your reports, Swin.

Dogbreath

Philter
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Philter » Thu Jul 09, 1:12 am

Good going Swin - Amsterdam has a certain magic that you capture here very well. It is in fact a great moment when you can earn your keep like that.

I try everytime, usually just get to first base...

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”