Swins diary 2009 Day 3 19th June

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Swin
super power poster
super power poster

Swins diary 2009 Day 3 19th June

Postby Swin » Sat Jun 20, 7:39 am

Visited Utrecht today instead of Leiden. I know Leiden pretty well but had only ever spent a day or so in Utrecht so switched my plans and went there.
Spotted the first piece of what I call 'thought-provoking' (or totally unable to understand) graffitti that I like to report whilst on route to CS. The author was Laser as always and it was on the side of a workman's wooden hut (one of his favourite canvasses) in Herengracht: 'Slipped a dime into your sloth now show us your world' Mmm...
I was very impressed on arrival In Utrecht with the superb 'stationhal' right through the huge modern shopping centre but it was the old centre of town that was outstanding. It was a typical Dutch June day, warm with hot sunshine if you picked the right side of the narrow street to sit for a beer or coffee but then as soon as you did a dirty great cloud obscured the sun until it was time to walk on again.
Talking of walking I decided to visit a postzegel dealer I knew from his visits to UK. Well I thought I knew him but having walked to 404 Amsterdamsestraatweg (which was virtually back in Amsterdam or at least it felt like it!) I found I had the wrong name and my man was in the old part of town less than 200 yards from the Dom Tower where I had just been.
Pissed down with rain during the train journey back to Amsterdam but it was bright sunshine with that beautiful 'drying pavements" smell when I came out of CS. Thankfully the Opstapper / Stop Go was at the station so legs giving way by now I took it back to the hotel
The evening saw me at last trying a restaurant, the Cilubang, that I must have passed a thousand times (well 500 maybe) as its between my hotel and the Cafe Hoppe but which I have never been to despite all those 'I must try that one day' promises.
I'm glad I did as the food was excellent (my thanks to whoever on here recommended it a few months back) and it provided the first of those great 'Amsterdam people watching' moments.
On my arrival the only other diners were three hairy-arsed Dutch guys at the back and a Portuguese couple who despite the warm evening sat with their coats on throughout their meal.
Enter British family of four who have reserved the window table. Father is clearly in charge with a 'If you've had one shit I've had two' attitude. Son was tall 25ish and reserved and his girlfriend or possibly his sister was absolutely gorgeous. The party was completed by a woman in her late 30s who was clearly too young to be the boys mother so was I supect Father's second wife or maybe girlfriend. She had a face like a smacked arse which she maintained throughout the ordering as Father tried to decide what everyone else should eat.
Exit the three Dutch guys, two embrace on the pavement in a 'see you tomorrow for a pint mate' type of hug and male 1 leaves. Male 2 then turns to male 3 and sticks his tongue down his throat in a decidedly non 'see-you-later-for-a-pint' way. Slapped arse face nearly has a seizure.
After that the mass of mixed humanity that was the Gollem was decidely uninteresting and after a few Westmalles Swin stumbled home
Last edited by Swin on Sun Jun 21, 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Boner
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Boner » Sat Jun 20, 11:11 am

Just read all 3 days worth of your reports, really enjoyed them, I'm a fan of Cilubang as well.

nellie
super power poster
super power poster

Postby nellie » Sat Jun 20, 3:18 pm

Great reports Swin.

Can I ask where the opstapper stop is at Central to go along prinsengracht?

hebe
power poster
power poster

reports

Postby hebe » Sat Jun 20, 4:13 pm

swim,i have enjoyed your trip reports immensl,a lot. best people watching in the world there.brings back memories. nice way with the words,thanks for the effort....lite one for me

Swin
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Swin » Sun Jun 21, 6:51 am

nellie wrote:Great reports Swin.

Can I ask where the opstapper stop is at Central to go along prinsengracht?

Nellie
Its a bit complicated in fact I nearly missed it - only frantic gesticulating and waving induced him to stop

Basically it now starts and finishes at Oosterdok rather than CS so there's no clear terminus to stand at. On the outward journey from Oosterdok it passes behind CS and then under the railway line emerging alongside the big bicycle park at the western end of CS near the taxi rank before heading for Prinsengracht.
There is an Opstapper (Stop Go) 'bus stop' / sign near there but don't be fooled into waiting there (like I did) as the thing cant even get to the stop because of the taxi rank and will emerge thirty yards away and roar off without you

nellie
super power poster
super power poster

Postby nellie » Mon Jun 22, 1:49 am

That is almost the same as happened to me. I thought you had cracked it

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”