Sharing of Memories--4

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Lefthanded
just in
just in

Sharing of Memories--4

Postby Lefthanded » Sun Mar 15, 11:18 pm

Already been plotting to escape again as soon as Zee and I got back home. Maybe a summer getaway this time around, as to have a better weather situation? Yes, sounds like a plan. Wished I had known about Channels back then, it sooo would have been a better way to have gotten a hotel and such. We stayed at Casa Cara last year, but as luck would have it, that was their very last year of operation. They were moving to Spain and the building had already been sold.
I had a plan though, about a place I wanted to stay for a while, hopefully it will work out. We decided a date and pinged an email to the hotel site, and Viola we were set to go, we had or space, scored our flight, and the long countdown brought us to right here... It’s bye-bye all, we’ll see you in two weeks.

Slept like logs on the flight, and got there ready to let it roll, bright-eyed couple of bitches we were... In good sisterhood spirit, a term of endearment.
A quick trip to the powder room and let’s roll or luggage down to Barney’s and wait for the hotel to open.
Oh me, the breakfast was not as good as usual, but still eatable. Weed was good though when we lit up after the meal. Sweet goodness, we are here again, Zee. Life is good, really good at times like these. Never mind the less than usual quality of breakfast, which didn’t seem to matter at this time.

Now we both knew our way around and sometimes would head off for our own adventures and catch up later. She had a bunch of brochures and wanted to check out Volendam and Marken. Me? I wanted to check out Haarlem and areas near the Artis Zoo. I like walking and looking at things, any things, unusual things. I am boring at times when I become endlessly intrigued with watching people go by, seeing their interaction with others as they crease by each others path. Been known to doodle some of them in my scratch-pad. Some person will catch my eye with a different walk, or look, or something different about them, then they become another addition to my scratch-pad of the different. That’s my particular trick for remembering an event, we all how our different ways I’m sure.

Still this doodling is to others a bit of a waste of time at best, is how I drink in the things I see and hear. I do see how people have found it annoying, maybe like I am mad, or sad, or what they would perceive it, but it is just the endless intrigues of nothingness. The small things that intertwine and make the big picture, the, the, never mind, couldn’t explain to them in person, print can’t be much better... Moving on now.

How abut a smoke and a coffee? Good I was hoping so.
Zee and I decided to meet up at a place we had never been, just to pop in and give a look if nothing else. The Front Page Coffeeshop on Zoutsteeg 14, was setup earlier as that point of location. We had some sort of small coffeeshop guide book and it had suggested it as one of the good ones. I arrived first and it was really neat. Good buys, and specials on the menu. Likely some of the best coffee I ever drank in my life here as well. Kind of place where you would pop in and read the paper, have a coffee and smoke, chat a bit, meet a friend, then head out to your job or on with your holiday.

I had one nearly rolled up when Zee showed, so she ordered a coffee, chilled, and told of her adventures that day. She can really get around, my additions were minimal in comparison. I have asked her to join the forum and write of her adventures, but she is a lot busier than I am, if that’s possible. So we enjoyed our smoke, paid the tab and left a little somethin’-somethin’ for the barkeep. Nice fellow, kisses on each check and off we go.
As a personal thought I had always meant to return, but even to this day I have not. I am not even sure it is in operation any longer as I have not read anything on it in a while? My loss, it was a nice little place and had the best coffee I ever remember tasting, ever.

We seen some sites this time and even more museums than last time. We checked out the Anne Frank House and Van Gogh, and even the Torture Museum, which was a bit unusual and I still wonder why I went in... When in Rome they say. Enjoy the sites.
A lot of times we would walk and end up in Spui. It seemed that in a lot of going here and there we kept finding our way back right there. Good thing too, as it was a nice area. We would stop in at that Cafe Luxembourg with the big glass windows in front and grab a nice sandwich or meal or soup, and just watch life go by, trams too. Sometimes the place right next to it with the outside seats and tables, then we could hear everything go by as well as see it.

The last few days are always a mixed-emotion-time, and I wonder should this end or should I be home sick? A little of both I guess. I guess. I guess.
I try and enjoy the last few days as much I do the very first day. You simply got to treasure any time you get to escape the rat race for a while.
Got some cheese for friends back home, the good stuff so they really smile when I get back. They do have some hot-dam cheese shops here, mixed in with the other wonderful shops equally as hot-dam.
Hot-dam is my words form um um good.
Got a few coffeeshop t-shirts for a few of my hush-hush friends back home, for their private collections. They cherish every one I bring them, like gold or something.

Just a word about these late night supermarkets popping up around town, they can really save you late in the eve when you need a drink or a snack, let me tell you. One on Utretchsestraat the fellow would have huge smiles every time we, or sometimes just I, would come in around 11:00 and score some good munchies. Jolly fellow, but you just know that he knew we were toasted at times. We mind our manners, but do giggle from time to time. Maybe a dead giveaway?

We say our see you next times and head to the airport. Go to check our1 bag each, but while in line this nice Customs agent asked very politely if he could search us, just normal procedure and purely random he assures us.
We agree and walk to a small table, and this other agent just takes a very casual look at our bags. The first guy asked what we did on holiday? We named a few of the sites and museums and he said to have a safe return home. That was it, he even let us check our bags ahead of the whole line and then we could head for the outside to have our last smoke... Which was the only thing we had on us, neatly tucked in my bra.

Outside smoking our doobage very casually, when that agent suddenly appeared. We didn’t act scared, for some reason we weren’t scared at all. He lit his cigarette, and we began to talk him up a bit. Well mentioned that this was all we had left and had nothing funny in our luggage or person. He seemed most assured we were truthful, and said he could tell when he brought us two over to the table, you had nothing to hide, and not nervous at all. Enjoy you last smoke, it’s no problem standing right here.
He was a very nice fellow, and it’s warming to think that human beings wear Customs uniforms. Should have been obvious all along, it’s just that you can bet if this were Atlanta, we would be in Jail right about then. I love this Country, and only dread having to leave.

We had a rather lengthy conversation with him while smoking, that also left me feeling good about things in general. I did point out that I had this joint in my bra while at the table. He replied by saying that I knew in my mind that I brought that joint to do with just as I am now... To have a final smoke in remembrance of the nice time we two obviously had and to bid us a good day.

Curled up with a pillow,
Lefty

burn001down
power poster
power poster

Postby burn001down » Mon Mar 16, 4:24 pm

CS Front Page is now part of the Kadinsky chain.

cjcarr
power poster
power poster

Postby cjcarr » Mon Mar 16, 6:03 pm

Another nice memory report, enjoyed it.... When I read your writing, it also brings back my memories as well.

Liked the final smoke part and seeing the customs agent...

Any more reports? How many times have you been to AMS?

Chili Ed
super poster
super poster

Postby Chili Ed » Sun Mar 22, 4:56 am

Nice reporting Lefthanded! I have thoroughly enjoyed all of your reports.

Thanks,

Chili

Lefthanded
just in
just in

Postby Lefthanded » Sat Mar 28, 5:20 am

Thanks for the compliments, you're so kind.
I might of guessed Front Page changed... Darnit.

Bout 5 more reports, total of 9 trips through the years.

Lefty

bigbird
super poster
super poster

Postby bigbird » Wed Apr 01, 2:14 am

Thanks for sharing. Your enjoyment of Amsterdam is evident in your writing. Peace to you and yours.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”