Sharing of Memories--1

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Lefthanded
just in
just in

Sharing of Memories--1

Postby Lefthanded » Sun Feb 22, 5:23 am

Preface >> Arrived here at Channels not quite a year ago, and when having the time, which is rare when you have such a rigid work schedule, I have been reading a lot of the forums, especially the trip reports section. My God, it spans years in the episodes of endless adventures of many of you Channelites and the roads you have traveled. Nothing I could write could compare to the already mountain of reports I have read here. Though, seeing how I have shared by way of reading, all of your adventures, I felt it be the fair thing to share the scattered memories I have, with all of you.
My name is Laura, but please, please, please call me Lefty. I have not had a trip to Amsterdam in a while now, so I am composing these thoughts that are a collective from several decades of travel. Not that I am that old mind you, just traveled early, and have always, always, always, been busy. Inject a thought from a Cars song here >> It takes a fast car lady, to lead a double life...

On with this thing.

Sitting at a corner cafe with a fresh pressed cup of Java sitting before me on a small round table, that was just wobbly enough to be suitable, with my high heel wedged against one leg that is. The morning breeze was filled with the sweet smells of a bakery just down the street, and my coffee as well. So young I was, so unknowing of just how much beauty this city had in store for me. So lacking of the hard core concern of the adult yet, so short the skirt I was wearing, OH those were the days indeed.

Near De Pijp, and up the ways a bit I could hear the sounds of children playing soccer in a courtyard, and laughing a bit during playtime. It is such joy to hear children laughing, even if but nearly 2 decades old myself I fully understand the need for laughter. After a bit of a stroll I remember smelling the scent of some herbage in the wind. Why not a sample? OK, just a bit never hurt anyone. A fellow with some nice buds in a Tupperware bowl, in some sort of cafe, and some Guilders from me, and it was roll me a scoober time. After the roll I figured I would skip as 2 drooling oafs had their foamy mouth on. eeewwww.

Being young, being so far from my waves meet the shore home in the US, I felt strangely at ease, and comfortable here. Even given the shop I just left with the droolers, as they were harmless, but merely coping a peek up my skirt. Walking past shops, holding my doob like a cigarette, and after 5 or 10 I snubbed it and pursed it for later. Now trying to be a little more alert because somewhat high heels and the streets of Amsterdam require a smidgen of focus.

Later on the same journey, my first, an open air market was simply splendid for some bargain shopping, and with the exchange rate at near 1.65 Guilder to the dollar at the time, it was unbelievable. This place is a girls fun place, and I spent hours, several more days strolling the Cuyp Market. Look, holy jeebahs, they even have food stands here, and cheese shops as well. What an array of vendors aligns this straat, and some even chant their sales pitches as people walked by. In their language of course, and so very interesting to hear... Nothing like back home.

So few memories of that first time there, but smiles come over me at the ones I have. The amazing and very talented street performers I saw never leave my mind. Once a Russian couple, he a violin player, she a chelo, entertained me for hours, as they played for customers at tables outside the cafe I was eating at. I do believe all of us on the patio enjoyed it very much, and made contributions to the hat. I still hear their echoing music in my mind to this very day. You could see the passion on both their faces as they played music I never heard before, but suddenly love it, I mean love it.

The hours I spent people watching at Central Station, and to see them shuffle off to there desired locations. The mixed array of faces you see, the different feelings of either urgency or carefree each face seemingly displayed. Always been a bit of a doodler, so I made a few sketches of the more complex looking faces. Why I do these things? I often wonder if it's just how I see life, and what it is that makes us all who we are.

With some other thoughts of the delicious food I enjoyed while there, some very good music playing at some of the establishments I felt fortunate enough to have visited, and interesting people I remember meeting, the trip fades into the halls of my memories. This being until the next time I find myself wandering through them.

Curled up with a pillow,
Lefty

FlyByNite
super power poster
super power poster

Postby FlyByNite » Sun Feb 22, 6:21 am

The detailed memories of my first trip have faded into antiquity. Though there are a few that will be life long.
Upon return to the US, I was so pleased with this amazing place I had found.
I must have liked it, I've been back 20+ times with more to come.

I see you still haven't acquired an avatar.

Enjoy
FlyByNite - Travel preference, not business practice

Coffeeshop Frog Hollow
home of the
Whos In Town
and
Coffeeshop Menus
pages.

mobiljenny
super power poster
super power poster

Postby mobiljenny » Sun Feb 22, 4:48 pm

smokedpeppers
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: Sharing of Memories--1

Postby smokedpeppers » Sun Feb 22, 7:33 pm

Lefthanded wrote: The hours I spent people watching at Central Station, and to see them shuffle off to there desired locations. The mixed array of faces you see, the different feelings of either urgency or carefree each face seemingly displayed. Always been a bit of a doodler, so I made a few sketches of the more complex looking faces. Why I do these things? I often wonder if it's just how I see life, and what it is that makes us all who we are.

.................completely relate

octafish
power poster
power poster

Postby octafish » Sun Feb 22, 10:25 pm

mobiljenny wrote:http://tinyurl.com/d2xqlu

woot?

Philter
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Philter » Thu Feb 26, 1:28 am

Yeah woot for sure, this is an ultimate report status. Thank you for sharing Lefty.

Sir Ian of Tokesville
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Sir Ian of Tokesville » Thu Feb 26, 10:52 pm

Lefty, great report nice writing.

Free introductory avatar if you want it.

cjcarr
power poster
power poster

Postby cjcarr » Mon Mar 02, 3:18 am

Great writing Lefty, really enjoyed it. Any more things you can share with us about your adventures to Amsterdam?

NewYork, New York
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby NewYork, New York » Mon Mar 02, 5:26 pm

Lefty, I noticed you mentioned an exchange rate in guilders.

If I might ask, how old is this trip report?

Lefthanded
just in
just in

Postby Lefthanded » Thu Mar 05, 2:27 am

Gosh, I didn't expect so many replies and thank you all so much for the compliments.
Nice site FlyByNite, and thanks to Sir Ian, I believe I will take you up on the kind offer.
New York, this first part is a collective of my memories from my very first adventure, which was several decades ago. Each part I write will be of the next trip after and so on and so on. Trying to get some time Friday night to add another part to this thing.

Curled up with a pillow,
Lefty

NewYork, New York
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby NewYork, New York » Thu Mar 05, 2:25 pm

Lefthanded wrote:Gosh, I didn't expect so many replies and thank you all so much for the compliments.
Nice site FlyByNite, and thanks to Sir Ian, I believe I will take you up on the kind offer.
New York, this first part is a collective of my memories from my very first adventure, which was several decades ago. Each part I write will be of the next trip after and so on and so on. Trying to get some time Friday night to add another part to this thing.

Curled up with a pillow,
Lefty

"Several Decades ago"? Are you serious?

I can barely remember my last trip to the Dam. And I went about 8 weeks ago.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”