The First Day

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

trekman
just in
just in

The First Day

Postby trekman » Sat Dec 20, 8:59 pm

Day One – Nov. 24

I just love the first tokes after arriving in the Netherlands. This time was especially satisfying as I haven’t smoked any weed since April, my last trip to Europe. I moved to Virginia in May and haven’t met anyone here who smokes. But I know they’re here.

My plane landed at Schipol a little after 7 a.m. and used the train, metro and tram to get to my hotel in the Sloterdijk area of Amsterdam. On the way to the hotel, I stepped outside Sloterdijk Station and took in the scenery. It was snowing, commuters were scurrying off to work and an old man was playing a monotonously repetitious Middle Eastern riff on his clarinet. The tune sounded familiar. I remembered a time when I was kid -- turning the dials on my father’s shortwave receiver and, over the static, hearing a similar tune, consisting of about six notes, being played over and over again. Maybe this is what passes for musical entertainment in Turkey. But it wasn’t making the grade in the West of Amsterdam on a cold, snowy Monday morning. No coins were dropped in the old clarinet player’s case.

I was able to check at the Hotel Blue Square early. I liked the room – big ass flat panel television, nice firm bed with a thick comforter, free wi-fi and free breakfast. It was out of the way. But a room this well-appointed in the Centrum would have cost me twice as much.

At about 11 a.m. I hobbled down the street to catch the tram that would take me to my first coffee shop. I was in physical misery. I had arthroscopic surgery on my left knee to remove torn cartilage three weeks before my trip. All the walking through the airport, walking down the stairs at the train and metro stations had taken a toll on me. On the way to the tram stop, I sat on a bench to rest my aching leg and was soon joined by an elderly lady who also needed to take a load off.

I forged ahead. The sweet leaf awaited me. On my way to the now closed Cheech and Chong Coffee Shop, the tram passed the Happy Place Coffee Shop. I hobbled back to the Happy Place and got a gram and a half of its best seller, twisted up a fatty and burned it down. Happy Place was not a happening place so I went outside and waited for my buzz to creep up on me.

I sat on a bench and noticed a flock of seagulls engaged in a feeding frenzy near a canal bridge. Someone on a boat must have tossed out food for them. After the food was gone, the gulls flew out of the area in the same direction, except for one. This bird left the flock and started zooming around the square. He (or she) would beat his wings furiously in one direction, snap a turn, fly like mad in the other direction and turn around again. He also climbed and dived with the same exuberance and his show of aerial mastery lasted a couple of minutes. He finally came to rest on a high ledge overlooking the square. I looked at him for a couple of minutes, hoping that he’d perform for me again. And then it hit me – wow, am I stoned. Yes, I’m feeling good now. Yes, my leg is still killing me. But I’m not worried about it.

It was about 1 p.m. about the time I got back to the hotel. There was a Channels and ACD meet and greet and De Kuil at 6 p.m. But at this point I had been up about 22 hours straight. I didn’t sleep on the plane despite taking four oxycotins. Unlike other trans-Atlantic flights I’ve taken, hardly anyone slept. Even the flight attendants were up-all-night party animals. The back galley, near my seat, seemed to be the most-happening place in the Friendly Skies.

As much as I wanted to meet these people in real life, it wasn’t going to happen. I was too damned tired and too much in pain. I had a warm bed, HD TV, free wi-fi, nicely stocked vending machines down the hall and a gram of white widow. I really didn’t need to go anywhere.

shezzuk1

Postby shezzuk1 » Sun Dec 21, 2:00 am

trekman wrote: No coins were dropped in the old clarinet player’s case.

LMAO man...reminds me of a_bollocks

chichi123
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby chichi123 » Sun Dec 21, 2:09 am

That was excellent and I thank you Trekman.

Philter
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Philter » Sun Dec 21, 1:57 pm

What is the rate you got at the hotel?

Which tram do you take 4 or 5 or?

mobiljenny
super power poster
super power poster

Postby mobiljenny » Sun Dec 21, 5:01 pm

I like trip reports.

Thanks for sharing,
chuckje.

trekman
just in
just in

Postby trekman » Sun Dec 21, 7:44 pm

Philter wrote:What is the rate you got at the hotel?

Which tram do you take 4 or 5 or?

60 E for the room. 7 and 14 for the trams.

luvtick
power poster
power poster

Postby luvtick » Mon Dec 22, 2:39 pm

What's a little pain when you are in Amsterdam! ;) Bravo to you for forging ahead while you could! (and for stopping when you knew you needed to...)

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”