(4) PRAGUE - THE END

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

(4) PRAGUE - THE END

Postby uk*bag*lady » Fri Nov 07, 11:12 pm

It is Friday already and my last full day in Prague awaits me. The weather is a little damp but will soon clear up and turn into a day that was ok for late September ~ I’ve been really lucky as usual with the weather!

So I enjoyed my breakfast but didn’t dally as I wanted to be out and about to see and do those last few things on my list. I got the good old number 14 tram down to Namesti Republiky and first of all had a look round the Kotvashopping centre and chose some Bohemian crystal gifts to bring home for my friends and my daughter in law. And a puppet for little Josephwhen he’s a little older; you can’t come to Prague and not buy a puppet. I even treated myself to a new handbag!

I wandered then to Stare Mesto and sat for a short while in the Church of Our Lady Before Tynwhose lower half is almost hidden behind the pretty facades of the houses in front. I watched as tourists took rides in horse drawn carriagesor on the little green Eko Express train that goes around the city

I had a walk around the small but colourful street marketat the lower end of Wenceslas Square looking at the wooden toys for sale and the lovely flowers

By now my left foot which had started to be a bit of a problem yesterday began getting painful again so I hopped on the 22 tramand went out to Bílá Hora where, in 1620 there was the famous Battle of Bílá Horaor White Mountain.

Jan Jesenský (also known as Jesenius) was a nobleman who took part in the historic Battle of Bílá Hora which was a decisive battle for the Czech Lands in the Thirty Years’ War. Jesenský, with 26 other fighters, was put to death for his part in the battle. In 1621, all twenty-seven men were executed on the Old Town Square in Prague, in front of the Town Hall. The cobbles in front of the building now bear a tribute to the men of Bílá Hora,showing twenty-seven crossesand the date of their execution.
Jesenský, a very learned man, held the first ever public autopsy in Prague. One of the men viewing the autopsy was public executioner Jan Mydlář - and he would swing the swords that decapitated his former professor and twenty-three others in one day.
The executions began at 5 a.m., the morning of June 21, 1621. Public executioner Mydlář had four swords at the ready for a hard day’s work. Over the next four hours, he beheaded twenty-four of the men and hanged the other three.
Jesenský went through yet another ordeal before the sword severed his head. As an additional torture for this man who was renowned for his speaking skills, the executioner hacked out his tongue. After the executions Jesenský’s body was quartered and placed on spikes outside the city gate on the road to Kutná Hora
A legend has it that some years after the executions, Mydlář (by then living a secluded existence in a small village far from Prague) confessed to his only friend that he was the man who had performed the infamous executions. He claimed that he was haunted by the ghosts of all twenty-seven noblemen, who gave him no peace. He also said that one day, when visited by Jesenský, one of the swords hanging on his wall fell against another one; both swords slipped out of their sheaths. Mydlář knew this to be an omen that one day he would execute Jesenský with that same sword - as he did.

It was nice up at Bílá Hora on such a lovely day, nice too to be out of the city for a little while. But there wasn’t that much time left now so I returned and got another tram, this time to Andel. I really wanted to go to the Futura gallery on Holeckova. It’s an interesting place in an old factory where many of the exhibits are set in cellars. But out in the quiet little garden you can find yet another example of the work of David Cerny. This piece is called Brown Nosersand the torsos are about 12 – 15 feet high. If you climb the ladder and take an ‘anal’ view you can see a short film of puppets in the form of the National Gallery director Milan Knizak and the Czech President Vaclav Klaus feeding each other gruel

I made my way back to the city centre and stopped for a beer at the grand cafe Slaviawhich has wonderful views over the Vlatava to Prague Castle.

Then I walked along the riverside to Resslova and the Orthodox Cathedral of Ss Cyril and Methodiusto see the exhibition about the assassination of Heydrich and the story of what happened to the men responsible for his death.
In May 1942, two Czechoslovak paratroopers sent by the government in exile in London carried out the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich, the Bohemian puppet state's Nazi overseer.
The paratroopers, along with several partisans who assisted in the plot, fled to the crypt of the Orthodox Cathedral of Ss. Cyril and Methodus.
Another partisan however betrayed them to the Germans, who tried first of all to shoot their way into the crypt, then to flush the men out with water. Sadly, on realising there was no escape, the resistance fighters committed suicide.
The dramatic story is retold in the crypt of the church where the events took place, entitled the National Memorial to the Heroes of the Heydrich Terror.
The museum also tells the story of the Czech people who resisted the Nazi occupation. Even though these were relatively few, hundreds of innocent people (including almost the entire village of Lidice) paid with their lives for the Heydrich assassination.
I found the whole exhibition very sad and moving. Especially in the crypt itself where silver coins and remembrance poppieshave been left over the years

I left the crypt and made my way back to my hotel. It was early evening and I needed a rest and then to find some dinner. I returned to Dhoula a little while later and had a meal with a couple I’d met in the restaurant the evening before. I think they were glad of the company and I know that I was. The one downside of being alone in a city is that most meals are eaten alone with no-one to talk over the days events with

So Saturday dawned and after breakfast I packed and waited for my car to take me to Ruyzne for the short flight home. Even at the airport there were some interesting statues!

And that was the end of my second trip to the Czech Republic. I’d enjoyed it immensely and discovered new things to see as well as looking in a little more depth at things I’d seen the year before

Prague is a fascinating city, so much history there, so many quirky things to see. But I do feel that I have seen all I want to now and probably won’t return. I have an interest in the Holocaust and really want to go to Southern Poland next year to visit Auschwitz

But Prague is a place I would recommend to others. If you like the romanticism and the splendour of a bygone age you will enjoy this city. If you have an interest in Castles and Churches it is a wonderful place

I hope you’ve enjoyed reading MY thoughts about the city. Maybe it brought back some memories for you or has inspired you to plan a trip of your own!
Last edited by uk*bag*lady on Sat Nov 08, 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cat
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Cat » Fri Nov 07, 11:57 pm

A very enjoyable read. Cheers!

TrekknHil
super power poster
super power poster

Postby TrekknHil » Sat Nov 08, 12:23 am

I can't tell you how much I admire you :)

Great report...thanks for all the great pictures.

FitZerOy
power poster
power poster

Postby FitZerOy » Sat Nov 08, 2:00 am

yes indeedy...

A very good read...

Ta

JULIET
mega power poster
mega power poster

Cheers

Postby JULIET » Mon Nov 10, 2:26 am

UKBL

I have just read all your trip reports. What a lovely time you had.

Thank you for the recommendations especially about the romanticism and castles, just up my street that. So now I have read that report I know I definately want to go to Prague. It may be next year or the year after but you have inspired me dear, thanks very much.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Mon Nov 10, 4:13 pm

Brava! Well done.

Peace

TAK
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby TAK » Sun Nov 16, 12:21 pm

Thank you dear, for your wonderful reports. I have to go back. You have shown me so much that I missed.

Dag
TAK

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby uk*bag*lady » Sun Nov 16, 12:31 pm

TAK wrote:Thank you dear, for your wonderful reports. I have to go back. You have shown me so much that I missed.

Dag
TAK

That was exactly the reason I went for the second time TAK. I discovered that I missed so much the first time; if only I'd walked a few steps further, if only I'd gone down this street and not that one!

But I think I've done it now. Only one thing was left undone on my list

:-)

TAK
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby TAK » Sun Nov 16, 4:37 pm

uk*bag*lady wrote:
TAK wrote:Thank you dear, for your wonderful reports. I have to go back. You have shown me so much that I missed.

Dag
TAK

That was exactly the reason I went for the second time TAK. I discovered that I missed so much the first time; if only I'd walked a few steps further, if only I'd gone down this street and not that one!

Well, please don't leave us hanging. What is it that you didn't get to?

Dag
TAK

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby uk*bag*lady » Sun Nov 16, 4:42 pm

TAK wrote:
uk*bag*lady wrote:

Dag
TAK

Well, please don't leave us hanging. What is it that you didn't get to?

Dag
TAK

Oh sorry! Well I'd wanted to go to the remains/memorial of the small village of LIDICE which was raised to the ground as a reprisal for the assasination of Heydrich. But I just ran out of time

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby LastHamlet » Thu Nov 20, 9:06 pm

TrekknHil wrote:I can't tell you how much I admire you :)

Great report...thanks for all the great pictures.

My feelings exactly.
This is an excellent set of reports UKBL, and with the added links, much more enjoyable for the experience.

Many Thanks For letting us tag along.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”