Journey to Mecca, Day One

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Professor
power poster
power poster

Journey to Mecca, Day One

Postby Professor » Tue Nov 18, 6:33 am

Hi everyone. I just got back. Decided to wait till I got home to post because I use technology constantly in my work and wanted to take a break for a while. Here goes.

This was my first trip to Amsterdam. I really appreciated everything I learned from this site because it made the trip much better.

My son had just gotten back from Saudi and came to visit the week before the trip, which was fun. I took him back to the air force base in the morning.
October 27 I left Honolulu at midnight, it's the only way to make the mainland connections. I was so excited all day I could hardly stand it. The last few hours were agonizing, so I went to the airport a few hours early.
I am flying to San francisco, then Washington DC, then Amsterdam. Takes 31 hours and about 20 hours of air travel. I was very fortunate to travel business and first class on my free ticket (miles). It made all the difference on this long trip, plus access to the Red Carpet Clubs. I arrived in SF about 5 minutes before the next flight took off. In SF I am bumped up to first class for the next leg. What a great omen! I am traveling light with only a carry-on back pack that weighs about 10kg. Just for amusement, I brought my textbook with me for my class "Legal and Illegal Drugs". I get to IAD and run into my next door neighbor! He and his girlfriend are on their way to ...Amsterdam! Pretty small world. I had no idea he liked to smoke too, even though we've talked many times. 1730 hours I finally get on the plane to the Netherlands. My seatmate is a Dr. from Jordan who works in public health, especially HIV/AIDS. She trained in the Netherlands and was stopping on her way home to see friends.

29 Oct 0730
Arrival at Schiphol. cruise through customs since I don't have get any baggage. No one is there and suddenly this young customs guy comes running out laughing "sorry, we were having coffee". He looks at my passport for 2 seconds and says "go have fun". Getting the train ticket was easy and in a little while I'm at Central station. It is SO COLD. I get out scarf, gloves and jacket. Still freezing. I walk across the street and down Prince Hendrikade and then up the Singel to Hotel Brouwer. It is too early to check in but they take my bag and tell me to come back at noon. I am off to my first coffeeshop, Picasso. The dealer is cool, he used to live in Maui. I ask for something light and buy a gram of "blowtje" for 5€ and some espresso. I go upstairs to a nice room and roll up a smoke. Very nice and perfect for my jetlagged brain. A guy comes in a sits down with me. He is from Haarlem. We smoke and talk for about an hour. Then I'm off to the Amsterdam History Museum. I highly recommend this as a starting point for understanding the place. They have a very cool exhibit showing the history through the lives of the children of the city. Then I go and check in at the Brower. I am in the "Hals" room, a single for 50€. Nice room, unbelievable stairs. As Dogbreath said, this is a zen kind of place, low frills but I instantly like it. I am solo on a trip for 19 days and hoping to find some self-discovery along the way.

I get a map and find the albert heijn market to buy goodies-chocolate, fruit, chocomel, etc. I like to picnic. Outside is a herring stand so I buy one. Great, just like sashimi back home. I am off to Siberie. This shop is also close to the hotel and becomes one of my regular daily places to smoke. The shop is busy, lots of people playing chess, smoking, buyers in and out all the time. Sort of chill music. I buy some thai cuz I know it will be mild. it is and perfect for my now fried brain.

It is hard to express how I feel. First of all, there is a lot of energy on the streets.Bikes are zipping everywhere. Trams and cars. People are walking really alertly to avoid being run over. The real glory is tasting so many kinds of smoke and just doing it naturally. Feels funny and good at the same time. Time is doing that slow/fast thing-Only moments have passed but my watch says 45 minutes. I buy some siberian tiger and only smoke a little cuz I don't want to get lost on the way back to the hotel in the dark.

Walking back I accidently discover the singel RLD. This is a mini RLD right by the hotel. I am walking along and I look up totally surprised. For a second I thought it was a mannikin in the window but no it was an older bleached blond with heavy eye makeup beckoning me into her kamer. Very disconcerting. Up to my room for a quick picnic dinner, I am soo tired. After I eat I feel re-energized and find Cafe Chocolata a block away. I got some polm hash, 5€ and smoke it in a cig. The dealer sells me some chocolate mist and I head across to Magic Valley smart shop to get a pipe.
The dealer there was super knowledgeable and nice. Finally I try the chocolatemist, very nice, small well cured buds. The buds glitter. I smoke some on the bridge outside the hotel and climb up to my room. The chocomist is far better than my previous smokes. Up in my room I have my first chocomel. Today has been perfect! Unreal. I know I will sleep peacefully. I go to bed at 2200. I doze off thinking-all of this and it is just the first day!

aloha

Elvis
power poster
power poster
Location: A long Long Time Age,..in a univesve far, far away...

Most Excellant Post professor...

Postby Elvis » Tue Nov 18, 7:48 am

Hmmm...Great post...has my mouth watering...and that was just day one post...keep us "A'Dam Jonesers" posted on your adventure in "Disneyland"

L8R....!

GT
power poster
power poster

Postby GT » Tue Nov 18, 4:36 pm

what a great start! that jet lag has to be rough.
looking forward to more adventures :-)

DedBud
super power poster
super power poster

Postby DedBud » Tue Nov 18, 4:55 pm

Man that's dedication to take a trip that long to get to Mokum. Glad you felt it paid off right away. Keep the great trip report coming.

Newbie Doo2
power poster
power poster

Postby Newbie Doo2 » Tue Nov 18, 5:17 pm

Great report........I'm looking forward to reading more.

Regards
ND2

moe.
super power poster
super power poster

Postby moe. » Tue Nov 18, 6:32 pm

Jeez, and I thought I had a long flight...whew!! You got off to a great start, can't wait to read more...thanks!

moe.

a bollocks
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: Not A'dam dam'it..... a traveler, a heart, no woot for you.

Postby a bollocks » Tue Nov 18, 9:39 pm

Great report, Professore!

You hit the ground running, and having read your 2nd report, never stopped. I will take your advice on the AHMuseum.

If only one could fly the other way from Hawaii. It seems it would be shorter, but what do I know? That danged airspace thingy. Time for treaties with China for Mokum travel. Mebbe the USA/Atlantic way is shorter, I would like to know, not being a crow I can't decipher.

WOOP!

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

What a plane ride.

Postby LastHamlet » Wed Nov 19, 2:40 am

That was sure enough a long journey,,,Whew...
There is nothing like seeing Amsterdam for the first time. It is an amazing set of events all set into motion. Thanks for taking me back to my first trip, it was quite the mental journey.
Fantastic first day, and after such a long plane ride... Hats Off, and keep the thoughts coming.

(Footnote: I really need to look into these flight upgrades. Sounds Sweet.)

Mr. Charlie
super poster
super poster

Postby Mr. Charlie » Thu Nov 20, 5:44 pm

WOW - and I thought a 14 hour trip including stops was bad!! That's some travel tolerance, there!!

Congrats and enjoy!! Keep the reports coming!

Puffbob
regular
regular

Journey to Mecca...

Postby Puffbob » Thu Nov 20, 7:09 pm

Thank you Professor for sharing day one! I look forward to the day I make my "journey" and until then I savor the experiences you and others like you share. Keep them coming.................

Maid Marian
power poster
power poster

First Time! Great

Postby Maid Marian » Fri Nov 21, 12:39 am

Thanks Professor!! I really enjoy reading the first time trip reports and yours was so detailed. I hungrily await my first time to visit and appreciate all of you that post such great reports. What a long flight!! It didn't seem to slow you down any tho. Enjoy!!!

Peace.........Maid Marian

hank
power poster
power poster

Postby hank » Sat Nov 22, 1:47 am

Great report prof, I think it's kind of a coincidence that I was all set to go to Amsterdam to celebrate my birthday at the same time you went, instead I chose to go to maui. You know I think the weed is better in Maui than in Amsterdam, in fact I know it is. The Pakalolo feilds just keep producing. Looking forward to your next report, thanks.

Professor
power poster
power poster

Hank

Postby Professor » Sat Nov 22, 10:07 pm

Hi, Hank, what great irony! We do have great smokes over here. We also have this thing called "operation green harvest" a federally supported program to eradicate the evils of maryjane to keep our children safe...
The news media loves to show pictures of guys rappeling down from choppers and hauling off TONS of great pot. My brother teaches over on Maui and he loves it there. Long trip of course for most people. Like Amsterdam, you will never regret coming here.

aloha

dannymac
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: Hank

Postby dannymac » Sun Nov 23, 3:57 am

Professor wrote:......Long trip of course for most people. Like Amsterdam, you will never regret coming here.......
aloha

Yes & Yes! Wife and I spent 9 days on the Big Island a year ago and just loved it. Even got to smoke some local weed on several occasions.
(too bad about Operation Green Harvest, it's probably a contributor to the meth problem on the Islands)
If it weren't so damn far away we'd probably visit as often as our trips to Amsterdam!

Hey, great trip reports too Prof'. You really packed a lot into your limited time there. Hope you can make the trip again.
And hope we can someday share a joint, whether it be in Amsterdam, Paradise, or right here in the 'Coal Cracker Region' (although I'll understand if you aren't planning your next big vacation for the anthracite coal fields of NE PA) ;-) LOL

Professor
power poster
power poster

big island

Postby Professor » Tue Nov 25, 6:22 am

Hey,that's great, DM. My wife is from the Big Island and it is "no ka oi" (the best) for us. Yes, even law enforcement agrees that Green Harvest resulted in destruction of the state's biggest cash agricultural crop and created the crystal meth industry. Of course that didn't change anything.
I did go to a conference in PA once....I live on Oahu cuz that's where the jobs are but will retire to Big Island someday soon. We love it here even if the cost of living is outrageous. Peace and aloha

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”