( 1 ) PRAGUE 2008....NOW WITH PICTURES!!

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

( 1 ) PRAGUE 2008....NOW WITH PICTURES!!

Postby uk*bag*lady » Thu Oct 23, 8:58 pm

I’ve just recently returned from my second visit to Prague and thought I would share a little of my experience there
When I got back last year my thoughts were that it was a very nice city; full of history and beautiful buildings but that I’d seen all I wanted to see, done all that I wanted to do. But then I started to read in more depth the guide books that I had about the city and realised how much I had missed by not going just one more street further or by turning down this way instead of that
So I decided that actually I did want to go back. And by the next time I would have done some more research, and be a little more organised!

So I found what seemed like a nice hotel in a fairly quiet, if somewhat out of town, location in the Troja area of the city. It was maybe a 25 minute tram ride from the city centre but with the great transport system in Prague that was not a problem. I booked a flight when the time – and the price! – was right and then started to do what I should have done the first time; read and listed the things I wanted to see and do and as I had several months to wait for the trip there was time to do this

Finally the big day came and I set off from the UK to Prague which, for me, is just a two hour flight. It was late September so the weather could go one of two ways and in the event it was mixed so I got lucky really

My first task was to get a 7 day transport pass at the airport but I found that this is no longer possible: the maximum is a five day pass so it had to be this. My transfer car was waiting and within 30 minutes I had checked in at the hotel and unpacked all ready for my first journey down into town

When I got to Namesti Republiky I spotted a brand new shopping mall called the Palladium which was still under construction the year before so I had a wander around that. It was very nice but I’m really not one for expensive chain store shops so I continued my tram ride to Wenceslas Squareand the Betlemske area of the city where I had a meal at a small and typically Czech restaurant all washed down with a glass of Urquall beer!

It was dusk by now and I joined the crowds near the old town square as the Astronomical clock struck the hour. It always amuses me that the tourists clap and applaud at the end of the display as if the characters were real people!

The following day being Sunday I went to Mass at the Church of St Tomasnear the Charles Bridge. The previous year I had gone to the Church of the Bambino of Prague but found the constant stream of tourists very distracting

After Mass I decided to take a ride on the 91 historical tramwhich operates during the summer months. It was very inexpensive and the route passed many of the top tourist attractions so is a good way to see something of the city. Halfway along the journey there is a stop at the transport museumwhich is very interesting; there are trams and buses going right back to the 19th century!
Back in the city I had a walk in the lovely late summer sunshine up to the top of Wenceslas Square and then down again. I found and photographed the amusing statue of the upside down horse and Wenceslaswhich is in one of the older shopping arcades then had a stop at thetram café halfway down the long square for a well earned rest!

To be continued…
Last edited by uk*bag*lady on Tue Oct 28, 10:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

woody
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby woody » Fri Oct 24, 10:13 am

That's all very well, UKBL - but how many strains of pot have you smoked?

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby uk*bag*lady » Fri Oct 24, 10:33 am

woody wrote:That's all very well, UKBL - but how many strains of pot have you smoked?

I wasn't aware that a trip report had to be about strains or smoking

Shall I delete it and not bother with any more then?

:-)

woody
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby woody » Fri Oct 24, 10:55 am

uk*bag*lady wrote:
woody wrote:That's all very well, UKBL - but how many strains of pot have you smoked?

Pretty sure it's compulsory. I'll settle for a list of beers sampled, including details of specific gravity, hop varieties etc.

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby uk*bag*lady » Fri Oct 24, 11:17 am

woody wrote:
uk*bag*lady wrote:

Pretty sure it's compulsory. I'll settle for a list of beers sampled, including details of specific gravity, hop varieties etc.

No, I'll just delete it

shezzuk1

Postby shezzuk1 » Fri Oct 24, 11:44 am

No don't delete it UKBL, I enjoyed reading it, just ignore the trolls. Prague is one city I'd love to visit and I'd love to hear more about your trip. I know what it's like, I posted what I thought would be a very helpful website that tells you which bars, cafes, and coffeeshops still allow smoking of tobacco, only to be flamed by itsmymagicalife. He said that I know very little about Holland even though I've lived there for near on 6 years and speak fluent Dutch. I just ignore them.

Chili Ed
super poster
super poster

Postby Chili Ed » Fri Oct 24, 12:41 pm

Thanks for taking the time UKBL. It's nice that you decided to go back.

I'm looking forward to your continued report.

Chili

woody
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby woody » Fri Oct 24, 1:03 pm

shezzuk1 wrote:No don't delete it UKBL, I enjoyed reading it, just ignore the trolls. Prague is one city I'd love to visit and I'd love to hear more about your trip. I know what it's like, I posted what I thought would be a very helpful website that tells you which bars, cafes, and coffeeshops still allow smoking of tobacco, only to be flamed by itsmymagicalife. He said that I know very little about Holland even though I've lived there for near on 6 years and speak fluent Dutch. I just ignore them.

In fact, I rather liked the report - along with Des's it may start a trend towards reports that don't include tedious lists of intoxicants. You never know.

As for you, I'd have thought the Sudetenland would've provided more interest.

tuttiflutes
super power poster
super power poster

Re: PRAGUE 2008....

Postby tuttiflutes » Fri Oct 24, 1:17 pm

uk*bag*lady wrote:I’ve just recently returned from my second visit to Prague and thought I would share a little of my experience there
When I got back last year my thoughts were that it was a very nice city; full of history and beautiful buildings but that I’d seen all I wanted to see, done all that I wanted to do. But then I started to read in more depth the guide books that I had about the city and realised how much I had missed by not going just one more street further or by turning down this way instead of that
So I decided that actually I did want to go back. And by the next time I would have done some more research, and be a little more organised!

So I found what seemed like a nice hotel in a fairly quiet, if somewhat out of town, location in the Troja area of the city. It was maybe a 25 minute tram ride from the city centre but with the great transport system in Prague that was not a problem. I booked a flight when the time – and the price! – was right and then started to do what I should have done the first time; read and listed the things I wanted to see and do and as I had several months to wait for the trip there was time to do this

Finally the big day came and I flew from the UK to Prague which, for me, is just a two hour flight. It was late September so the weather could go one of two ways and in the event it was mixed so I got lucky really

My first task was to get a 7 day transport pass at the airport but I found that this is no longer possible: the maximum is a five day pass so it had to be this. My transfer car was waiting and within 30 minutes I had checked in at the hotel and unpacked all ready for my first journey down into town

When I got to Namesti Republiky I spotted a brand new shopping mall called the Palladium which was still under construction the year before so I had a wander around that. It was very nice but I’m really not one for expensive chain store shops so I continued my tram ride to Wenceslas Square and the Betlemske area of the city where I had a meal at a small and typically Czech restaurant all washed down with a glass of Urquall beer!

It was dusk by now and I joined the crowds near the old town square as the Astronomical clock struck the hour. It always amuses me that the tourists clap and applaud at the end of the display as if the characters were real people!

The following day being Sunday I went to Mass at the Church of St Tomas near the Charles Bridge. The previous year I had gone to the Church of the Bambino of Prague but found the constant stream of tourists very distracting

After Mass I decided to take a ride on the 91 historical tram which operates during the summer months. It was very inexpensive and the route passed many of the top tourist attractions so is a good way to see something of the city. Halfway along the journey there is a stop at the transport museum which is very interesting; there are trams and buses going right back to the 19th century!
Back in the city I had a walk in the lovely late summer sunshine up to the top of Wenceslas Square and then down again. I found and photographed the amusing statue of the upside down horse and Wenceslas which is in one of the older shopping arcades then had a stop at the tram café halfway down the long square for a well earned rest!

To be continued…

I know you don't like me.... but I too want to go to Prague, for the classical music..My daughter may be appearing there in the near future so I will get a chance the to go then. I've been waiting to take that trip since I see no reason to go there twice(Unless of course either of my kids are performing there)also as you say a short 2 hour flight to Amsterdam, or any other travel destination in Europe, and I have been waiting for the Conductor/composer to make the arrangements...he's also interested in Berlin as well. I just know I will be there if I am alive at that time..

If you like classical music, Prague is supposed to be one of the best place in the world to hear it...I'm not a big Opera fan, but I hear that Prague is the place ...

Glad you had a nice trip, and thanks for the tips..Very nice pictures

Tutti
Last edited by tuttiflutes on Sat Oct 25, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Purperen
super poster
super poster

Postby Purperen » Fri Oct 24, 1:23 pm

Nice trip report UKBL, looking forward to reading the rest.

uk*bag*lady wrote:It was dusk by now and I joined the crowds near the old town square as the Astronomical clock struck the hour. It always amuses me that the tourists clap and applaud at the end of the display as if the characters were real people!
I visited Munich a few years ago and the crowds did exactly the same thing after the Rathaus Glockenspiel chimed.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Fri Oct 24, 3:24 pm

Nice report UKBL! (I think that perhaps Woody was trying to be "wry"). Please keep them coming. I remember trying to talk you into your first trip after you expressed reservations. I can't imagine why you like staying so far out of town with all of the rather inexpensive and unique accommodations in the city center but "different strokes for different folks eh? Did you try to take in a concert at the world famous Smetana near the Powder Tower. I can't wait for more!

Peace

mobiljenny
super power poster
super power poster

Postby mobiljenny » Fri Oct 24, 4:16 pm

Thank you missus.

I look forward to hearing more.
chukck

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby uk*bag*lady » Fri Oct 24, 6:13 pm

BOhannon wrote:Nice report UKBL! (I think that perhaps Woody was trying to be "wry"). Please keep them coming. I remember trying to talk you into your first trip after you expressed reservations. I can't imagine why you like staying so far out of town with all of the rather inexpensive and unique accommodations in the city center but "different strokes for different folks eh? Did you try to take in a concert at the world famous Smetana near the Powder Tower. I can't wait for more!

Peace

Yes, I think I did know that Woody was winding me up but I was in a tetchy mood and responded badly : sorry Woody!

I didn't realised when I booked the HOTEL that it was quite so far out (a few minutes walk from the Zoo) but I didn't mind because I love hopping on and off the trams and Metro

No, I didn't go to any musical events at all. It's really not what I do either at home or when away

I shall write a little more later

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby uk*bag*lady » Fri Oct 24, 6:15 pm

tuttiflutes wrote:

I know you don't like me....

Tutti

I don't? Did I say that?

tuttiflutes
super power poster
super power poster

Postby tuttiflutes » Fri Oct 24, 7:04 pm

uk*bag*lady wrote:
tuttiflutes wrote:

Tutti

I don't? Did I say that?

Not in so many words, but since I have never met you, nor have you met me, I find it hard to make judgments based entirely on an internet forum...

I will however not lower my self to even attempt to figure out what your problem is with me...but since you are a moderator here, lets just say you are a disappointment and it is your loss not mine....

Have a nice life...
Tuttiflutes

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby uk*bag*lady » Fri Oct 24, 7:23 pm

tuttiflutes wrote:
uk*bag*lady wrote:
tuttiflutes wrote:

Tutti

I don't? Did I say that?

Not in so many words, but since I have never met you, nor have you met me, I find it hard to make judgments based entirely on an internet forum...

I will however not lower my self to even attempt to figure out what your problem is with me...but since you are a moderator here, lets just say you are a disappointment and it is your loss not mine....

Have a nice life...
Tuttiflutes

I really don't understand what it is you are saying. We have had little dealings with each other and I fail to see in what way I can be a disappointment to you

I don't have, and never have had, a problem with you. What exactly is it that is 'my loss' ?

tuttiflutes
super power poster
super power poster

Postby tuttiflutes » Fri Oct 24, 8:13 pm

quote="uk*bag*lady"]
muckypup wrote:
Am I the only one who's starting to find this nasty little cretin actually more unpalatable than 'Iggy'?

No MP, you're not

:-)[/quote]

Maybe I have misunderstood you..if I have forgive me...I always appreciate your travel tips and if by chance we meet I hope you are looking forward to it..It would be a loss to us both...
Toodles

muckypup
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Postby muckypup » Fri Oct 24, 11:32 pm

tuttiflutes wrote:Not in so many words, but since I have never met you, nor have you met me, I find it hard to make judgments based entirely on an internet forum...

Have a nice life...
Tuttiflutes

Me me me me me me me... MEEEEEE!!!!

This is the Trip Report forum, dear. Nobody wants to read your self-pitying whine...

Sir Ian of Tokesville
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Sir Ian of Tokesville » Sat Oct 25, 1:44 am

Prague sounds like a good paced place. I wonder, what season is the best to visit. Is it special at christmas time ?

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby uk*bag*lady » Sat Oct 25, 7:15 am

Sir Ian of Tokesville wrote:Prague sounds like a good paced place. I wonder, what season is the best to visit. Is it special at christmas time ?

I've heard people say that it's lovely at Christmas with the pre Christmas markets and the possibility of snow making this attractive city look even better

But I've only been in early and late September myself so I can't really say

tuttiflutes
super power poster
super power poster

Postby tuttiflutes » Sat Oct 25, 3:04 pm

Me me me me me me me... MEEEEEE!!!!

This is the Trip Report forum, dear. Nobody wants to read your self-pitying whine...[/quote]

So wheres you last trip report? I'm sure you have probably never been there or anywhere for that matter...and you are going nowhere here..
Most people are truly tired of your constant flaming..everyone can guess what a perv you really are...unless they have first had experience, which is something I will never have....that I can assure you..I don't think you could even pretend to be civilized.....

32 days and I will be posting my 2nd...This is an Amsterdam/Europe travel forum..go back to the whole you crawled out of and hibernate...

and
"Blow Me" that's just for good measure, you miserable muckster....

a bollocks
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: Not A'dam dam'it..... a traveler, a heart, no woot for you.

Postby a bollocks » Sat Oct 25, 3:17 pm

DADDY TOUCHED ME!

oh and toots... try the search function.

thanks for playing... and take your flames outta the trip report section.

NOW!

nice report, baguette.

Hobie
super power poster
super power poster

jeden pivo prosim

Postby Hobie » Sat Oct 25, 3:37 pm

nice report ukbl , you know I love the czech republic . I have 2 im .5 CZ .

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: jeden pivo prosim

Postby uk*bag*lady » Sat Oct 25, 3:51 pm

Hobie wrote:nice report ukbl , you know I love the czech republic . I have 2 im .5 CZ .

Thanks Hobie. I'm not sure what you mean by 2 im.5 CZ though!

Hobie
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Hobie » Sat Oct 25, 3:55 pm

uk*bag*lady wrote:
Hobie wrote:nice report ukbl , you know I love the czech republic . I have 2 im .5 CZ .

I have to love CZ im half CZ of my fathers side ,

Swin
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Swin » Sat Oct 25, 4:14 pm

uk*bag*lady wrote: I continued my tram ride to Wenceslas Square and the Betlemske area of the city where I had a meal at a small and typically Czech restaurant all washed down with a glass of Urquall beer!

To be continued…

Urquell surely and all that going to Mass business - it'll all end in tears

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby uk*bag*lady » Sat Oct 25, 5:08 pm

Hobie wrote:
uk*bag*lady wrote:

I have to love CZ im half CZ of my fathers side ,

Ah! Thank you for clearing up that small mystery for me

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby uk*bag*lady » Sat Oct 25, 5:09 pm

Swin wrote:
uk*bag*lady wrote: I continued my tram ride to Wenceslas Square and the Betlemske area of the city where I had a meal at a small and typically Czech restaurant all washed down with a glass of Urquall beer!

To be continued…

Urquell surely and all that going to Mass business - it'll all end in tears

Pardon? They're not mutually exclusive are they?

muckypup
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Postby muckypup » Sat Oct 25, 5:27 pm

tuttiflutes wrote:I'm sure you have probably never been there or anywhere for that matter...

Over the last ten years I've been to Amsterdam in excess of forty times. Just so you know, like.

tuttiflutes
super power poster
super power poster

Postby tuttiflutes » Sat Oct 25, 6:07 pm

muckypup wrote:
tuttiflutes wrote:I'm sure you have probably never been there or anywhere for that matter...

Over the last ten years I've been to Amsterdam in excess of forty times. Just so you know, like.

Then why don't you share some useful Amsterdam information rather than flaming everyone?..We would all appreciate it, LH seemed to think there was a human hiding under your troll facade..and now it looks as though he has written you off...Even Igee was willing to give you a chance to redeem yourself..how about a nice trip report...that would help...

Tutti

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”