San Francisco Trip Report Medical Marijuana Coops Part 1/3

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Chili Ed
super poster
super poster

San Francisco Trip Report Medical Marijuana Coops Part 1/3

Postby Chili Ed » Tue Oct 21, 12:58 am

Here's a trip report I posted on Weedtracker.com It's like a channels for medical marijuana patients. We are patients and we medicate.

I thought many of you would enjoy these mini reports.

Chili

After a little planning, I decided to head up North to check out some of the medical marijuana dispensaries of San Francisco.

I made a list and checked it twice, actually more like 10 times. My goal was to visit as many dispensaries as necessary/possible in my short 4 day visit. I had two fellow patents with me, so it made the adventure even more fun.

We arrived at SFO on Saturday morning, and took the BART to Powell Street Station. Quick and easy, maybe about a 25-minute ride for about $5.00. The train was full of visitors arriving for the Folsom Street Leather festivities. (Gay Leather) Quite an interesting bunch.

At the Powell street station we purchased 3 day Muni Passports for $18 that allow unlimited travel on the public transportation system including the Cable Cars. The Muni Passport was a great thing to have. We just hopped on and off Cable cars, buses, the metro, and the F Line trains throughout our stay.

Although this was not my first time in San Francisco, it was the first time since I received my doctors’ rec, and the same was true for my 2 friends. We were looking forward to experiencing some of the best dispensaries in the city.

We walked up Powell to our Hotel (Westin) at Union Square. I used Priceline to get a good rate ($110-4star).

It was about 11:30 a.m. when we arrived at the Hotel. They had a room available for us to check in. We dropped our bags off and immediately headed over to Divinity Tree.

DIVINITY TREE
We arrived at Divinity Tree in less than 10 minutes walk. There was a staff member outside standing at the door, I handed my rec to him, he checked it over and sent me in. My friends just seconds behind me.

Divinity Tree was busy with many transactions taking place in a small area. Everyone was very cool to each other. There was a very relaxed vibe going on. I noticed one of the 3 budtenders grab a handful of buds out of a huge container and put it on a scale. I thought “wow�, “that’s a fist full of herbs� They had an overwhelming amount of edibles all over the place. They had the most edibles I have ever seen in one place.

A budtender became available and I immediately went over to him. I asked him what was the top Indica. I mentioned that I had been medicating with mainly Kushes. He showed me some G-13 and something else. The G-13 seemed like the better of the 2. I asked about the Headband I noticed on the menu. I mentioned that I have had some very good Headband in SoCal. The budtender told me that the Headband in SoCal is different than the Headband in NorCal. He said the NorCal is a Sativa dominant. I decided to give it a try.

It was $15 dollars a gram for there top shelf strains. I didn’t notice any O.G. Kushes or similar on their menu. The budtender made it a point to get my attention when he was weighing out my grams at well over a gram each. There’s no doubt that they are a compassionate bunch over at Divinity Tree. My friends purchased a couple of edibles and we were on our way. DT was cool, and truly compassionate prices.

GRASS ROOTS
Next stop, Grass Roots. It was just a couple of minutes walk to GR from DT. Once again there was a staff member who met us at the door. He greeted us with a smile. He looked at my rec, and said “Are you all from LA� and everyone replied, “Yes�. One by one he let us on in.

First thing I noticed upon arriving in the dispensary, was the nice case full of products and just an overall feel of a high-class environment. Quite a bit bigger than DT. Top Shelf meds were $60. They had some unique edibles, I noticed one of my friends asking a staff member what their most potent edible was. He showed my friend a fudge brownie and told him to eat only half of it. This was good news for my friend as he suffers from multiple ailments and is in need of good size doses. The brownie turned out to be the king of all brownies. This was just the beginning of my friends GR fudge brownie experiences to come but that’s another story.

I asked the budtender about the 2 $60 Top shelf strains on the menu. He said they were excellent, “Blue Lighting�, and Grandaddy Purple�. Both looked and smelled nice, especially the BL. I decided to pick up a gram of each. They were $18-gram, but the budtender only charged me $35. There was definitely a very positive vibe going on in this hi-end shop. All staff members were nice. It was a very relaxed environment. I knew I would be back to Grass Roots very soon.

Canna Medi Care (CMC)
CMC was our next stop. It was just another short walk to CMC from GR. We arrived just as they were opening. We walked into the big building. There was a big two/way glass mirror in front with a little slot to place your rec and I.D. After about a minute I was let in. I made my way down the stairs to the budroom and patients lounge. It was very spacious was some very nice glass water pipes on some of the tables. Unfortuantely it was quite stuffy in there with no airflow. I aksed for some of their Ingrid, which I remember reading about here on WT. I picked up a gram which I think cost $20.

My friends and I wanted to try out some of there glass water pipes, but we had to get some fresh air immediately.

It was lunch time, and we knew “Tommy’s Joynt� was right down the street.

Part 2 Next……

wEEDmAN
power poster
power poster

Postby wEEDmAN » Wed Oct 22, 10:49 am

Thanks for a great insight into what seems to be a unique situation in the world, well done SF for apparently being such a fkn cool place. I look forward to pt 2 and maybe some bud reviews?

ChristopherAmsterdam
power poster
power poster

Postby ChristopherAmsterdam » Wed Oct 22, 12:16 pm

good reports...def wanna read more...

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Wed Oct 22, 3:16 pm

Ya coulda called!

mobiljenny
super power poster
super power poster

Postby mobiljenny » Wed Oct 22, 4:13 pm

It's a brave new world out there... ... ... BART from SFO. That's amazing!!

Thanks for the report.
chuck.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Wed Oct 22, 4:17 pm

mobiljenny wrote:It's a brave new world out there... ... ... BART from SFO. That's amazing!!

Thanks for the report.
chuck.

BART to the airport is fantastic. They have a deal where you can buy long-term parking for a spot in the BART garage (online, $5 per day) too. Easy peasy compared to trying to park anywhere near the airport.

Peace

Chili Ed
super poster
super poster

Postby Chili Ed » Wed Oct 22, 4:37 pm

BOhannon wrote:Ya coulda called!

I'll be back to SF soon. I know you're close by. I'll let you know.

Chili

Chili Ed
super poster
super poster

Postby Chili Ed » Wed Oct 22, 4:40 pm

Thanks for all the comments.

The herbs in SF are excellent. Actually they are excellent all over California. The North and South have their own style.

Chili

PrePress420
participating
participating

Postby PrePress420 » Wed Oct 22, 5:18 pm

I'm a MMJ patient in Nor Cal.
Glad to read you got in so easily on a Saturday as a first time visitor.
Many places call the doctor who signed the physician's statement for first-timers, even if they have a card.
Saturday could have beeen difficult for that.
There are counterfeit cards going around, especially State ID cards.
State cards can be spotted because the holigraphically-embedded security seal looks flat,like dull gold, not holigraphic.

Cat
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Cat » Wed Oct 22, 9:42 pm

I hope the MMJ Cali carnival with all it's fraud and abuses doesn't blow it for other states considering passing an initiative.

Party on dudes.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Wed Oct 22, 9:49 pm

PrePress420 wrote:I'm a MMJ patient in Nor Cal.
Glad to read you got in so easily on a Saturday as a first time visitor.
Many places call the doctor who signed the physician's statement for first-timers, even if they have a card.
Saturday could have beeen difficult for that.
There are counterfeit cards going around, especially State ID cards.
State cards can be spotted because the holigraphically-embedded security seal looks flat,like dull gold, not holigraphic.

No club I have ever been to accepts just a "card". As a matter of fact I quit getting the card after the first year as it is a waste of money. All you really need is the doctor's letter of recommendation and a valid state photo I.D. I do agree that a Saturday might have been problematic.

PrePress420
participating
participating

Postby PrePress420 » Wed Oct 22, 9:55 pm

People who make counterfeit credit cards can make counterfeit anything cards.
The first time I've gone to dispensaries, they have phoned the doctor and verified my physician statement, even though I have a state ID card.
I have seen them turn away people on weekends when the doctor could not be reached.
Fraud and abuse... sounds like the pharmacutical industry as well.
Many patients in Cali have statements for insomnia.
Insomnia, according to Dr. Dean Edell, also makes up 80% pf the prescriptions written in the USA for pharmacies.

Chili Ed
super poster
super poster

Postby Chili Ed » Thu Oct 23, 5:09 am

Cat wrote:I hope the MMJ Cali carnival with all it's fraud and abuses doesn't blow it for other states considering passing an initiative.

Party on dudes.

The only real fraud going on in Cali is when the DEA raids a dispensery, takes all the meds and money and files no charges.

There are many people that abuse prescription drugs and lie to their doctors about their condition. There will always be those people. It does not take away from the medical value of marijuana.

The alternative to medical marijuana for many is opiates.

Chili

Chili Ed
super poster
super poster

Postby Chili Ed » Thu Oct 23, 5:45 am

Here's an editorial from today's Orange County Register.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/mari ... an-medical

Editorial: What is San Diego smoking?
The county should drop its legal attack on medical-marijuana ID law

The California Supreme Court has declined to review a landmark law that requires counties to implement a medical marijuana patient identification program. The court's decision also makes it clear that the federal prohibition on marijuana does not preempt the medical marijuana law California voters approved in 1996.
The 1996 law carved out exceptions to California's anti-marijuana laws for patients with a valid recommendation from a licensed physician. In 2005 the Legislature passed Senate Bill 420, which, among other things, required counties to screen patients for a voluntary state ID card system for patients to help police identify bona fide patients.
San Diego County, along with Merced and San Bernardino counties, sued the state in 2006, arguing not only that it should not be required to screen patients applying for identifications cards, but that federal law preempts state law and that California's medical marijuana law should be declared invalid.
A San Diego Superior Court judge rejected that argument in December 2006, after which Merced County opted out of the litigation and moved to set up a patient ID card system. The Fourth District Court of Appeal also rejected it in July of this year. The decision by the state Supreme Court not to review it means counties must set up an ID card program and, perhaps most importantly, as Joe Elford, chief council of Americans for Safe Access, noted, makes it clear "that federal law does not preempt state law relating to medical marijuana."
San Diego County has vowed to take the issue all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court. It is likely to have a steep hill to climb. The high court has had several medical marijuana cases before it and has opted not to invoke federal supremacy to invalidate the medical marijuana laws of California and the 11 other states. In addition, there is no disagreement among federal circuits that would require resolution by the U.S. Supreme Court.
San Diego County would be better off not to spend taxpayers' money pursuing this inversion of the federalist principle that is so central to the U.S. Constitution. The Constitution gives only certain enumerated powers to the national government and reserves all other rights and powers to the states and the people.
It has been 12 years since the people voted to allow sick people to use marijuana, and all subsequent polls suggest there is no chance they would reverse their decision. For San Diego County to try to do so through judicial fiat by bolstering the power of the central government and reducing the flexibility allowed to the states by the U.S. Constitution is repugnant.

Chili

PrePress420
participating
participating

Postby PrePress420 » Thu Oct 23, 3:07 pm

Chili Ed wrote:
Cat wrote:I hope the MMJ Cali carnival with all it's fraud and abuses doesn't blow it for other states considering passing an initiative.

Party on dudes.

The only real fraud going on in Cali is when the DEA raids a dispensery, takes all the meds and money and files no charges.

There are many people that abuse prescription drugs and lie to their doctors about their condition. There will always be those people. It does not take away from the medical value of marijuana.

Chili

Yep, DEA does that all the time.

Cat
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Cat » Thu Oct 23, 4:49 pm

Chili Ed wrote:

Come on....must you propagandize? Lets keep it real. The California model impacts on this important social service provision in states where the debate on MMJ continues.

Chili Ed wrote:There are many people that abuse prescription drugs and lie to their doctors about their condition. There will always be those people.

Yep......But stoners are above that aren't they.

Chili Ed wrote:It does not take away from the medical value of marijuana.

It has it's benefits.

Chili Ed wrote:The alternative to medical marijuana for many is opiates.

Perhaps. Acupuncture and biofeedback amongst other therapies are options as well. Conditions and therapies vary.

For those interested in reviewing Morely Safers unbiased 60 Minutes piece from last Dec.07

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=3657684n

Chili Ed
super poster
super poster

Postby Chili Ed » Thu Oct 23, 5:23 pm

Cat, you're trippin.....

Chili

Hobie
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Hobie » Thu Oct 23, 5:54 pm

Nice Reort ... Chili Ed ` http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etwr4oA- ... re=related the stuff works .........

bogart
super power poster
super power poster

Postby bogart » Thu Oct 23, 6:58 pm

definitely beats buying dimes on pill corner or getting ripped off in golden gate park. but not by much. I love san francisco.

islandgurl
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby islandgurl » Sat Oct 25, 2:50 pm

Great report, Ed. I completely agree about the San Francisco treat hehe I have never had anything bad from there, and I've tried many strains, including the one's from the clinics.

There's one called God's Gift if you ever get the chance to try it, Ed? Do - it's an awesome long lasting sativa. I smoked one at 10:00 before leaving for the airport and could still feel it on the plane at 2:30.

I usually make it to San Fran a few times a year... one of my fave places on earth.

Cat
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Cat » Sat Oct 25, 3:58 pm

islandgurl wrote:I've tried many strains, including the one's from the clinics.

Are you a "patient" ? Care to share what your "condition" is?

Chili Ed
super poster
super poster

Postby Chili Ed » Sat Oct 25, 8:30 pm

islandgurl wrote:Great report, Ed. I completely agree about the San Francisco treat hehe I have never had anything bad from there, and I've tried many strains, including the one's from the clinics.

There's one called God's Gift if you ever get the chance to try it, Ed? Do - it's an awesome long lasting sativa. I smoked one at 10:00 before leaving for the airport and could still feel it on the plane at 2:30.

I usually make it to San Fran a few times a year... one of my fave places on earth.

Hello islandgurl, I was able to try some Gods Gift a few months back here in SoCal. I was quite happy with it.

My preference is the Kush, particulary the planetary Kushes? I have been very impressed with the Socal Kushes.

Chili

Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Generous_J » Sun Oct 26, 2:01 am

Hobie wrote:Nice Reort ... Chili Ed ` http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etwr4oA- ... re=related the stuff works .........

I liked that Hobie. I can also see how its relevant to you. Stay cool, dont forget to tell me if your relatives are round my parts... ill show em a good time... Same goes for you, obv.

boneymaroni
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby boneymaroni » Sun Oct 26, 4:06 am

You're a great story teller Chili....print and film....thank you

Chili Ed
super poster
super poster

Postby Chili Ed » Sun Oct 26, 8:35 pm

boneymaroni wrote:You're a great story teller Chili....print and film....thank you

Thanks boney.

Chili

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”