10 days in Christiania

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

User avatar
viking
super power poster
super power poster
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 4:26 pm
Location: Valhalla

10 days in Christiania

Postby viking » Thu Sep 18, 12:35 pm

Just spent 6 thru 15 September 2008 in Christiania, visiting
my friends there. Scored a sweet private room 5 minutes walk
away from Christiania this year, so I could just stumble back to my
room about 2am every night.

As usual, the hash I smoked there was excellent. Was buying top
quality maroc for 50 Danish crowns a gram, or about $10.
In Amsterdam now, and I've been getting pissed off at the poor quality
maroc I've bought here. Gonna have to make a trip out to Haarlem and
stock up on some nice Kashmir Maroc from a Willie Wortel cs. Almost out
of what little maroc I have with from Denmark:(

Had a great time in Denmark. Only saw police in Christiania twice
during my stay. All the tables were up and busy every day, except
for those two times. Lots of hash joints being enjoyed outside
of Moonfisher cafe every day, too.

Hung out at the private Christiania Sports Club most every day,
smoking with friends.

PurpleHaze came down from Oslo and stayed from the 6th until the 9th.
As my friend, he got into the CSC also:)

Every night my friend and I would take his dog for a walk at 1:30am,
get fresh chocolate covered cream puffs from Sunshine Bakery on
Pusherstreet and hang out at the main lookout station on Pusherstreet,
smoking, eating, and talking. One night I got to man the lookout post
for a while which was cool.

Hard to break away from my Danish friends this past Monday.
had such a great time, that I'm thinking of spending some time there
in April next year, maybe skipping Amsterdam altogether that month.

OK, got to go, as I need to toke!

viking

User avatar
a bollocks
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 5796
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 12:32 am
Location: Not A'dam dam'it..... a traveler, a heart, no woot for you.

Postby a bollocks » Fri Sep 19, 4:47 am

Thor!

you are a mensch with a great itinerary.

I miss you.

need to toke meeself and listen to some opera.

WOOT!

User avatar
viking
super power poster
super power poster
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 4:26 pm
Location: Valhalla

Postby viking » Fri Sep 19, 11:16 am

Speaking of opera, bollocks. I bought a ticket for Madama Butterfly
at the Staddsschouwburg Theatre on Leidseplein last night.
Only cost me 12.50 euros. Great production.

And I miss you, too:)

OK, out and about!

User avatar
Weldon
super power poster
super power poster
Posts: 1618
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 8:07 pm
Location: Blue State

Postby Weldon » Sat Sep 20, 12:12 am

Viking, sounds great but not as free and easy as it has been in the past. It also looks like the spirit of Christiania will live, albeit under similar restrictions as I saw in March, right?

User avatar
viking
super power poster
super power poster
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 4:26 pm
Location: Valhalla

Postby viking » Sat Sep 20, 11:33 am

Yes, the good old days in Christiania have mostly moved indoors.
So it really helps to have some friends there.
But casual tourists can at least buy top quality hash very easily,
and smoke it outside of the Moonfisher or Nemoland cafes.

I was buying 8 grams of excellent maroc every day and rolling up every bit
of it. And it was only 50dkk/gram, or about $10. It's probably a bit more
expensive for a walk-up tourist at a table, but if you buy the dealer's top
grade of maroc, you won't be disappointed, that's for sure.

Disappointed is what I've been here in Adam, with both the prices and the
quality. King Hassan from de Kabouter was fairly decent this year, but
it's gone up in price from 8.3euros/g to 9.0.
It's one of the hashes I sample every trip as a barometer of sorts. Some years it's good, some years it's not.

For anyone with an unlocked mobile, buy a Lebara mobile sim card
when you're in Denmark. Ridiculously low prices on calls both within
Denmark and also for calls made back to the States.
I was calling my Danish friend's mobile for something like 2 US cents a minute.

Forgot to mention that I had fun at a football (soccer) match with my
friends from the Christiania Sports Club. My friend plays goalie and I
would hold a joint to his lips so he could take a few puffs when the
ball was at the other end of the field. With his goalie gloves on,
he was unable to hold a joint. Always nice to help a friend!

Man, I wish I was back there now.....

User avatar
Weldon
super power poster
super power poster
Posts: 1618
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 8:07 pm
Location: Blue State

Postby Weldon » Sat Sep 20, 6:01 pm

The good news is that apparently Christiania
Is not going to go the way of real estate developers.
Our hotel was expensive ($125+, shared bath) and
a $5 bus ride away. I paid about double per gram that
you did but was not disappointed.

Too bad about the prices/quality in Amsterdam.
Did you ever find anything that equaled Christiania?
I Didn't give Amsterdam enough of a going over in March.
Would probably not make a solo trip exclusively there next time.
Never been to Maastricht or spent the night anywhere other than A'dam.

Thanks for the reports.

User avatar
Dazzler
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 15574
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2:45 pm
Location: Among the six billion.
Contact:

Postby Dazzler » Sat Sep 20, 6:02 pm

$125 with a shared bath? Seriously?

User avatar
viking
super power poster
super power poster
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 4:26 pm
Location: Valhalla

Postby viking » Sun Sep 21, 11:47 am

I had to give up my usual hotel in Copenhagen because it had
gotten too expensive. Used to cost me about $85 night with the shower
in the room and the toilet in the hall, now it costs about $130 or more.
private room was only 320dkk or about $64. And no long bus ride to
get to and from Christiania.

No, no marocs found here in Adam that equaled that from Christiania.
King Hassan from de Kabouter is ok, though.

Forgot to mention that one day my Danish friends and I were sitting outside the Moonfisher smoking and some guys at the next table started rapping freestyle. Come to find out they were from the US rap group Black Moon(no, I had never heard of them). They later showed up at the CSC, too.

Later in week I was watching tv in my
room late at night and on comes one of my dealer friends hosting a special show about Black Moon. It was great to watch them smoking
chillums on tv:)

User avatar
Weldon
super power poster
super power poster
Posts: 1618
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 8:07 pm
Location: Blue State

Postby Weldon » Mon Sep 22, 11:23 pm

Dazzler wrote:$125 with a shared bath? Seriously?



Seriously; more like $133. Not cheap over there. If I went again, I'd go when it was warmer, so outside smoking would be tolerable. Or make a score in Christiania and then go about the country. The breakfasts at the hotels were great. Room in Vaxjo was $85 with a great breakfast but getting around was expensive and there wasn't all that much to do.

Great report, Viking. Thanks. Hope to catch up with again sometime.

User avatar
chichi123
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 9540
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 12:53 am
Location: usa

Postby chichi123 » Tue Sep 23, 4:09 am

Boney and I stayed a half block from the train station at Hotel Nemo of which is right by Tivoli as well. It was very cheap and the breakfast was fabulous. We said a smoking room got there and it wasn't so I go back down ....he looks says there aren't any and reaches under the desk pulls an ashtray out and says it is now!
Cheech

TheChad
power poster
power poster
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 11:56 am
Location: Paris - NY

Postby TheChad » Tue Sep 23, 10:07 am

Hey guys! Last time i was in christiania was about 8 or 9 years ago and the stalls of weed & hash were still up and about! As far as i can remember there was also quite a bit of variety in terms of quality & pricing.

I know the stalls are all down now so how do you score? as you would in another foreign country, on the streets? Is it easy to find variety and to find the stronger stuff (still talking bout hash)?

Planning on visiting a friend in Copenhagen in a month or so and will def go by christiania for a quick score. However i fear i won't find the vibe as fun as in the past...

Thanks for any info.

User avatar
Adoran
super poster
super poster
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 1:43 pm
Location: Ireland
Contact:

Postby Adoran » Tue Sep 23, 11:36 am

TheChad wrote:Hey guys! Last time i was in christiania was about 8 or 9 years ago


Funny, I was looking through some old photos recently (was up in the attic) and it's been 11 years since I was last in Christiania.....wow. Doesn't seem that long ago. I've been thinking about visiting Copenhagen again for a weekend maybe, but with the Euro the way it is (plus it's already expensive there anyways) it's not looking likely. You can always dream though. I remember parts of it so clearly, and yet other bits are hazy (lol)..

Some day...some day..

TheChad
power poster
power poster
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 11:56 am
Location: Paris - NY

Postby TheChad » Tue Sep 23, 12:55 pm

Adoran wrote:
TheChad wrote:Hey guys! Last time i was in christiania was about 8 or 9 years ago


Funny, I was looking through some old photos recently (was up in the attic) and it's been 11 years since I was last in Christiania.....wow. Doesn't seem that long ago. I've been thinking about visiting Copenhagen again for a weekend maybe, but with the Euro the way it is (plus it's already expensive there anyways) it's not looking likely. You can always dream though. I remember parts of it so clearly, and yet other bits are hazy (lol)..

Some day...some day..


Yeah, was really an amazing place! however, after reading the description of the place now, it doesn't seem as chill as it used to be... My friend says the difference is undescribable, paranoia has taken over... however he doesnt toke much so rarely drops by....

TheChad
power poster
power poster
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 11:56 am
Location: Paris - NY

Postby TheChad » Tue Sep 23, 12:57 pm

hard for me to imagine christiania without all the tables loades with hash & shrooms too...

User avatar
27guldens
super poster
super poster
Posts: 874
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 12:46 am
Location: la calle del ritmo
Contact:

Postby 27guldens » Tue Sep 23, 2:44 pm

9 years since i visited Copenhagen...

And yes, it was way too expensive. We were travelling by car and it was by the end of our trip so we were sort of money. We slept two nights in a hostel and the other two in the car.

I remember there were free bikes for visitors to ride around the city. Cristiania is a cool place to hang around.

Cheers for the reports.

User avatar
Weldon
super power poster
super power poster
Posts: 1618
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 8:07 pm
Location: Blue State

Postby Weldon » Tue Sep 23, 11:43 pm

chichi123 wrote:Boney and I stayed a half block from the train station at Hotel Nemo of which is right by Tivoli as well. It was very cheap and the breakfast was fabulous. We said a smoking room got there and it wasn't so I go back down ....he looks says there aren't any and reaches under the desk pulls an ashtray out and says it is now!
Cheech


We stayed at the Selandia, which was right up the street from the Nemo. Kate stayed at the Nemo on one of her trips and said it was cheaper. Selandia had good reviews on tripadvisor.com. Good breakfast too. I'd research it more carefully if I was going back.

There was a cathedral whose spire was comprised of winding alligator tails in Copenhagen. I want to check that out next time. Never made Tivoli Gardens either. Also maybe make a score at Christiania and tour the country outside of Copenhagen. How expensive could that be??

Viking, are you back home yet?

User avatar
PurpleHaze
power poster
power poster
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 12:23 pm
Location: Icy way to the north

Postby PurpleHaze » Thu Sep 25, 2:44 pm

Viking my Man!

It was a pleasure as always to see you again. I had some wonderful days toking and laughing with you in Christiania. Back here in Oslo I have run out of goodies, so I might go there again this weekend… (please pm me W'ers e-mail and mobile number)

God damn, 50 kroner a gram you say... You must have got the "inside" price after I left. Moneywise you could smoke twice as much then (even though I think that is close to impossible). I mean, there weren't many moments we shared without a burning joint.

Sorry to hear that the prices and quality of the smoke is below par in Mokum. Does this apply for Haarlem as well? Any Kashmir Maroc left at the WW?

User avatar
Adoran
super poster
super poster
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 1:43 pm
Location: Ireland
Contact:

Postby Adoran » Thu Sep 25, 2:59 pm

PurpleHaze wrote:Back here in Oslo I have run out of goodies, so I might go there again this weekend…


Oslo? ran out of goodies? when I was there (a few years back tho') Oslo was one of the most "available" cities, and also had pretty decent quality. Of course I'm talking about chocolate. Yes, small bars of "chocolate". Ahem.

User avatar
PurpleHaze
power poster
power poster
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 12:23 pm
Location: Icy way to the north

Postby PurpleHaze » Fri Sep 26, 8:29 am

Adoran wrote:
PurpleHaze wrote:Back here in Oslo I have run out of goodies, so I might go there again this weekend…


Oslo? ran out of goodies? when I was there (a few years back tho') Oslo was one of the most "available" cities, and also had pretty decent quality. Of course I'm talking about chocolate. Yes, small bars of "chocolate". Ahem.


Well Oslo is not exactly on the water wagon if u know what I mean, but it's hard to find quality that matches the ones of Copenhagen or Mokum. If you do, it is bloody expensive. Generally close to double the price …

User avatar
viking
super power poster
super power poster
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 4:26 pm
Location: Valhalla

Postby viking » Fri Oct 17, 6:48 pm

For those who asked how tourists buy now that the hash stalls have
been pulled down, it's no problem. The dealers now sell from tables
that are set up in the main open area in the center of Christiania,
just off of Pusher Street. They know when any police enter Christiania
and they quietly disappear by the time any police get close.
Once the police are gone, the hash is back out and for sale in just
a few minutes.

If you visit Christiania after dark, be prepared to have a spotlight beamed
on you when you enter the hash selling area. The dealers often do this
so they can see who's walking toward them before they get too close.
At one table, you'll be standing in the glare of lights from behind
the dealer's back while you buy. You can see the hash on the table,
but you can't see the dealer's face.

Also, Christiania has very few streetlights and the place can be extremely
difficult for a newcomer to navigate through after dark because it's
REALLY dark in a lot of spots. And, no, you don't want to use a flashlight
to get around. Why not? Because only the police use flashlights there:)

btw, it was the dealers themselves that pulled down all the stalls a few
years back. And as I said before, the quality of hash on sale is as good
as ever. Everything I bought was excellent. Just ask the dealer for
his best selection.

Kingdoc

Postby Kingdoc » Fri Oct 17, 10:36 pm

viking wrote:For those who asked how tourists buy now that the hash stalls have
been pulled down, it's no problem. The dealers now sell from tables
that are set up in the main open area in the center of Christiania,
just off of Pusher Street. They know when any police enter Christiania
and they quietly disappear by the time any police get close.
Once the police are gone, the hash is back out and for sale in just
a few minutes.

If you visit Christiania after dark, be prepared to have a spotlight beamed
on you when you enter the hash selling area. The dealers often do this
so they can see who's walking toward them before they get too close.
At one table, you'll be standing in the glare of lights from behind
the dealer's back while you buy. You can see the hash on the table,
but you can't see the dealer's face.

Also, Christiania has very few streetlights and the place can be extremely
difficult for a newcomer to navigate through after dark because it's
REALLY dark in a lot of spots. And, no, you don't want to use a flashlight
to get around. Why not? Because only the police use flashlights there:)

btw, it was the dealers themselves that pulled down all the stalls a few
years back. And as I said before, the quality of hash on sale is as good
as ever. Everything I bought was excellent. Just ask the dealer for
his best selection.






Great stuff! i am gona buy a open jaw air ticket next year as i will be going there,Thanks for the info viking.


Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests