oaksterdam instead

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

patrick

oaksterdam instead

Postby patrick » Tue Jul 01, 4:41 pm

this year i am going to california instead of amsterdam.

hank
power poster
power poster

Postby hank » Tue Jul 01, 6:41 pm

Just got my med card a few weeks ago, coffeeshops are for buying only, but pretty cool.

Chili Ed
super poster
super poster

Postby Chili Ed » Thu Jul 10, 5:43 am

hank wrote:Just got my med card a few weeks ago, coffeeshops are for buying only, but pretty cool.

I just got mine too. Very cool. I may make a trip to Oaksterdam this summer.

Chili

nellie
super power poster
super power poster

Postby nellie » Thu Jul 10, 8:32 am

Does a med card mean that you all have severe medical conditions that can be relieved by cannabis? How is this delivered?

This is a serious question as a few years ago there was a study in the UK that I followed where they were considering prescribing and they got stuck at choosing method of delivery as the health service could not prescribe it in any form that it would be smoked because of the carcinogens.

Chili Ed
super poster
super poster

Postby Chili Ed » Thu Jul 10, 1:14 pm

nellie wrote:Does a med card mean that you all have severe medical conditions that can be relieved by cannabis? How is this delivered?

This is a serious question as a few years ago there was a study in the UK that I followed where they were considering prescribing and they got stuck at choosing method of delivery as the health service could not prescribe it in any form that it would be smoked because of the carcinogens.

It's actually a doctors recommendation based on California's medical marijuana laws. A doctor can recommend the use of marijuana, but cannot provide the marijuana. It can be recommend for serveral conditions including chronic pain. California has marijuana dispenseries that sell the marijuana to patients. The dispenseries are operating legally under California law, but illegally under federal law. The DEA raids dispenseries on occasions, usually just the ones that are not following the law.

There are other forms of synthetic THC in pill form such as Marinol, but it has been found not as effective as smoking. There are actually many different types of THC based medicines in pill form, which can be prescribed by a doctor and dispensed through a pharmacy.

I hope this anwers your questions Nellie.

Chili

nellie
super power poster
super power poster

Postby nellie » Thu Jul 10, 1:26 pm

Thank you Chilli . That was an enlightening answer

patrick

Postby patrick » Mon Jul 14, 4:13 pm

i use a vaporizer to deliver the medicine. no smoke.

Philter
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Philter » Sat Aug 02, 3:37 pm

TO get this prescription, what costs are involved? Can you say make an appointment from out of state?

Chili Ed
super poster
super poster

Postby Chili Ed » Sat Aug 02, 6:53 pm

Philter wrote:TO get this prescription, what costs are involved? Can you say make an appointment from out of state?

It's actually considered a recommedation, and the office visit usually costs around $100, and the "rec" is good for one year. You must be a California resident with a state I.D. card or Drivers license.

Chili

Chili Ed
super poster
super poster

Postby Chili Ed » Thu Aug 14, 7:59 pm

Here's some info on Oaksterdam.

http://www.oaksterdaminfo.com/history.html

Chili

F Z
power poster
power poster

Postby F Z » Thu Aug 14, 11:45 pm

Chili Ed wrote:
Philter wrote:TO get this prescription, what costs are involved? Can you say make an appointment from out of state?

It's actually considered a recommedation, and the office visit usually costs around $100, and the "rec" is good for one year. You must be a California resident with a state I.D. card or Drivers license.

Chili

So if you don't live in Ca. you're out of luck? Well so much for "Oaksterdam"

Let's see, Oaksterdam....it is derived from Amsterdam where all you have to be is over 18 from ANYWHERE. Seems to me the Coffee Shops (Which you can't smoke in just purchase IF you have a CA med card and a doctors recommendation) in Oakland are just medicinal marijuana dispenseries same as anywhere else in Ca.

So why Oaksterdam?
Last edited by F Z on Fri Aug 15, 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

shezzuk1

Postby shezzuk1 » Thu Aug 14, 11:56 pm

F Z wrote:
Chili Ed wrote:

Chili

So if you don't live in Ca. you're out of luck?

Obviously, alas...

Chili Ed
super poster
super poster

Postby Chili Ed » Fri Aug 15, 12:07 am

F Z wrote:So if you don't live in Ca. you're out of luck?

Oakland passed Measure Z in 1994, basically allowing adult use of marijuana. There is one establishment in Oaksterdam that sells marijuana to adults without doctors recommendations.

Chili

chichi123
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: oaksterdam instead

Postby chichi123 » Fri Aug 15, 12:10 am

patrick wrote:this year i am going to california instead of amsterdam.

Hey Patrick nice to see you.

tuttiflutes
super power poster
super power poster

Postby tuttiflutes » Fri Aug 15, 12:43 am

F Z wrote:
Chili Ed wrote:

Chili

So if you don't live in Ca. you're out of luck? Well so much for "Oaksterdam"

Let's see, Oaksterdam....it is derived from Amsterdam where all you have to be is over 18 from ANYWHERE. Seems to me the Coffee Shops (Which you can't smoke in just purchase IF you have a CA med card and a doctors recommendation) in Oakland are just medicinal marijuana dispenseries same as anywhere else in Ca.

So why Oaksterdam?

There are 12 states with medicinal marijuana laws..I am considering moving since Florida will NEVER be one of them and I have 3 conditions that would give me recommendations for the Medicinal use.

It DOES work and keeps me off the hard stuff...

Tutti

patrick

Postby patrick » Mon Aug 18, 4:20 pm

still going to the bay area but i have also been having vivid dreams again about amsterdam. think it might me a sign.

on a side note, sorry to hear about your condition cheech.

theguest
super power poster
super power poster

Postby theguest » Mon Aug 18, 5:59 pm

So what is the score with getting a recommendation?

Do most people basically fake illness to get one?

I'm sure there are plenty of people with chronic conditions but I'd also bet there are at least as many visiting these co-ops with no problems at all.

Can you pay off a dodgy doc or just see him and tell him you have loads of phantom pains?

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Mon Aug 18, 6:23 pm

theguest wrote:So what is the score with getting a recommendation?

I'm sure there are plenty of people with chronic conditions but I'd also bet there are at least as many visiting these co-ops with no problems at all.

Can you pay off a dodgy doc or just see him and tell him you have loads of phantom pains?

Well, contrary to what some other's have said, getting my recommendation has always involved a cursory exam and required copied of medical records ans prescriptions.

pax

chichi123
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby chichi123 » Tue Aug 19, 2:44 pm

patrick wrote:still going to the bay area but i have also been having vivid dreams again about amsterdam. think it might me a sign.

on a side note, sorry to hear about your condition cheech.

What condition? Patrick I dream vividly about Amsterdam alot as well.

Chili Ed
super poster
super poster

Postby Chili Ed » Tue Aug 19, 2:58 pm

Most California doctors require patients to have a documented medical history, surgeries, MRI's, etc... Doctors must take patients word as fact. If someone has had a surgery and continues to have chronic pain, the doctor would most likely recommend medical marijuana. The alternative is Opiates. I'm sure there are those that are not being truthfull with their doctor, just like those who try to get pain killers from doctors.

I hope this answers your question.

Chili

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Tue Aug 19, 3:49 pm

Chili Ed wrote:

Most California doctors require patients to have a documented medical history, surgeries, MRI's, etc... Doctors must take patients word as fact. If someone has had a surgery and continues to have chronic pain, the doctor would most likely recommend medical marijuana. The alternative is Opiates. I'm sure there are those that are not being truthfull with their doctor, just like those who try to get pain killers from doctors.

I hope this answers your question.

Chili

On my last renewal visit a friend, former channelite and new California resident went with. He got the exam, explained his condition(s) and provided what medical information that he had which I think was copies of current prescriptions. He was given a medican recommendation good for two months pending providing a complete copy of medical records. This is the only place that I have gone to to get my recommendation to I don't really know if it is typical but there seems to be nothing phony about it.
BTW, on the way home I took the "newbie" to a local dispensary....kid in a candy store, lol. Priceless!

Pax

Chili Ed
super poster
super poster

Postby Chili Ed » Tue Aug 19, 4:08 pm

BOhannon wrote:
On my last renewal visit a friend, former channelite and new California resident went with. He got the exam, explained his condition(s) and provided what medical information that he had which I think was copies of current prescriptions. He was given a medican recommendation good for two months pending providing a complete copy of medical records. This is the only place that I have gone to to get my recommendation to I don't really know if it is typical but there seems to be nothing phony about it.
BTW, on the way home I took the "newbie" to a local dispensary....kid in a candy store, lol. Priceless!

Pax

Nothing phony about it at all. There are so many people that have ailments which would be helped by some type of medicine and they just go without. They don't really like going to doctors.

I remember I was a kid in a candy store not too long ago. It was like Dejevu.

Chili

nellie
super power poster
super power poster

Postby nellie » Tue Aug 19, 4:40 pm

Can I ask , in what "form" is it dispensed and as in usual pharmacuticals do you have a daily dosage which you should not exceed?

Chili Ed
super poster
super poster

Postby Chili Ed » Tue Aug 19, 4:55 pm

nellie wrote:Can I ask , in what "form" is it dispensed and as in usual pharmacuticals do you have a daily dosage which you should not exceed?

The flowers are sold along with concentrates and edibles. Many dispensaries specialize in edibles. They actually sell sticks of butter that contain the goodness. Some shops have rooms where you can use their Vaporizer or water pipes as long as you have a designated driver.

Doctor's recommend what dosage might work for a patient, but the patient has the liberty of using what dosage they find works best for them.

Chili

Hobie
super power poster
super power poster

going to pot

Postby Hobie » Wed Aug 20, 3:15 pm

Hey Chili and Bo ................

Whats the average price per gram ? in Cali dispensaries . Also can I use My RI Lisence for " medical Marijuana " in California ? Is their a 5 gram limit ......

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: going to pot

Postby Bohannon » Wed Aug 20, 3:56 pm

Hobie wrote:Hey Chili and Bo ................

Whats the average price per gram ? in Cali dispensaries . Also can I use My RI Licence for " medical Marijuana " in California ? Is their a 5 gram limit ......

You know, I am not sure of the "cross state" issue. I will ask and report back if nobody else does first. Perhaps you could email one say, The Berkeley Patients Group and explain to them that you are a legal medican user and will be traveling to California but are reluctant to bring your "medicine" onto an airplane for obvious reasons. Ask them if they would allow you to make a purchase or if they have any advice.

Gram prices for well manicured and cured buds ranges from about $35 and eighth to $55. Concentrates vary a great deal, kif etc can be around $20 per gram and good ice can be as much as $50 per gram. No real bargains but at least you can buy it. Most place also have clones for sale and a wide range of edibles.

There are some limits but they are "daily" and generous, the bastards would only let me buy 7 lollies at one time! They will probably sell you weed up to the local limit (set by counties) most are 8 oz of dry/cured.

Pax

tuttiflutes
super power poster
super power poster

Postby tuttiflutes » Wed Aug 20, 4:02 pm

BOhannon wrote:

Well, contrary to what some other's have said, getting my recommendation has always involved a cursory exam and required copied of medical records ans prescriptions.

pax

Seeing my neuro Monday, what is a cursory exam?

I am going to begin the process to file for disability and If I don't go back to institutional teaching I want to move from Florida and will need a recommendation for a Doctor who can provide a MM recommendation.

Tutti

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Wed Aug 20, 4:15 pm

by "cursory examination" I mean the standard "height, weight, Blood pressure, stethoscope to the chest" kinda thing. Clothing removal was not required (you could ask, lol). So you are considering a move to the golden state? (read my PM please, the Piano arrives this afternoon!)

Pax

HighCountry
power poster
power poster

Postby HighCountry » Wed Aug 20, 4:58 pm

Hobie wrote:Also can I use My RI Lisence for " medical Marijuana " in California ? Is their a 5 gram limit ......

I just noticed this from the Colorado MM website. "At this time, there are no “reciprocity� agreements with other states to recognize the Colorado law except in Montana and Rhode Island."

Want to come to Colorado Hobie? Our limit is 2 oz.

Happy Trails...

Hobie
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Hobie » Wed Aug 20, 8:07 pm

HighCountry wrote:
Hobie wrote:Also can I use My RI Lisence for " medical Marijuana " in California ? Is their a 5 gram limit ......

I just noticed this from the Colorado MM website. "At this time, there are no “reciprocity� agreements with other states to recognize the Colorado law except in Montana and Rhode Island."

Want to come to Colorado Hobie? Our limit is 2 oz.

Happy Trails...

@ one time I lived in Aurora .......... " Been a Long time "

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”