Singapore Day 6 " Temples and Cubans"

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

TheGoatMan1
super power poster
super power poster

Singapore Day 6 " Temples and Cubans"

Postby TheGoatMan1 » Tue Jul 01, 9:58 am

We are told that the ship's party will be help this evening, so my two co-workers and i have the day off after lunch. We decide to hop on the MRT and check out the thien hock keng temple.We take the 30 minute MRT ride to tanjong pagar station. From here we walk for about five minutes, until we see the temple.At first, my co-worker thinks it might be a chineese restaraunt, but upon closer examination, we confirm it is our destination.I approach the entrance. I ask someone at the temple entrance if shoes are permitted insie the temple. They are. "How about pictures?", "I don't see why not". So we wander the very small structure, admiring the intricate gold work on the altar, and the statues used to make offerings. The altar is filled with small statues, to the left is a small furnace used to burn prayer sheets, for fortune and good luck, or to pray for ancestors. We spend about 25-30 minutes here, and then quietly leave the parishoners to their prayer. We head back to the MRT, and ride to the City hall station. Going up the escalator, you are taken directly inside a shopping mall. crafty bastards! We navigate our way past stores selling stuff I couldn't afford, even if i wanted to start cross dressing. We exit the mall, and directly across the street is the Raffles Hotel. We go and take pictures by the fountain in the courtyard, and check out the overpriced gift shop. From here we make our way to the "Bar & billiards" portion of the hotel. I ask a lovely woman where the cigars are located. She directs me to two, six foot tall cases in the back.there are many kinds of cigars, several of which are Cuban varieties. Naturally, I had to have their finest cigar. I purchased a "Cuaba Distinguishdo" for 60 Sing.It is getting late into the afternoon, and the three of us want to head back and get cleaned up and rested for the ship's party.After a quick shot down the MRT line, and an even shorter cab ride, we are back onboard.

*Several hours later*

We meet at the bottom of the gangway to catch the bus the Capt. has chartered for the event. There are 26 of us, so the bus has to make two trips. We finally arrive at a beautiful waterfront park. Families camping and fishing all along the path.The restaraunt is in the middle of the park, with a view of the water. There are tables already set up outside for us, and the pitchers of Tiger are already lined up waiting for us. We are seated, and very soon the first courses arrive. it is an appetizer platter, with stuffed dumplings, shrimp on a bed of bean curd pudding,a lobster salad, and what appears to be vienna sausages wrapped in seaweed. The lobster salad is quickly declared the favorite, the dumpling being a close second. The weather is beautiful, and everyone is glad to be relaxing, and enjoying a cold one (or two). Next comes the deep fried sweet and sour fish. Very tasty. More dishes in 20 minute intervals: Chili crab with toasted buns, Peppered deer meat (which was amazing), Beef stir fry and many more that i now can't recall (should have written this earlier) We finished the evening with a large fruit platter: mangoes,star fruit,papaya, watermelon, but sadly, no durian.

We are all full and relaxed. When we board the bus, most of us are dropped off at a local bar,I elect to retire early, to save some energy for the day to come. Another fine day in Singapore comes to a close.

Dano
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Dano » Wed Jul 02, 2:31 am

I liked every installment. Well written, and easy to read. It makes me want to go back to Singapore

Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Generous_J » Wed Jul 02, 2:45 am

Retiring early again eh? tutut.

You do like your food. you could be a food travel writer.

TheGoatMan1
super power poster
super power poster

Postby TheGoatMan1 » Thu Jul 03, 1:28 am

Dano wrote:I liked every installment. Well written, and easy to read. It makes me want to go back to Singapore

Thanks Dano. I really enjoyed Singapore, and would like to go back again one day.

Generous J wrote:You do like your food. you could be a food travel writer.

I do enjoy the culinary side of travel. I don't deny that I'm envious of Anthony Bourdain and Andrew Zimmern. What a great "Job" that would be.

Dano
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Dano » Thu Jul 03, 9:02 pm

TheGoatMan1 wrote:[Andrew Zimmern. .

EEW. I've seen his show. He seems all to happy to consume disgusting shit, and munches happily on endangered species.

I bet he's a child molester and a cannibal too.

TheGoatMan1
super power poster
super power poster

Postby TheGoatMan1 » Thu Jul 03, 11:01 pm

Dano wrote:
TheGoatMan1 wrote:[Andrew Zimmern. .

EEW. I've seen his show. He seems all to happy to consume disgusting shit, and munches happily on endangered species.

I bet he's a child molester and a cannibal too.

Maybe so, but he couldn't even choke down one bite of durian fruit,not even one! I managed two and a half pieces before I decided that it wasn't my cup o' tea.

FitZerOy
power poster
power poster

Postby FitZerOy » Thu Jul 03, 11:12 pm

Thanks for this series of reports GoatMan...informative, lucid recount of a trip you obviously enjoyed greatly...i've been on a seafood binge thanks to you(no bad thing)and you have definately wetted my appetite for my trip next year

TheGoatMan1
super power poster
super power poster

Postby TheGoatMan1 » Thu Jul 03, 11:41 pm

Thanks for the kind replies. Many more episodes on the way, and mor pictures to boot.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”