Swins diary 2008 day 6 - 16th June

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Swin
super power poster
super power poster

Swins diary 2008 day 6 - 16th June

Postby Swin » Tue Jun 17, 7:52 pm

Up early to pack as sadly it was the last day of this year's trip. Dragged the holdall downstairs at the same time as I went to breakfast as I just couldn't do the stairs twice!
Checked out, left the bag in the luggage store and went in to breakfast and met a young Chinese woman, in town as part of some delegation or other attending a conference. She was from Beijing and had never been outside China before. Her face was a picture as she marvelled open-mouthed at the street outside then disappeared, camera in hand, another instantly in love with Amsterdam, on her first exploration.
Legged it up to Noorderkerke to the Monday market, lots more flea market type stalls and less housewares / clothing dealers than before. Saw Holly and TAK setting up and said hello and goodbye.
Off then via Broodje Bert (that bacon is bloody amazing) to meet a guy in Cafe Scheltma(?) on Nieuwezijds Voorburgwaal to buy some stamps.
On route I was approached, for the first time this trip, by an 'Excuse me sir have you any spare change please' hopeful but with a more optimistic if slightly overcooked first line, 'Excuse me sir I need 2000 Euros''. I was tempted (but not for long) to bung him five Euros for his cheek but settled for a more satisfying sarcastic 'Don't we all mate, don't we all' and moved on.
Popped into the Cafe de Zwaarte to see an old boy who has been drinking in there from 10 until 12 every weekday for 53 years apparently! Again how nice to be greeted by name as I walked in despite not seeing him for a year and then just for an hour or so.
While in the Zwaarte 'the nutter' appeared and sat on a bench outside the Atheneum on the Spui. Everywhere has one (we have Mac The Knife for example) its just a matter of degree and when you spot him. This bloke, a big black guy, was shouting, shaking his fist at and on occasions chasing, everything that moved from tram to pedestrian - one way to guarantee a tourist-free seat in what is a popular area to just sit and watch. The cause of his excitement appeared unbelieveably to be a six pack of Heineken - a nutter indeed!
Dropped some stuff back at the hotel then walked this time across Rokin, far less road works and disruption this year but still a way to go, and through Grimburgwal to Kloviersburgwal then via Staalstraat to Groenburgwal and Raamgracht, two beautiful 'forgotten' canals.
All too soon it was time to head back to the Gollum to have a last beer with Surreal. Just after four a middle-aged American lady - an Amsterdam (20 years of visiting) and beer nutter came in followed shortly afterwards by a young bloke from Chicage who was on his way to Switzerland to see some of the Euro 2008 games. Swept up by the Dutch fervour he was in a Dutch football shirt and orange cap but his knowledge of football (and he called it football not soccer) was amazing.
One thing led to another and eventually thanks to the hotel receptionist, I was poured into a taxi sporting Turkish flags and driven by a Turkish football fanatic at about 7 pm. The guy managed to drop me claiming the roadworks prevented him getting any closer, about 400m from CS and I was daft enough to tip the bloke.
The rest soon flashed by, CS, the rail journey to Schiphol, check-in, boarding and suddenly it was all over for another year.
One last quote from our graffitti friend seen on a hoarding in Oude Looiersstraat near La Tertulia: 'I touched the glass where oblivion rules outside'.

Thanks for your interest
Tot ziens!
Last edited by Swin on Sat Jun 21, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeFromTx
super power poster
super power poster

Postby MikeFromTx » Tue Jun 17, 7:56 pm

Thanks for the report. It sucks to leave! And yes everywhere has one.

Mac The Knife

Postby Mac The Knife » Tue Jun 17, 7:57 pm

Your giving me a mention in your shit post.

Don't you feel dirty?

Red Pleb
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: Swins diary 288 day 6 - 16th June

Postby Red Pleb » Tue Jun 17, 11:20 pm

Swin wrote:Up early to pack as sadly it was the last day of this year's trip. Dragged the holdall downstairs at the same time as I went to breakfast as I just couldn't do the stairs twice!
Checked out, left the bag in the luggage store and went in to breakfast and met a young Chinese woman, in town as part of some delegation or other attending a conference. She was from Beijing and had never been outside China before. Her face was a picture as she marvelled open-mouthed at the street outside then disappeared, camera in hand, another instantly in love with Amsterdam, on her first exploration.
Legged it up to Noorderkerke to the Monday market, lots more flea market type stalls and less housewares / clothing dealers than before. Saw Holly and TAK setting up and said hello and goodbye.
Off then via Broodje Bert (that bacon is bloody amazing) to meet a guy in Cafe Scheltma(?) on Nieuwezijds Voorburgwaal to buy some stamps.
On route I was approached, for the first time this trip, by an 'Excuse me sir have you any spare change please' hopeful but with a more optimistic if slightly overcooked first line, 'Excuse me sir I need 2000 Euros''. I was tempted (but not for long) to bung him five Euros for his cheek but settled for a more satisfying sarcastic 'Don't we all mate, don't we all' and moved on.
Popped into the Cafe de Zwaarte to see an old boy who has been drinking in there from 10 until 12 every weekday for 53 years apparently! Again how nice to be greeted by name as I walked in despite not seeing him for a year and then just for an hour or so.
While in the Zwaarte 'the nutter' appeared and sat on a bench outside the Atheneum on the Spui. Everywhere has one (we have Mac The Knife for example) its just a matter of degree and when you spot him. This bloke, a big black guy, was shouting, shaking his fist at and on occasions chasing, everything that moved from tram to pedestrian - one way to guarantee a tourist-free seat in what is a popular area to just sit and watch. The cause of his excitement appeared unbelieveably to be a six pack of Heineken - a nutter indeed!
Dropped some stuff back at the hotel then walked this time across Rokin, far less road works and disruption this year but still a way to go, and through Grimburgwal to Kloviersburgwal then via Staalstraat to Groenburgwal and Raamgracht, two beautiful 'forgotten' canals.
All too soon it was time to head back to the Gollum to have a last beer with Surreal. Just after four a middle-aged American lady - an Amsterdam (20 years of visiting) and beer nutter came in followed shortly afterwards by a young bloke from Chicage who was on his way to Switzerland to see some of the Euro 2008 games. Swept up by the Dutch fervour he was in a Dutch football shirt and orange cap but his knowledge of football (and he called it football not soccer) was amazing.
One thing led to another and eventually thanks to the hotel receptionist, I was poured into a taxi sporting Turkish flags and driven by a Turkish football fanatic at about 7 pm. The guy managed to drop me claiming the roadworks prevented him getting any closer, about 400m from CS and I was daft enough to tip the bloke.
The rest soon flashed by, CS, the rail journey to Schiphol, check-in, boarding and suddenly it was all over for another year.
One last quote from our graffitti friend seen on a hoarding in Oude Looiersstraat near La Tertulia: 'I touched the glass where oblivion rules outside'.

Thanks for your interest
Tot ziens!

Great set of reports . Enjoyed the read.

theguest
super power poster
super power poster

Postby theguest » Wed Jun 18, 9:54 am

great stuff. thanks for the series of posts!

theron7
regular
regular

Postby theron7 » Fri Jun 20, 5:05 pm

I enjoyed reading about your journey and wanderings, thanks for taking the time to share!

PUSSYGALORE

Postby PUSSYGALORE » Fri Jun 20, 10:38 pm

Ditto

Mac The Knife

Postby Mac The Knife » Fri Jun 20, 10:42 pm

PUSSYGALORE wrote:Ditto

Shit, you are so educated.

Please ditto me. (whatever that means)

PUSSYGALORE

Postby PUSSYGALORE » Sat Jun 21, 6:05 am

Mac The Knife wrote:

My darling Mac, the term 'ditto' means 'the same'. So if you said to me 'I LOVE YOU', and I replied 'DITTO', it would mean that I LOVE YOU BACK.

I used it here as a short version of what the other guys had said about the trip report.

Did you not see the flick 'GHOST'? Some really great romantic love scenes between Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze. He had the lead roll in the flick 'DIRTY DANCING', oh those were the days!

XX

MikeFromTx
super power poster
super power poster

Postby MikeFromTx » Sat Jun 21, 1:28 pm

PUSSYGALORE wrote:
Mac The Knife wrote:

My darling Mac, the term 'ditto' means 'the same'. So if you said to me 'I LOVE YOU', and I replied 'DITTO', it would mean that I LOVE YOU BACK.

I used it here as a short version of what the other guys had said about the trip report.

Did you not see the flick 'GHOST'? Some really great romantic love scenes between Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze. He had the lead roll in the flick 'DIRTY DANCING', oh those were the days!

XX

Have you seen Silence of the Lambs? Buffalo Bill doesnt watch that much tv.

TAK
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: Swins diary 2008 day 6 - 16th June

Postby TAK » Sun Jun 22, 6:11 pm

Swin wrote: a young bloke from Chicage who was on his way to Switzerland to see some of the Euro 2008 games. Swept up by the Dutch fervour he was in a Dutch football shirt and orange cap but his knowledge of football (and he called it football not soccer) was amazing.
!

Good report Swin,
It was good meeting you and I enjoyed you company.

BTW, anybody that is from ChicagE would probably call soccer, football.

LOL!
Dag
TAK

PUSSYGALORE

Postby PUSSYGALORE » Mon Jun 23, 12:10 am

MikeFromTx wrote:
PUSSYGALORE wrote:
Mac The Knife wrote:

XX

Sorry MikeFromTx but I dont get that comment. Could you please explain yourself.

shezzuk1

Postby shezzuk1 » Mon Jun 23, 12:18 am

You are a serious weirdo PUSSYGALORE, don't ask me why but you just are. You really give me the creeps. When I was a small child, I dislocated my arm/shoulder in a playground in Wales, and there was this strange woman that tended to me, you remind me of her.

PUSSYGALORE

Postby PUSSYGALORE » Mon Jun 23, 1:07 am

shezzuk1 wrote:You are a serious weirdo PUSSYGALORE, don't ask me why but you just are. You really give me the creeps. When I was a small child, I dislocated my arm/shoulder in a playground in Wales, and there was this strange woman that tended to me, you remind me of her.

Dont ask you why but I just am. Are you sure it was your shoulder you dislocated. Grow up freak. This is the big girls' playground. Your mama should have warned you about us.

But your still a small child, whats changed?

Yes I can imagine a 'strange' kind of woman wanting to 'tend' to you!

Maybe she should have done us all a favour and put a plastic bag over your head for a couple of minutes - oh, I see, maybe she did and thats the problem here.

Or maybe you stayed too long in the birth canal. Staying there too long can cause all sorts of nasty things, brain damage, pesonality disorders.

If you ever manage to sire anything other than bullshit, perhaps you could ask your birthing partner to have a c-section. Less risk that way of any problems, cos you sound to me as though you've got enough already.

Get a life. Bet you'de love one like mine deary, its sweet.

MikeFromTx
super power poster
super power poster

Postby MikeFromTx » Mon Jun 23, 5:07 am

PUSSYGALORE wrote:
MikeFromTx wrote:
PUSSYGALORE wrote:
Mac The Knife wrote:

XX

Sorry MikeFromTx but I dont get that comment. Could you please explain yourself.

It rubs the lotion on its skin. It does this whenever it's told. Think pussy think!

boneymaroni
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby boneymaroni » Tue Jun 24, 1:32 am

Nice trip reports Swin....I genuinely enjoyed reading them

Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Generous_J » Tue Jun 24, 3:26 am

PUSSYGALORE wrote:
shezzuk1 wrote:You are a serious weirdo PUSSYGALORE, don't ask me why but you just are. You really give me the creeps. When I was a small child, I dislocated my arm/shoulder in a playground in Wales, and there was this strange woman that tended to me, you remind me of her.

Dont ask you why but I just am. Are you sure it was your shoulder you dislocated. Grow up freak. This is the big girls' playground. Your mama should have warned you about us.

But your still a small child, whats changed?

Yes I can imagine a 'strange' kind of woman wanting to 'tend' to you!

Maybe she should have done us all a favour and put a plastic bag over your head for a couple of minutes - oh, I see, maybe she did and thats the problem here.

Or maybe you stayed too long in the birth canal. Staying there too long can cause all sorts of nasty things, brain damage, pesonality disorders.

If you ever manage to sire anything other than bullshit, perhaps you could ask your birthing partner to have a c-section. Less risk that way of any problems, cos you sound to me as though you've got enough already.

Get a life. Bet you'de love one like mine deary, its sweet.

You are fucked

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby LastHamlet » Tue Jun 24, 6:30 pm

I spent part of Sunday reading this set of reports, Swin, and finished them off this morning. Excellent Read!!!and Many Thanks for letting us travlel along.

All The Best Regards,
LH

SlyCrayon
super poster
super poster

Postby SlyCrayon » Mon Jun 30, 4:07 pm

"To thine own self be true"

Posting after Hamlet, I felt I should quote Polonious.

groetjes
; )

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”