Swins diary 2008 Day 5 - 15th June

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Swin
super power poster
super power poster

Swins diary 2008 Day 5 - 15th June

Postby Swin » Mon Jun 16, 8:03 am

Up and out quite late (for me) this morning. Everywhere was deserted of course it being Sunday but strangely, I meant to mention yesterday, Saturday mornings seem to start really slowly in Amsterdam too unlike the mad rush to the shops etc we see in UK.
Anyway a walk in a different direction today resulted in finding an area I had never explored before (in about 50 visits) and the discovery of a quiet corner of fabulous houses in the Oud Zuid between Vondelpark and Lairessestraat the the architecture of some of which was if anything more amazing than that on the Grachtengordel. Fabulous tiled walls and mosaics etc with turrets and impressive gates. Being Sunday it was quiet but small bars/cafes were opening for coffee etc. The trip when I stop finding new corners or stop being surprised by this city will be my last.
Then I went to Museum Plein, it was a nice sunny morning so I sat and watched as 'Japan on tour' clambered in their giggling hundreds on and around the large 'I AMsterdam' lettering sculpture.
A leisurely walk then after a couple of beers via Prinsengracht to Reguliersgract, a lovely canal at any time but especially so on a quiet Sunday morning. This inevitably led to the obscenity that is Rembrandtplein already awash with 'street performers' disguised as beggars, hung over groups from stag parties and a number of hopeful market stalls manned by would-be 'modern artists' who clearly (to my very unprofessional eye) clearly tripped and simply spilled the paint on the canvas.
Off then to get Flaamse Frites at the famous place near the Spui where todays best overheard tourist remark was gathered. A nice clean cut family, mother, father and regulation boy and girl approached to order. The little girl asked for mayonnaise to which her father retorted ''We're American - we'll have toMAYto sauce'. I laughed but of course had it been an option many Brits might have chosen the Daddies brown sauce I suppose!
Numerous beers later on the Spui at Hoppe and Cafe de Zwaarte led to a short afternoon nap before meeting Anne at Cafe Pepeneiland (thanks for coming as always Anne) before joining TAK and Holly for a lovely early evening barbeque on Asoka (many thanks both of you for inviting me and for the excellent food). Also put a face at last to Mile High and his lady and Oracle - great to meet you guys - strange how people are never as you imagined (but then I bet you didn't expect a fat old fart like me either!)
Wandered slowly back to the hotel via Gollem and Cafe Eland past todays offering from my favourite graffitti artist:- 'Climbing out of the tomb to spit a hole in the sky' (?)
Last day today so want to make the most of it. My last report (much relief all around) may have to wait until Tuesday as I don't get home till Midnight tonight and I'm knackered!
Cheers all

shezzuk1

Postby shezzuk1 » Mon Jun 16, 10:26 am

Thanks for the report, wish I was there too!

theguest
super power poster
super power poster

Postby theguest » Mon Jun 16, 12:06 pm

great stuff. You really have a talent for recounting an adventure on paper (or screen).

May you have great times on the rest of your adventure.

btw 50 times to Amsterdam? I have been around 30 and I have decided to make plans to move there. But 50? Is there something keeping you in the UK? Does the missus not like Amsterdam?

Mac The Knife

Re: Swins diary 2008 Day 5 - 15th June

Postby Mac The Knife » Mon Jun 16, 1:45 pm

Swin wrote:Up and out quite late (for me) this morning. Everywhere was deserted of course it being Sunday but strangely, I meant to mention yesterday, Saturday mornings seem to start really slowly in Amsterdam too unlike the mad rush to the shops etc we see in UK.
Anyway a walk in a different direction today resulted in finding an area I had never explored before (in about 50 visits) and the discovery of a quiet corner of fabulous houses in the Oud Zuid between Vondelpark and Lairessestraat the the architecture of some of which was if anything more amazing than that on the Grachtengordel. Fabulous tiled walls and mosaics etc with turrets and impressive gates. Being Sunday it was quiet but small bars/cafes were opening for coffee etc. The trip when I stop finding new corners or stop being surprised by this city will be my last.
Then I went to Museum Plein, it was a nice sunny morning so I sat and watched as 'Japan on tour' clambered in their giggling hundreds on and around the large 'I AMsterdam' lettering sculpture.
A leisurely walk then after a couple of beers via Prinsengracht to Reguliersgract, a lovely canal at any time but especially so on a quiet Sunday morning. This inevitably led to the obscenity that is Rembrandtplein already awash with 'street performers' disguised as beggars, hung over groups from stag parties and a number of hopeful market stalls manned by would-be 'modern artists' who clearly (to my very unprofessional eye) clearly tripped and simply spilled the paint on the canvas.
Off then to get Flaamse Frites at the famous place near the Spui where todays best overheard tourist remark was gathered. A nice clean cut family, mother, father and regulation boy and girl approached to order. The little girl asked for mayonnaise to which her father retorted ''We're American - we'll have toMAYto sauce'. I laughed but of course had it been an option many Brits might have chosen the Daddies brown sauce I suppose!
Numerous beers later on the Spui at Hoppe and Cafe de Zwaarte led to a short afternoon nap before meeting Anne at Cafe Pepeneiland (thanks for coming as always Anne) before joining TAK and Holly for a lovely early evening barbeque on Asoka (many thanks both of you for inviting me and for the excellent food). Also put a face at last to Mile High and his lady and Oracle - great to meet you guys - strange how people are never as you imagined (but then I bet you didn't expect a fat old fart like me either!)
Wandered slowly back to the hotel via Gollem and Cafe Eland past todays offering from my favourite graffitti artist:- 'Climbing out of the tomb to spit a hole in the sky' (?)
Last day today so want to make the most of it. My last report (much relief all around) may have to wait until Tuesday as I don't get home till Midnight tonight and I'm knackered!
Cheers all

Honestly pal I wouldn't give up the day job.

What the fuck makes you feel that anybody is interested in how you spend your sad days careering from bar to bar meeting up with a group of fellow washouts. All back slappin each other and mouthing false comments of peace, love and understanding. This fake friendship being the only cement which binds you all together like a broken daisy chain lying crushed in a rain swept gutter on the Princengracht, a burst condom, its last traces of semen seeping into the stagnant water beside the daisies forming a myriad of colour and wasted life.

Observational sketches are plain dull even in the hands of a master such as Bukowski. In your hands they begin to read like a list of tasks a deranged mental institute patient writes out whilst playing mind games with their alter-ego.

If you still have delusions about your "writing ability" take my advice and stick to writing your signature on your fuckin Giro and leave it at that.

MikeFromTx
super power poster
super power poster

Postby MikeFromTx » Mon Jun 16, 2:27 pm

Mac The Knife wrote:
Swin wrote:Up and out quite late (for me) this morning. Everywhere was deserted of course it being Sunday but strangely, I meant to mention yesterday, Saturday mornings seem to start really slowly in Amsterdam too unlike the mad rush to the shops etc we see in UK.
Cheers all

What the fuck makes you feel that anybody is interested in how you spend your sad days careering from bar to bar meeting up with a group of fellow washouts. All back slappin each other and mouthing false comments of peace, love and understanding. This fake friendship being the only cement which binds you all together like a broken daisy chain lying crushed in a rain swept gutter on the Princengracht, a burst condom, its last traces of semen seeping into the stagnant water beside the daisies forming a myriad of colour and wasted life.

Observational sketches are plain dull even in the hands of a master such as Bukowski. In your hands they begin to read like a list of tasks a deranged mental institute patient writes out whilst playing mind games with their alter-ego.

If you still have delusions about your "writing ability" take my advice and stick to writing your signature on your fuckin Giro and leave it at that.

Mac, I bet you have had the shit beaten out of you many times in your life. He posted on this forum because its called "Trip Reports" you dumb fuck. Nobody gives a shit what your little piss ant brain thinks about their reports. You don't have enough sense to pour piss out of a boot--with the directions on the heel. The reason you post shit like this is because you are insecure with yourself. I bet you could eat a corn cob through a picket fence you ugly fuck. Now fuck off.

Mac The Knife

Postby Mac The Knife » Mon Jun 16, 2:45 pm

MikeFromTx wrote:
Mac The Knife wrote:
Cheers all

Mac, I bet you have had the shit beaten out of you many times in your life. He posted on this forum because its called "Trip Reports" you dumb fuck. Nobody gives a shit what your little piss ant brain thinks about their reports. You don't have enough sense to pour piss out of a boot--with the directions on the heel. The reason you post shit like this is because you are insecure with yourself. I bet you could eat a corn cob through a picket fence you ugly fuck. Now fuck off.

Mikey baby you have to sign up for another anger management course. I actually thought we were beginning to sow the seeds of friendship. Think about it Mikey I could have been your FIRST friend.

Now I will have to reconsider my relationship with you in light of the offensive remarks you made. Maybe i can let it pass considering you being out there in some compound surrounded by other dumb ass rednecks and rag heads. The only sexual release you get is jackin off over my posts or the poor Iraqi who you boys use as your malefriend.

It could have been sooooooooo different.

Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Generous_J » Mon Jun 16, 2:50 pm

MikeFromTx wrote:
Mac The Knife wrote:
Swin wrote:Up and out quite late (for me) this morning. Everywhere was....
...Midnight tonight and I'm knackered!
Cheers all

Amen

burn001down
power poster
power poster

Postby burn001down » Mon Jun 16, 3:44 pm

[quote="Mac The Knife]

If you still have delusions about your "writing ability" take my advice and stick to writing your signature on your fuckin Giro and leave it at that.[/quote]

The argument for legalized abortion has been strengthened even more! What a useless twat you are, Mac. Total waste of sperm.

Love your reporting, Swim. Don't let the fuckwads deter you from continuing.

Mac The Knife

Postby Mac The Knife » Mon Jun 16, 6:32 pm

Generous_J wrote:
MikeFromTx wrote:
Mac The Knife wrote:
Cheers all

Amen

You are a waste of space.

One line wonder.

Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Generous_J » Mon Jun 16, 6:43 pm

Mac The Knife wrote:
Generous_J wrote:
MikeFromTx wrote:
Mac The Knife wrote:
Cheers all

Amen

You are a waste of space.

One line wonder.

Does being an utter wanker all day get tiring?

a bollocks
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: Not A'dam dam'it..... a traveler, a heart, no woot for you.

Postby a bollocks » Mon Jun 16, 11:05 pm

to the fucking NOOB.

Trip report section is off-limits to your desperate attempts at belonging.

No flames allowed.

GOT IT?

DRRB
power poster
power poster

Postby DRRB » Tue Jun 17, 2:30 am

Swin,
As usual..another excellent report.
Thank you.
DRRB

SlyCrayon
super poster
super poster

Postby SlyCrayon » Tue Jun 24, 7:35 pm

Your trip reports are like a refreshing walk with a friend; thank you, Swin.

nellie
super power poster
super power poster

Postby nellie » Tue Jun 24, 10:00 pm

Great reports. I can almost smell the city reading these. Nice laid back so different to get a feeling rather than the usual menus.

BTw did you ask about mussel pans in cafe klos?

RealityCzech
power poster
power poster

Postby RealityCzech » Wed Jun 25, 11:34 pm

Swin wrote:Anyway a walk in a different direction today resulted in finding an area I had never explored before (in about 50 visits) and the discovery of a quiet corner of fabulous houses in the Oud Zuid between Vondelpark and Lairessestraat the the architecture of some of which was if anything more amazing than that on the Grachtengordel. Fabulous tiled walls and mosaics etc with turrets and impressive gates. Being Sunday it was quiet but small bars/cafes were opening for coffee etc.

Swin, I think you may have come across the "United Europe" houses on the Roemer Visscherstraat. They are indeed quite unusual and not very well known by tourists. I've found some info in English on them and perhaps when you've read the descriptions, it will explain the almost eccentric architecture of the buildings:
http://us.holland.com/e/24493/United-Eu ... straat.php
and a photo:
http://positron.truman.edu/~edis/pictur ... mage8.html

mafuman
super power poster
super power poster
Location: ANDRE3000 started a thread about pancakes which has remained pleasant and informative.

Postby mafuman » Thu Jun 26, 2:49 am

RealityCzech wrote:
Swin wrote:Anyway a walk in a different direction today resulted in finding an area I had never explored before (in about 50 visits) and the discovery of a quiet corner of fabulous houses in the Oud Zuid between Vondelpark and Lairessestraat the the architecture of some of which was if anything more amazing than that on the Grachtengordel. Fabulous tiled walls and mosaics etc with turrets and impressive gates. Being Sunday it was quiet but small bars/cafes were opening for coffee etc.

Swin, I think you may have come across the "United Europe" houses on the Roemer Visscherstraat. They are indeed quite unusual and not very well known by tourists. I've found some info in English on them and perhaps when you've read the descriptions, it will explain the almost eccentric architecture of the buildings:
http://us.holland.com/e/24493/United-Eu ... straat.php
and a photo:
http://positron.truman.edu/~edis/pictur ... mage8.html

very cool.

i've always wished i could have lived in one of those houses witha window bench thing where you can sit. i dont know the real tearm for it, but the house on the far right has one. i had a firend with one and it was fun on a rainy day watching the sparks from the trams as they go by.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”