Swin's 2008 diary day 1 - 11th June

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Swin
super power poster
super power poster

Swin's 2008 diary day 1 - 11th June

Postby Swin » Thu Jun 12, 7:46 am

At about 7 pm last night I was in two minds whether to post a diary report or not - basically everything was just the same as 2007 Amsterdam-wise!
Took the new coach service to the airport instead of driving (about half the price, or less, of petrol and car parking) so had a much more relaxed trip to Stanstead.
Relaxation ended on arrival at Schiphol however, as I feared having no Euro coins, by the time I had queued for a rail ticket I got down to the platform to see the 1701 train disappearing into the distance. (In fairness the queues at the ticket machines were just as bad) Got the 1711 arriving outside CS just as the last Opstapper / StopGo was pulling away. Had the usual aggro getting a taxi driver interested in taking me to Looiersgracht but made it eventually. Still got that fantastic buzz and the 'I'M BACK' feeling as we drove down Prinsengracht.
Straight out to the Hoppe on the Spui only to find it was 'new season herring night'and about 300 (at least) Amsterdammers and a few confused Americans were jammed shoulder to shoulder outside eating herring and drinking free Genever. So much for the new rule about no standing drinking on terraces- no one would have shifted that lot. Couldn't get anywhere near the herring cart but managed a few gratis Genevers!
At this point a reportable incident occurred making the Hoppe scrum very worthwhile. A woman about 30 having partaken of too many herring and gin threw up spectacularly into the bag on the back of some poor buggers bike. As technicolour yawns go it was nothing special but holding the bag open to provide a discreet receptacle was something else.
Off to the Cafe de Klos then for vaarkensaas, a steady stroll back to the Gollem for a few Westmalle Dubbels then an early night.
On the way back I came across a superb, very early, restored to showroom condition Citroen DS being recovered at the corner of Kaizersgracht and the side street having been in what must have been a huge impact (given the nature of the narrow streets) with another vehicle already removed. The entire front end was gone and the engine was pushed right back into the footwells. An elderly Dutchman (presumably the owner) complete with superb moustache stood watching with tears in his eyes. I recall the idea to ban older cars from Amsterdam was scrapped a week or so ago - well this guy appeared to be doing his best to implement the ruling single-handedly.
Feel like shit this morning and its cloudy, cold and looks like rain - it must be wonderful Amsterdam...

MikeFromTx
super power poster
super power poster

Postby MikeFromTx » Thu Jun 12, 11:29 am

have a good time!

mobiljenny
super power poster
super power poster

Postby mobiljenny » Thu Jun 12, 1:35 pm

Enjoyed. Thanks for taking the time.

Chili Ed
super poster
super poster

Postby Chili Ed » Thu Jun 12, 1:54 pm

Cool.

Ready for Day 2.

Chili

SlyCrayon
super poster
super poster

Postby SlyCrayon » Thu Jun 12, 4:00 pm

You put a special spin on a trip report, Swin. Thanks for posting. Sorry about weather, hope it brightens up for you.

Note to Self: NEVER leave empty bag on bicycle!

Was that a grey Citroen? I got a nice couple pictures of one last month. Sorry I don't know the model, but it had beautiful curves.

Bollo
regular
regular

Postby Bollo » Thu Jun 12, 4:21 pm

nice one swin, keep em coming!

Red Pleb
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Red Pleb » Thu Jun 12, 5:58 pm

Enjoyed that. Sink a couple in Hoppe for me .

Swin
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Swin » Thu Jun 12, 11:14 pm

SlyCrayon wrote:Was that a grey Citroen? I got a nice couple pictures of one last month. Sorry I don't know the model, but it had beautiful curves.

Yes it was! And in immaculate condition too - well before the accident that is...

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”