May 3rd- May 9th

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Rks0
just in
just in

May 3rd- May 9th

Postby Rks0 » Wed May 14, 5:34 pm

This is my first post, so I thought I'd let you know about my recent visit to Amsterdam.
Got into Central at about 9am, and rang the Hotel (Piet Hein) which is close To Vondel Park, to see if it was possible to book in- unfortunately, the room wouldn't be ready till 2pm.
I subsequently stowed my baggage in the lockers at Central, and decided to get the show on the road, determining for the moment to stay relatively local.
So, where to go first?
Over the road to Central?
Or push into Centrum a bit and head down to 420 or Prix Dami?
Maybe head over to the Nieuwmarkt to Hill Street Blues and Stix?
I decided to head for Haarlemmerstraat, and headed to Pink Floyd (I don't care that it's now called Dampkring, it has always been, and will always be, Pink Floyd for me).
The upstairs was cordoned off, and indeed all seating downstairs was as well- they were doing a 'purchases' only thing, so I grabbed a bag of John Sinclair at €10 and skidaddled.
I pottered further down to Barney's, and immediately turned back- I haven't been in Barneys for a few years, and couldn't bring myself to go in- the weed tends to be relatively expensive. On reflection, I wish I had got some G13 Haze, as I have heard good things about this.
So back down Haarlemmerstraat, with a view to finding somewhere to try this John Sinclair. Past Greenhouse Lounge (busy), and onto Popeyes- I love this place, but it too was busy, So I decided to just pick up a gram of Pink Kush, and a gram Of Alladins Chocolate hash.
Then, round the corner, I was surprised to see that Rokerij 2 was actually relatively quiet, and I managed to get a seat at the front of the shop- at the window. I also picked up a bag of White Shark.
Rolled up the Sinclair, and to be frank, was dissappointed.
The weed itself, looked, smelt, and felt right, but the actual smoke was a bit weak- I was expecting more.
I bummed around and about Central a bit more, then made my way to the hotel, only to be told by them (at 3pm) that my room was unavailable as they had had a flood, that had completely disabled the entire floor, but they were able to offer me a similar room at the Filosoof, some 10 minutes walk.
So, I headed there, only to be told that they had no smoking rooms available. The receptionist, told me to 'open the window' when I complained.
Some time later................unpacked, and freshened up, I headed out again.
First stop was Coffeeshop Crush On Marnixstraat for a gram of Blueberry, which was the best Blueberry I have ever tried- the smell, taste, and high were all superb.
I also headed out to Noon, and Mellow Yellow, but BOTH were out of the Orange Haze, Trainwreck, and the Blueberry Ice. I picked up a gram of White Melon though.
The following morning, I checked out of the hotel, and headed back to Centrum- I had an apartment from Greenhouse Effect booked (http://www.lovingamsterdam.com/Amsterda ... _1198.html)
for the next five nights, at the Nieuwmarkt- it was fabulous!
The rest of the trip is a bit of a blur (understandably), but I did document what purchases I made, which are, in no particular order:

Pink Kush Popeyes
Alladins Chocolate Hash Popeyes
NLX Haze Amnesia
Betty's Haze Betty Boop
Yellow Cab Grey Area
Kush Dampkring
Lovepotion Basjoes (Thanks to Boner for heads up)
Gunpowder Trichomes Stix
White Dolphin Dolphins
White Russian Rusland
Golden Soles Hash Grey Area
White Widow Greenhouse Effect
Lavender The Coin
NL Ice Hash Rusland
Rifman Shabani Dampkring
AK-47 Ice Hash Bushdoctors
Special Hill Street Blues
Trainwreck The Green Place
Honey Bee Amnesia
White Melon Noon
Morning Glory (2g) Bushdoctor
NYC Diesel Resin
Power Plant Jolly Joker
Sage n' Sour Betty Boop
John Sinclair Pink Floyd
Blueberry Coffeeshop Crush
B12 Stix
Bleu Cheese Bluebird
Kushage Betty Boop
White Shark Rokerij
Chocolope Grey Area
Bubblegum Kadinsky
Orange Bud Basjoes
Bubblegum Green Place
Blueberry 420 Cafe
Trainwreck Homegrown Fantasy
Gunpowder Trichomes Stix
Chocolope Grey Area
Special Hill Street Blues
Stawberry Haze Greenhouse Centrum
Lemon Skunk Grey area
Northern Lights Hill street Blues
Sage Haze Hill street Blues
Jamaican Basjoes

The only bit that I didn't smoke, was a joint that I had rolled up and had with me at the airport for the return flight- before leaving Centrum, I always roll up the last of my weed so I can smoke it at the airport.
I had 5 joints with me, and smoked one (I always go out the front, and sit by the water feature) as soon as I'd got to the airport.
I then checked in, and went back out to smoke some more.
As I was smoking feverishly (I had half hour to smoke 4 joints), two guys came up to me, and in broken English (they were East European), asked me the way to the nearest coffeeshop- evidently new to Amsterdam, and, I think were just waiting for a flight.
When I told them they would have to catch a train, they were noticeably dissapointed, so I gave them one of the joints that I had rolled, with a warning, telling them that it was strong.
Two smiling chappies later, I finished the rest of the joints I had and headed in to go and go through Passport control, and just before I did, swallowed half a gram of Golden Soles that I had left from Grey Area.

Lokking back, in my opinion, the quality of weed in Amsterdam, is still very good, but seems to deteriorated somewhat over the last couple of years.

Best smoke- Chocolope, amazing!
Worst Smoke- White Melon, was OK, nothing special.

markcheech
power poster
power poster

Postby markcheech » Wed May 14, 6:08 pm

hey Rks0, i've noticed the same thing too. the strength of the weed has gone down a lot over the years. last june altough all the purchases i had looked incredible, most had very low effects as far as how high i got.

i was talking to a coffeeshop owner last june. he said one of the reasons why everything was so "weaK' was there is no cure process. they grow, dry and sell.

some of the weed i bought was still a bit "wet" which sucked big time.

great report! you sure smoked a lot of different strains.

Dave J
power poster
power poster

Postby Dave J » Wed May 14, 6:26 pm

I recall on my third visit, for a m8's 40th birthday, being asked how I found the smokes that year. Never thought why they would ask for any reason?. And in thinking back from then to my first trip nothing I tried in the lower to mid price seemed to have been as potent!.

Except feb 07 (fifth trip) I tried various and everything seemed to be as remembered from the first to third trip!. I guess to a point it makes some difference to if you bother with the gear back home for which I dont!.

theguest
super power poster
super power poster

Postby theguest » Wed May 14, 6:49 pm

markcheech wrote:there is no cure process. they grow, dry and sell.

Yes. I noticed this too on my last trip. Hardly anything would grind into pieces in my metal grinder with sharp teeth. Nearly all the weed just got trapped on the teeth instead. I would say 90% of the weed was like this.

Next time I'm sticking to hash.

Great report btw! You sure smoked a lot! How did you remember them all!?

Rks0
just in
just in

Postby Rks0 » Wed May 14, 7:45 pm

I agree, the weed didn't seem to be cured as well as it could or indeed should be.
As for how I remember, when I get some weed, I just write on the bag what strain it is, and where I got it from, the price as well if I remember.
Then, I keep all the little bags, and towards the end of my trip, I take pics to document it all.
Easy!

Adoran
super poster
super poster

Postby Adoran » Thu May 15, 8:56 am

Nice report :o)

I have to say though that I found the opposite at the weekend there, everything was too dry, esp anything we got from Noon. The Mellow Yellow Cheese was well cured as was some NYCD we got, but the rest were all overly dry IMO.

I also had the same thing with strengths though I put that down to the increased quality of local produce meaning that I didn't get such a "wow" effect on this, or my last visit. Local produce here has went from kak soapbar to bubblegum/orangebud etc so perhaps my tolerance levels are up a tad.

We still enjoyed the visit though, as we always do ;)

Dave J
power poster
power poster

Postby Dave J » Thu May 15, 12:16 pm

By the way, whats it like in Hill Street Blues now they no longer sell alcohol in there?. This used to be my faverate coffeeshop as I loved the place having a cheap beer (bottled Domelsch) with my smoke at the back over looking the Damrak!.

Rks0
just in
just in

Postby Rks0 » Thu May 15, 10:01 pm

I only went into the one on warmoesstraat once, and stopped for an hour or so. It seemed fine, but then I'm not a big drinker, especially in Amsterdam where i tend to stick to smoking.
I went into the on the Nieuwmarkt more as I was staying in an apartment nearby. The weather was great and they have outdoor seating, so that was just dandy with me!

markcheech
power poster
power poster

Postby markcheech » Thu May 15, 11:35 pm

theguest wrote:
markcheech wrote:there is no cure process. they grow, dry and sell.

Yes. I noticed this too on my last trip. Hardly anything would grind into pieces in my metal grinder with sharp teeth. Nearly all the weed just got trapped on the teeth instead. I would say 90% of the weed was like this.

Next time I'm sticking to hash.

Great report btw! You sure smoked a lot! How did you remember them all!?

i've had the same problem with my grinder too. all the weed was stuck in clumps. what works for me, when i first get into town, i'll buy up about 200 euro of different strains and leave the bags open in my apartment for a day or so in a dark closet while smoking hash non stop. in a few days it's dry enough to grind and smoke. every day i have to do this cept for the last day. i buy enough for 2 days away and leave the bags open to dry

theguest
super power poster
super power poster

Postby theguest » Fri May 16, 7:46 am

hey nice tip, i shoulda tried that.

Dave J
power poster
power poster

Postby Dave J » Fri May 16, 9:00 am

Might sound a silly suggestion on the undried weed front. But is it simply not possable to microwave the weed for say 5 or 10 seconds at a time ?.

I've seen it done with tobbacco which is why the idea came to mind for the weed!.

hank
power poster
power poster

Postby hank » Thu May 22, 4:23 pm

That's a pretty good weed budget! I like Popeyes also, they had a great breakfast last oct, was handy for the internet use. That was a good report I'll be checking out the smoke in july.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”