Trip report 2003, Part II, The arrival of Otis from Utrecht.

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Trip report 2003, Part II, The arrival of Otis from Utrecht.

Postby Bohannon » Fri Oct 24, 6:00 pm

Days 3 and 4:
I was the first to arise followed not too much later by "Scotty" (name changed because permission not asked for, lol). We did a little W&B of Grey Mist crystals and headed down to Rosengracht for something to eat. We stopped in a little shop called "Broogies Mokum". We were the only non-locals there. We had a ham and cheese broogie and some great coffee. After fueling up I headed back to the house and Scotty went to the Ann Frank Huis that was only a block to the north. When I got back there were signs of life from Art and JL. We toked a bit and discussed plans for the day of which there actually were none. Otis was due to arrive from Utrecht. Sure enough a little after 13:00 I got a call from him wondering where we were. He had confused "Looiersgracht" and "Lauriergracht". I told him that he was only a few blocks away and gave him instructions. After what I considered an adequate amount of time I decided to go to the corner to await him. As soon as I got to Prinsengracht I saw him on the north (other) side of the gracht. I suspect a little wake 'n bake on his part as well, LOL. When we got in the house and made all introductions Otis pulled out what he called some "samples" of the wares of Utrecht. I will try to list all of our wares at the end of this report ... but while we were sitting around getting to know each other I decided that the occasion and the amount of gear we had required a special joint. I toasted a small quantity of tobacco in a frying pan per Viking's instructions". I deemed it ready when it attained an even dark reddish brown color and it pretty much stopped smoking. I must say that what Viking said was true; the tobacco thus toasted lost its harsh effects and most of its taste. I only used any tobacco at all because I intended this joint to be mostly hash. I used three Rizzla Blue's, as I didn't have any large skins (Take two and stick them together at an angle, trim the excess then take a third and stick it on the skinny end perpendicular to the two and trim it). I sprinkled a bit of tobacco down the length to the "filter". I started off at the fat end with some Grey Mist. The next 'layer" was Grey Mist crystals followed by golden sole, then red Lebanese and finally 420 skuff.
I sprinkled another small quantity of the toasted tobacco on the top so that the joint would burn evenly and rolled it up. A thing of beauty! We proceeded to fire it up and pass it around. I swear we were all getting rushes with every toke and the trip down the various layers was a delightful experience! Somehow it took us a while to get going after that. The plan was to get some food then tour the RLD, this time with an experienced guide in Mr. Otis. JL and Art requested Chinese food, anyplace that has ducks hanging in the window. I knew of just such a place and it was on the way to the RLD. We went to "The Golden Chopsticks" which is at the corner of Oude Dolenstraat (Damstraat) and Oude Zijds Voorburgwal. Once the ducks in the window were inspected to JL's satisfaction we entered. The meal was great, roast duck, bowls of shrimp balls, Singapore chow mei fun etc, etc. The cost was under 10€ per person. Fully fueled we began a stumble through the RLD. We sat outside at a coffeeshop on the OZV canal across from Rick's Cafe but I can't remember the name (help Otis). After touring most of the RLD including he skinny street and the covered area we sort of took up HQ at an outdoor table at a cafe ext to another coffeeshop that I can't remember right behind the Oude Kerk. Various members of our party wandered off from time to time; I have no idea where they went or what they did (wink wink nudge nudge, say no more). Otis took off to CS just prior to the last train back to Utrecht, with a promise to return the following Saturday. The boys and I headed back to the house. We took a tram from the Dam to Westermarkt this time as the dogs were barkin'.

Sunday morning we actually got going rather early (relatively speaking) as the last bus from the Van Gogh to the Kröller-Müller museum, a special shuttle in honor of Van Gogh's 150th anniversary, was at 13:30. We trammed to Museumplein and found out that we just needed to wait for the bus and buy our ticket from the driver. Lunch pangs fueled by our W&B sent us ½ block down Paullus Potterstraat to Van Baerlstraat and the eetcafe "Small Talk". I had been there on prior trips and liked both the food and the people watching. Pancakes and omelets were consumed and enjoyed immensely. When we were done we found the bus, bought our 10€ r/t tickets and headed off for a comfortable, digestive and contemplative one hour trip to Hoge Velewe near Otterloo and the KM. Did I mention that it was another beautiful day with lagoon blue skies and emerald grass? Well it was and it was perfect for strolling the grounds of the KM. I got a lot of nice photos of the outdoor sculptures for my website. This special occasion was highlighted by the rare display of many of Van Gogh's sketches. It was explained that they are rarely displayed as they are affected by light. I found it fascinating to see the preparatory work that Vincent did for many of his paintings that I love.
Our bus, the last one, left the KM at 17:30. When we arrived back at Paulus Potterstraat we trammed back to Leidseplein and stopped in Rokerij. We snagged a table and I proceeded to roll a dubie of Grey mist. We had beers, one of our party was asked to remove his hat. This is the only place that this happened. A guy at the next table who I think was Spanish or Italian was busy laboriously rolling a cone (I had quickly rolled a "standard" pure ganga joint for four). After we offered this fellow a toke he lectured me at length about how to roll joints and what kind of papers to use. I guess it seemed obvious to him that we were neophyte smokers, LOL. This was the second time that I had been in this place and frankly I do not see the attraction. I noticed that they had moved the dealer's cage but I still found the incense to be irritating.
Joint smoked we quickly departed aiming to assuage our severe munchies. A few doors from the Rookies we noticed an "All you can eat in an hour" Chinese dim sum place for 7.5€. It was great! They had all kinds of Chinese food and dim sum, we consumed mass quantities and repaired via Marnixstraat to Elandsgracht, stopping at the AH on Johnny Jordanplein on the way to our canal huis.

Next: Monday Channelite meeting.

Dogbreath
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Dogbreath » Fri Oct 24, 6:39 pm

Nice one Bo. I enjoy reading of your adventures.

Makes me dwell on my own upcoming pilgrimage to mecca and burning a dubie as I write my own travelogues.

Keep 'em coming!

:-) Dogbreath

WreckLoose
power poster
power poster

Postby WreckLoose » Fri Oct 24, 11:26 pm

I think the coffeehouse across from the Rick's is the Greenhouse. I agree with you on the Rockerij. I usually go in there for their excellent product. Too bad they moved their dealer cage to the back. Was easier to get to closer to the door.

Great reports!

Otis
super power poster
super power poster
Location: Recovering from years of racing sailboats on SF Bay

Postby Otis » Sat Oct 25, 7:25 am

WreckLoose wrote:I think the coffeehouse across from the Rick's is the Greenhouse. I agree with you on the Rockerij. I usually go in there for their excellent product. Too bad they moved their dealer cage to the back. Was easier to get to closer to the door.

Great reports!

Yes, it was the Greenhouse. I bought some gear there: A5 (A7)? and it was fun to sit outside and smoke and watch people stumble by. Remember me going into that outside urinior just before we left? It was rank, really ripe and had liquid on the floor spilling all over. It was pretty gross. I haven't forgotten that!

Otis

moe.
super power poster
super power poster

Postby moe. » Sat Oct 25, 4:45 pm

Sounds like a blast, sure wish I'd been there. Was the one by Oude Kerk the Old Church coffeeshop? I have to start planning my next trip over, these reports are starting to get to me. I hope to be there the 2nd half of April.

moe.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Sat Oct 25, 7:20 pm

I'm pretty sure that was it. Otis?
Pax

Otis
super power poster
super power poster
Location: Recovering from years of racing sailboats on SF Bay

Postby Otis » Sat Oct 25, 7:46 pm

BOhannon wrote:I'm pretty sure that was it. Otis?
Pax

Yes, I'm pretty sure that is it. But we actually used the chairs and table of the snack shop directly next to it, because they had more comfy chairs, to be real correct. Still, a great place to sit and make a lap when boredom strikes.

Otis

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Another Great Read BO.

Postby LastHamlet » Sun Oct 26, 3:36 am

So, the toasted tobacco joints Viking suggested were great, cool... (Put that on the list.)
The chairs did look more comfortable at the place next door Otis, wished I had thought to move over...
Yet another wonderful 'smokin' adventure. Nice read BO...
BTW, Maybe they had to wander off to use the toilet, or roll a joint,,, (wink, wink.)

patrick

Postby patrick » Fri Oct 31, 2:34 pm

very happy you had such a good trip, i enjoyed reading the reports and in a tribute to you, i reserved my 1000th post for this reply.

Bear
power poster
power poster

Glad...

Postby Bear » Wed Nov 05, 3:09 pm

Glad to hear you are having a great time and the weather is cooperating!

You know what I wish I had? I would like to see a map of the outdoor urinal locations in the Dam. Is anyone anal retentive enough and
got enuf time to create such a thing?

Bon Bon Billy
super poster
super poster

Postby Bon Bon Billy » Sun Nov 09, 2:26 pm

Nice report BOhannon. I'm getting geared for my trip (26 days and counting down now) by reading some trip reports. Yours really helped get me daydreaming. I think I'll go upstairs and do some packing.

Old Hippie Dave
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Old Hippie Dave » Fri Dec 23, 5:09 pm

youare a Geaneeious

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”