Christiania - Short Visit

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Weldon
super power poster
super power poster

Christiania - Short Visit

Postby Weldon » Sun Mar 23, 10:28 am

It was pretty cold last night when we went. Scored without a problem but finding a comfortable place to smoke it was. They don't allow it in the cafes anymore. We tried the Moonfisher but they had signs up. The Woodstock looked a bit rowdy. I asked one of the vendors but he played that "strictly illegal" game with me while he had bongs, pipes and various other paraphenalia on sale.

We tried to smoke some outside but it was cold and the lighter wouldn't stay lit long enough to ignite. We eventually got it going but I didn't feel much because we were fighting the cold, being furtive, hiding in the shadows. I smelled it but didn't see anyone actually smoking.

Christiania reminds me a lot of Bolinas, a community back home that keeps taking the sign down from the road that points the way into town. They, too, are glad if you come in and spend your money (cash only please) on anything they got, as long as you don't forget to leave. In Christiania, There were places to smoke but it was for community people only. And without meeting up with a "regular", you're kind of on your own.

At first it sort of pissed me off. But when I thought of it, it made sense that they want to preserve this slice of permissiveness for themselves without it turning into the same kind of circus Amsterdam is. I guess things got out of hand when it got too open and hard drugs were being sold, which would have brought public disorderliness, crime, etc. Now they just want to preserve what they have; a cultural/artistic community of free thinkers.

The real reason for preventing photography of any kind is to keep "the word" from getting out about the place that would start to draw multitudes of tourists. Accordingly, I have no pictures from there. Would have been hard to take shots anyway because it was dark and there is not a lot of street lighting. It's too bad because there are murals everywhere and nice views during the day. Too bad we're not there now. It's a sunny Easter morning in Copenhagen.

We saw the Christiania Athletic Club. I almost wanted to go in there and ask for Viking. Had to dodge a lot of puddles. We spent a bunch of time in the Moonfisher anyway, playing chess. Lots of paraphernalia for sale in caravans.

In July the city council votes to see whether they will continue to condone Christiania in it's current form. People in C. seem wary of the conservative government and take it all pretty seriously. I never did see any cops. But it was dark and hard to see everyone. I look pretty coppy these days. We may hit the place again on Wednesday if we're not dragging it too badly.

1g. super super Maroc hasj: 100DK = $20.83 (bought off guy in the st.)
1 1.5 litre bottle Diet Coke: 72DK = $15.00 (bought at train sta. store)
Last edited by Weldon on Sun Mar 30, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Weldon
super power poster
super power poster

Christiania Update

Postby Weldon » Wed Mar 26, 1:05 am

I ran into a person tonight that said they scored and smoked it up in The Moonfisher in mid January. So here it is a little better than two months later and it's now Verboten. We may make it back for a quick look tomorrow. Depends on time, trains, etc.

patrick

Postby patrick » Wed Mar 26, 4:47 pm

thank you for taking the time to post reports. very interesting.

Weldon
super power poster
super power poster

Slight Return

Postby Weldon » Wed Mar 26, 10:18 pm

We made it back like I said. It was just as annoyingly cold as it was the other time and things were the same. No smoking in the Moonfisher...HOWEVER, this would apply more to the smoker (American) who puts the hasj in the bowl and fires it up as well as the same individual that would roll a pre pot joint. Those are obvious. But if you smoke it the way a lot of Europeans do, then there it at least appears you are smoking a modified cig. I saved it for later, for last.

Because we got there during daylight, things seemed more festive and lively. People all over the place but not crowded. Felafels for 15DK, or about $3.50, even with the falling dollar. The gear was the best deal of the trip; 1.3g of SSMaroc (or so she said) for 100DK.

So, thanks Bo, for trying to help with the arrangements but you and the other parties would be fine here. I'd have to find a cranny.

Weldon
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Weldon » Fri Mar 28, 9:21 pm

As an addendum to our second visit to the Moonfisher: It had been explained to me that the authorities could't take cigarettes out of people's hands, take them apart and examine them. Well, they could, but would they go that far?

Kate and I were sitting at a table with our coffees watching all the other people smoking their cones when a definate whiff of hasj came our way. I looked around and didn't see a pipe but the guy behind us had his hands covering something. I was thinking maybe I'd give it a shot with my pipe but one of the Moonfisher guys came over and told him his joint or whatever was too strong.

And that was it...he must have put over 1/2 a gram into his cone and it was really non-tobaccologically odiferous. He was not sneaking a pipe.

There's an old saying that goes: Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope. That couldn't be better applied than to a place like Copenhagen. The 1.3g of super super Maroc that last time cost about $22. This in a place where it costs over $5 to get on the bus and a 1.5 liter bottle of diet coke is over $6 from the 7/11 (that's right, 7/11 is big out there and they are more like mini Danish gourmet shops that convenience stores as Americans know them).

So it's relatively inexpensive and easy to obtain gear. All you need after that is a nice warm place to do it. If you live there, great. But if you don't (tourists), that may be the rub. Our room was a smoking room. It was very fresh and did not have that overpowering odor of tobacco and antiseptic. However, it was the equivalence of $133 a night without shower. That would have cost $40 extra.

But in the end, I'm glad I had a reason to come to Copenhagen and see Christiana. Because of the expense and circumstances, I don't think I would have done it out of the blue. Copenhagen is an old, historical seaport capitol and has trappings of royalty, history and modernity. At first I thought it was kind of a drab city, but it definately has its vibrant side and the people are friendly.

Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: Christiania - Short Visit

Postby Generous_J » Mon Jul 14, 4:11 pm

Weldon wrote:1g. super super Maroc hasj: 100DK = $20.83 (bought off guy in the st.)
1 1.5 litre bottle Diet Coke: 72DK = $15.00 (bought at train sta. store)

Man! Those bastards ripped you right off!

Weldon
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Weldon » Mon Jul 14, 7:41 pm

Yeah, bastids...my fault...should have been paying better attention to what I was handing over.

July 1 was supposed to be a red letter day in terms of whether the free exchange of cannibus was going to continue.

Any news, anyone??

Chili Ed
super poster
super poster

Postby Chili Ed » Tue Jul 15, 5:14 am

Nice report Weldon. It brought back memories of my trip about 10 years ago. They had wooden stands all over with people selling hash and weed openly. It was an experience.

Thanks for sharing.

Chili

PurpleHaze
power poster
power poster

Postby PurpleHaze » Wed Sep 03, 5:17 pm

Hallelujah, Christiania here we come! Viking and I will start our mind-bending tokin' expedition to this Danish Freetown this Saturday. Smoke signal will be sent in every directions for you Channelites he he…

PurpleHaze

PurpleHaze
power poster
power poster

Postby PurpleHaze » Wed Sep 03, 5:38 pm

I was in Christiania last month, and didn't have any problems smoking my hash at the outdoors cafes. Of course you can be hassled by the police if you're really unlucky and the pigs feel like doing a raid through Freetown, but just keep your ears on alert for someone shouting "ost". It's a local slang for the police and actually means cheese.

I can understand that it ruins the ambiance a little when smoking outside in wintery conditions. But hey, most places in Europe have now banned smoking (tobacco) indoors in public places like cafes, bars etc.

Viking has a good friend living in Christiania, so for us there won't be problems lighting up our J's in one of the private clubs. Most of the times I've visited Christiania I have found the hashes there as good, if not better, than some of the best ones commercially sold in Holland, and it's often less expensive as well. But Holland has better variety. Especially when it comes to weed, since most Scandinavians prefers hash over weed.

viking
super power poster
super power poster

Postby viking » Wed Sep 03, 8:10 pm

Nice report, Weldon.
Sorry I didn't reply to it sooner.

Yes, PurpleHaze and I will be in Christiania together
in just 3 days from now, on 6 Sept 2008.
We've both been there on our own, but this time
we'll be smoking up a storm there together.

I've been visiting Christiania since 1996.
Every year for the past 7 or 8. Or longer.
And it has changed a lot in the past few years,
as Weldon pointed out. I'm very lucky to have friends
there who I hang out with the whole time.

If you make some friends in Christiania, you'll see a whole
other side to the place. Like inside their homes, which can
look like a graffiti-covered barracks outside, and Danish
Architectural Digest inside. Or be taken to a football match
with a team from Christiania Sports Club, rolling and toking
on the sidelines, cheering them on. Or buy great hash for less than
tourists do:)

Bevar Christiania!

a bollocks
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: Not A'dam dam'it..... a traveler, a heart, no woot for you.

Postby a bollocks » Sat Sep 06, 6:25 am

nice stuff!

it's no IL Bonliacci tho LMAO!

oh and Purple, if you see that-ass Norsker, DamOften, tell him he's a doof.... for me.

and I miss him... and his drinking ability.

Weldon
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Weldon » Sat Sep 06, 6:50 pm

Hey - Hope you're having a great time. Getting to be sunset right about now in Christiania. Where were you for it? :^)

The most reasonable expense of my week in Scandinavia was the hasj. $20 bought over a gram of quality stuff. Unfortunately, I missed the free and easy feel of it as seen in previous years. Was thinking of you, Viking, while I was there.

When I was there, it was around 4.8 Danish crowns to the $$; now it's about 5.2; extra 8%; a free bowl or two from before.

I'm curious as to how their referendum/city council decision went on July 1. Not much news. Did things relax or is it only a matter of time?

W

boneymaroni
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby boneymaroni » Sat Sep 06, 7:25 pm

Christiania is apparently now the 'center of the world'...interesting read about the Amsterdam Balloon Company

http://www.christiania.org/inc/pdf/08/r ... rd_eng.pdf

Cheech and I did a roadie there last year from Amsterdam...sweet

Still amazed at how close those guys come to weighing out hash by biting it off a plug...

Dazzler
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Dazzler » Sat Sep 06, 9:18 pm

Hypocritical stoner exclusivity. Don't you love it?

boneymaroni
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby boneymaroni » Sun Sep 07, 1:52 am

The link clearly stated that 'everyone is invited'.....

You seem bitter Dazzler...have you been "excluded" from something....something that made ya cry?

Give these hippies a break....aint many left...from the greatest rock and roll band evuh.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwUcupyhe3U

a bollocks
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: Not A'dam dam'it..... a traveler, a heart, no woot for you.

Postby a bollocks » Mon Sep 08, 5:10 am

boneymaroni wrote:The link clearly stated that 'everyone is invited'.....

You seem bitter Dazzler...have you been "excluded" from something....something that made ya cry?

Give these hippies a break....aint many left...from the greatest rock and roll band evuh.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwUcupyhe3U

Quadraphrenia was the best album ever.

Petey got some kicks off there.
Eddie likes him.

sold.

buy.

Weldon
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Weldon » Wed Sep 17, 12:06 am

How was your trip to Christiania...over,

viking
super power poster
super power poster

Postby viking » Thu Sep 18, 12:23 pm

Weldon wrote:How was your trip to Christiania...over,

I'll start a new thread about it now.

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby LastHamlet » Wed Nov 19, 2:59 pm

Nice report and thread Weldon!
It was good to get such a refreshing read, as I have not read trips reports for some time now, As I can see I have missed a lot...
Got a lot of reading to do.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”