February Trip - Day 1

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Trainwreck
just in
just in

February Trip - Day 1

Postby Trainwreck » Mon Mar 03, 1:22 am

(Apologies in advance, the report will get a lot hazier as my note taking dwindled throughout the day to the point of becoming non existent)

Trip Report
12th Feb 2008
Day 1 of 2

My alarm sounded at 4am on the dot and at 4:00:01am I had sprung out of my bed and into the shower. What a contrast this was to the slow, painful weekday mornings when I drag myself into work. This was so much different, it was 3 hours earlier for one thing, and I felt absolutely wide awake. I was going to Amsterdam.

My taxi arrived at 5am and I was off on the 10 minute journey to Liverpool John Lennon airport. No long queues at check in for me (one of the few advantages of a short stay- no bag to check in), so I went straight through security without a hitch. Bought a newspaper, a bottle of water. Headed over to the other side of the departure lounge and bought a coffee. No sooner than I had the first sip the announcement came over the speakers. My flight was boarding. £3 wasted on a coffee but of course I didn’t give too much of a shit. I would just have to wait for my caffeine fix.

I power walked (maybe I ran? I don’t know) to the gate and got in the queue. The flight was jam packed and I am always struck by what an interesting mix of people take this flight from Liverpool to Amsterdam. Business men, middle aged women, stag parties, couples, and of course, stoners made up the queue.

The flight was uneventful: departed at 6.15am and at 7.35am (or 8.35 Dutch time) we were landed in Amsterdam. Shot straight through passport control, and then merrily past the baggage belts to the ticket machines. This being my 5th visit, I know the routine well enough by now. Enkele reis to centraal, down to the platform, board the waiting train and I was away. Spoke to a very nice middle aged man on the train who had just been at the airport to drop his friend off (he was staying for a while longer), he told me that the weather had been beautiful and recommended the Vondel park. For some reason, unbeknownst to me I acted like I had never been before, and I assured him that I would check it out. I suppose I didn’t want to seem ungracious by telling him that I’d seen and done it before.

In a flash I was at centraal and I was conscious that time was moving faster than it should. It was 9am on the dot as I strolled out the front doors of Centraal station, (not before picking up my strippenkaart). It was a beautiful morning, so I had to take a picture.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/8998 ... 102pr7.jpg

I was staying at the Hotel Multatuli, on the Prins Henrikaade so I strolled across the road just so that I could make sure where it was. Hotel located and I was away. The city was my oyster.

First job was to pick up all the necessary gear. Papers, lighter, grinder were bought from the first souvenir shop that I came across on the Damrak, then I started on the brief walk down the Harleemerstraat to my intended destination. The Pink Floyd.

Sailed into Pink Floyd at about 9.15am. It was quite busy for a Tuesday morning, there were 2 tables free and the upstairs was sealed off for some reason. I took a long look at the menu to decide on that all important first smoke. I settled on a gram of the NYC Diesel (E8.50) and a gram of Rifman Dunya (E9). Grabbed a white coffee from the bar and took a seat at the back of the shop. I pocketed the Rifman for later and rolled up a 1g joint of the NYC. The flavour was (as always with the NYCD) fantastic and it gave a lovely head high. (As nice as it was, it would be hard pushed to beat the unbefuckinlievable batch of NYCD the nes had a couple of years ago) Anyway, I slowly drained 2 coffees as I smoked the joint and sat back reading the newspaper that I had previously been too excited to read. The NYCD was the perfect first Amsterdam smoke and I was ready to rediscover the city.

I walked, and I walked, and I walked. I went straight up the Singel until I reached the Muntplein. Still with an insatiable desire to keep walking I headed straight down the Vijelstraat. I dropped into Mellow Yellow with the intention of picking up some Cheese and leaving. I took a look at the Cheese which was dusty and on it’s last legs. The blueberry on the other hand was juicy and sweet smelling so I picked up a gram. (A bargain at E7.50/g) It was at that point that I noticed the outrageous funky jazz playing on the sound system. So I stayed and I smoked the Blueberry with the Rifman Dunya. And then another gram of Blueberry for good measure.

I stumbled out of Mellow Yellow, dazed and confused, and back up towards the Muntplein. The beautiful Amsterdam morning crept into my senses again and I felt invigorated for about the tenth time that morning. I took another picture.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/3186 ... 103gq6.jpg

I headed into the Rokerij which was empty, not a person in there. I walked up to the bar and asked the man, very politely, for a white coffee. I was told, very rudely, that he was the budtender and did not serve drinks. The girl who served drinks was in the toilet. I would have to wait. So, for 5 minutes I stood at the bar, as the budtender read his newspaper. 5 minutes waiting for the girl to come out of the toilet. Looking back, I really should have just left but I find it difficult to be rude to people even when they are rude to me. I don’t know why.

Anyway, the girl appeared eventually and I was served my white coffee. Because my weed supply was low I headed down the steps to the dealers counter and purchased a gram of NL x5 Haze. I hate to reward bad service, but I just had to have a gram of this. It looked delicious, so much so that this is the note I made. ( I didn’t want to forget)

“NL 5x Haze: Lovely lovely sativa. Lovely mmm�

So.. Onwards and upwards. I jumped onto whichever tram it was that took me to the Waterlooplein. This is an area I was quite familiar with, having stayed in the Ibis Stopera hotel on a few of my previous visits. I headed straight for what is one of my favourite coffeeshops in Amsterdam; the Bluebird. BUT just as I got there, an alarm went off in my head and my legs took me in another direction. They were taking me to Stix, and the alarm was telling me that I was in the vicinity of Gunpowder.

“Do you have any Gunpowder please?� “Yes we do!� “Still 12.50 a gram?� “Yes it is!� “Superb. 2 grams please�.

And with that I headed back to Bluebird and up the steep, almost vertical steps. The shop was packed, but as usual I managed to find a nice spot by the window. Flicking through the book I noticed that they had the Blue Cheese. Prices and weights I cannot remember but I bought a bag, I rolled it up with the gunpowder and smoked it in 2 nice joints, washed down with a few Loozas. This Blue Cheese is serious stuff, I was sat in the Bluebird for a good hour just drinking juice and reading my newspaper. Every so often I would look up and out of the window at the typically dutch buildings opposite and smile contentedly to myself. I was in Amsterdam and I didn’t want to let the fact escape me, so I reminded myself of it as often as possible.

By this time it was about 2pm in the afternoon so I headed back over to the Waterlooplein tram stop and subsequently back over to Dam square. A brief stroll took me over to Grey Area. John was serving today and was in a great mood. From reading the reports on this site I had been led to believe that the Chocolope was not in stock at the Grey Area, but to my pleasant surprise it was heading up the menu along with a limited amount of Sour Diesel. So I bought a gram of each and headed round the corner to Amnesia.

The Chocolope was the object of my attentions for the next half an hour, as I rolled it up into a nice cone. It smelt so sweet and the smoke was thick and pungent. One of the best smokes of this trip for certain. I was ready to go almost as soon as I’d finished the joint. I headed back towards Dam square and realised that I hadn’t actually eaten anything today. A quick tram back towards the Muntplein took me to Maoz falafel. There couldn’t possible be any place better for a vegetarian to eat in Amsterdam. (If there is, let me know!)

I had lost track of time at this point, and as I walked past the Pathe de Munt cinema, I was drawn inside. It felt almost criminal spending any of my precious AMS time in a cinema. But I was toasted in the extreme and the thought of sitting in a dark room for 90 mins was strangely appealing. I bought a ticket to Cloverfield, but it wasn’t starting for an hour so I took the opportunity to head to the Dampking.
It was as busy as you would expect in there but I managed to find a seat at the bar after ordering a gram of the Mako Haze (recommended by these boards) and a white coffee. The mako haze was really outstanding. Another fine, fine saliva and set me up perfectly for the film.

Cloverfield was enjoyable in a Godzilla meets Blair Witch project kind of way.

I headed out of the cinema and back down to dam square. It was about 6pm at this point so I thought I would head into the RLD. My first stop was Hunters. I bought a gram of Big Buddha Cheese and took a seat on a table next to an older American gentleman with some stories to tell. He was a Viatnam vet and it turned out he was on holiday with his wife, who had agreed to let him smoke all day if she could shop all day. I expressed my hope of finding a similar sort of arrangement with a woman in the future. I shot the breeze with this very well travelled man for a couple of hours as he followed me on to the Coin and shared his hash with me. He eventually had to leave because he was meeting his wife. Just another one of those chance meetings that happen so often in this city. Following this encounter I proceeded solo to Hill Street Blues, Greenhouse Effect, Stones and Sheeba (not in that order). I can’t remember what I smoked but there was a lot of it, I also guzzled coffee like it was going out of fashion.

Heading out of the dense glow of the RLD (it must have been at least 10pm by now) I went to check into my hotel. My feet were killing me at this point as I had walked for miles and miles. They were threatening to be consumed by two giant blisters. The pain was getting bad and so I thought I should probably call it a night, as much as I would have liked to stay out a bit longer.
I dutifully checked into the hotel and trudged up to my room, taking a nice hot shower which made me feel nicely refreshed .

I sat on my hotel bed and flicked through the channels. South Park was just starting so I left it on. I had the leftovers of a days smoking with me and so I decided something special was in order, to celebrate my first day back in Amsterdam. I gathered together the remnants of some 7 or 8 bags and ground it all up. A dutch tulip (held together by an old hair pin) was the outcome.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/6276 ... 112vw6.jpg

I got to the end of South Park (just).
I passed out.
Last edited by Trainwreck on Mon Mar 03, 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Boner
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Boner » Mon Mar 03, 1:52 am

Nice report and nice pictures.

sidhe333
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby sidhe333 » Mon Mar 03, 3:22 am

i hate it when time speeds up while on holiday...
swell reporting!

s:.

Bollo
regular
regular

Postby Bollo » Mon Mar 03, 5:27 am

Really good read, nice work!

Chili Ed
super poster
super poster

Postby Chili Ed » Mon Mar 03, 7:59 am

Excellent report Trainwreck.

We need to hear more from you. I like your style. I walk for miles as well and Bluebird happens to be my favorite Coffeeshop too.

I'll be in town next week and I'll refer to your report for some excellent gear.

I have not tried the Chocolope yet. I will definately give it a try. It's nice to hear that Blue Cheese is back in stock. I'll load up on it.

Thanks for the great report.

Chili

smoker_moby
power poster
power poster

great report

Postby smoker_moby » Mon Mar 03, 2:36 pm

Hey trainwreck great reporting dude good to see some useful information on the channels for a change, there are still some good channelites out there!!!!
did by anychance in grey area did they have any lemon skunk on the menu???

once again a great read!Looking forward to day 2

bigblunt
super poster
super poster

Re: great report

Postby bigblunt » Mon Mar 03, 2:55 pm

smoker_moby wrote:Hey trainwreck great reporting dude good to see some useful information on the channels for a change, there are still some good channelites out there!!!!
did by anychance in grey area did they have any lemon skunk on the menu???

once again a great read!Looking forward to day 2
I was recently in Amsterdam and was very disappointed at the quality of the chocolope.But the Lemon skunk and j-one were both top notch.And it is a bit pricey but I highly recommend the Grey ice crystals.It makes a bad quality weed very good and it takes a high quality weed to a level I had never experienced.I also had the blue cheese from bluebird and found it to be a very low quality batch.The gunpowder from Stix is potent and the Temple ball was the second best hash of my trip but I highly suggest that who ever is going soon to try the N.Y Diesel from Barney's lounge.This smoke was the best I have ever seen.

burn001down
power poster
power poster

Postby burn001down » Mon Mar 03, 3:56 pm

Great report and excellent pictures! I want to be there instead of here at work. BTW, looks like you've purchased/smoked some tasty treats.

Sir Ian of Tokesville
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Sir Ian of Tokesville » Mon Mar 03, 10:53 pm

Superb !

hank
power poster
power poster

Postby hank » Tue Mar 04, 4:30 am

Trainwreck, nice report made my day, thanks a lot.

Redforlife
regular
regular

Postby Redforlife » Tue Mar 04, 1:52 pm

I was at the same Hotel in September. Nice and clean, but smoking in there is at best, dodgy! Although sometimes you can smell it, they o make a point in their literature that drugs are not tolerated.

Little tip, they show dirty films, you press the green button to 'activate' them. Well don't, scan the channels manually and they're there.

[/blush]

Trainwreck
just in
just in

Postby Trainwreck » Tue Mar 04, 8:15 pm

Thanks for all the positive feedback fellas. It's very much appreciated.
Hopefully I'll get round to writing part 2 but it probably won't be until the weekend because things are very hectic at the moment.

I had no problems smoking at the hotel multatuli by the way, I even got some papers from the guy at reception after I'd lost mine. I did notice the no drugs notice but I didn't pay much attention to it and neither did the staff it would seem. Whoever cleaned my room put all my smoking stuff together in a nice little pile, which was nice of them. :D

27guldens
super poster
super poster

Postby 27guldens » Tue Mar 04, 10:23 pm

Si, si, muchas gracias for your report.

MikeFromTx
super power poster
super power poster

Postby MikeFromTx » Wed Mar 05, 3:49 pm

Great report! 6 more months until my month long stay in the DAM!

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”