Prague in September 2007

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

Prague in September 2007

Postby uk*bag*lady » Fri Feb 08, 1:06 pm

After my last lone visit to Amsterdam in September 2006 I came to a terrible conclusion: I had been bored. Maybe it was just that for once I didn't spend much time with my friends or maybe I had just done it all before, I don't know. But I decided I needed to try somewhere new. So I plumped for Prague. It looked very interesting, easy (for me) to get to but different, so different to Amsterdam

I found what looked to be a good and quite newhotel in Hradcany just a short walk from thecastle and many other of the top tourist attractions in that area of the city

One of my first tasks was to buy a seven day tram pass as it was clearly going to be no problem to walk down into the city but would be quite a long way back uphill to the hotel every evening!

I spent a couple of days seeing all the touristy things like the Charles Bridge and the Loreta Church which was literally next door to my hotel.

I loved the views of the red tiled Prague rooftops especially when seen from the top of tower on Petrin Hill reached by the funicular railway which is a fun way to travel!

I had some great meals, simple and cheap and very filling. Imagine my surprise when I ordered potato soup in bread to that's exactly what I got! And the beer wasn't bad either!

There were things that reminded me of Amsterdam but of course most things were unique to Prague such as the quirky architecture and moving sculptures that I saw

I went to visit the former ghetto and transit camp at Terezin and found that a very moving experience

There is a lot of Jewish history in Prague as well as Amsterdam so I found that very interesting too

I was a little disappointed with the shopping and bought very little but that didn't really matter: shopping was not the purpose of the trip after all!

When I returned and people asked if I'd enjoyed it I told them yes but I don't think I'll want to return. But since being back I've read even more about what I saw (and about what I missed seeing through lack of research) and I've changed my mind. I do want to go back. I do want to learn more about this city.

Sorry this is just a short report. Sorry there's no mention of weed or coffee shops. But for me that was the whole point: it isn't Amsterdam, it's different. It's Prague and one day I hope to go back and explore it even more

:-)

nellie
super power poster
super power poster

Postby nellie » Fri Feb 08, 1:10 pm

Great trip reportbut, tell me What was the problem with the shopping?

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby uk*bag*lady » Fri Feb 08, 1:17 pm

nellie wrote:Great trip reportbut, tell me What was the problem with the shopping?

Well I was on the lookout for handbags/purses but they seemed to be either out of my price range or market stall standard in the shops. And they were all the same! Every shop sold identical handbags, nothing at all individual about them. I didn't find any markets either though I'm sure it's not because there weren't any there. Except for this place called www.rivertownprague.cz which was just one big market full of fake bags/clothing etc

But this wouldn't stop me going back at all. Maybe if I ddi a little more research I would find more shops to my taste next time

Have you been then ? Did I get it wildly wrong?

nellie
super power poster
super power poster

Postby nellie » Fri Feb 08, 2:13 pm

I haven't been I was desperate to go 20 or 30 years ago but had no money and then when I could it seemed to be overfull with stags and hens. I would go for the museums but as you know I love shopping, mainly jewellry and hats

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby uk*bag*lady » Fri Feb 08, 3:39 pm

nellie wrote:I haven't been I was desperate to go 20 or 30 years ago but had no money and then when I could it seemed to be overfull with stags and hens. I would go for the museums but as you know I love shopping, mainly jewellry and hats

I was there for a week and saw no sign at all of any stag/hen weekenders. Now that could be because of the location of my hotel which was up on a hill and away from the nightlife areas

If it's jewellry you like , especially amber and garnets, then I don't think you'd be disappointed at all

I really do want to get back ; the critisism of the shopping would not put me off going back. And after that, maybe Budapest

I started a new website for the city if you want to have a browse, get some ideas!

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Fri Feb 08, 4:02 pm

Thanks UKBL, your trip report brough back memories of that city for me.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Fri Feb 08, 4:09 pm

Nice report UKBL. Here are my photos and comments from my trip in 2001. I too wish to return.

What were the beer prices like there? When I was there a local that I met was in a snit because all of the new tourists had driven the price of the great Czech pilsen beer up to the equivalent of €0.25 per glass! LOL.

Food, lodging and drink were elegant and inexpensive. I hope to return before the costy euro invades.

Peace

Thundarr
power poster
power poster

Postby Thundarr » Fri Feb 08, 4:12 pm

Nice, thanks for posting the pics. I'd like to go sometime.

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby uk*bag*lady » Fri Feb 08, 4:43 pm

BOhannon wrote:Nice report UKBL. Here are my photos and comments from my trip in 2001. I too wish to return.

What were the beer prices like there? When I was there a local that I met was in a snit because all of the new tourists had driven the price of the great Czech pilsen beer up to the equivalent of €0.25 per glass! LOL.

Food, lodging and drink were elegant and inexpensive. I hope to return before the costy euro invades.

Peace

Both food and beer prices were much cheaper than in Amsterdam. I got a three course meal for the price I might pay for a bowl of soup in a restaurant in the UK

Beer
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Beer » Fri Feb 08, 4:46 pm

uk*bag*lady wrote:
BOhannon wrote:Nice report UKBL. Here are my photos and comments from my trip in 2001. I too wish to return.

Peace
Both food and beer prices were much cheaper than in Amsterdam. I got a three course meal for the price I might pay for a bowl of soup in a restaurant in the UK

And mysteriously the locals are complaining about over inflated prices due to the tourist industry. Really.

Apparently 10 years ago it was as cheap as chips.

Anne
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Anne » Fri Feb 08, 6:06 pm

Nice report, UKBL. I too want to go back to Prague some time.

TrekknHil
super power poster
super power poster

Postby TrekknHil » Fri Feb 08, 6:35 pm

UK....I really admire the way you Boldly Go....you are an inspiration for us all :)

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby uk*bag*lady » Fri Feb 08, 7:56 pm

TrekknHil wrote:UK....I really admire the way you Boldly Go....you are an inspiration for us all :)

Well the feelings mutual Trek

I think you're one very adventurous lady when it comes to travel

Hope we manage to meet up one day!

DrTak
super power poster
super power poster

Postby DrTak » Sat Feb 09, 3:49 am

Nice report. I must get to Prague someday soon.

If not for weed and coffeeshops, I probably already would have.

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby uk*bag*lady » Sun Feb 10, 10:01 am

Beer wrote:And mysteriously the locals are complaining about over inflated prices due to the tourist industry. Really.

It still is.

For tourists anyway.

Hobie
super power poster
super power poster

Krasny cz

Postby Hobie » Mon Feb 11, 8:55 pm

uk*bag*lady wrote:
Beer wrote:And mysteriously the locals are complaining about over inflated prices due to the tourist industry. Really.

It still is.

For tourists anyway.

If You Go Less Than 1 hour outside Prague , Like Beroun , the city outside of Karlstjen , its 1/2 the price even yet

NewYork, New York
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: Krasny cz

Postby NewYork, New York » Mon Feb 11, 10:17 pm

Hobie wrote:
uk*bag*lady wrote:

It still is.

For tourists anyway.

If You Go Less Than 1 hour outside Prague , Like Beroun , the city outside of Karlstjen , its 1/2 the price even yet

If you go south of Prague, approx. 2-3 hours by bus you will find Czesky Krumlov (not sure of the spelling). Lovely medieval European town, buildings up to 1,000 years old. Not alot to buy, but beautiful architecture, cheap tasty food and an interesting sidetrip when in the Czech Republic.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”