A new trip report for ya!

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Bollo
regular
regular

A new trip report for ya!

Postby Bollo » Thu Jan 24, 6:48 am

Jan 12th-16th

Day 1

Left Dublin around half 2 and had a very smooth flight landing at Schipol to a fading sunlight over Amsterdam. Its such a great feeling upon landing, knowing what awaits me..nearly there, right get me on that train. On the way into the city we plan the evenings activities and most importantly what coffee shops to hit upon arrival. While discussing this with great excitement the dutch voice trapped in the little speaker informs us we are arriving at Centraal Station. Sweet! Lets do this thing.

I step out in front of Central Station and the crisp evening air brings a Cheshire smile to my face. Its good to be back.Nice to see the scaffolding has been removed from the station and back to looking like its old self again. First things last I make a beeline for Central CS. As I approach the shop the breeze carries my favorite aroma and my mouth begins to water as i open the door and am greeted by a smiling stoned dealer and the famous book of herbal delights.

As I had to check into my apartment within the hour i didn't fancy a smoke straight off, wanna deal with all that mess first with a straight head so i can really kick back with no worries. So my first purchase was 2 grams of Super Pollen for 12 euros, a nice smooth smoke to settle in. My mate chose a really good looking bag of Amnesia Haze, (think it was about 2.5 grams) for 25 euro and a small pipe for five yo-yos. Ok lets get to the apartment drop off the bags and get smoking!

Fortunately the apartment was a 5 min walk from Central CS a little way down Prins Hendrikkade. I have stayed here on my 3 previous visits and it’s now my home away from home. Got the keys, handed over the cash and even got a 20 euro discount for being such a good customer! Nice one. There’s 2 complimentary Heinekens in the fridge so we crack em open and start to roll. The Super Pollen doesn't disappoint, really nice flavor and a warm uplifting buzz. Its quickly decided that a visit to the Grey Area is first on the agenda so we take a leisurely stroll through Nieuwmarkt square and the RLD and on towards the Singel. The Grey Area is full as usual but that doesn’t bother me, I just came to score. The menu looks good and i go for 2 grams of Grey Berrry (16 euros) which is one of my favorites from this shop and a gram of Cannelope Haze for 11.50 I think.

Its time for food and we stop along Dam Straat at a decent looking Indonesian restaurant. Food was really tasty and much needed. The waitresses were also very pretty which was a bonus! Belly full its time for a smoke. Toked away on a Super Pollen joint I had rolled for the way and made our way back to Nieuwmarkt to get some necessities at Albert Heijn before it closes. Munchies in the bag we decide to head back to the apartment and make a dent in the gear we had just purchased. The rest of the evening was spent smoking and watching dvd’s. It was a great first day and a good feeling knowing I had another 3 days ahead of me. With that in mind I passed out around 2am very very stoned…

Day 2

I woke up a little dazed but happy, ahhhh what’s for fuckin breakfast!? Coffee and a big fat joint of Grey Berry. The perfect Sunday morning. The weather was thankfully decent wIth no rain in sight. After another joint or two we decided to head out for a little food. Went to ‘t loosje in Nieuwmarkt for some BLT toasties and a coffee. This is a really great place, a traditional brown bar i guess with a fine view across the square and has become must visit every time. The food hit the spot and it was time for another smoke and a stroll.

We made our way down Kloveniersburgwal and found some major road works in our way outside one of my favorite coffee shops, Basjoe! This really was an eye sore and spoiled one of the best views from any coffee shop window in town. Anyway on with the stroll. We decided on Rokerij in Leidseplein for a well deserved break and smoke. I was keen to try some Riffman hash which the Rokerij now stocked. I went for a gram of Jala which cost around 10 euro i think… This was a really nice light hash a really top Morrocan! Mmmm that was some tasty hash. I happily smoked the whole gram over a few coffees and we talked about the plan for the remainder of the day. I always enjoy spending time at the Rokerij and so far have had nothing but a good time there.

I was buzzing nicely after the smoke up at the Rokerij and a walk was in order to clear the head a little! Wandered around Museumplein for a while just enjoying being in Amsterdam again...that simple. The evening was rolling in along with ever grumbling stomachs...dinner time! As we were in the area Sunday dinner was had at Cafe de Klos on Kerk Straat. Treated myself to smoked ribs and a baked potato, washed down with a few icy brews. What a great meal, i seriously recommend this place to all you meat lovers out there!

We strolled up towards Dampkring for an evening smoke but it was jammed, never mind lets take a stroll up Heren Gracht to walk off the ribs. I love Amsterdam even more at night. The lights twinkle magically on the water and the city becomes even more beautiful. I lit up a spliff and meandered blissfully north. My mind recalled a Sandman story by Neil Gaiman which i read long ago. The tale spoke a city that dreams and a man who one day walked into the dream world of the city...i kinda felt like that guy for a while, it was the Amsterdam that i knew very well but i began noticing more and more new sights along the way...thats what good weed will do to ya! Don’t know what my point was...

On reaching the stunning Brouwers Gracht I wanted to visit Siberie coffee shop. I hadn’t been here before but new it had a decent reputation. I wasn't to be disappointed. Its a nice place with a good atmosphere and we enjoyed a few joints and a coffee. It was time to head towards home and pick up some more bits at the Albert Heijn in Nieuwmarkt. I also wanted to swing by Stix and pick up some Temple Ball. Grabbed a gram of sweet Nepalese goodness and walked back to the apartment to smoke the rest of the night away….

Day 3
Started the day with a few nice joints and a trip to ‘t loosje for a toasty. Over our coffee and breakfast I decided i wanted to explore an area that I was unfamiliar with which was the old south. Katsu was on my mind, must get to this shop for the first time and have a stroll through Albert Cuyp Market.

Smoked up something on the way cant remember what, maybe Amnesia Haze. The weather started to turn a little and a chill in the air made us take a rest in a little place opposite the Heineken brewery. It was called The Carrousel I think and it was a decent place to stop for some of the finest cakes known to man and a coffee. Suitably refueled we continued on our journey. The pace of life seemed to slow down noticeable as we edged ever nearer to Albert Cuyp Market. I really liked this part of town.
To be honest the market was a bit of a let down. Don’t know what i was really expecting but the stalls didn’t really have anything of interest, mostly hideous clothing and worthless nick-naks. There was a good vibe here all the same and the walk up the street was interesting none the less.

Now onto Katsu. Found this place easily no maps needed! The colorful exterior was enticing and we stepped inside. Nice decor and a welcoming female dealer. The menu looked decent and so did the prices. I got a gram of King Hassan and 2 grams of Orange Bud. Rolled up some of the hash and settled down with a coffee. Great smoke! Really nice buzz from this Moroccan and I soon had a contented smile fixed on my face. Cant believe its taken me so long to get to this shop, it will be top of the list on my next visit. I had a very relaxing hour of smoking here and on the way out i purchased some Super Polm, 1.5 grams for 10 euro...nice!

Time to walk. Not really one for spending huge amounts of time in one place so we went for a jaunt around Sarphatipark. This is a very pretty pocket of greenery which was very pleasant to spend some time in. I remember seeing some parrots in the trees, really fluorescent green in color which made me question my own mind...parrots in the park??

Time to head back to the centrum. We made our way north and stumbled upon Barneys Lounge. Haven't been here in a while so lets stop and top up the buzz. This is a cool little shop in a sleepy part of town. Its quite small inside with modern decor. We didn't buy anything here as we had just stocked up at Katsu. So we sat down with a coffee and i rolled a joint of the Super Polm I had just picked up. I was really enjoying my hash buzz this trip, and the Super Polm was top quality! Another joint and one rolled for the road it was time to keep moving.

The day was going very well and i had smoked some very fine hash, it was getting dark and food was our next priority. We walked though Museumplein and made a stop at Wagamama. I’m a big fan of all things Japanese so we stopped for a big feed and a beer. I was so full and a little sleepy after dinner and it was time to head back to the apartment to rest up for a while, did alot of walking that day! After a well deserved rest I had a walk out to Nieuwmarkt and picked up some beers at Albert Heijn for later. We had a walk through the RLD and on into Dam Square to soak up the Amsterdam evening with a cheeky joint along the way! The day was coming to an end and all i wanted to do was relax and smoke the days purchases back at the apartment. Thats how the rest of the night went, drinking some icy Heinekens and toking up all manor of smoky goodness! Absolutely annihilated I crashed out to the sound of Air on the laptop.Happy days.

Day 4
Woke up to rain pissing on the window, and a very gloomy grey sky. Not what I wanted to see at all. Fuck it I'm in Amsterdam, I have a plethora of fine cannabis on the table and nothing else to do but smoke...maybe today wont be so bad!

After the obligatory breakfast at ‘t loosje we braved the cold and rain and walked around for a bit with no real plan for the day. I guess the best thing about visiting Amsterdam quite often is that you don’t feel under pressure to get alot done in the day, as the chances are you have been to all the museums and stuff of that nature so its all good just to wander round and be happy that your in Amsterdam...know what I mean? So today was that kinda day, with rain well and truly in for the day we decided that a big smoking session back at the warm and dry apartment was the thing to do.
So on the way back we called into Bluebird to get some more pollen. I got 2 grams of super pollen for 8 euros which was a sweet deal. Smoke in hand we headed back home. So the rest of the day consisted of smoking all of the stash we had accumulated over the past few days and watching dvd’s. What a way to spend the day! I was completely baked and having a blast just chilling and laughing my tits off at anything and everything.

Later that night I was starting to feel a little sad as I knew i would be leaving the next day. I hate this part of the trip, it doesnt matter how many days you spend in this wonderful city you always wish you had that one extra night...I even thought of checking the flights to see if i could mange staying an extra day but it wasn’t to be...With a heavy heart I rolled up a super fat joint to make me feel better and get back to enjoying the rest of my time. The smoke did the trick and removed any melancholy from my now toasted mind! I thought back over the great few days i had experienced and gave into sleep.

Day 5

Departure Day

Got up early to clean up the apartment and have a smoke. We were out the door by 11am and decided to kill some time around Nieuwmarkt. The morning was sunny and the air crisp, could have done with this weather yesterday! Wandered into Hill St. Blues in Nieuwmarkt and I picked up some nice pollen to end the trip with. We stayed there for an hour or so and left with a good buzz on and ready for a walk. Time was against us and we moved sluggishly in the direction of Centraal Station. Our final coffee shop stop was Amnesia where we finished off the hash and toasted another fine trip!

Purperen
super poster
super poster

Re: A new trip report for ya!

Postby Purperen » Thu Jan 24, 2:36 pm

Nice trip report mate. I really enjoyed reading it.
Bollo wrote:I guess the best thing about visiting Amsterdam quite often is that you don’t feel under pressure to get alot done in the day, as the chances are you have been to all the museums and stuff of that nature so its all good just to wander round and be happy that your in Amsterdam...know what I mean?
I know exactly what you mean. I've been to Amsterdam dozens of times and visited all the major museums and cultural sights on previous trips. Just wandering the streets of Amsterdam is enough to make me very happy now.

TrekknHil
super power poster
super power poster

Postby TrekknHil » Thu Jan 24, 4:24 pm

Great report...thanks for sharing!

Weemanio
regular
regular

Postby Weemanio » Thu Jan 24, 6:53 pm

mate could you give me exact locations of the places you guys ate at? would love to try the ribs.

Boner
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Boner » Thu Jan 24, 7:06 pm

Weemanio wrote:mate could you give me exact locations of the places you guys ate at? would love to try the ribs.

Come out of Dolphins coffeeshop turn left go straight over Leidstraat and its on the left, the steak (tornedos) I had in December was pretty awesome and cooked to perfection.

Purperen
super poster
super poster

Postby Purperen » Fri Jan 25, 1:25 pm

I've never eaten at Cafe De Klos before but the more I've read about the place, the more I do want to eat there. The food, especially the ribs, has got nothing but praise in every review that I've read. I'm definitely going to eat there on my next trip in March.

27guldens
super poster
super poster

Postby 27guldens » Fri Jan 25, 5:01 pm

Thanks Bollo. Nice trip report

Mike
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Mike » Sun Jan 27, 8:05 pm

Very nice trip report....your good writing made it interesting.

PurpleHaze
power poster
power poster

Postby PurpleHaze » Mon Jan 28, 1:35 pm

Thanx for an exquisite report. I felt the urge for a new trip even though is only a couple of weeks since my last when reading your escapades around Mokum…

islandgurl
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby islandgurl » Mon Jan 28, 10:15 pm

Thank you for that report, Bollo. I can't believe I missed the King Hassan in November but there's always next time ;-)

boneymaroni
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby boneymaroni » Tue Jan 29, 5:10 am

great trip report....thanks

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby LastHamlet » Wed Jan 30, 12:08 am

Excellent read, and Many Thanks for posting.
From the Grey Area to the last smoke and toast, a nice adventure indeed!!!

nellie
super power poster
super power poster

Postby nellie » Wed Jan 30, 3:00 am

Purperen wrote:I've never eaten at Cafe De Klos before but the more I've read about the place, the more I do want to eat there. The food, especially the ribs, has got nothing but praise in every review that I've read. I'm definitely going to eat there on my next trip in March.

Go early or be prepared to queue. It is tiny just 3 tables and seats at the bar. Opens around 5pm.

Although all the meat is delicious I eat there a lot and love the mussel pan

Dink

Postby Dink » Thu Jan 31, 3:35 am

Boner wrote:
Weemanio wrote:mate could you give me exact locations of the places you guys ate at? would love to try the ribs.

Come out of Dolphins coffeeshop turn left go straight over Leidstraat and its on the left, the steak (tornedos) I had in December was pretty awesome and cooked to perfection.

You Northern Europeans are all alike. I need a report from a north American. Lol.

PurpleHaze
power poster
power poster

Postby PurpleHaze » Thu Jan 31, 10:28 am

Dink wrote:
Boner wrote:

You Northern Europeans are all alike. I need a report from a north American. Lol.

?

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby LastHamlet » Thu Jan 31, 2:27 pm

PurpleHaze wrote:
Dink wrote:
Boner wrote:

?

PH, I wondered about that also...

???

Bollo
regular
regular

Postby Bollo » Fri Feb 01, 2:15 am

thanks for all the kind words! cant believe the ribs stole the show!

Swin
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Swin » Mon Feb 04, 8:48 pm

Purperen wrote:I've never eaten at Cafe De Klos before but the more I've read about the place, the more I do want to eat there. The food, especially the ribs, has got nothing but praise in every review that I've read. I'm definitely going to eat there on my next trip in March.

The ribs are brilliant, the lamb shoulder amazing and the steaks awesome but the top meal has to be the whole pork tenderloinloin (varkensaas?) - absolutely superb!

I must get there earlier (with less trappist ales inside me perhaps) as I have never ever seen the mussel pan Nellie likes on the menu in 20 years I have been eating there - are you sure about that Nellie?

nellie
super power poster
super power poster

Postby nellie » Tue Feb 05, 6:05 am

My uncle has lived in Kerkstraat for over 20 years, I could fall out of bed and be at the bar in 2 seconds so I have probably eaten there at least 25 times or more. You must remember mussel pan is not on the menu every month only in season.

When it is most places have a banner they put outside.

Cafe de Klos has great mussels , huge domed pan and they will refill on request but no one has ever asked. My other favourite is the mixed grill.

Swin
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Swin » Tue Feb 05, 11:58 am

nellie wrote:My uncle has lived in Kerkstraat for over 20 years, I could fall out of bed and be at the bar in 2 seconds .

What a horrible thought! :-)

I must have been there out of season (for mussels) If I remember aren't mussels one of the 'when there's an R in the month' things?

(Never have that problem in Belgium.......)

punkindrublic.
new
new

Postby punkindrublic. » Wed Feb 13, 1:50 pm

Really nice trip report.
I'm going on Saturday for a week, so i'll get a nice long report up when i'm back!

SlyCrayon
super poster
super poster

Postby SlyCrayon » Tue Feb 19, 6:56 pm

A great trip report is always a blessing. Cheers, Bollo! It was almost like being there.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”