Bused in for a 12 hour visit....

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Sir Ian of Tokesville
super power poster
super power poster

Bused in for a 12 hour visit....

Postby Sir Ian of Tokesville » Sun Dec 02, 7:02 pm

As some will know I was in Amsterdam for a quick mid-week visit. How did I do it ?
Well I boarded a bus at London Vctoria coach Station, at 10pm on Tuesday night for an 11 hour via Eurotunnel drive.

The journey was unremarkable, although there was the normal 'heavy' customs at Folkestone UK to board the 'train under the sea'. At some point we all got to disembark at a stop in Belgium, then onwards to Groningham (sp?) then Utrecht and finally Amstel bus station 10am Wednesday.

Travelling light with just a small rucksack , some cheese and tomato sandwiches and a bottle of fruit drink, I'm up and off and 5 minutes later I am stretching my legs and filling my lungs, headed down the right side of the Amstel towards the Centrum.
Forty five minutes and I'm at Coffeeshop Bluebird ( have been going there for 20 years). I buy a gram of Parvati hash. Roll 3 joints and smoke 1. Fire up number 2 and head out of the door, smoke that one and one more on the 10 min walk to Fame music shop just off Dam Square.

I have come to Amsterdam to buy a Nitendo Wii for my son/s xmas present, as they are too illusive in the UK and command a high premium price where found. So into the shop up the stairs, me at the counter ..''Hi! do you have any Wii in stock ? Yes we do ! Great ! I will have one please''
Pay for it and out into the street and off to meet anne at Het Schuin for 11.30 am.
I'm on time, and so is she, have Wii, have hash, have time to stop and chat and so we do and it's all nice. Goodbyes time and off out and head to meet Tak and a bonus Holly.

Tak and Holly are in (hooray !) more chats and then goodbyes and out and off again, this time headed for Coffeeshop Erste Hulp on Marnixstraat, another old friend . Two grams 25e of Royal Morrocan Cream pollen later and 5 joints on board, for the walk down to the Coffeeshop Bluebird. Once more goodbyes and off I go.

The 3rd part of my meets plan, was to find Milehigh and it's fallen apart a bit, but I am hoping for internet at the Bluebird, but alas they have none and time is short. Buy 3.5g of Border hash for 15e and 1g of Bluebird Cheese weed 15e . Roll 5 cheese, smoke 2 , add 2g Border Hash to coffee's, then comes the tricky bit........and I have 45 minutes to walk back to Amstel Bus Station....

You may laugh, but I almost did not make my coach. I walk out of the Bluebird Coffeeshop at 8pm to head to Amstel station for 9pm and three times I set off the wrong way. Twice I retrace my steps and then with just 35 minutes left I am lost again.
I stand in a shop doorway and wail.......''I-need-to-get-to-Amstel-station-and-am-lost-and-I-am-walking-and-I-have-no-money-and
-I-have-35-minutes-before-the-coach-leaves-and-can-anyone-tell-me-which-way-to-go-? '' So embarassing....
Several people walk past and yes, what they say is right, I am a mad man, but one stops and tells me 'that way, then left, then a bridge, then a circle, then right and follow the Amstel' and I pray I understand and race off at breakneck walking pace. ......
so with 3 minutes to spare I arrive at Amstel station, check in, load bags and me and leave 8 minutes later.
Crazy ....

Later, early early morning Belgium, 1.5g of Border into a coffee and 1 last joint, then back onto the coach and it's off to play with the French customs.
Through the tunnel up and into London for 7am Thursday. Off, out into the street , walk to train station, onto the train and back to Ruralshire and castle .

Train: 20e return.
Bus: 65e return
Hash: 45e
Weed: 15e
Food: 0e
Drinks:15e
Fun: Priceless.
Total: 160e / £100

Easy.

PS. ......and I didn't lose the Nintendo Wii.....BONUS !
Last edited by Sir Ian of Tokesville on Sun Dec 02, 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boner
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Boner » Sun Dec 02, 7:50 pm

Wow what a day, what did the Wii cost?

Sir Ian of Tokesville
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Sir Ian of Tokesville » Sun Dec 02, 8:20 pm

It cost 250e / £179 for a basic console which is the RRP, + 160e non-negotiable expences to include travel .So for the Wii, no more than it would cost, if you could buy the basic console in the UK ( you would struggle to do it as most consoles are bundled) .
No Uk stores had 'em and on ebay and Amazon marketplace, sellers were adding £100+ and postage to the basic price, so it was a no-brainer to go to Amsterdam. I got to meet some fellow Channelites, which was something I had been wanting to do for a long time too. Smoked and swallered a 'farmers' of good stuff and had a cool time.
Every Xmas shopping trip should be like mine....
Last edited by Sir Ian of Tokesville on Sun Dec 02, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chili Ed
super poster
super poster

Postby Chili Ed » Sun Dec 02, 8:20 pm

Nice report. Bluebird is a favorite of mine as well. I seem to go there every trip. They haven't had any Blue Cheese on my most recent visits.

Chili

Anne
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: Bused in for a 12 hour visit....

Postby Anne » Sun Dec 02, 11:11 pm

Sir Ian of Tokesville wrote:PS. ......and I didn't lose the Nintendo Wii.....BONUS !

You nearly did though, Sir Ian, admit it!

Sir Ian of Tokesville
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Sir Ian of Tokesville » Sun Dec 02, 11:55 pm

Anne wrote:
Sir Ian of Tokesville wrote:PS. ......and I didn't lose the Nintendo Wii.....BONUS !

You nearly did though, Sir Ian, admit it!

O.K.....busted.
I guess me being stoned and lost , running late for the bus home, means that technically speaking, it might have appeared that the 'Xmas present' was MIA, albeit temporarily...
I love dangerous and daring missions.
Next weeks trip ; 'Coked' in Belgium for Lady Tokesvilles Xmas chocolates...

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Mon Dec 03, 4:35 pm

You could have done what we did and got 'Game' to phone you when they got a batch in ... but that wouldn't have got you a fun trip to Amsterdam!

I like your style!

Peace, Des.

Sir Ian of Tokesville
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Sir Ian of Tokesville » Mon Dec 03, 4:58 pm

You know the saying ' Once bitten twice shy ?. ' We had assurences from GAME last Xmas and we are still waiting for the call.... oh allright ...I was bustin' for a quick lap of the centrum.
Thanks kids, dad has had his xmas present.

benji
regular
regular

Postby benji » Tue Dec 04, 10:32 am

Sir Ian of Tokesville wrote:Train: 20e return.

Easy.

In 12 hours You spent 0 Euro for food????
How is possible???? Are you sure???

Sir Ian of Tokesville
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Sir Ian of Tokesville » Tue Dec 04, 10:39 am

benji wrote:
Sir Ian of Tokesville wrote:Train: 20e return.

Easy.

In 12 hours You spent 0 Euro for food????
How is possible???? Are you sure???

I brought a picnic.....sandwiches.

benji
regular
regular

Postby benji » Tue Dec 04, 11:12 am

I can't eating only a sandwich.. especially when i smoke :-))

chas
power poster
power poster

Border Hash

Postby chas » Sun Dec 09, 9:55 pm

Thanks fo the report, can you please describe the "Border Hash"? 3.5 grams for €15? Was it rock hard, sort of like the blond Lebanese hash that is available for similiar prices or was it different? Would like to hear about that hash b/c if good it might be worth a tram ride to Bluebird. Thanks

theguest
super power poster
super power poster

Postby theguest » Sun Dec 09, 10:24 pm

Hi Ian,

Nice report, I am always interested to hear about the other ways of getting to paradise.

Did you get two seats all to yourself on the bus, or just the one?

I find that the way they make seats now is terrible, not in terms of size but design.

A man ideally needs plenty of space for his testicles or it feels terribly uncomfortable. I simple could not do the long coach ride if I could not get two seats to myself so I'm interested to know how packed the ride was.

Also, what are the customs like through the borders as you come back? I take it that it is all Schengen except for the tunnel? Do they rip the coach apart with sniffer dogs?

Sir Ian of Tokesville
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Sir Ian of Tokesville » Mon Dec 10, 1:04 am

chas wrote:Thanks fo the report, can you please describe the "Border Hash"? 3.5 grams for €15? Was it rock hard, sort of like the blond Lebanese hash that is available for similiar prices or was it different? Would like to hear about that hash b/c if good it might be worth a tram ride to Bluebird. Thanks

Border (black hash), its good for a smoke won't do no harm and will get you high, but in the main I use it to add to coffee and hot chocolate and at the price its a great deal. Soft enough to bend. Its a good 'banker' which allows you to smoke some of the more expensive hashes and weeds and still leave the coffeeshop with a lump of hash for your travels...

theguest wrote:Hi Ian,
Nice report, I am always interested to hear about the other ways of getting to paradise.
Did you get two seats all to yourself on the bus, or just the one?

This time two, both ways, but that is not always the case.

theguest wrote:I find that the way they make seats now is terrible, not in terms of size but design.
A man ideally needs plenty of space for his testicles or it feels terribly uncomfortable. I simple could not do the long coach ride if I could not get two seats to myself so I'm interested to know how packed the ride was.

Eurolines have some coaches with EX legroom check the site..
Mid-week to Holland is not always packed full . I choose to travel both ends at night....I'll make no bones of it, it is a long journey, but after you clear French customs on the way you screw in the earplugs and everyone sleeps. For your discomfort you think of the first coffeeshop you will visit with the money you have saved over needing a hotel and reminding yourself of the £44- it is costing for a return ticket. On the homeward leg after a full day of reverie you board wrecked and ready for a sleep right up to the French / English customs...

theguest wrote:Also, what are the customs like through the borders as you come back? I take it that it is all Schengen except for the tunnel? Do they rip the coach apart with sniffer dogs?

Yes they do, everytime. Don't even think of it.

Flights / transfers / taxes , they all add up and hotels in Amsterdam are not cheap. Its enough to stop you going. I would love to fly and sometimes, I treat myself to a flight there, and a coach back. But all things considered and in all honesty, I would rather undergo some discomfort and visit four or five times a year than anything less.I think for anyone either not in London or the home counties, it might not make economical sense and a flight, more likely would be the better option.

But I think of it this way....you can finish work on Friday, board a coach, wake up in Holland, be in your first coffeshop by 8am Saturday, bring some food and if you have a sleeping bag, kip for a night. Catch a coach home Sunday night and you get two whole days and be back in time for work on Monday and if you spend wisely, all this can be had for around a £100. How bad is that ?

Philter
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Philter » Tue Dec 11, 4:07 am

Wonderful report, you the man!

boneymaroni
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby boneymaroni » Tue Dec 11, 6:43 am

Makes sense to me. I tip my hat to Sir Ian.

Sir Ian of Tokesville
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Sir Ian of Tokesville » Tue Dec 11, 9:08 am

Philter wrote:Wonderful report, you the man!

boneymaroni wrote:Makes sense to me. I tip my hat to Sir Ian.

Perhaps a better thread title would have been...

''Amsterdam on a sandwich'' or ''How I smoked away my flight and hotel package.''

Red Pleb
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Red Pleb » Tue Dec 11, 11:18 am

Planned with something approaching military precision ! Nice one Ian. When i was living in London , many moons ago , i travelled the same way several times. Its a hike but well manageable for those with the inclination and energy. But, as you point out, possibly not economically viable if not already in the capital.
Although encroaching on often valuable time, a ferry from Hull, Harwich or Newcastle makes for a cheap and leisurely trip. I often get a return crossing and a night in a half decent hotel for £80. All makes a change from that 55 minute flight . Allows you to be a little smug about the smaller carbon footprint too !

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby LastHamlet » Tue Dec 11, 3:15 pm

Excellent, and very fast paced adventure, Ian.
I dare say I wouldn't have the stamina to take on such a mission.
Of course, that is way cool to do your shopping in AMS, wished I lived as close.
All The Best Regards,
LH

Sir Ian of Tokesville
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Sir Ian of Tokesville » Tue Dec 11, 4:53 pm

Red Pleb wrote: . Allows you to be a little smug about the smaller carbon footprint too !

Dunno about that...everywhere I walked and everyplace I stopped, there was a fair sized plume of smoke. Sorry Amsterdam.

LastHamlet wrote:Excellent, and very fast paced adventure, Ian.

There were some zero inertia almost sub-conscious moments too...interspaced by some hash coffee fueled zombie like legwork.....you would have coped LH.
Hmmm...perhaps a new sport, Dopetathlon anyone ?

nellie
super power poster
super power poster

Postby nellie » Tue Dec 11, 7:07 pm

Easyjet had a 6pm from Glasgow a few years ago. I used to leave the office at 4pm, 20 mins drive to airport. No luggage in Uncles by 7.30pm, go to party , dinner or whatever and catch the 6.30am and be at my desk by 9am.

I did this a lot back then.

Philter
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Philter » Tue Dec 11, 7:09 pm

We in the USA were hoping that Canada was going to legalize and then you would see the same thing going to Montreal, Vancouver, etc.

Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Generous_J » Wed Dec 12, 9:51 pm

now that is a tale worthy of a knight. Just hope you dont look like Heath Ledger

Dazzler
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Dazzler » Thu Dec 13, 6:39 pm

You took the coach to Amsterdam for a 12-hour visit? For god's sake, why? Do you know about these metal bird things?

Sir Ian of Tokesville
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Sir Ian of Tokesville » Fri Dec 14, 12:21 am

Dazzler wrote:You took the coach to Amsterdam for a 12-hour visit

Yes I did.

Dazzler wrote:?

I'll see your '?' and raise you a ! ! !

Dazzler wrote:For god's sake, why?

This covered in a previous post:-

Version 1:( family friendly )
Sir Ian of Tokesville wrote:I have come to Amsterdam to buy a Nitendo Wii for my son/s xmas present

Version 2:
Sir Ian of Tokesville wrote:I buy a gram of Parvati hash. Roll 3 joints and smoke 1. Fire up number 2 and head out of the door, smoke that one and one more ////Two grams 25e of Royal Morrocan Cream pollen later and 5 joints on board,////Buy 3.5g of Border hash for 15e and 1g of Bluebird Cheese weed 15e . Roll 5 cheese, smoke 2 , add 2g Border Hash to coffee's//// early early morning Belgium, 1.5g of Border into a coffee and 1 last joint, then back onto the coach

Dazzler wrote: Do you know about these metal bird things?

Errm.......''these metal bird things ? ''

? ? ?

I am sorry, but I cannot see what you are showing me.
Do you mean a-e-r-o-p-l-a-n-e-s ?
If so, may I draw you attention to what I wrote...
Sir Anta of Tokesville wrote:Flights / transfers / taxes , they all add up and hotels in Amsterdam are not cheap. Its enough to stop you going.

Travel out of the UK to and from Amsterdam, for no more than the price of a quarter of hash and a pack of smokes. Works for me.

theguest
super power poster
super power poster

Postby theguest » Fri Dec 14, 12:45 am

How far in advance did you have to book to get such a good coach deal? I tried and it was like 60 quid, similar to flying.

Sir Ian of Tokesville
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Sir Ian of Tokesville » Fri Dec 14, 1:15 am

Three weeks ....
Eurolines Promo 7 Return (Netherlands)
£37.00
( + optional £3 travel insurence)
(Amendable, non-refundable)

Fare includes £3.00 booking fee
Under 26 a couple of £'s less I think ...

Check-in before departure -30 mins London / 15mins Amsterdam. Amstel is walking distance to the centrum so you don't pay the transfer you would pay both ways from Schipol. London coach is 10 mins walking distance to Victoria mainline and underground station.

///Thinks/// Eurolines should be paying me for this...

muckypup
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Postby muckypup » Fri Dec 14, 2:31 am

This is some funny shit.

A man who has recently typed over a thousand words making painting me as some sort of bummed-out loser for coming out, on aggregate, £5.69 down in a series of bets seems to be actually bragging that he spent 22 hours on a fucking stinking coach to save a few quid getting his son a Wii. But he did get a whole three spliffs of hash out it. Wow!

And Sir Ian says I should seek therapy...

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Fri Dec 14, 7:44 am

muckypup wrote:This is some funny shit.

A man who has recently typed over a thousand words making painting me as some sort of bummed-out loser for coming out, on aggregate, £5.69 down in a series of bets seems to be actually bragging that he spent 22 hours on a fucking stinking coach to save a few quid getting his son a Wii. But he did get a whole three spliffs of hash out it. Wow!

Muckypup....please remember that you are down "live squid" by your own skewed calculations and welsh habits. I am waiting for you at the Kras...come pay up.

Peace

NewYork, New York
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby NewYork, New York » Fri Dec 14, 5:00 pm

muckypup wrote:This is some funny shit.

It isn't about money loser boy, it is about sticking to your word.

It is about ethics and your lack thereof.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”