Halloween Week (long)

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

DrTak
super power poster
super power poster

Halloween Week (long)

Postby DrTak » Tue Nov 13, 5:34 am

Well, I finally have a little time to relate a few observations and experiences from my recent visit at the end of October.

I stayed at one of the Amsterdam Escape apartments –“suite�. It was pretty nicely equipped, including pipes, papers and a small amount of weed to get started. The jukebox was very cool, and the shower was one of the best that I have had in Amsterdam. The kitchen was shared space, but nicely equipped, including a computer with a “virtual concierge� page. A washer and dryer are nice – but as usual with me, I find European appliances inscrutable. I push buttons and turn dials until something happens, but I had a pair of pants held hostage for about three hours before I could get the damn thing to stop, and get the door open. Brendan was very service oriented and friendly, and the location, facing a canal near Nieuwmarkt, was superb – very convenient, close to the Metro, yet quiet at night. However, the smell of disinfectant was a bit overpowering – I had to buy a pillow because it felt like I was sleeping with my head in a Lysol bottle. Also, the sound of a mouse chewing in the wall all night was a bit distracting. Almost caught the little booger one evening, but he got away. Perhaps a housecat is in order.

The weather was great for this time of year; the best I have experienced. Upper 50’s F every day, and only a light drizzle once. Perhaps Amsterdammers should organize in favor of global warming (I know – rising sea levels will not be fun when it is already a place reclaimed from the sea).

The weed selection was pretty good – something that has not always been the case right before the CC. Although still not wonderfully cured, most of the bud I got was decently dried, or maybe a bit overdried – I did not get any soggy weed this time. My favorites all came from Grey Area, which is a bit of a surprise for me, because I have previously thought them a bit overrated. I liked the Buddha Cheese, the Silverberry and the Chocolope. Worst weed I had was the NY Diesel from Bluebird – just had a harsh crappy taste. Enemy from Bluebird was just OK. Also disappointing was Barney’s Sweet Tooth. I posted elsewhere about the new Barney’s Uptown. Clean, but a bit sterile feeling. Service still blows, but breakfast, booze and the ability to smoke all pretty cool. If anything, their food seemed slightly less inedible than usual. Amnesia Sour Diesel and Amnesia Haze were OK, but not spectacular. De Kuil was really empty – the booze ban in the Coffeeshops seems to have hurt them more than anyone. Their super silver was pretty good – probably the next best weed outside Grey Area. Homegrown Fantasy’s oddly named Garden Lamp or something was above average as well. Notable for Indica lovers was Siberie’s Lavender – nice right before an afternoon nap.

Walking on the Dam, an impressive crowd gathered a couple days in a row, with numerous police vans blocking the entire area off. I asked a cop what was happening, and with typical Dutch directness he replied, “Squatters have taken over a building, and now we will get them out.� Fascinating technique, with a huge crane raising a large shipping container up to a third floor window, and then the sounds of breaking glass and chainsaws as the cops cut their way into a front window. I guess charging up one of the steep Dutch “laddercases� to evict someone is probably unwise. I was also impressed with the variety of splattered colors of dried paint on the cops’ shields and uniforms. One gets the impression that the cops expect to get bombarded – so they wear their “painting clothes� for such tasks. As I mentioned, this spectacle was repeated the following day. I sat near the tourboats, smoked, had some Vlaamse Frites and watched for a bit of extended time. Free entertainment, if not conventional.

Didn’t do too much fine dining. Maoz Felafel was good, as were the brown bread Uitsmijters at Café Stevens. Had quite a few beers at a variety of pubs, but don’t really recall any details (!). I had the experience twice of the bar’s clientele breaking into Dutch songs, to which everyone seemed to know all the words but me. Hadn’t experienced this phenomenon before; I have no idea whether this is commonplace or a special occasion. I tried to watch some American Football at the Sports bar in Leidesplein, but after no waitress service in 45 minutes, I bagged it. Witnessed some kind of scene at one of the Bars facing the National Monument in Dam Square between some Asian customers and a waiter screaming at them. The undoubtedly horsemeat based bitterballen were their usual deep fried junk food excellence. The hideous monument appears to be under construction yet again (related to the new Metro?) It was surrounded by a plywood fence that was immensely more attractive than the monument itself.

High points of the trip undoubtedly involved meeting other Channelites. Visited TAK’s rock shop booth in Noordmarkt. It is very cool – certainly outclasses the competitor gem/mineral stalls. I did not witness TAK wheelbarrowing two tons of igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic materials down the canal from the Asoka, but it must keep him in shape – he has no stairs to deal with, so I guesss this makes up. Bought a nice fossilized mammoth tooth that he informs me is dredged form the North Sea, which I guess was prime mammoth grazing grounds 15,0000 years ago or so. (I had no problem with it in customs, although TAK tells an amusing tale of being forced to report to the Department of Agriculture with a load of mammoth teeth once – do the feds worry about introducing a pathogen that would devastate the domestic mammoth industry?)

Nice Channelite get-together at Siberie. TAK, Holly, Sly Crayon, Bear (is there more than one on the Channels?) Its my Magical Life, Mile High Denver and his lady friend were all there. We waved to UKBL and others on the webcam , albeit a bit tardily. I have to say MHD’s home grown was superior to all the commercially available strains I noted above. I asked about his curing technique – he clearly does it right. We had a nice discussion, even venturing into some politics without any bloodshed.

The very best day had to be spent on Bear’s boat. It is a thing of beauty – low enough to clear the bridges, but impressively large with an enclosed cabin and galley, plenty of places to sit inside and outside, a wonderful wood interior, and dual piloting areas – inside and out. Not sure how long it is, but it was evidently built as a pleasure craft for canal cruising in the 1920’s. Getting from the cabin to the outside deck involves a walkway about 3 inches wide – one does need to hang on for dear life to the various rails while making the move. It’s My Magical Life professed to being quite stoned, and being worried about ending up in the drink making the move. Bear has an amazing store of knowledge about a variety of sights along the way – sure beat the heck out of any tour I have been on. We cruised all the way down to the Het Nieuw Meer, spending the entire afternoon, just soaking in the sights. Sitting outside, there is about two inches of clearance going under some bridges; Magical life was sitting facing backwards approaching one such bridge, and I fear he may have been decapitated had I not pointed out the upcoming head removal style span. We headed back to the marina in early evening, and took the Metro back into the City proper.

Not much else to say – the flight home was uneventful, except for a woman seated in front of me who must have weighed 500 pounds. She was livid because she had purchased two seats (for obvious reasons), and KLM had put a standby passenger in one. The gate agent/flight attendant found another seat, so the poor soul was not smothered on the way back. I was a bit chagrined that when the customs forms were passed out and my obese fellow traveler was sleeping, the flight attendants immediately (and correctly) assumed she was an American.

Once again, thanks to TAK, Holly and Bear for their great hospitality, MHD for some great smoke, Sly Crayon for her enviable rolling skills and IMML for some great company. Looks like my passport is ready to expire, and this may well be the last stamp I get on it.

If this was too long – well then -- you should never have started reading it.

DRRB
power poster
power poster

Postby DRRB » Tue Nov 13, 6:19 pm

Dr. Tak,
Thanks for a great trip report. I really enjoyed it.
Not too long.
DR RB

smoker_moby
power poster
power poster

Great Report

Postby smoker_moby » Tue Nov 13, 6:50 pm

Hi man ggreat report sounds like you had a good time!!!

I think the stuff from homegrown fantasy isd called Genie Of The Lamp, i had this last time and it was really nice. It tasted like it hadnet been burnt when i smoked it through a bong!If that makes sense!

Looking forward to further reports!!

Cheers Matty

Boner
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Boner » Tue Nov 13, 7:53 pm

Excellent read, thanks for taking the time.

Chili Ed
super poster
super poster

Postby Chili Ed » Tue Nov 13, 8:00 pm

Great reporting DrTak. It seems that you also revealed a little secret in your post.

Chili

chichi123
mega power poster
mega power poster

nice

Postby chichi123 » Tue Nov 13, 8:25 pm

Nice to hear from you DrTak. I take an old pillow with me and leave it there. Pillows give me the hibby jibbys.
What's the secret?
Cheech

sidhe333
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby sidhe333 » Tue Nov 13, 9:53 pm

thanx DrTak
splendifourous report, indeed
from the missing cat to jabba the hut snoring
it's all good...

any pics?
it sounds like a swell holiday

s:.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Tue Nov 13, 11:20 pm

One of the best reports I have read in a while. Thanks man.

MikeFromTx
super power poster
super power poster

Postby MikeFromTx » Wed Nov 14, 6:30 am

Birdman wrote:One of the best reports I have read in a while. Thanks man.

I second that. Great report!

Chili Ed
super poster
super poster

The Secret

Postby Chili Ed » Wed Nov 14, 6:33 am

SlyCrayon was keeping "her" Identity a secret for fun. Whenever I included her in a report, I referred to her as The Crayon. She probably didn't mention it or didn't care, but it was fun while it lasted.

Chili

TheGoatMan1
super power poster
super power poster

Postby TheGoatMan1 » Thu Nov 15, 1:10 am

Great report.Felt like i was there.

Philter
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Philter » Thu Nov 15, 3:03 am

I will print this report and read on the plane Tommorow night! just glanced at it. Put me right in the right mood!

shantiman
power poster
power poster

Re: Great Report

Postby shantiman » Sat Nov 17, 12:14 am

[quote="smoker_moby"I think the stuff from homegrown fantasy isd called Genie Of The Lamp, i [/quote]

Yeah they just released the seeds.

MHD's weed is grown with love, thats the difference!

SlyCrayon
super poster
super poster

Postby SlyCrayon » Sat Nov 17, 11:28 am

Hello DrTak, you have such wonderful humour in person; hope to meet you again sometime. Perhaps you could stop using gender pronouns when referring to the Crayon? It has been very amusing that, based only on what they read, most Channellites believed that I was a man until we were introduced. Maybe we relate better to someone we imagine to be like ourself? Gender is superfluous if all we do is write.

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: Great Report

Postby MileHighDenver » Sun Apr 27, 7:43 pm

shantiman wrote:MHD's weed is grown with love, thats the difference!

Thanks man, I think so too.

jerkypete49
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby jerkypete49 » Mon Apr 28, 2:12 am

Terrific report, DrTak. :-)
You have an excellent writing style. Direct & to the point but descriptive & informative. Nice!

BTW, Are you Polish?

a bollocks
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: Not A'dam dam'it..... a traveler, a heart, no woot for you.

Postby a bollocks » Mon Apr 28, 8:57 am

yes. nice paragraph breaks.

cogent thought.

MORE SILLY!

lordy knows we could need some on here.

good report.

slither
super power poster
super power poster

Postby slither » Mon Apr 28, 4:28 pm

a bollocks wrote:yes. nice paragraph breaks.

cogent thought.

MORE SILLY!

lordy knows we could need some on here.

good report.

WANK!

Bollocks you're the Silly King around here...save some $$$ and make your own trip.

Then come back and wax ludicrous to your heart's content.

a bollocks
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: Not A'dam dam'it..... a traveler, a heart, no woot for you.

Postby a bollocks » Mon Apr 28, 9:39 pm

sorry?

good report.

i got a few in the archives... if that is what you are trying to imply.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”