Just got back Nov. 2

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Kenry
power poster
power poster

Just got back Nov. 2

Postby Kenry » Tue Nov 06, 4:11 pm

Howdy. Spent a week at the Rookies. Room was clean, in a central location, wireless internet was horrible, TV was good, had a safe, free breakfast and friendly help. Found Amsterdam itself to be like Manhattan with bicycles and canals; too many fuckin' people. You really need to be on your toes when walking around. I'm amazed that there aren't more accidents. Spent a day in Haarlem and enjoyed that. If I were to go back it would be there. Went to a bunch of different coffee shops and sampled a variety of smoke. Nice to have the variety, but no better than what you can get in the states.

Birdman: Enjoyed my trip, but it didn't change my politics.

Anne
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Anne » Tue Nov 06, 4:13 pm

Glad you enjoyed it, Kenry. Even gladder you didn't write a three-page-report.

Plans on going back any time soon?

Kenry
power poster
power poster

Postby Kenry » Tue Nov 06, 4:20 pm

Anne wrote:Glad you enjoyed it, Kenry. Even gladder you didn't write a three-page-report.

I doubt it; I don't see the point. It's been a while since I've spent much time in a city and I'd forgotten how much I dislike the hustle and bustle. Haarlem was more my speed. The Dutch people seemed so lively and vital and quite honestly; I felt like an intruder. Guys were zipping by on their bikes with 2 kids (with no helmets) and there I am stoned out of my mind eating a falafel! Didn't feel right. I realize they probably don't care, but all the people I ran into in the coffee shops were from out of town. Do the locals spend much time at the coffee shops?

Anne
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Anne » Tue Nov 06, 4:26 pm

Ha ha, I see your point. I always cycle passed tourists and they often seem in quite a shock. No one wears helmets when on a bike here.

We don't spend much time in coffeeshops. All the people who smoke weed who I know just buy it and then go home. No use to hang around in a place where you have to pay for coffee if you have a Senseo in your house.

Boner
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Boner » Tue Nov 06, 4:35 pm

Kenry wrote:
Anne wrote:Do the locals spend much time at the coffee shops?

From my experiance it depends on the coffeeshop.

Birdman

Re: Just got back Nov. 2

Postby Birdman » Tue Nov 06, 6:38 pm

Kenry wrote:Birdman: Enjoyed my trip, but it didn't change my politics.

too bad. (If there is a) Next time, rent a bike.

Did you meet up with anyone?

Kenry
power poster
power poster

Postby Kenry » Tue Nov 06, 7:14 pm

Birdman wrote:
Kenry wrote:Birdman: Enjoyed my trip, but it didn't change my politics.

too bad. (If there is a) Next time, rent a bike.

Did you meet up with anyone?

I can't think of many things that would be as hazardous as being stoned and bike riding in Amsterdam. Didn't meet anyone.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Tue Nov 06, 7:22 pm

Kenry wrote:I can't think of many things that would be as hazardous as being stoned and bike riding in Amsterdam. Didn't meet anyone.

It helps you not feel like "an intruder".

Kenry wrote:Guys were zipping by on their bikes with 2 kids (with no helmets) and there I am stoned out of my mind eating a falafel! Didn't feel right.

Yet if a tourist is standing in NYC drunk out of their mind that is "right"?

I thought you had a meet up with Tak all set up?

Kenry
power poster
power poster

Postby Kenry » Tue Nov 06, 8:06 pm

Birdman wrote:
Kenry wrote:I can't think of many things that would be as hazardous as being stoned and bike riding in Amsterdam. Didn't meet anyone.

It helps you not feel like "an intruder".

Kenry wrote:Guys were zipping by on their bikes with 2 kids (with no helmets) and there I am stoned out of my mind eating a falafel! Didn't feel right.

Yet if a tourist is standing in NYC drunk out of their mind that is "right"?

I thought you had a meet up with Tak all set up?

Didn't have any meetings setup.

You're an argumentative fellow aren't you? I didn't say it was wrong or right; I said I didn't feel right. You can go to many clubs in NYC and find plenty of drunk locals. Sorry if my feelings bother you.

NewYork, New York
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby NewYork, New York » Tue Nov 06, 8:16 pm

[quote="Anne"] Even gladder you didn't write a three-page-report.
[quote]

Thanks for the chuckle Anne.

Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Old Fart » Tue Nov 06, 8:18 pm

Kenry wrote:
Anne wrote:Glad you enjoyed it, Kenry. Even gladder you didn't write a three-page-report.

I doubt it; I don't see the point. It's been a while since I've spent much time in a city and I'd forgotten how much I dislike the hustle and bustle. Haarlem was more my speed. The Dutch people seemed so lively and vital and quite honestly; I felt like an intruder. Guys were zipping by on their bikes with 2 kids (with no helmets) and there I am stoned out of my mind eating a falafel! Didn't feel right. I realize they probably don't care, but all the people I ran into in the coffee shops were from out of town. Do the locals spend much time at the coffee shops?

The one thing that was obvious to me during our trip, the Dutch are incredibly fit, no fat people. Not to mention the women are gorgeous, most of the Dutch women in Amsterdam would be prom Queens in the USA. I always hear how fat Americans are....but it hits you right between the eyes when you travel to Europe for the first time. More exercise and smaller portions for meals...the key to a healthy Dutch life I suppose. I'm inspired.
Last edited by Old Fart on Tue Nov 06, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Tue Nov 06, 8:27 pm

Kenry wrote:You're an argumentative fellow aren't you? I didn't say it was wrong or right; I said I didn't feel right.

Ok, so if you are standing around in America drunk out of your mind while SUVs are zipping by does that "feel right"?

Kenry
power poster
power poster

Postby Kenry » Tue Nov 06, 8:42 pm

Birdman wrote:
Kenry wrote:You're an argumentative fellow aren't you? I didn't say it was wrong or right; I said I didn't feel right.

Ok, so if you are standing around in America drunk out of your mind while SUVs are zipping by does that "feel right"?

Doesn't make me feel uncomfortable.

genypher
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby genypher » Tue Nov 06, 9:06 pm

glad you had fun! My husband and I were pretty amazed how, despite how crowded the city was, how happy, or at least how not angry, everyone seemed. Did you hit any of the cultural sites? Museums? Anything?

Kenry
power poster
power poster

Postby Kenry » Tue Nov 06, 9:22 pm

genypher wrote:glad you had fun! My husband and I were pretty amazed how, despite how crowded the city was, how happy, or at least how not angry, everyone seemed. Did you hit any of the cultural sites? Museums? Anything?

Yeah. We went to the Rijks(?) museum and the resistance museum. Also spent some time in a few of the parks. We took the canal bus a few times, but traveled by foot for the most part.

Anne
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Anne » Wed Nov 07, 3:00 pm

Walking is good. Most things in the Centrum are walkable anyway, I only take the tram when I'm too lazy to cycle and need to go far, like to a suburb.

islandgurl
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby islandgurl » Sat Nov 10, 2:02 am

I agree, Anne I walk almost everywhere I go. I've only been on a tram 2 times in the 4 times I've been there, and they were both the last trip in April going to Trefpunt and back. This time I'm just going to walk to Trefpunt so I don't miss the coffeeshops along the way!

If I lived there I'd have to eat like a complete pig to keep weight on, though. I sure go for it with all the hot chocolates & whipped cream I order YUMMMMMMM I can't taste it all now... NYCD too sheesh I'm gonna do the Homer drool in a minute lol :-)

2 days 23 hours 42 minutes yayayayayayayayayayay

Gee SOMEBODY is just too excited and needs to calm down!! **Looking around whistling**

TAK
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby TAK » Sat Nov 10, 8:56 pm

Hey Kenry,
I thought we were going to meet up.
I would have liked to.

Dag
TAK

DrTak
super power poster
super power poster

Postby DrTak » Sat Nov 10, 11:24 pm

Too bad it was a largely dysphoric experience for you. Oh well -- different strokes and all that.

There certainly are places that plenty of people love to vacation that I personally despise (anything Disney, Hawaii and Las Vegas come to mind). However, I have friends who enjoy such things, and I really don't think it is my place to try to suck the joy out of their preferences.

Live and let live.

Kenry
power poster
power poster

Postby Kenry » Tue Nov 13, 10:11 pm

TAK wrote:Hey Kenry,
I would have liked to.

Dag
TAK

Sorry TAK, I don't remember that. It would have been cool, but with my friend feeling as poorly has he did; it was best we had no plans anyway.

Kenry
power poster
power poster

Postby Kenry » Tue Nov 13, 10:13 pm

DrTak wrote:Too bad it was a largely dysphoric experience for you. Oh well -- different strokes and all that.

There certainly are places that plenty of people love to vacation that I personally despise (anything Disney, Hawaii and Las Vegas come to mind). However, I have friends who enjoy such things, and I really don't think it is my place to try to suck the joy out of their preferences.

Live and let live.

I hope I didn't come off as trying to suck the joy out of the Amsterdam experience. I was just reporting on my trip.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Tue Nov 13, 10:33 pm

Kenry wrote:I hope I didn't come off as trying to suck the joy out of the Amsterdam experience. I was just reporting on my trip.

I'd say more like two sticks stuck in the mud.

TAK
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby TAK » Tue Nov 13, 11:32 pm

Kenry wrote:
I would have liked to.

Dag
TAK

Sorry TAK, I don't remember that. It would have been cool, but with my friend feeling as poorly has he did; it was best we had no plans anyway.

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2:41 am

Kenry wrote:
TAK wrote:
Kenry wrote:Well nobody there will know my political preferences. I plan on kicking back, smoking as much as I can and enjoying the sites.

When are you coming over Kenry?
I know your political preferences and I'll meet up with you.
I'll help Anne with the post-it notes. LOL!

Dag
TAK

My friend and I will be arriving Oct. 26 and are staying for a week. We can share some smoke, drink and food, but the only Bush I wanna hear about is the kind in Anne's pants. ;p

You'll just have to come back.

Dag
TAK

Kenry
power poster
power poster

Postby Kenry » Wed Nov 14, 2:20 am

TAK wrote:
Kenry wrote:
I would have liked to.

Dag
TAK

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2:41 am

Kenry wrote:
TAK wrote:
Kenry wrote:Well nobody there will know my political preferences. I plan on kicking back, smoking as much as I can and enjoying the sites.

When are you coming over Kenry?
I know your political preferences and I'll meet up with you.
I'll help Anne with the post-it notes. LOL!

Dag
TAK

My friend and I will be arriving Oct. 26 and are staying for a week. We can share some smoke, drink and food, but the only Bush I wanna hear about is the kind in Anne's pants. ;p

You'll just have to come back.

Dag
TAK

Sorry about that. My memory isn't what it once was. Maybe I'll come back to Haarlem one day.

DrTak
super power poster
super power poster

Postby DrTak » Wed Nov 14, 3:39 am

Kenry wrote:
DrTak wrote:Too bad it was a largely dysphoric experience for you. Oh well -- different strokes and all that.

Live and let live.

I hope I didn't come off as trying to suck the joy out of the Amsterdam experience. I was just reporting on my trip.

Nahh. You just sounded bummed.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”