Here Now

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

SlyCrayon
super poster
super poster

Here Now

Postby SlyCrayon » Mon Oct 01, 2:04 pm

It is 2007; this is a live trip report. Thursday and Sunday were beautiful and clear days, yesterday there was some cool rain. It is grey and cool, while the men who were setting up the Noordermarkt stalls at six this morning are now taking them down. Some impatient motorist on the Prinsengracht hits his horn.

Channellites in Amsterdam are alive, looking good, and playing well together. I have seen this with mine own eyes, and it was a pleasure to meet. Bas continues to be a superb moderator and TAK and Holly are warm and wonderful hosts. Te ontmoeten is leuk.

As a direct result of reading and posting on the Channels, I have been introduced to new people in Amsterdam. Finding commonalities and making friends deepens the the travel experience. The system continues to work for those who choose to respectfully participate into the wee hours.

Sunday afternoon saw Myrte and Crayon riding second canoe with TAK and Holly down Lijnbaansgracht and back up Prinsengracht. With a nifty electric trolling motor, this is not only quiet and pleasant, but effortless. TAK knows how to do things with style.

Hope our friends from the North UK have made it home safely, great to see you; the rest of you guys, bel nu, need some help with the twee kratten of extra biertjes!

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: Here Now

Postby des » Mon Oct 01, 11:15 pm

SlyCrayon wrote:It is 2007; this is a live trip report. Thursday and Sunday were beautiful and clear days, yesterday there was some cool rain. It is grey and cool, while the men who were setting up the Noordermarkt stalls at six this morning are now taking them down. Some impatient motorist on the Prinsengracht hits his horn.

Channellites in Amsterdam are alive, looking good, and playing well together. I have seen this with mine own eyes, and it was a pleasure to meet. Bas continues to be a superb moderator and TAK and Holly are warm and wonderful hosts. Te ontmoeten is leuk.

As a direct result of reading and posting on the Channels, I have been introduced to new people in Amsterdam. Finding commonalities and making friends deepens the the travel experience. The system continues to work for those who choose to respectfully participate into the wee hours.

Sunday afternoon saw Myrte and Crayon riding second canoe with TAK and Holly down Lijnbaansgracht and back up Prinsengracht. With a nifty electric trolling motor, this is not only quiet and pleasant, but effortless. TAK knows how to do things with style.

Hope our friends from the North UK have made it home safely, great to see you; the rest of you guys, bel nu, need some help with the twee kratten of extra biertjes!

Yes, we got home safely this afternoon, thanks!

It was nice to meet you too, but I have to admit I didn't know you were SlyCrayon at the time!

I had to pm Anne to find out who everyone was ... I hadn't even realised that Bas was Bas! LOL

Peace, Des.

SlyCrayon
super poster
super poster

gorgeous weather today

Postby SlyCrayon » Fri Oct 05, 3:53 pm

The trees are losing the leaves to the wind, but not without a good flutter. At this moment the sky is blue, the air is fresh, it is lovely in Amsterdam.

All the best to the family, Des. Hello, everyone. Think positive thoughts.

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: gorgeous weather today

Postby des » Fri Oct 05, 9:52 pm

SlyCrayon wrote:The trees are losing the leaves to the wind, but not without a good flutter. At this moment the sky is blue, the air is fresh, it is lovely in Amsterdam.

How long are you in Amsterdam for, SlyCrayon?

Peace, Des.

SlyCrayon
super poster
super poster

Postby SlyCrayon » Sat Oct 06, 10:48 am

I'm in-contry until 9 November, but will be over in Haarlem looking at a windmill for ten nights and by Den Haag another eight. Hope to bicycle in the countryside and along the dunes.

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Sat Oct 06, 7:14 pm

SlyCrayon wrote:I'm in-contry until 9 November, but will be over in Haarlem looking at a windmill for ten nights and by Den Haag another eight. Hope to bicycle in the countryside and along the dunes.

Stop it, you're making me jealous!

If you're staying at the Indica, you're in for a treat ... the apartments are superb and MHD is a wonderful host!

Check out the Amnesia Haze ... it's the wickedest weed I've ever smoked!

Peace, Des.

SlyCrayon
super poster
super poster

Postby SlyCrayon » Fri Oct 19, 11:01 am

Haarlem is smaller than Amsterdam, but it has all the amenities. Have been staying in the second Indica apartment. Today is kind of a cold, slecht day, but you can't beat the scenery. And the place inside is light and airy, with a wonderful bed, better pans in the kitchen than I have, washer and dryer, oven and magnetron. Cooking and laundry, just like home. Getting stoned and watching the telly, DVDs, listening to music and playing on the computer. This may be better than home. There is a beautiful big windmill in front across the Spaarne River. Two cathedrals, both Sint Bavo's, are part of the rear view panorama. Yesterday RTV-NH had a program about how windmills work and the people who live in them. It was interesting practice for my Nederlands (ondertitels teletext 888), video was almost like being there. Night before last there was a program at 23:00 about penis puppets. We now officially have seen everything on Dutch television. Those who never get past CNN and EuroNews are missing out. It has been an educational and unforgettable experience to be here. And being able to drop into Worteltje's downstairs...incomparable! Thanks again to MileHighDenver for superb hospitality and excellent conversation. It's near the beach. Sunday I bicycled to Bloemendaal aan Zee and wound up bicycling most of everything named Bloemendaal, dunes, woods, town. Sly saw Vogelmeer. Am having Amnesia Haze for wake and bake this morning, Des. Wicked good long-lasting cerebral high, definitely better buzz for me than what I had earlier this past summer. Cheers to Bas and the Channels, without whom some of this might never have happened!

Swin
super power poster
super power poster

Re: gorgeous weather today

Postby Swin » Fri Oct 19, 4:42 pm

SlyCrayon wrote:The trees are losing the leaves to the wind, but not without a good flutter. At this moment the sky is blue, the air is fresh, it is lovely in Amsterdam.

You lucky devil! Enjoy

SlyCrayon
super poster
super poster

Postby SlyCrayon » Sat Oct 20, 7:49 am

Reservations, Swin. With a little planning, we can ALL be so lucky! Sunny day now...

sidhe333
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby sidhe333 » Sat Oct 20, 5:51 pm

delicious on-the-spot reports sly!
awaiting the next with heavy breathing...
thanx for my minimum adult daily dosage!

s:.

do you like photos? nudge nudge, say no more...?

SlyCrayon
super poster
super poster

herfstbloemen

Postby SlyCrayon » Sat Oct 20, 7:15 pm

Today I rode the train from Haarlem to Den Haag. It was pretty in the afternoon, cold and clear with a few high clouds in a cornflower blue sky. Between Voorhout and Leiden, there were flower fields. One had a few late blooms, a couple dozen white lilies nodding their heads; some were in full bloom with yellow, white, blue, purple and several shades of pink. Long rows were planted in the areas with glass greenhouses, many at right angles to the rail lines, so one sees a long strip of brilliant color briefly in passing. A number of the fields were cut and dried, or fallow soil, so it would be my guess that this is a particularly pretty stretch during the spring. As it were, there were signs of autumn, the brilliant red or yellow leaves on some of the trees, but the pasture grasses were apple green, lush in the muck of the polder.

I take photos, have thousands from this and previous trips, but don't upload them online. I barely get them backed up onto CD. I like shooting the pictures, but not organising them. They make me remember, which is more vivid than what the camera captures.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: herfstbloemen

Postby Bohannon » Sun Oct 21, 7:40 pm

SlyCrayon wrote:Today I rode the train from Haarlem to Den Haag. It was pretty in the afternoon, cold and clear with a few high clouds in a cornflower blue sky. Between Voorhout and Leiden, there were flower fields. One had a few late blooms, a couple dozen white lilies nodding their heads; some were in full bloom with yellow, white, blue, purple and several shades of pink. Long rows were planted in the areas with glass greenhouses, many at right angles to the rail lines, so one sees a long strip of brilliant color briefly in passing. A number of the fields were cut and dried, or fallow soil, so it would be my guess that this is a particularly pretty stretch during the spring. As it were, there were signs of autumn, the brilliant red or yellow leaves on some of the trees, but the pasture grasses were apple green, lush in the muck of the polder.

I take photos, have thousands from this and previous trips, but don't upload them online. I barely get them backed up onto CD. I like shooting the pictures, but not organising them. They make me remember, which is more vivid than what the camera captures.

So many of us taking photos of the same things, admittedly with different skills and angles, lol. You can cruise through some of my photos (organized and commented upon) at www.europebyphoto.com (not my site BTW.

Peace

Hobie
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Hobie » Thu Oct 25, 12:39 am

Come on over , or ill see ja @ FBN`s meet up This Nov ...........

c(_) prost

TAK
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby TAK » Sun Oct 28, 5:06 pm

Nice reports there Sly.
Keep them coming.

Dag
TAK

SlyCrayon
super poster
super poster

Still here, now in Siberie

Postby SlyCrayon » Fri Nov 02, 7:38 pm

Am in Siberie and will soon be rolling, but the trip continues to be great. The meet in Siberie was fun, I had eight nights staying at the edge of Wassenaar, a community with more paardenpoep op de straats dan hondenpoep. Unimaginative view from highway motel, but it was an easy ride to the Meijendael Park through south Wassenaar, or over to Scheveningen, or through the Haagse Bos to the centrum. Den Haag is an engaging mix of nine centuries of architecture. Lots of shopping, world class museums (I still have not been to Rijks-, but I saw Escher at the Paleis and Mauritshuis. The Girl with the Pearl Earring by Vermeer is at Maurits. Anne, I think that it is a better portrait than Jan Six, but your post about the Portraits of the Dutch Masters exhibition was the inspiration for my visiting. Hope you are feeling okay this evening, drink plenty of water.

The whole area is great for bicycling, lots of fietspaden and parks. If you are interested in action and nightlife, this might not be your city. It is kind of quiet and restrained, as befits the home of the Royals.

Anne
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Anne » Sat Nov 03, 1:20 pm

The Girl With A Pearl Earring is a classic, definitely. My excitement over the Jan Six portrait has more to do with it not being shown to the audience often than it being a great painting. Feeling better today, I had plenty of tea last night.

I'm glad you enjoyed Wassenaar. Sorry I couldn't make it to Siberië the other day.

SlyCrayon
super poster
super poster

Postby SlyCrayon » Wed Nov 07, 7:14 pm

All is forgiven, dear Anne. One hopes that there will always be another meet at Siberie. Enjoyed a wonderful time with you and your young man gisteren avond. Tell him the thing with the chain was pure genius, just what I needed, dankjewel. Maybe see you vrijdag...

Anne
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Anne » Wed Nov 07, 7:18 pm

I could have told you that about the chain too, you know! I'll let him know it changed your life for the better. We had a great time too. Perhaps until Friday!

SlyCrayon
super poster
super poster

Postby SlyCrayon » Thu Nov 08, 7:50 am

My point is that useful information is to be gleaned from hanging out met jouw aardig jongens. I learn something every time we talk, Anne. You would easily number among the ten most interesting and intelligent people I know. And you are female. The Channellites I have met so far have been bright and engaging and I hope they will continue to be friends. This morning it's time to get ready for the wake and bake at Central with FlyByNite and Hobie.

In addition to meeting folks from forum, there have been several gezellig avonds at Siberie, among local friends. As I prepare to leave Saturday, NY Diesel is the favorite weed this trip and Nachtwacht makes a great steak. Watching a windmill turning is incredibly hypnotic and calming. The Nederland is a friendly country. I realise how accomodating the people are by comparison after visiting other places. Many Nederlanders are interested in a chat with a tourist. This is pleasant for those of us who do not travel with a retinue. And Amsterdam is unique in its quality of hospitality. Other cities are beautiful, but none caters to the tourist to the same degree, no other has the freewheeling spirit crossed with the merchanter's sense of values. It's been heerlijk!

SlyCrayon
super poster
super poster

Postby SlyCrayon » Fri Nov 09, 9:04 am

Cheers to the fine Channellites in Amsterdam who helped, entertained me and corrected my pronunciation in Nederlands. It has been a terrific trip; my brain is brimming with memories and new information. It is a little sad to leave, but Sly will be back. Time to continue packing. Outside it is raining and cold, dress warm!

TAK
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby TAK » Fri Nov 09, 9:45 am

Have a safe trip home, Sly.
We enjoyed your company.
See you when you come back in the Spring.

Dag
TAK

SlyCrayon
super poster
super poster

Postby SlyCrayon » Fri Nov 09, 11:22 am

Saw a rainbow after I wrote. It could turn out to be sunny. TAK: Hartelijk bedankt voor de warme welkom van de vrienden van Asoka. Helemaal goed tijdens! Veel succes in de markt.

Anne
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Anne » Fri Nov 09, 12:04 pm

SlyCrayon wrote:It's been heerlijk!

You mean heeeeeeeerlijk!

Swin
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Swin » Fri Nov 09, 1:01 pm

SlyCrayon wrote:Cheers to the fine Channellites in Amsterdam who helped, entertained me and corrected my pronunciation in Nederlands. It has been a terrific trip; my brain is brimming with memories and new information. It is a little sad to leave, but Sly will be back. Time to continue packing. Outside it is raining and cold, dress warm!

Sly, many thanks for a superb diary - jealous I wasn't there of course - roll on Spring 2008 - cheers mate!

SlyCrayon
super poster
super poster

Postby SlyCrayon » Fri Nov 09, 4:55 pm

Hey Swin, it would be a pleasure to meet you. Don't be jealous, be inspired. I hope to be there some time in April 2008 as well. Maybe first week of May. Trip Reports keep us all going between trips, don't you think. It is good to enjoy fellowship with strangers through mutual interests. Sorry if the non-stoners don't get it, but I've been interested to meet all the Channellites I have so far. And have great respect for the non-stoners who meet us half way. Who among us is not without his filthy habit? I was very bad today. No sex this trip (yeah, I could have if I really wanted to, but no), so I spoiled dinner with a lovely slice of appeltaart from Winkel. Met slagroom. The pie was just warm enough to let you know it had come from the oven within the past three hours, the cream was cold enough to cling to the side of the crisp tasty crust. Washed it down with wodka en bitter lemon, steeling us against the chill of the day. The intermittent rain has won out. Crushed leaves on the bricks of the street sometimes look like hondenpoep. Anne, my spelling was correct, what you refer to is the correct pronunciation. Thanks for clarifying. Sometimes you just have to be there, to appreciate Nederlands.

myrtje
super power poster
super power poster

Re: Still here, now in Siberie

Postby myrtje » Sat Nov 10, 12:55 am

SlyCrayon wrote:Am in Siberie and will soon be rolling, but the trip continues to be great. The meet in Siberie was fun, I had eight nights staying at the edge of Wassenaar, a community with more paardenpoep op de straats dan hondenpoep. Unimaginative view from highway motel, but it was an easy ride to the Meijendael Park through south Wassenaar, or over to Scheveningen, or through the Haagse Bos to the centrum. Den Haag is an engaging mix of nine centuries of architecture. Lots of shopping, world class museums (I still have not been to Rijks-, but I saw Escher at the Paleis and Mauritshuis. The Girl with the Pearl Earring by Vermeer is at Maurits. Anne, I think that it is a better portrait than Jan Six, but your post about the Portraits of the Dutch Masters exhibition was the inspiration for my visiting. Hope you are feeling okay this evening, drink plenty of water.

The whole area is great for bicycling, lots of fietspaden and parks. If you are interested in action and nightlife, this might not be your city. It is kind of quiet and restrained, as befits the home of the Royals.

Ahh you saw my favourite painting (het meisje met de parel). I love it, beats the Mona Lisa easily if you ask me. And Meijendel too, one of my favourite places on the planet (for as far as ive seen it). Did you have a pancake at the farm on the border of the dunes and the forest? Den Haag is not exactly wild, sometimes just a bit boring, but i love it anyway.

myrtje
super power poster
super power poster

Postby myrtje » Sat Nov 10, 12:58 am

Have a good trip home btw! And thanks a bunch for the Barcelona support, ill let you know how things are!

SlyCrayon
super poster
super poster

leaving...

Postby SlyCrayon » Sat Nov 10, 8:51 am

Dag, Myrte! It has been a pleasure making your acquaintance. You are very amusing, wise beyond your years, and it has been fun to spend some time with you. Thank you for Nederlands pronunciation. I still do not hear quite right the difference between "ei" and "ij" but every trip I learn a little more about everything. Will continue with Leuk, Spui and Leiden.

Meisje and Mona both have things to recommend them, but for ease of entry into Mauritshuis, location close to the CS, logistically it beats out Mona for me. One day I will do Rijksmuseum. That may be the trip I get Museumkaart, because it is huge. I have found the Nederlands generally to be high quality of exhibits in art and sculpture, exceptional in music performance in most genres, there's some really interesting architecture (did I mention Den Haag spans nine centuries?); het is een leuk land.

Inderdaad, een vrouw van de fietspad in Wassenaar zegd voor mij de mooiste route naar de Meijendael, en heb ik gegeten kaas pannenkoeken met gember, cheese pancake with ginger in the Boerderij in Meijendael, a lovely oasis in a park with dunes and forest, beautiful and in itself not so draining to ride through as the ring fietspad around Bloemendaal near Haarlem. Lots of birds and wildlife, nicely preserved dunes with solid brick fietspad.

This morning I'm finally packed, a few hours sleep after an evening in the cold rain with warm friends. Super trip. Immersion in the Nederlandse culture has been good for the Crayon, made me better and stronger and challenged the brain. Yesterday's post was brought to you by Diesel from Dampkring, lol. It's been wonderful to fill the senses with the essences of a different place and still feel at home. Gezellig.

Doeie!

Anne
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Anne » Sat Nov 10, 2:11 pm

Doei!! Tot in de lente!!

TAK
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby TAK » Sat Nov 10, 11:40 pm

Anne wrote:Doei!! Tot in de lente!!

Don't you just love it.