Anne's Budapest Experience

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Anne
mega power poster
mega power poster

Anne's Budapest Experience

Postby Anne » Fri Aug 17, 12:20 pm

I went to Budapest and Sziget Festival with my friends Santje and Cathrien for nine days. We flew with Swiss Airlines (free Swiss chocolate, RESULT!!) via Zürich, which really is an amazingly depressing and unproperly maintained airport for a country as wealthy as Switzerland!

So we arrived on Wednesday and due to my laziness but Cath's let's-sort-it-mood we got to the hostel by bus and metro easily. It's always good going on a holiday with female friends, as they tend to arrange everything, meaning all I have to do is just follow them around. The hostel was called the Friends hostel (quite a misleading name, the place was stuffed with French, Dutch and Italian love couples, we were basically the only friend group) and it's located in Pest, quite near the city centre. So that's a good location.

First thing I noticed is Hungarians don't speak English and they don't smile. Friendliness just doesn't seem to be their thing, which isn't a problem - it's just culture, I guess. Plus, Hungarian (that apparently is quite similar to Finnish) is impossible to understand (my Finnish isn't too good either). The fact that buying a ticket for the metro was quite difficult ("Three tickets! No, three! Tres! Drei, bitte!") made things rather adventurous though. Well, we settled at the hostel and then went to do what ladies love - shopping. Grocery shopping, that is. As a former Albert Heijn employee I have developed a third eye for supermarket managing and stuff, and I can tell thee that Hungarian supermarkets are everything but efficient. We just bought bread, cheese, juice, fruit, water, stuff like that, and after we had quite a large bag stuffed, the bill was 2,000 HUF - which came down to three euros per person.

We got on the metro and the HÉV (local train thingy) to Sziget Festival. Sziget is Hungarian for island. The festival took place at an island in the Donau, hence the name. It's Europe's biggest music festival with nearly half a million visitors. It used to go by the name of Eurowoodstock, and yes, I saw lots of hippies. Anyway, we had dinner at the festival, checked the place out a bit and that night Manu Chao played on the Main Stage, which was a great gig. Ooh, I ran into my Mum's friend's son from Nijmegen, which was a funny coincidence. After Manu Chao we danced to 80s classics, got on the piss and went home by bus. Not just any bus though, no sir!, a bus from the 1950s with a driver who looked as ancient as the Queen's Mother. After I'd gotten over my fear of the olde bus and the olde driver, I simply realised that a high risk of dying actually made things more exciting!

On Thursday we checked out our area a bit, and we went to the Synagog, which was beautiful. We took things rather slowly, seeing it was quite hot and I don't take heat too well. That night we went to the festival again, we saw German ska band Gentleman, The Good, the Bad and the Queen and - one of the best gigs I saw there - the Chemical Brothers. The Chemical Bros. were absolutely mega, but seeing there were so many people the only way we could dance was up, so we spent over an hour just jumping and screaming like 14-year-old groupies. The Good, the Bad and the Queen were very good as well, but they didn't really make contact with the audience which was a shame.

The day after we decided to take a short break from Sziget and went to Buda, where most of the sightseeing can be done. We saw the Mattyas Church, the Fishermarket and all the other things tourists usually take hundreds of pictures of. We found an authentic Hungarian restaurant that night (Hungarians like to boil veggies for ever, apparently they want to make sure ALL the vitamines are out), where we had fish with veggies and pasta. Very nice and cheap. Then we went to a rather trendy bar where a karaoke night was held. After the locals had sang too many Hungarian rock and pop songs, Cath and I decided it was time for some proper English music and sang I Want To Hold Your Hand by the Beatles. Being the crappy singers we are we didn't expect too many enthusiastic responds, but we got a great applause - oh well, must be the x factor! We went home after that, but it started raining so we just ran into another pub and drank lovely sangria.

Must go visit my nearly-dead Nan now, so I'll write the rest later!

Anne
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Anne » Fri Aug 17, 3:04 pm

Saturday was a bit of a relax day. I can't really remember what we did, I think we just wandered around a bit. We found a restaurant in our neighbourhood where they served a great chicken breast with pesto and tomatoes for a good price. They also had loads of vegetarian dishes, which was great seeing Cath's a vegetarian and she didn't have a lot to choose from in Hungary. At night we found a nice pub and drank beer.

On Sunday we spent the whole day at Sziget. I had my hair braided at the Afro-Latin village, and at night we saw Razorlight, who were surprisingly good. I took lots of photos when Johnny took his t-shirt off, ha ha ha. I wanted to see Sinead O'Connor and Faithless at night, but I felt a bit ill so I went home and spent the night drinking liters of tea, texting with Mr Anne and reading a quite lame thriller book, which didn't seem too good an idea eventually, as I got quite scared by noises in the house, ha ha. (Yeah I know, it's lame)

On Monday we went to the Parliament building, which, according to our travel guide is 'neo gothic with a touch of oriental'. I didn't spot the oriental part, but it was very nice anyway. We also went shopping and I bought earrings and a two-euro-shirt. Oh, and a cd which I eventually gave to Nick after I made him promise he'll give me a copy. We had dinner in the restaurant that had a good list of vegetarian dishes, and then went to Sziget. We saw a French theatre piece which reminded me a bit of an early 20th century circus with people doing scary things high above the ground. It was quite impressive. We also saw Tool, who are rubbish. We stayed at the festival 'till 3 or 4 am and then spent most of Tuesday sleeping.

Tuesday was the last day of Sziget, so we spent all night there. We smoked waterpipe in a tent at the Afro-Latin village and we saw The Killers, who aren't a very good band but we had fun, and then me and Cath went to the Magic Mirror tent whilst Santje and her mate Esther who was also there went to a tent where they played VERY LOUD crappy music. The Magic Mirror appeared to be the gay tent, lots of homosexuals, dancing to Girls Just Wanna Have Fun and things like that.

On Wednesday we visited one of Budapest's quite many thermic (?) baths. The weather was good so we swam a lot. There was also a sauna but I hate saunas so I didn't went in one. At night we had dinner on a terrace and got a bit tipsy. On Thursday we flew home again.

The end.

Oh, and some pictures:

Me as an orthodox Jew: http://i11.tinypic.com/5xyap2f.jpg
The view on Pest from the hill in Buda: http://i13.tinypic.com/6ba87wy.jpg
A statue of Elisabeth (Sisi) in the Mattyas Church: http://i12.tinypic.com/6ci0190.jpg
The Fishermarket (I don't know who those people are, they were a bit in the way): http://i13.tinypic.com/6fou3hc.jpg
View on the Parliament: http://i10.tinypic.com/6g4e5on.jpg
Johnny from Razorlight without a t-shirt on: http://i18.tinypic.com/67hix4x.jpg

TrekknHil
super power poster
super power poster

Postby TrekknHil » Fri Aug 17, 3:24 pm

Great report....sounds like you had a blast....thanks for sharing

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Fri Aug 17, 3:37 pm

Wow, when I was there eight years ago they had just begun the restoration of the parliament building and it's still not done but it does look great!

Budapest is a beautiful city.

Anne
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Anne » Fri Aug 17, 4:05 pm

Yeah, the Parliament looked fantastic. We weren't allowed in though, which is a shame.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Fri Aug 17, 4:11 pm

Thanks Anneke, lovely report and nice photos. Budapest is on my list. Lovely bridge there, a bit like a small Brooklyn bridge

Peace

Anne
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Anne » Fri Aug 17, 4:14 pm

Thanks BO. And it wasn't a very small bridge, it took me ages to get to the other side of it!

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Fri Aug 17, 4:16 pm

Anne wrote:Thanks BO. And it wasn't a very small bridge, it took me ages to get to the other side of it!

Only "small" in comparison. Did you have any goula?

peace

Anne
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Anne » Fri Aug 17, 4:21 pm

I'd rather say that in comparison the Brooklyn Bridge is just enormous, ha ha.

I didn't have any goulash, not too fond of it. I've gotten a bit alergic to stews and stew-like food after I had a crappy Irish stew in Belgium.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Fri Aug 17, 4:38 pm

The Brooklyn Bridge also isn't flat, unfortunately. I think this bridge, the Margaritte Bridge or something, was an inspiration for the Brooklyn Bridge or vice versa.

Budapest still is incredibly cheap!

When I was there I ordered a pizza with pepperoni, peppers, onions and cheese. When the pizza arrived there wasn't any tomato sauce on it. I asked the waiter for some tomato sauce and he brought be a bottle of ketchup. Jeez.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Fri Aug 17, 5:05 pm

Birdman wrote:The Brooklyn Bridge also isn't flat, unfortunately. I think this bridge, the Margaritte Bridge or something, was an inspiration for the Brooklyn Bridge or vice versa.

Budapest still is incredibly cheap!

When I was there I ordered a pizza with pepperoni, peppers, onions and cheese. When the pizza arrived there wasn't any tomato sauce on it. I asked the waiter for some tomato sauce and he brought be a bottle of ketchup. Jeez.

What? You think you were still in Brooklyn? Order some damn goulasuppe or other local food that you won't find done better elsewhere.

I hope to so a house swap with someone in Europe next summer for a month or so...hopefully that will allow me to travel to some of these interesting cities cheaply.

Peace

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Fri Aug 17, 9:47 pm

BOhannon wrote:What? You think you were still in Brooklyn? Order some damn goulasuppe or other local food that you won't find done better elsewhere.

Oh, I ate plenty of goulash and other hungarian fare, but I always like to try a country's pizza. I also like to go to their supermarkets and Anne is correct, Budapests supermarkets are insane.

Planning-A-Trip
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Planning-A-Trip » Sat Aug 18, 12:58 am

looks great Anneke. Great report and thanks for sharing the pics.

Anne
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Anne » Sat Aug 18, 3:38 pm

They definitely are, Bird. No efficient system whatsoever at all.

You're welcome, Planning-A-Trip.

a bollocks
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: Not A'dam dam'it..... a traveler, a heart, no woot for you.

Postby a bollocks » Sat Aug 18, 9:07 pm

fuck a bunch of goulash...

did you flash the band? COME ON!

WOOT!

NEMISIS

Postby NEMISIS » Sat Aug 18, 9:44 pm

Comment removed by Nemisis.
Departed from this forum for better forums.
Not happy with the way things are run here.
Last edited by NEMISIS on Thu Sep 13, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

koopa
super power poster
super power poster

Postby koopa » Mon Aug 20, 3:57 am

i've had the pleasure of seeing the Chemical Brothers live more than 5 times in an array of venues from small city club to Woodstock 99'. Top Notch experiences each time but I must say that seeing them in the mega huge festival scene was true bliss.

thanks for the excellent reading Anne.

Anne
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Anne » Mon Aug 20, 2:17 pm

Yeh, Koopa, they're awesome, aren't they?

Ha ha, Bolsy - I don't flash people, it's too much of a hassle when you wear a bra, innit!

NEMISIS, I'm a born and raised Dutchie. No English blood in my veins! I do watch quite a lot of BBC though, and I've been to England a couple of times so that could be it. :)

sidhe333
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby sidhe333 » Mon Aug 20, 6:33 pm

great report Anne!
thanks for sharing...and double kudos in the pics!
it really looks like a lovely city

s:.

NEMISIS

Postby NEMISIS » Mon Aug 20, 7:19 pm

Last edited by NEMISIS on Thu Sep 13, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anne
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Anne » Mon Aug 20, 7:44 pm

Thanks, Sidhe, did you also really like the pic of Johnny from Razorlight without a shirt on? That's one of my personal favourites!

NEMISIS, I wasn't very eager on having to learn French and German in school either, but seeing I wasn't allowed to drop it I learned it after all. I can have a somewhat decent conversation in French and read a bit in German. I studied Spanish in Spain for a couple of weeks last year, and my Spanish is better than my French and German, though it's not half as good as I'd like it to be. English is easy for us, because we get a lot in English - programmes and movies are subtitled, and we have it in school from the age of 9. I can speak rather well with a proper English accent, but when I'm just having a conversation in English I sound quite Dutch, I think. Also, when talking to an American, I tend to pronounce words more like they do (can't like ken't, rather like retherrrr etcetera). But I really like learning different languages. The only thing that makes my job (I work in a local news agent's shop) kind of nice, is talking to tourists in their language, ha ha.

Anthony
power poster
power poster

Postby Anthony » Mon Aug 20, 8:44 pm

does got on the piss mean using the bathroom?

woody
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby woody » Mon Aug 20, 8:52 pm

Anthony wrote:does got on the piss mean using the bathroom?

No.

Anthony
power poster
power poster

Postby Anthony » Mon Aug 20, 8:56 pm

woody wrote:
Anthony wrote:does got on the piss mean using the bathroom?

No.

does it mean get out of where you are? what does it mean?

Anne
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Anne » Mon Aug 20, 9:15 pm

Hi Anthony, on the piss is English for having a drink. Or ten. Woody is actually quite good at it I've heard, perhaps that's why he didn't explain.

NEMISIS

Postby NEMISIS » Mon Aug 20, 9:19 pm

Last edited by NEMISIS on Thu Sep 13, 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anthony
power poster
power poster

Postby Anthony » Mon Aug 20, 9:21 pm

Anne wrote:Hi Anthony, on the piss is English for having a drink. Or ten. Woody is actually quite good at it I've heard, perhaps that's why he didn't explain.

LOL. Thx for the idiom definition. Got any more slang, maybe some dutch ones? just curious.

SilentlyScreaming
regular
regular

Postby SilentlyScreaming » Mon Aug 20, 9:21 pm

get drunk.
English people use it that way, rather than just as another word connected with anger.

To get pissed = to get drunk
On the piss = out getting drunk...

At least that is how I would use the terms...

[edit]
Sorry for being late to the party, forgot to hit refresh before posting...

NEMISIS

Postby NEMISIS » Mon Aug 20, 9:26 pm

Last edited by NEMISIS on Thu Sep 13, 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anthony
power poster
power poster

Postby Anthony » Mon Aug 20, 9:35 pm

well I guess small differences in wordplay eh? when I say I'm on the piss it means I'm so drunk I'm peeing my pants. either that or I say I'm on the pisser which means I'm in the bathroom, please don't try to break the door lock or stare at my weeeenerr. hehe. It's always cool to discovery new meaning to known words. I've also noticed that Europeans have a lot of more positive slang than people in california. here almost everything with kids starts with a fuck...and ends with a ...bitch. I.E.: Fuuuuckk, biiiitchh! lol

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”