Sit-N-Spin #5

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Sit-N-Spin #5

Postby LastHamlet » Fri Jul 27, 7:57 pm

A sad time, a most sad time indeed...

Spending a few hours, here and there, in De Kuil, this venture, has been sad. There is an absence of the old spirit, that actually made De Kuil what it was.

No secret here, I am not a drinker, but don't mind if others drink, provided I do not have to babysit them when they drink a bit much. Nonetheless, De Kuil has always had a special magic, that is Really Rare, the ability to blend the two worlds of alcohol and ghanja, together.
Be it that the Drinkers, at times, had such the spirit, that it provided enough entertainment so the shop never appeared of just the sulking stoners, if you will. Or, on the alternate, perhaps the smokers, and their smoke, kept the initial backdrop of peace that is missing in the regular alcohol bars back home??? It does ponder one to wonder, and even one of my dearly departed coffeeshops had a weed and alcohol together, policy, still they didn't have the magic, as much as De Kuil once did.

It is as if a vulture of doom had landed, and took a huge shit, on the bar... (Just a Metaphor, cause that would be a crime to dump on that fine bar.)
Sadness you could really feel, as if the owners face didn't reflect it enough.
I pondered ideas that may help save them, like they really should buy that dump across the way(De Kroon), make it their weed shop, and this(the original) their bar... That was my best idea, and such would be similar to what Rookies did, and in essence, save the spirit, in the only salvageable means possible.

I am always a fan of the 'once was', and one that thinks that sometimes, sometimes, 'Change' is just another word for 'Lie'... No Matter what the sadness be, I can find it. Only, I seem to hope for the tears of joy, that can also accompany certain kinds of sadness,,,,, this time there were no such tears of joy, just the dam vulture of doom. (That vulture is overdue a carrot stick, up his ass.)

Here the gathering of many, on the day of world wide recognition, in the most famous place of recognition. (Although I do wonder why somebody originally selected 4/20 in the first place???? Maybe they just wanted to celebrate Hitler's Birthday??? It has always been my theory that it should be 4/22, and be linked to the Earth Day Festival. However, I digress.)
Even on this most famed day, mind you there was a brief 3 hours it seemed kicking, the crowd showed up, gave the greetings, if but to mark the years gone by, but greetings nonetheless. A time-honored tradition, bringing out tons of Channelites, and others for their own contributions to the event of defiance. If but for the sake of more irony, at least we had a whitey helmet. In retro, we might should have had that, out of the bag :-) Even the great ones, have to take a nap every now and then.
However, as quick as the celebration had come to be, the dust settled as rapidly.

Reading sadness on the faces of the once cheerful De Kuil staff, and wishing there was something I could do, even from a lowly-squire status. I guess I'll always be one of those that will remember the 'once was'.
Again, still wondering if 'Change' is just another word for 'Lie'... You know, like when the boss says that things are changing, and our old deal is a void deal, just as a comparison of concept, of course.

It could be that I may never see the real beauty in some of the changes I see??? It could be that a rainbow hides in the background??? It could be that I am just far on the side of pessimist??? I guess it could also be possible that none of this really exists???
Sometimes we don't win the game, and in losing, our character gets defined, to which in the day's passing, is just one less day I've got to live.

So, would I change to you,,,,,,, Whoops, I mean, would I lie to you??? Then, with that, does any of it matter???

To The Edge Of Not Understanding,
LastHamlet

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Fri Jul 27, 10:25 pm

Sooo, you are in Amsterdam now?

Have a coke or a coffee and a joint, jaysus it's not the end of the world. Roll a fatty and take it to the waterhole if you need a beer with a joint. Methinks you doth complaineth too much, lol

Peace

nellie
super power poster
super power poster

Postby nellie » Sat Jul 28, 10:31 pm

I was booking flights today for myself, my sister and Elizabeth whom you met in De Kuill. Katie's description of De Kuill " the bar where they were sooking cellophane"

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Not as it seems.

Postby LastHamlet » Mon Jul 30, 1:14 pm

No, BO, I wished I were in AMS, right now. These are mere words from my April trip.
Not protesting as much as expressing sadness on the behalf of De Kuil. A once jumping place, and now only spurts of customers come in.
Basically, I was saying we should now all frequent more, as their business has drastically changed. I do suppose, if it were your business hurting, you would want someone to do the same?

Nellie, good to hear from you, and I do remember Elizabeth and your Sister as well. We had a scream of a conversation in De Kuil, one year. Although, I need to bone up on my Scotland terms and verbs, I didn't do too badly. Your Sister actually was trying to teach me a few terms you use... But, alas, I am lucky to word out what few ponderings I do.

All The Best Regards,
LH

Boner
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Boner » Mon Jul 30, 3:18 pm

LH - I fully agree with you, I was there in May and it had no atmosphere at all. There was a night when we were 2 out of about 8 people in there and before too long we were the only one's in there pretty sad seeing that it was 9/10pm on a lovely evening in May.

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby LastHamlet » Mon Jul 30, 7:02 pm

I knew I couldn't be the only one to notice this situation at De Kuil, Thanks for adding your thoughts, Boner, it really is a much different place then it was before.
I did mention that I am not a drinker, but De Kuil had the magic that put it all together, and now it seems as part of their 2-part segment has been removed, the magic is slipping away.
I read looks well, and believe me, the owners are not happy with the situation. I even threw an improve, spur of the moment, B'day party at De Kuil, to try and boost attendance, and I really hate celebrating my B'day... Two days after the 420 event, and let me say, no more than a total of 12 people were in the place the whole time I was there. I even brought Puccini chocolates to give out, bought the first rounds of beverage, and still the aura could not be revived. (Though my single effort alone will not be enough, I need help.)
They really should buy the place across the way, and do exactly what Rookies did,,,,,,, do both again. Though maybe not the same De Kuil as before, but I believe it would be tons better than what it is enduring now... I miss the days of old, I miss the spirit of De Kuil, the way it used to be.

muckypup
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Re: Sit-N-Spin #5

Postby muckypup » Tue Jul 31, 2:44 am

LastHamlet wrote:Nonetheless, De Kuil has always had a special magic, that is Really Rare, the ability to blend the two worlds of alcohol and ghanja, together.
Be it that the Drinkers, at times, had such the spirit, that it provided enough entertainment so the shop never appeared of just the sulking stoners, if you will. Or, on the alternate, perhaps the smokers, and their smoke, kept the initial backdrop of peace that is missing in the regular alcohol bars back home??? It does ponder one to wonder, and even one of my dearly departed coffeeshops had a weed and alcohol together, policy, still they didn't have the magic, as much as De Kuil once did.

Beautiful words.

I've not been to De Kuil since the 'separation', but I had been dreading it. I was one of the last people to drink and smoke in there, and the whole sorry fiasco of it being stripped of its 'smokers' boozer' spirit is to me just another example of the old Amsterdam we knew being taken away.

But there's a shred of hope.. A wonderful prophesy:

LastHamlet wrote:they really should buy that dump across the way(De Kroon), make it their weed shop, and this(the original) their bar... That was my best idea, and such would be similar to what Rookies did, and in essence, save the spirit, in the only salvageable means possible.

What a fucking fantastic idea. I'd been thinking along the same lines, but that shithouse had lapsed from my memory. In fact, I'd resigned myself to losing the Croisantiere de Oude Brug opposite (and that's some sacrifice) in my campaign to save De Kuil, with the plan of turning it into a weed-selling closet. But De fucking Kroon. That's ideal. And it already had a licence. Wipe it off the map and bring back 420 Cafe!

Hurrah! Until that time, I'm buying my weed in De Kuil and wandering down to Kadinsky to smoke it and drink liquor.

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Crossroads???

Postby LastHamlet » Tue Jul 31, 1:17 pm

You know, Mucky, even in other times when we have a slightly different viewpoint on things (ie...2-PAC=Changes), I would ALWAYS say, you are one stand-up fucking guy, man!!! I say that in all sincerity, and even with the knowledge that when I am wrong on some issues, you never mind pointing that out, either... I admire that, cause you do it with a certain flare and style, that is uniquely your own.

The De Kroon idea, actually that was kinda dumb luck, while I roasted a doobie looking out the window of De Kuil... Who could not but ponder the thought of removing those dam green lights? True, lights are different colors, but something about that lighting, for the mere purpose of MAYBE disguising your weed, is just a bit stranger than I like. If but a mere partnership, these two need to merge... SOON!!!
Somebody, with some good business sense, unlike my lowly squire viewpoint, should pass this idea on, as I wouldn't have the credibility to be the one to suggest such.

If life is a circle, the 'once was' could actually be, again...
Save De Kuil!!!

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Tue Mar 09, 4:09 pm

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”