whoo!

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

genypher
mega power poster
mega power poster

whoo!

Postby genypher » Tue May 08, 2:41 pm

So, my first trip to Amsterdam was amazing. I loved it, hubby loved it. A truly beautiful and remarkable city. I was completely impressed with the Dutch people I met (and I met a few) and how incredibly nice they are. For a city with so much hustle and bustle, I guess I was shocked to see no one in a foul mood. If My husband and I lingered at an intersection, there was always a smiling local ready to point us in the right direction (even if we were wandering aimlessly and not really looking for direction!). I was simply amazed by how friendly the people we met were.

We spent a lot of our time at museums-- we got to 8 museums in 6 days! and the time between museums we spent drinking, smoking and exploring. The beer was almost more to write home about than the weed, though the weed was amazing. Anyway, in true Virgo form, I've compiled a lists of my favorites, so here goes:

Favorite Canal: Herengracht

Favorite Museum: Does Hortus Botanicus count? I loved that place. Tropen was pretty awesome too.

Favorite Bar: Gollem

Favorite Beer: Jopen Lentebier

Favorite Coffeeshop: WW Indica, but in Amsterdam, gonna have to go Stix. Maybe it was just the air that day blowing through the window, and the quietness of the place. I don't know. I really enjoyed the time hubby and I spent there.

Favorite Weed: Lavender Haze was bomb, and the Sticky Fingers I tried left a lasting impression (both from WW Indica). I liked the NYCD from Dampkring, too.

Favorite Hash: Nepalese Temple Ball from Stix. Tastes like patchouli smells mixed with black pepper. Also really enjoyed the Tbizla from WW.

Favorite food: Damn. We had so many different things. Thai, Indonesian, Ethiopian, Indian, Pannenkoeken... really hard to pick. I'm partial to thai, but I think the Indian food I had was the best I ever had and the rijstafel was out of this world. I don't know... Febo? just kidding.

Favorite memories (in no particular order):
1. Sitting in the sun by the Multatuli statue eating Puccini chocolate, by far the bombest chocolate ever (and Saw, we just finished that box we bought yesterday!)

2. fearing a riot on the Leidseplein when Ajax were playing their final game the day beore Queensday, and drinking beer and discussing all manner of things with Anne.

3. QUEENSDAY!

4. Butterfly House at Hortus.

5. Cheech finding me at the Airport.

6. Spending quality alone time with my Husband in a foreign country.

7. Meeting cool new people at Cafe Schuim

8. Meeting cool new people at Cafe Gollem

9. Enjoying the breeze and the sights in the various window seats and terraces we sat in.

10. The whole trip, basically.

Most pleasant surprise: The cleanliness of the public restrooms, even on Queensday. (it's the little things)

Least pleasant surprise: the stairs at the hotel. even knowing that the stairs would be ridiculous, i was ill prepared.

notes for next trip:
1. cobblestones=hurt feet. bring better shoes (though my converse worked exceptionally well)

2. stay a little further away from Dam Square (though, for a first timer, our location was great)-- I will definitely book an Apartment next time.

For all the Channelites I met, it was awesome meeting you. For those of you I missed... I wish I hadn't missed you. We will most likely go back to Amsterdam, maybe not next year, but soon. I didn't think that place would affect me the way it has. It is so much more than a pothead's mecca. It is a beautiful city with a rich history and an amazing culture. I just couldn't imagine ever getting enough of that place.

my husband and i took tons of pictures. You can view them here. I hope you enjoy!

I got a killer cold when i got back (probably from sitting on the Tarmac in DC for 2 and a half hours on a small commuter plane completely filled up in the 80 degree heat with no AC), and I'm finally getting over it. Now I get to start a job search. Wish me luck! God I hate when vacations end...

shlo

Postby shlo » Tue May 08, 3:00 pm

Glad to see you're back and ok. Even more glad that you had an excellent trip. Very impressed that you went to Stix.

genypher
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby genypher » Tue May 08, 3:11 pm

shlo wrote:Glad to see you're back and ok. Even more glad that you had an excellent trip. Very impressed that you went to Stix.
Why thank you, shlo. I went to a lot of coffeeshops. Tried Barney's but they were so packed and the barmaid was so unfriendly compared to the super-awesome girl at Pink Floyd that when I found myself on Haarlemerstraat i went straight to PF's. Stix was awesome. The girl there was very helpful. We couldn't choose between the Gunpowder and the Temple Balls, but she helped us and what a good decision it was.

Beer
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: whoo!

Postby Beer » Tue May 08, 3:13 pm

genypher wrote:Favorite Bar: Gollem
Good girl.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Tue May 08, 3:16 pm

Which hotel did you stay at?

shlo

Postby shlo » Tue May 08, 3:18 pm

How was the laughing Buddha at Indica, if you don't mind me asking?

genypher
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby genypher » Tue May 08, 3:18 pm

Birdman wrote:Which hotel did you stay at?

Hotel Aspen on Raadhuisstraat (right by Sawhiskey)

TrekknHil
super power poster
super power poster

Postby TrekknHil » Tue May 08, 3:19 pm

Nice report...sounds like you guys had a blast. Sorry you got sick at the end...not a nice way to end a trip.

Great pictures too!

Are you planning your next trip yet???

genypher
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby genypher » Tue May 08, 3:21 pm

shlo wrote:How was the laughing Buddha at Indica, if you don't mind me asking?
Didn't try it... or maybe I did... I smoked a lot of weed at the Indica, MH was spreading the love around. Everything I had there was great. I got Laughing Buddha at Amnesia and it was pretty good. The only weed i didn't like all that much was the first thing we bought (Super Skunk from Rockland), but it definitely got the job done... just didn't taste that great.

genypher
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby genypher » Tue May 08, 3:22 pm

TrekknHil wrote:Nice report...sounds like you guys had a blast. Sorry you got sick at the end...not a nice way to end a trip.

Great pictures too!

Are you planning your next trip yet???

Ha! Trying to get through P.A.D.S. at the moment. we've been talking about our trip to everyone incessantly (even strangers!), I'm sure once I find a job I will be more apt to start planning my next trip ;P

genypher
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby genypher » Tue May 08, 3:25 pm

Beer wrote:
genypher wrote:Favorite Bar: Gollem
Good girl.
The amount of amazing beer they had there was beyond all expectations, and maybe a little unfair. The bar tenders were all super nice. Snoopy was the coolest cat I met while there and the Jopen Springbier was the highlight of all the beers I tried. I think Pat preferred the Kwak. We are now trying to find local beer retailers through whom we can get Jopen, Kwak, Weihestephaner, and a few others we tried there. We've found a place that has La Chouffe.

Anne
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Anne » Tue May 08, 3:49 pm

Cool report, Jen! I had a great time with you and Mister Genypher too, we should do that again when you're back in Amsterdam or when I'm in Florida some day! :)

So how was Queen's Day? Everything you expected and more I think? What did you guys do?

genypher
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby genypher » Tue May 08, 4:04 pm

Anne wrote:Cool report, Jen! I had a great time with you and Mister Genypher too, we should do that again when you're back in Amsterdam or when I'm in Florida some day! :)

So how was Queen's Day? Everything you expected and more I think? What did you guys do?

we trekked everywhere. We went all over town. We got drunk. We got high. We ate frites. We danced. We sang. We had a great time. I found Qday odd. there were places packed in shoulder to shoulder, and then we'd turn the corner and be almost alone! eerie.

Pat and I really enjoyed meeting you. If you find yourself in Florida, by all means, let me know. I already have a pub crawl worked out for you!!

Anne
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Anne » Tue May 08, 4:11 pm

Well if I ever go to Florida it should be during Spring Break so we can laugh at drunk, vomiting students, w00t!

Wow, it sounds like you spent Queen's Day as true locals. Just go with the flow and drink, great!

genypher
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby genypher » Tue May 08, 4:18 pm

Anne wrote:Well if I ever go to Florida it should be during Spring Break so we can laugh at drunk, vomiting students, w00t!

Wow, it sounds like you spent Queen's Day as true locals. Just go with the flow and drink, great!
Between March and April! Come on over! With the exchange it'll be pretty cheap. Florida is lovely that time of year, though my allergies beg to differ.

Anne
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Anne » Tue May 08, 5:12 pm

Talking of allergies - I'm getting high on hayfever medication lol.

I probably can't afford it (money and time wise) any time soon! I'll make it to the States at least once in my life though, and then when I return I can complain about Yanks and actually have a clue what I'm talking about haha. ;-)

boneymaroni
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby boneymaroni » Tue May 08, 5:25 pm

Glad you both are home safely....it was a pleasure meeting you and hubby...

genypher
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby genypher » Tue May 08, 5:28 pm

boneymaroni wrote:Glad you both are home safely....it was a pleasure meeting you and hubby...
You too! Wish we could have spent more time... but i'm a loser. :( if y'all find yourself down in florida, look me up. When we hit Chicago (and we plan to) we will definitely give you guys a ringle-dingle.

Anne
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Anne » Tue May 08, 5:47 pm

I took a look at your pics, nice ones! Oooh, nice little fact about the Golden Bend (Gouden Bocht); the office of Moszcovic, the Netherlands' most famous - and infamous - office is there. I once nearly rode into him with my bike when passing the bend haha.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Tue May 08, 7:34 pm

genypher wrote:

and right by Bambam who was at Hotel Westhoven (or something). SHit I probably biked by you a few times on the street. DANG!

genypher
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby genypher » Tue May 08, 8:38 pm

Birdman wrote:
genypher wrote:

and right by Bambam who was at Hotel Westhoven (or something). SHit I probably biked by you a few times on the street. DANG!
That sucks!!! I was admittedly bad about being online. We usually could get a signal at odd hours and just enough to upload our pictures to the internet and check our e-mail. i got on to the channels a few times and by the time i was done typing my post i'd have lost signal again. I thin i got one post and a few PMs off to Anne, and that was it. :( There's always next time though, and i'm sure hubby and I will make it to NY sometime. And you know that if you're ever in Florida there are Channelites strewn all over the place. I'll buy you a beer and smoke you out Cocoa-style (which is basically on the beach...)

Rabbit281
power poster
power poster

Postby Rabbit281 » Tue May 08, 8:58 pm

Jen -

Where'd you get the Laughing Buddha and Lemon from your Queens Day picset?

genypher
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby genypher » Tue May 08, 9:01 pm

Rabbit281 wrote:Jen -

Laughing Buddha was from Amnesia and the Lemon was from Grey Area.... and both of them somehow made it home with me along with some tbizla, temple balls and king mohammed. it was dumb, i know. but my plan worked flawlessly.

Rabbit281
power poster
power poster

Postby Rabbit281 » Tue May 08, 9:07 pm

genypher wrote:

Laughing Buddha was from Amnesia and the Lemon was from Grey Area.... and both of them somehow made it home with me along with some tbizla, temple balls and king mohammed. it was dumb, i know. but my plan worked flawlessly.

Awesome, thanks!

Im wondering if I could get away with it, but being young, looking like a stoner, and coming from msterdam is probably going to get my luggage searched.

Good job on your smuggle though! lol

genypher
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby genypher » Tue May 08, 9:18 pm

Rabbit281 wrote:
genypher wrote:

Awesome, thanks!

Im wondering if I could get away with it, but being young, looking like a stoner, and coming from msterdam is probably going to get my luggage searched.

Good job on your smuggle though! lol

heh... thanks. it was actually a decision made at 6am the day i left. i put the little bags in my coin pocket in my jeans, and rolled my jeans up tightly, sprayed all my stuff with a "febreeze" like substance and packed my clothes around my jeans, so they were buried under everything. i was so nervous going through customs, but there were no dogs in sight in DC. I would never do it again, but figured if caught, it would only be confiscated and I probably wouldn't go to jail.

smokedpeppers
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby smokedpeppers » Wed May 09, 3:13 am

genypher wrote:I didn't think that place would affect me the way it has

nuf said...

lctricity
super power poster
super power poster

Postby lctricity » Wed May 09, 3:21 pm

Nice report genypher!

There's not much that compares to that first trip, much less the fabulous weather we were blessed with. Souvenirs are always a bonus too.

Sorry we didn't get a chance to hook up while we were there. Cheers to "next" time. Hopefully sooner than later.

Oh yeah, and the pics. Very nice. Thanks for takin' the time to share!

TAK
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby TAK » Wed May 09, 4:46 pm

smokedpeppers wrote:

nuf said...

LOL!
From one first Amsterdam tripper to another. May you both enjoy your second trip soon.

Nice report Gen. Sorry we didn't meet up.

Dag
TAK

genypher
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby genypher » Wed May 09, 8:04 pm

TAK wrote:
smokedpeppers wrote:

nuf said...

LOL!
From one first Amsterdam tripper to another. May you both enjoy your second trip soon.

Nice report Gen. Sorry we didn't meet up.

Dag
TAK

Me too, Tak... there's always next time, though!

SlyCrayon
super poster
super poster

Postby SlyCrayon » Fri May 25, 7:10 pm

Next trip there's always something more to see. Have read that ammonia ruins the noses of sniffer dogs and it is also good to clean the outside of a suitcase. Did you have the right clothes? Very impressive that you saw so many museums in a short time.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”