Trip report part two

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

LaTristesseDurera
super power poster
super power poster

Trip report part two

Postby LaTristesseDurera » Fri Sep 12, 6:34 am

Tuesday 8/13 noonish:

Woke up very slowly, showered and on our way.
Walked to the Waterlooplein flea market, stopped at Bluebird along the way but it was too crowded so we went to Reefer (a few doors down) they had really nice isolator hash (€15/g) and a great €23 for 5g deal for their 'Crystal' weed (see later), she had a coffee, I had a Redbull, and we enjoyed a spilff on the upstairs. We then went to the market and walked around a bit, at which point I left the wife, who wanted to do more shopping, to go pick up her anniversary present (a watch) at this jeweler on Grimburgwal.
On the way to the jeweler I stopped at Basjoe and picked up some dark hash (Nepalese? I remember it was the first item on menu...and about €10) as well as Rusland where I bought some NL Temple (€12/ 1.3g) Afghan Polm (€12/ 1.2g) and some Edelweiss (€12/ ????). Picked up the watch, which looked great and went back to the hotel where we had scones and tea, wanting to save our appetites for dinner. At this point we had about two hours or so before we had to get ready for dinner, so my wife went to buy some sneakers and I went back to Reefer to pick up a 5g bag of Crystal.
We started getting ready for dinner around 6:30 but we kind of stretched it out and didn't leave the hotel until 7:45, so we got to the restaurant around 8:15. As this was our anniversary dinner, we ate at our favorite restaurant in Amsterdam. It's called Utrechtsedwarstafel and I've talked about it in other threads but the upshot is this, you don't order- you just tell them any foods you do not want to eat when making the reservation, and they make you a 3, 4, or 5 course meal perfectly paired with wine.

WARNING: Below contains esoteric food and wine descriptions that some may find unspeakably boring, but I wrote down everything we had, so here goes:

We started with a glass of Champagne, which host/sommelier/co-owner Hans told us was made from Chardonnay grapes (Champagne Montre-Cul Blanc De Blancs.) This was accompanied by an appetizer of tender sauteed squid mixed with tomato. The chef, Igor (also co-owner) brings each plate to your table explaing what is in each dish.
The next course was a terrine of foie gras w/roasted pear and balsamic vinagrette. It was served with a dish of sea salt which Igor suggested sprinkling around the circumference of the plate then using as much as we needed. It was a heavenly dish, I have never enjoyed foie gras that much (normally I find it kind of gross, here it was sublime.) Hans paired this amazing dish with an outstanding white wine, which he chose because it was sweet but still had an acidity to it. The vineyard is Domaine Deletang (Montlouis 1997) which is in the Loire Valley.
For the next course Hans bought us a very light white (Ca'Del Bosco Terre Di Franciacorta 2000), saying that it goes well with seafood, making me very anxious to see what Igor was going to bring out. It turned out to be sauteed scallops, and shrimp, with a vegetable terrine. The sauce was very minimal but the seafood was so fresh it was perfect.
Another white was brought for the next course, one which Hans said was his favorite, an Austrian wine called Weingut Knoll Smaragd (2001.) This was an excellent wine and I just ordered a case for my parents (who are from Austria.) The dish was a piece of grilled turbot and some mashed mackerel (?!?) with asparagus. I would never imagine ordering something like that, but it tastes amazing, especially when paired with the wine.
Finally we are brought a red wine for a change of pace. It is an Italian wine (Rosso di Montalcino Podere Scopetone 1999) and is very rich. The meat course which accompanies it is a filet mignon wrapped in Irish bacon with butter beans (and something else which I can't read because my hadwriting had deteriorated by then.)
On to desert which was fresh blueberries and lemon creme in meringue nests with vanilla sorbet. Some Italian dessert wine (Giovanni Allegrini Recioto 1999) was the perfect mate for this amazing creation.
After an Irish coffee and some of Hans' special 1972 Don DX Gran Reserva, we were on our way, ready to walk (read: stagger) home. Actually you don't get that drunk when you pace yourself and eat with every drink, when we left at 12:30ish we were feeling very nice. We stopped at Stix on the way home and I bought some Powerplant Ice, Royal Stix Ice, some Gun Powder, and I asked the guy to suggest a nice tasting weed to roll the ice up with (i.e. flavor over quality, the ice would take care of the quality.) We then headed back to the hotel. It was an amazing first (full) day, and I knew that no matter what should happen on the trip, I already had an excellent holiday.

patrick

Postby patrick » Fri Sep 12, 1:23 pm

that is a heck of a first day, no wonder you said it was the best trip ever.

TrekknHil
super power poster
super power poster

Postby TrekknHil » Fri Sep 12, 4:51 pm

I almost stopped at the squid with tomato, lol

I've heard you mention this place and I've seen great reviews. Sounds like it was a very nice night.

dannymac
mega power poster
mega power poster

Wonderful Anniversary....

Postby dannymac » Fri Sep 12, 5:54 pm

I'm gonna have to show my wife this trip report..........
She's determined to go to Venice for our 20th anniversary next year (planning a Feb/March trip). I'm trying to convince her Amsterdam is just as romantic, and has the added advantage of the coffeeshops!

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Fri Sep 12, 6:14 pm

Hey Dannymac perhaps you should find out what that mal cost first, I am guessing it was over €300!
Having said that, it sounded like it was well worth it. I would want more red wines though. I am bringing a few bottles of CA Zinfandel and Petit syrah with me.
Pax

moe.
super power poster
super power poster

Postby moe. » Fri Sep 12, 6:31 pm

You do favor hash, don't you? I understand, it is not common here. It sounds like a great first full day there. Did you give her the watch at dinner, I don't recall reading that part. I'm not a seafood person at all, but the filet in Irish bacon and butter beans sounded great and the dessert sounds interesting too. I have to put Reefers on my must visit list for next trip over. Thanks for the report, can't wait to read the next installment.

moe.

GT
power poster
power poster

Postby GT » Fri Sep 12, 6:59 pm

thanks for all the detail, not boring at all...

i too am curious as to the price of this excellent meal.
while i am not a fan of seafood, i do like to try new things & am intrigued about this restaurant.

looking forward to the sequels.

LaTristesseDurera
super power poster
super power poster

Postby LaTristesseDurera » Fri Sep 12, 7:06 pm

Actually the meal was less than €300 but slightly more than $300. There are three course options (3, 4, or 5) and three levels of quality (simple, complex, or gourmet) so a 3 course meal of medium complexity would be substantially cheaper than the 5 course gourmet. The prices are on their website ( www.utrechtsedwarstafel.nl ) along with a llnks to reviews and pictures .Still very reasonable for all that we got (at least to a New Yorker it is, no way we would have gotten off that cheap in Manhattan.)

Yes I gave the watch during dinner, didn't think people wanted to hear all the cheesy details. It was much appreciated.

I don't know that I prefer hash to weed, I probably smoke more weed than hash when I'm in the Dam, ususally just sprinkling hash in a nice joint. So, where is all the surplus hash going? Well, I'm not saying...but I did buy a rather large book of stamps...

Banks
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Banks » Fri Sep 12, 7:12 pm

Great report, LTD... the restaurant sounds terrific! I'm adding it to my list of places to get to!
Good to hear you had such a great time.

LaTristesseDurera
super power poster
super power poster

Postby LaTristesseDurera » Fri Sep 12, 7:15 pm

BOhannon wrote: I would want more red wines though. I am bringing a few bottles of CA Zinfandel and Petit syrah with me.
Pax

As you could probably guess part of the reason I love that place is because I know so little about wine myself. However, it's ironic that you say that, because we were actually going to bring a bottle of CA Zinfandel, to give to the guys at the restaurant as a gift, unfortunately we left it at home. It sounds like you know your CA wines, so I'll ask your opinion of it, it's got 'Ridge Calif. Zinfandel Lytton Springs 1987' on the bottle. I think it's pretty good but I have no clue what makes a wine good. My wife picked up a case of when she was working on a case in Cupertino, and took a winery tour in her downtime.

moe.
super power poster
super power poster

Excess

Postby moe. » Fri Sep 12, 7:46 pm

Nudge nudge, wink wink, grin grin....say no more!!!

moe.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Fri Sep 12, 8:10 pm

LaTristesseDurera wrote:
BOhannon wrote: I would want more red wines though. I am bringing a few bottles of CA Zinfandel and Petit syrah with me.
Pax

so I'll ask your opinion of it, it's got 'Ridge Calif. Zinfandel Lytton Springs 1987' on the bottle. I think it's pretty good but I have no clue what makes a wine good. My wife picked up a case of when she was working on a case in Cupertino, and took a winery tour in her downtime.

The Lytton Springs vineyard is at the eastern end of the Dry Creek(appelation) area of Sonoma County, between Healdsburg and Geyerville. That Zin should be quite ready to drink now. It should be very good. I have my own system of rating wine. No "hints of glove leather with overtones of ripe mangos and tobacco" just: "1) wine good, me like... and 2) wine bad, me no like"
Enjoy (It seems that you know how, LOL)
Pax

Professor
power poster
power poster

mouth watering

Postby Professor » Fri Sep 12, 11:45 pm

Mouth watering...this is exactly the kind of special meal I enjoy. Thanks for the tip, the website is good. I will definitely put this on my list. I didn't know this kind of food, wine pairing, and service was available in Amsterdam.

aloha

_non
power poster
power poster

Re: Trip report part two

Postby _non » Sat Sep 13, 10:07 pm

LaTristesseDurera wrote:
WARNING: Below contains esoteric food and wine descriptions that some may find unspeakably boring, but I wrote down everything we had, so here goes:

Actually, that was my favorite part. As an avid Foodtv addict, and near student of The French Culinary Institute in NYC, I am most attracted to detailed culinary experiences.

In fact, our points of periodic contention (detailed examinations of cannabis detail and quality - grow cycles, curing processes and trichome counts) stems from this very same impulse. I treat herb much like some would treat wines or culinary technique.

All in all, a very good review. I will most definitely be checking out that resturant with my girlfriend come next year (sadly though, I do not consume land mammals anymore, so maybe it wouldn't cater to my tastes that easily).

LaTristesseDurera
super power poster
super power poster

Postby LaTristesseDurera » Sun Sep 14, 7:44 am

_non wrote:
LaTristesseDurera wrote:

Actually, that was my favorite part. As an avid Foodtv addict, and near student of The French Culinary Institute in NYC, I am most attracted to detailed culinary experiences.

In fact, our points of periodic contention (detailed examinations of cannabis detail and quality - grow cycles, curing processes and trichome counts) stems from this very same impulse. I treat herb much like some would treat wines or culinary technique.

All in all, a very good review. I will most definitely be checking out that resturant with my girlfriend come next year (sadly though, I do not consume land mammals anymore, so maybe it wouldn't cater to my tastes that easily).

Last July we took two non meat or fowl eaters (Piscine-vegetarians???) and they had as good a time as we did. Most of the dishes were seafood anyway, but the main course for us was steak with red peppercorn sauce and our friends had a tuna (or maybe swordfish...it was over a year ago and my memory is not what it used to be) steak with the same sauce, presumably so we could enjoy the same wine...

I think my biggest bone of contention with you is how you are so worried about things, (e.g. quality of weed, the political section) when I know you will have a great time, love the weed, and if you're bringing your girlfriend, well, Amsterdam can be a very romantic place. It's like I want to shake you and say 'you're gonna love it so stop worrying!'

_non
power poster
power poster

Postby _non » Mon Sep 15, 9:13 pm

LaTristesseDurera wrote:I think my biggest bone of contention with you is how you are so worried about things, (e.g. quality of weed, the political section) when I know you will have a great time, love the weed, and if you're bringing your girlfriend, well, Amsterdam can be a very romantic place. It's like I want to shake you and say 'you're gonna love it so stop worrying!'

Heh, don't confuse worry for curiosity. I'm 100% certain I'll have a blast as well, but to truely understand a location I need an overview of the social dynamics at work (remember, I'm steeped in post-structualist conflict theory, when it comes to sociology at least ).

Anyhow, thanks for the kind words and the intriguing tale of culinary adventure. ;)

Can't wait for part III.

_non

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Thanks LTD..

Postby LastHamlet » Tue Sep 16, 4:25 pm

Not bad at all... All I needed was a knife and fork to read this one... Well, a bong hit didn't hurt either.
I found it rather tasty, Thanks LTD.
You really know your 'eats' man...

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”