canoeing the Ij and other water-ways

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

smokedpeppers
mega power poster
mega power poster

canoeing the Ij and other water-ways

Postby smokedpeppers » Tue Mar 06, 5:48 pm

we had the privileged to experience Amsterdam from the canals, not by "zippy" tour boat but by snooving at the pace we chose, in "back alley" canals, through tunnels and the RLD's water-way....TAK also had us on the Ij, now that! makes one feel rather small, kind-a like a discarded "beer can" bogging around

...the voyage from the container to the Asoka was interesting, to say the least, 2 canoes, 4 people, one 4'x4' solar panel, 4 buckets of rocks and miscellaneous...just getting out to open-water was the first challenge, trying to squeeze 4' out-of a 3' passage but we made it, out and across bigger water, this is where the "beer can" feeling comes into play, around a point-of-ships and across the "ferry lanes", eventually coming to a series of cannels, pic, pic, pic, pic, pic, pic, that took us home to the Asoka...

...another day we all decided on canoeing to Central Station the long-way, i'm not sure where all we were! but C seems to think this was the course but the Capitan TAK may know different? i do know places that were familiar from your street travel, somehow looked different now, so we might stop too discuss that fact Dutch Flowers and pass the wine bottle, on to the Amstel and up to more cannels, leading us too Central...

this part of town had it's own little secrets, little "back alley" type canals and canal tunnels/bridges,pic i can see how some of these "looks" might give rise, to the "urban legend" of underground Amsterdam...as we gingerly canoed down through the RLD, taking in the "curb appeal" and wine, some cutie in a window was waving me in, i was waving her out and mama was hitting me over the head with the paddle, lol....out of the RLD and around the corner back to the Amstel heading home to the Asoka, Tak had his "green" motor along, so we sided-up canoes and wisk along giving way only to the tour boats

ah yes, Amsterdam! journeys like these helped put that BIG mile-marker in my life!...the pics are a little on the sparse side as i used a throw-away camera, not the digital also some pics were from TAKs fone-camera, thanks for letting us share this moment with y'all
Last edited by smokedpeppers on Tue Mar 06, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boneymaroni
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby boneymaroni » Tue Mar 06, 5:53 pm

Fabulous!!....and what a wonderful idea!...did the wakes cause much of a problem?

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Tue Mar 06, 5:56 pm

Dang dude, good thing you didn't drift out to the north sea. Kind of scary. Great report SP!

smokedpeppers
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby smokedpeppers » Tue Mar 06, 6:21 pm

boneymaroni wrote:Fabulous!!....and what a wonderful idea!...did the wakes cause much of a problem?

around the "Ferry Lanes" there was some chop, yes

Beer
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Beer » Tue Mar 06, 6:21 pm

Frankly I'm surprised you didn't all get killed.

johnyjoe
super power poster
super power poster

Postby johnyjoe » Tue Mar 06, 6:23 pm

Great report on what was obviously a great canoe trip. Thanks for taking the time to share, and with pics!

smokedpeppers
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby smokedpeppers » Tue Mar 06, 6:29 pm

Birdman wrote:Dang dude, good thing you didn't drift out to the north sea. Kind of scary. Great report SP!

lol, re: Ij...realizing there was maybe 50?? meters of H2O below, i keep thinking we were just a "beer can" a-drift

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Tue Mar 06, 7:09 pm

I knew about the feits but do the canoes com with a stay on the Asoka too?

Peace

mtbskalover
power poster
power poster

Postby mtbskalover » Tue Mar 06, 7:48 pm

that sounds like a fantastic, if not a little scary outing. thats a fair old distance you travelled. Did it take all day?

woody
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby woody » Tue Mar 06, 10:15 pm

I think it's a great idea - I'd rather use canadians than kayaks, much more stable - pretty fast too I'd imagine.

TAK
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby TAK » Wed Mar 07, 1:29 am

BOhannon wrote:I knew about the feits but do the canoes com with a stay on the Asoka too?

Peace

I'll probably let at least one of the canoes go with the houseboat rental. There is a row boat too.

mtbskalover wrote:that sounds like a fantastic, if not a little scary outing. thats a fair old distance you travelled. Did it take all day?

It took most of the daylight. Though we didn't start until about noon. That was fairly early for us. And it gets dark about 5 in January.

woody wrote:I think it's a great idea - I'd rather use canadians than kayaks, much more stable - pretty fast too I'd imagine.

Much more stable than kayaks, but not as fast. Now how fast do you want to paddle in Amsterdam. You can work your ass off and get around fast or leisurely paddle around Amsterdam and get a different perspective of the city than any other way.

boneymaroni wrote:Fabulous!!....and what a wonderful idea!...did the wakes cause much of a problem?

Wakes on the Ij can get big, but if you turn your boat into them there's not much problem. In the canals in Amsterdam there's no problem. Just stay out of the way of the tour boats.

Great report SP!!!

Dag
TAK

FlyByNite
super power poster
super power poster

Postby FlyByNite » Wed Mar 07, 2:44 am

I wonder if KLM will let me check my canoe as check baggage? Excellent adventure you had there. I guess if you were in a big hurry, you could use a jet ski. Didn't you know, aluminum canoes are made out of old beer cans. You can always tell if one has been through before you by the shiny skid marks on the rocks. Nice report.

Enjoy <~~~~ I can tell you did.
FlyByNite

shlo

Postby shlo » Wed Mar 07, 4:36 am

I tried kayaking in Providence was. I was instantaneously made ill by the waste in the water. I don't imagine that it's much different in Amsterdam.

Johannes
super poster
super poster

Postby Johannes » Wed Mar 07, 6:50 am

Way cool report SP! Thanks so much for pulling it all together, and even putting in maps! Having had the pleasure to meet you at Taks, and having seen the canoes and the container that carried them to Amsterdam from the States makes it all seem all the more cool! Very excellent adventure indeed!

J

holly265
regular
regular

Postby holly265 » Wed Mar 07, 1:05 pm

Thank you SP, for reminding me of one of the best experiences I've had in Amsterdam. The night before we canoed, Tak and I studied the map to see if we could get through without portaging Muntplein, lol. There is no passage shown. When we paddled up to that little tunnel with the bend (We couldn't see if there was a way out, or if there was another boat coming) I held my breath, and we scooted right through. We have done it since and all went well. Though you do get some strange looks. I could see the junkies up on the Pill Bridge trying to figure out how to sell to us - "Can we lower your coke down, now?" Urban canoeing is sure different than on the Susquehanna back in Pennsylvania. Next I'd like to go out into the Ij and see if we can find some more natural surroundings, and I've heard the trip down the Amstel south from town is lovely. Perhaps our visitors in April would like to paddle with us - what do you think, UKBL?

smokedpeppers
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby smokedpeppers » Wed Mar 07, 2:12 pm

shlo wrote:I tried kayaking in Providence was. I was instantaneously made ill by the waste in the water. I don't imagine that it's much different in Amsterdam.

DON'T DRINK THE WATER!, take potable water, beer or wine

woody
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby woody » Wed Mar 07, 2:20 pm

holly265 wrote:Thank you SP, for reminding me of one of the best experiences I've had in Amsterdam. The night before we canoed, Tak and I studied the map to see if we could get through without portaging Muntplein, lol. There is no passage shown. When we paddled up to that little tunnel with the bend (We couldn't see if there was a way out, or if there was another boat coming) I held my breath, and we scooted right through. We have done it since and all went well. Though you do get some strange looks. I could see the junkies up on the Pill Bridge trying to figure out how to sell to us - "Can we lower your coke down, now?" Urban canoeing is sure different than on the Susquehanna back in Pennsylvania. Next I'd like to go out into the Ij and see if we can find some more natural surroundings, and I've heard the trip down the Amstel south from town is lovely. Perhaps our visitors in April would like to paddle with us - what do you think, UKBL?

I've paddled down the Susquehanna. Got driven up river then paddled back to Lock Haven in canadians. Got through two cases of Anchor steam beer.

smokedpeppers
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby smokedpeppers » Wed Mar 07, 2:25 pm

holly265 wrote:Thank you SP, for reminding me of one of the best experiences I've had in Amsterdam. The night before we canoed, Tak and I studied the map to see if we could get through without portaging Muntplein, lol. There is no passage shown. When we paddled up to that little tunnel with the bend (We couldn't see if there was a way out, or if there was another boat coming) I held my breath, and we scooted right through. We have done it since and all went well. Though you do get some strange looks. I could see the junkies up on the Pill Bridge trying to figure out how to sell to us - "Can we lower your coke down, now?" Urban canoeing is sure different than on the Susquehanna back in Pennsylvania. Next I'd like to go out into the Ij and see if we can find some more natural surroundings, and I've heard the trip down the Amstel south from town is lovely. Perhaps our visitors in April would like to paddle with us - what do you think, UKBL?

LOL, if you get UKBL out their and find another Red Alligator(ish) purse like we found floating in the RLD, she'll be the ABL....

smokedpeppers
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby smokedpeppers » Wed Mar 07, 2:46 pm

woody wrote:

I've paddled down the Susquehanna. Got driven up river then paddled back to Lock Haven in canadians. Got through two cases of Anchor steam beer.

Nice scenic run you did their Woody!!!

27guldens
super poster
super poster

Postby 27guldens » Thu Mar 08, 1:36 am

WOW! Can i have some of that FUN?...

smokedpeppers
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby smokedpeppers » Thu Mar 08, 3:21 am

Johannes wrote:Way cool report SP! Thanks so much for pulling it all together, and even putting in maps! Having had the pleasure to meet you at Taks, and having seen the canoes and the container that carried them to Amsterdam from the States makes it all seem all the more cool! Very excellent adventure indeed!

J

dig it, how container will travel...C and I's pleaser "as well" meeting you and H

holly265
regular
regular

Postby holly265 » Thu Mar 08, 9:13 am

My canoeing days on the canals might be over. This was in the news today.

POLICE FIND BODY PARTS IN CANAL
7 March 2007

AMSTERDAM The police found several body parts in the Herengracht canal in Amsterdam on Monday and Tuesday. A person walking along the canal on Monday spotted something suspect in the water and called police. Divers of the fire brigade pulled a lower body section of an unidentified man from the water.

At the end of the day on Tuesday police found an arm floating in the canal, a spokesperson said. This was a bit further up from where the body part was found on Monday.

The police are investigating whether both are parts of the same body. The lower body section had been in the canal for some time.

[Copyright Expatica News + ANP 2007]

TAK
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby TAK » Thu Mar 08, 12:55 pm

The police boats came by the Korte Prinsengracht today. They were looking in all the nooks and crannies. They didn't find anything. I would prefer they keep all the body parts on the Herengracht.

Dag
TAK

PS// Holly didn't mean it when she said she wasn't canoeing the canals again.

smokedpeppers
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby smokedpeppers » Thu Mar 08, 2:04 pm

holly265 wrote:My canoeing days on the canals might be over. This was in the news today.

POLICE FIND BODY PARTS IN CANAL
7 March 2007

AMSTERDAM The police found several body parts in the Herengracht canal in Amsterdam on Monday and Tuesday.
[Copyright Expatica News + ANP 2007]

anybody heard from our friend that lives on the Herengracht ??????
Last edited by smokedpeppers on Thu Mar 08, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby LastHamlet » Thu Mar 08, 2:30 pm

Dam, that was an incredible adventure. Just when I thought my bike adventure had some degree of fright, oh no, this tops that by leaps and bounds. Complete with pictures and all, and maps to boot. That map that shows the entire route, wow, simply amazing. Many Thanks. I would actually consider doing this venture, it sounds awesome. BTW, how many are staying at Tak's boat in April??? Sounds like a wondrous place to be.
Many Thanks for sharing SmokedPeppers, Many Thanks Indeed.
LH

smokedpeppers
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby smokedpeppers » Thu Mar 08, 7:16 pm

LastHamlet wrote:Dam, that was an incredible adventure. Just when I thought my bike adventure had some degree of fright, oh no, this tops that by leaps and bounds. Complete with pictures and all, and maps to boot. That map that shows the entire route, wow, simply amazing. Many Thanks. I would actually consider doing this venture, it sounds awesome. BTW, how many are staying at Tak's boat in April??? Sounds like a wondrous place to be.
Many Thanks for sharing SmokedPeppers, Many Thanks Indeed.
LH

appreciate it LH, ty!......when the deal goes down, you don't really fathom it, it's when you start typing the story becomes more real

Hobie
super power poster
super power poster

BuLL stict

Postby Hobie » Fri Mar 09, 5:50 pm

shlo wrote:I tried kayaking in Providence was. I was instantaneously made ill by the waste in the water. I don't imagine that it's much different in Amsterdam.

Horse HocKey ......... remember the providence river is 1/2 salt water as its directly linked to the ocean .... also with " save the Bay " all the body parts have been re-cylced and we no longer poop in our H2O
btw try Grits & green bud .... Yummy !

NICE REPORT SmoKed Peppers ........... I would think not many Canoes on The Grachten .... like blue jeans , one may stick out as American , NOT that theirs anything wrong with that !

Johannes
super poster
super poster

Postby Johannes » Sat Mar 10, 10:23 pm

smokedpeppers wrote:dig it, how container will travel...C and I's pleaser "as well" meeting you and H

Yeah, Lady J and I both enjoyed meeting you and Lady S! Now I just hope that Tak and his better half will some day take us canoeing in the Ij. That has to be wild!

J

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby uk*bag*lady » Sat Mar 10, 11:29 pm

holly265 wrote:. Perhaps our visitors in April would like to paddle with us - what do you think, UKBL?

Holly the only boats I've ever been on are cross Channel ferries and Amsterdam canal tour boats! Do you think we could do it?

We did have a boat once as we live on the River Avon but mr*bag*lady decided boating wasn't for him when he failed to locate the handbrake on it the very first time we used it!

:-)

TAK
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby TAK » Sun Mar 11, 12:45 am

Johannes wrote:
smokedpeppers wrote:dig it, how container will travel...C and I's pleaser "as well" meeting you and H

Yeah, Lady J and I both enjoyed meeting you and Lady S! Now I just hope that Tak and his better half will some day take us canoeing in the Ij. That has to be wild!

J

Hey J & Lady J,
Any time we are all in town together. Though a canoe trip to the upper Amstel might be interesting

uk*bag*lady wrote:
holly265 wrote:. Perhaps our visitors in April would like to paddle with us - what do you think, UKBL?

Holly the only boats I've ever been on are cross Channel ferries and Amsterdam canal tour boats! Do you think we could do it?

We did have a boat once as we live on the River Avon but mr*bag*lady decided boating wasn't for him when he failed to locate the handbrake on it the very first time we used it!

:-)

LOL! No pressure Mr&MrsUKBL The offer stands if you want to see Amsterdam from another view. But you know Amsterdam better than most of us anyway.

Looking forward to,,, April in Amsterdam.......:::::""""":::://:::.... Why hasn't somebody written a song about that?

Dag
TAK

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”