dapoopa in A-Dam February 5 update

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

dapoopa
power poster
power poster

dapoopa in A-Dam February 5 update

Postby dapoopa » Thu Feb 06, 2:17 pm

Well I finally made it to Amsterdam - back after a one-year absence. After weeks of insufferable waiting, I flew out of Moscow Tuesday afternoon and into a very foggy Amsterdam. Schipol appeared to be on the verge of being closed the weather was so bad, and I felt lucky my flight wasn't delayed or heaven forbid cancelled. So kudos to KLM for getting me here on time. I grabbed a taxi after clearing immigration, but in hindsight it would have been better to take the train to Central Station and then a tram to my hotel, the NH Schiller on Rembrandtplein. As it turned out, the ride was slowed to a crawl and lasted well over on hour as it alternated between rain and hail outside. The bill came to 55 euros (again, good thing I wasn't picking up the bill). Then the cab driver dropped me off on the wrong side of the square, in front of the NH Caransa. Had to lug my bag across to the correct hotel without an umbrella (grrrr) but I eventually checked in.
Although I had planned on heading up to the Dam and getting some smoking implements at The Old Man, the weather and my tired, hungry and slightly sick condition forced me to stick close to the hotel. Luckily I found a head shop just down the street and a helpful sales guy. I picked out a nice bong. Although expensive at 40 euros, my lungs now thank me, and I can leave it with my friend this time instead of having to toss it out before leaving. I also bought a mini blow-torch lighter (nice!), the 2003 Amsterdam Coffeeshop Guide (see http://www.smokersguide.com for further details) then asked the sales guy about Coffeeshop Smokey which, as it turns out, is right next to my hotel. He said avoid the place, as it was more of a tourist location than anything else. He then told me to just go around the corner and look for The Bush Doctor or the Rokerij III. I have read good things about both places. So I go down the alley next to Burger King, exit and look to the right, and there it is! The famed Bush Doctor! Or at least one of their locations (I subsequently read that there are now two locations, not sure if this is the main one or not). The shop was extremely small, even smaller than Grey Area (if that's indeed possible). There was nobody inside except for the dealer, who was quick to show me two laminated menus. One had indica on the left, sativa on the right, and about 8 choices in each column. The flip side had blond and black hash, again about 6-8 selections listed in two columns. Menu two was all of their ice-o-lator selections, although I held off for the time being.
Their bags of weed are all pre-packaged and weigh 2 grams. The dealer had them all tagged and hanging from a key-chain for easy identification and access. Now don't ask me why (maybe it was the music), but this shop and the guy working there gave me the impression of a 'urban street-dealer' theme. But in a good way. I like coffeeshops with character. Although I only wanted one gram to start, I said what the heck and asked for a bag of Shiva. He said they were out, so I then asked for some Blueberry. He said yeah - they had it. Then I asked for a gram of Konig Hassan (light) hash. The two grams of weed came to 15.50 euros and the hash was 11.25 euros. Music was some kind of urban hip-hop, but it didn't matter since I wasn't staying there. Instead, I had to get back to my hotel for a little smoke and rest. When I got back I fired up a nice bong hit of blueberry, and WOW! That stuff was some mighty powerful smoke! The resin was plentiful and just sticking to my fingers as I packed the bong. This herb was very impressive and well-cured. Naturally, given my zero-tolerance, one hit was enough for me. In short, my exhaustion combined with the weather had me asleep early that night.
Next morning I was up early and on a train to the Hague to take care of some visa business at the Russian consulate. I was forced to wait outside for an hour in the raw weather (which was better by that time, but still uncomfortably damp and windy). Then it took me 30-40 minutes inside before I got the check to pick up my visa on Friday morning. Suddenly very tired once again, I got back on the train to Amsterdam, then back to my hotel. After a bit more of the blueberry, I spent the afternoon walking around the Pijp area and then the red-light district up near the Old Church. Even got hassled by an Indian guy for walking into his newspaper shop to quickly look at a map. I then offered to buy the map, but the angry, suspicious jerk wouldn't even let me do that. Instead he just glared at me, so I left. What a prick. After checking out SexyLand (ugh) I went back to the hotel for some food (Burger King) and watching Colin Powell address the UN Security Council. Very cool to be able to watch CNN international from the hotel room as well as their (ahem) pay-per-view selections.
Today, I spent the morning basically resting, then made a couple of phone calls. I meet up with an old friend this evening at 5 PM, and I plan on getting together with fellow Channelites patrick and vermeer at De Kuil tomorrow night at 8 PM. Don't know I'm heading this evening, but that's one of the great things about Amsterdam. Not having any plans, but knowing that you'll find something cool to do anyway.

I'll write another trip report when I find some time, so until then you all take it easy.

dapoopa

buckofive
power poster
power poster

Postby buckofive » Thu Feb 06, 3:13 pm

Great first day report. I am sure that there will be quite a few people who will want more of the same.

Keep up the good work!

buckofive

BTW What do you think of the NH Schiller? It was the first hotel I ever stayed at in the Netherlands and I had a great room overlooking the square. I was saved by the fact that it was so close to Escape, I got way to stronken there and had to stagger back to my room before my flight. If it were any farther away I would hav missed my plane home...

dapoopa
power poster
power poster

Second update - dapoopa in A-Dam

Postby dapoopa » Fri Feb 07, 3:01 pm

After logging off yesterday I rested up back at the Schiller, which is a sister-hotel of the Krasnapolsky, where I stayed last February. The Kras is five stars and the Schiller four, but the hallways and rooms looked virtually the same. Some minor differences, however. The room service was less than generous with the soap and the shower curtain wasn't enough to keep water from running over a good deal of the floor, but it is still a very nice hotel at a reasonable price. Great location too - I didn't realize how many stores are located right down the street.
At 5 PM I waited outside in the still-damp weather for my old friend, who lives just several blocks down from Rembrandtplein. Our first stop was the Rokerij III, which is just down the street from the Bush Doctor. This is another very small shop, with the dealer down a very steep flight of stairs (no, I didn't fall) in a booth. The murals on the walls upstairs are rather interesting, lending the place what I would best describe as a 'Byzantine church' aura. Funny though, I don't remember that Byzantine-era artisans incorporated pot leafs into their murals (lol). Their menu was well-sized, and on a lark I chose the (bio) Rokerij Special, 2 grams for 12 euros. My friend and I returned upstairs, bought drinks and some Rizlas, then took a seat and twisted one. The smoke was tasty and gave us a good buzz that carried our conversation for a good while, then we headed back to his apartment. After checking out his laptop and nice nylon string guitar, we hit a local Indian restaurant. The food was tasty, but a bit overpriced considering the size of the portions. But we had a nice time regardless. Then my friend suggested pool, and said the best place to go play and smoke was none other than (!) Smokey's Coffeehouse.
Again, Smokey's is *right* next to my hotel so I said sure. Inside, the place was definitely a non-descript, typical bar with the exception that it sold weed and hash. A group of young tourists was sitting there, when I noticed that a guy was holding this girl who was obviously intoxicated. Then I noticed that she had in fact *puked* on the floor, and then had to be led out of the place. The bartender quckly responded with some newspaper to cover the mess, but the damage had been done. (My friend asked if I had actually seen her puke, but thankfully I had not.)
The music there was also just terrible and quite loud, especially near the pool tables where we were playing. The guy was playing lots of Christine Aguilera (uh, bartender, did we really have to hear Christine's entire CD?) and other cheesy disco stuff. On the other hand, the pool tables were actually very nice, albeit a bit cramped, and we played a best-of-seven match of eight ball (for those interested in the outcome, I came back from being down 2-0 to win the final and deciding seventh game ;-). Both my friend and I had to retire early, so we called it quits relatively early at 10:30.
This morning I was up at 7 AM to catch another train to The Hague. After a minor scare at the consulate, I picked up my passport and brand spanking-new Russian visa and headed back to Central Station. Just got back and over to Easy Everthing to type this message. Tonight I meet up with fellow Channelites patrick, his wife and vermeer at De Kuil at 8 PM. I also received a private message on the new channels board from buckofive, and we may indeed get together as well before I leave Sunday morning. I'll keep you posted. Still having an amazing time here, should update once last time tomorrow.

dapoopa
power poster
power poster

added detail about Rokerij III

Postby dapoopa » Fri Feb 07, 3:08 pm

Forgot to mention a couple minor details about Rokerij III. The atmosphere and music was chilled, and they even played some vintage Hendrix (Could This Be Love?). There were about four small black tables with benches on one side and low chairs on the other. Each table had a candle burning at the center, and this accented the ambience nicely. Maybe I'll check out the main Rokerij on Leidseplein this evening before hitting De Kuil.

I should also mention that I made a major stoner move and left my scarf there when I left. Luckily, it was still hanging there when I returned over two hours later, so my karma was evidently good last evening at this nice little coffeeshop around the corner.

dapoopa
power poster
power poster

dapoopa in A-Dam, third report, February 8

Postby dapoopa » Sat Feb 08, 11:37 am

Wow, hard to believe I actually made it to the Easy Internet cafe by 11 AM to type in the second-to-last part of my trip report. I say wow because I didn't get back to my hotel room until after 1:30 AM last night. After watching three quarters of the Lakers blowing out the Knicks, at around 8:30 last night my friend Doug and I walked from Rembrandtsplein along a very scenic side route all the way to De Kuil, which is halfway up the Damrak on the left (Oudebrugsteeg) as you walk towards CS. I had arranged to meet up there with Patrick, his wife and vermeer at 8 PM, but was a bit delayed and didn't arrive until about 9 PM. I didn't see them at first, but after walking back towards the pool table and microscope I spotted them. De Kuil serves alcohol, so my friend bought a round of beers while I stuck to the coca-coca. Believe me, the herbal medication was all I needed.
Soon after we arrived the table opened up and I started playing pool with Patrick. I noticed they had a halfway decent selection of pool cues, so I exchanged the one I was using for a much shorter model. This proved to be key, as I proceeded to win maybe 5 of my next 6 games, including back-to-back defeats of a couple of Irish guys who wanted to move in on our table, but had to beat me first. Also, all that play the night before at Coffeeshop Smokey must have gotten me back into the groove. Honestly, it was probably my best night of pool-playing since my college days, so I was feeling good.
Patrick got up and bought some Knockout and Cali Mist and also shared some of his Grey Mist in a little wooden pipe. Later in the evening my friend's friend, who showed up rather unexpectedly around 10 PM, offered us some red lebanon hash in the pipe. Thankully I managed to build up my tolerance decently this trip, or else these great herbs would have put me under the table. I had to get up from time to time to get the blood flowing, and all that pool playing must have helped. When smoking this stuff you can get major chair-lock syndrome and feel like you're slowly becoming part of the floor.
I had heard a lot about the decent music De Kuil plays, and I did hear liberal sprinklings of Hendrix, Zappa and other 'classic rock' bands, but they really should put some speakers down near the pool area. It was hard at times to hear what was being played, and this situation only got worse as the night progressed. But we had great fun checking out some kali mist under the microscope, the THC crystals were all over the bud. Totally amazing thing to look at. I saw two vaporizer bases on the table, but the rest of the contraption wasn't to be seen. I guess you have to ask the dealer to set it up for you, which I unfortunatley didn't.
Earlier in the day I had received a private message through the channels board from buckofive, who expressed an interest in getting together, and I told him where I'd be. Lo and behold in he strolls, and it tuns out he already knows vermeer for a year or two already. So in just a short amount of time we had a nice little channelite get-together happening, which just goes to show how powerful the internet can be as a tool for socializing. My friend seemed particularly interested in channels and how such a gathering could come about. So the night was an unqualified success.
Today, I might just end up at the Rokerij in Leidseplein, maybe Abraxis. Really should check those places out. I have some shopping to do as well, but there are plenty of stores down here at Rembrandtsplein and I shouldn't have to look too long to find what I need. Today is my last day here, so a bit of sadness, but Sunday morning still seems a long time from now. I'll write a concluding report after I return to Moscow tomorrow

buckofive
power poster
power poster

Postby buckofive » Sat Feb 08, 3:31 pm

Thanks for another great post. It was great to meet you last night. Unfortunately for me I happened to meet you on the night that your pool form returns... I would really like to have a rematch the next time you are in town.

It was a shame that I had to leave so early, but my friend's birthday was fantastic, with quitte a lively afterparty. As a matter of fact, I got back to my flat at 15:00 this afternoon...

Anyway I'm looking forward to another post with you final days details.

Cheers,

buckofive

BlueBerry
super power poster
super power poster

Postby BlueBerry » Sun Feb 09, 8:33 pm

Thanks for the field report dapoopa, look forward to the rest when you get home:))

Hope you have a safe trip back from paradise!

BlueBerry

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Obviously a "poser"

Postby Bohannon » Mon Feb 10, 2:22 am

Only kidding, only kiddling, LOL But a guy from Moscow complaining about Amsterdam weather in February? A bit suspicious I would say. Very nice reports, I thank you very much. You might try the Rookies for pool, they have a decent table, some room and the music usually doesn't suck too bad. PAX

hank
power poster
power poster

Postby hank » Mon Feb 10, 7:43 am

Dapoopa, it was great reading your trip report, I spent a bit of time at DeKuil myself 2 and3 yrs ago, I had a great time also. Man does it make me homesick for the Dam. Thanks for the good info..

dapoopa
power poster
power poster

dapoopa in A-Dam - final update

Postby dapoopa » Mon Feb 10, 1:36 pm

Whew...what an unbelievable five days in Amsterdam that was! Just got back to Moscow yesterday. Now I have to figure out how and when to get back to Amsterdam, but I have a feeling the wait will be less than one year this time around!
So after sending my last update on Saturday I went to Dam Square to do some obligatory shopping at De Bijenkorf. The prices were, well, rather high, but that probably has more to do with the weak dollar than any greediness on the part of the store owners. Then it was back to the Schiller for some much-needed rest before phoning my friend up to figure out where to go my last night in town. I suggested we check out Abraxas, which was about a 20 minute walk from Rembrandtplein. When we got there we bought a pre-rolled pure weed joint of White Widow x Skunk. I heard the third floor of this place was pretty cool, but when we got there it was already filled with people chilling out on a Saturday night. So we returned to the second floor just in time to see a big group of maybe 15 people up and leave. We promptly grabbed a table and smoked a bit before deciding to keep moving. Abraxas is nicely furnished inside with a positive, chilled atmosphere, but the multi-tiered layout tends to interfere with socializing somewhat.
My friend knew how to get to the Dampkring, and I always wanted to check that place out, so we headed out and arrived there within about 10 minutes. The place wasn't packed, as I was afraid it might be, but it was full. We were able to grab a single stool at the bar and order a couple drinks. I ogled at the six Cannabis Cup trophies prominently displayed on the wall and told my friend about the reputation this place has for top shelf herb and hash. Plenty of people came in and out to buy their wares while we were working on the pre-rolled spliff. Since I was leaving in the morning I didn't buy anything, but I'll be back next time. My friend again wanted to play some pool, so we headed back to Coffeeshop Smokey. Inside it was once again a really lame scene, typical overcrowded bar on a Saturday night with no pool tables open. We exited the place faster than we entered. With little choice left of where to go in the immediate area, we walked by The Bush Doctor but my friend wasn't too impressed after looking inside. So we ended up again at Rokerij III. There we finished most of the dooby and struck up a conversation with this guy from Cincinnati after he heard me talking about the grind core band Cannibal Corpse. We spent a good 45 minutes talking with this guy, who told us all about his wife from Uganda (!), and then had to split since it was getting late (I had to be up a 6 AM the next morning to catch my flight). At the hotel I gave my friend what was left of my stash and the bong I had purchased then bid my farewell.
The next morning was sad, as it was leaving day, but frankly my body was relieved. Partying like that for five days straight, even with no alcohol, is a taxing experience. The ride to the airport early Sunday was predictably fast, and customs gave me zero hassle (not that I was bringing any 'souvineers' home mind you). The flight home on KLM was uneventful and I passed through Russian customs no problem, thereby completing the mission I had set out upon five days previously.
Had a stupendous time in Amsterdam this time - it was by far the best experience I've had there yet. I'm already envious of all those of you heading there this spring and summer. Hope to get together with buckofive, vermeer, patrick and any other channelites I may run into next time. The Channels board is one of the best places on the net for the Amsterdam afficionado. Glad to write this trip report for all of you, as I have enjoyed those written before me.

dapoopa

meddy
participating
participating

dapoopas trip reports

Postby meddy » Tue Feb 11, 1:40 am

Great report dapoopa,
Sounds like you had a great time.
I have one question...are you an American living in Russia, or are you from Russia?
It sounds (from your writing) that you are origanally from the usa, or maybe canada.
If so, I would love to hear about how you managed to make the move...
If not... Tot ziens! Thanks for the report!
-meddy

Robert
participating
participating

Postby Robert » Tue Feb 11, 3:45 am

Thanks for taking the time to share your holiday with the forum. It was greatly appreciated.

dapoopa
power poster
power poster

I am American, but living in Moscow

Postby dapoopa » Tue Feb 11, 11:11 am

In reply to your question, I am an American (grew up in New York) but have been living in Moscow for a few years and work for a Russian bank. It's a long story how I ended up here (I did tell some of it to buckofive, patrick and vermeer at De Kuil last Friday night), but in short I concentrated on Russian language, politics and economics in graduate school and met my future wife in Moscow back in 1993. Having a native-speaking girlfriend is easily the best motivation to learn a language, and I managed to find work in the financial sector by hook and crook. Again, it's a long story best told face-to-face, preferably in a nice coffeeshop somewhere. Hopefully we'll get that chance sometime.

Glad you appreciate my trip reports, again I had a fun time writing them. And I'll write some more next time I'm in town. I'm already trying to figure out when that will be, and I only got home two days ago!

excitableone
power poster
power poster

Postby excitableone » Tue Feb 11, 12:25 pm

very nice reports dapoopa, makes me that much more motivated to go this march..thanks. peace~

patrick

great report

Postby patrick » Thu Feb 13, 6:41 pm

glad to hear you made it home safe........thanks for taking time out of your vacation to meet me. i am so sorry i did not get the dealer at de kuil to show you the vaporizer, i got wasted on it many times............peace.............patrick

dapoopa
power poster
power poster

vaporizer

Postby dapoopa » Fri Feb 14, 10:06 am

Patrick,
It was very nice meeting you and your wife. The vaporizer at De Kuil would have been cool, but I'll get a crack at it next time I'm in town. At least we got to check out the crystals through the microscope. That was very interesting.
At this point I'm looking at maybe returning in late summer. Anyway, the Grey Mist and Knockout you offered me had me buzzing quite enough as is. The buzz the Grey Mist gives is just so unmistakable - I remembered it from an entire year ago. Just awesome herb.

So hope you see you again in The Promised Land.

Take care, dapoopa

Banks
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Banks » Tue Aug 07, 2:29 am

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Tue Aug 07, 5:03 am

Thanks Banks!

TrekknHil
super power poster
super power poster

Postby TrekknHil » Tue Aug 07, 3:32 pm

Yes, thanks Banks

viking
super power poster
super power poster

Postby viking » Tue Aug 07, 5:47 pm

Damn, and here I though buckofive and dapoopa were
posting again. Until I read the posting dates.

bigbird
super poster
super poster

Postby bigbird » Mon Aug 13, 3:46 am

I made the same mistake.

patrick

Postby patrick » Wed Sep 12, 4:49 pm

yes, that was back when channels was not so full of hate.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Wed Sep 12, 4:51 pm

(((((((((((((Patrick))))))))))))))))

Welcome back man

Peace

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”