Final day of my quickie trip to A'dam.

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

dannymac
mega power poster
mega power poster

Final day of my quickie trip to A'dam.

Postby dannymac » Wed Jul 16, 3:53 am

Well, here's my rambling account of my last day, sorry if it's a bit verbose.

Sunday morning and my last day in the Dam. This visit was too Dam short, but then again – if it wasn’t for SARS, a war, and bad economies I probably wouldn’t have been able to make the trip at all.
SuZe, Steve, LastHamlet and myself had made plans to meet at the Noon at 10am, then rent bikes and go for a ride (just like my wife, BlueBerry isn’t the bike riding type – BB must be spoiled with all her ATV’ing through the woods of SC), Since I’m once again up early, I roll a number and take a short walk to the little park down the street and enjoy a morning buzz. Once finished I head back over for breakfast and checkout. My pre-trip research ( http://www.sleepinginairports.net/europe/amsterdam.htm ) indicated that Schiphol is one of the better airports to spend a night in, so I didn’t book my room for the final night. The hotel accommodates me by allowing me to store my one bag for most of the day.
I still have a little time on my hand so I head towards the Leidseplein for an early morning look see. It’s fairly dead at this hour and it looks like our house does, the morning after a party. The only difference being we don’t have any street cleaners to clean up the mess.
I see the Bulldog is open and since I’ve always wanted to take a peek inside this particular one, I decide to. It’s probably the only chance I’ll have to smoke some herb in a police station (even if a former one) and I kind of like the novelty of it. So I order me up some coffee, take a seat, and enjoy another number. Now I know we all denigrate the Bulldogs as places only curious straight tourists and novices frequent, but as I’m sitting here I notice several characters of local flavor show up to buy herb and chat with the bouncer (why they need a bouncer at 9am I’ll never know) and they appear to be regulars.
After a bit I head on over to the Noon to wait for everyone else. Thankfully it’s open and I grab me some blueberry and begin rolling another number. Before I finish rolling, SuZe and Steve show up. We smoke and hang out for a bit waiting for LastHamlet but he never shows up, so off we go to the MacBike agency at Max Euweplein were we rent 3 standard bikes (all ‘ladies’ style BTW), get our briefing, and a map with directions for their self guided ‘Amstel-Windmill Tour’. Off we go on our little adventure.
We head directly for the Amstel and hang a right, heading south out of the city. It’s not long before the bike path separates from the roadway and we no longer have to share the road with vehicular traffic.
This is a nice ride that enters the ‘countryside’ in short order. A few miles upriver and we come upon our 1st windmill, the de Rieker, built in 1636 but now a home for some Amsterdam family. Just out front is Rembrandt gazing across the river. I guess he’s watching the sculling that we see going on, reminiscent of the rowers practicing on the Schuylkill river in Philadelphia (only prettier scenery here). We stop for some pictures and then continue on.
Eventually we decide it’s time to smoke a number and stop at some sort of dredging facility. There’s a little canal that feeds into the place and a mechanism that reaches down and scoops up debris that’s trapped. The mechanism then moves above a cart and dumps its load, only to start the cycle again.
Well, it turns out our little resting place is some sort of crossroad also and we decide to pick another spot to smoke.
A little further we spot a bench with a nice view of another windmill across the river. We sit and smoke and watch the ducks and scullers. Once finished we head off to Ouderkern aan de Amstel, an even older village than Amsterdam. We stop for a bite to eat before heading back downriver on the other side. We’ve now put about 4 miles on the bikes.
It’s a good thing Steve has his GPS device on him because we somehow get lost as we enter Amsterdam proper. We must have gotten sidetracked along a major canal instead of staying along the banks of the Amstel.
We 1st find ourselves in a fairly new looking commercial zone, and then in a rundown industrial area which includes the Amsterdam Hells Angels ‘Clubhouse’ & gated property.
We eventually find a major road and Steve heads us in the right direction. Before long we make it to the ‘skinny bridge’ very near to where SuZe and Steve are staying. They take me to the Greenhouse Namaste coffeeshop where we once again smoke a number. This is a nice cozy place with a mellow feel to it.
We still have a bit of time before the bikes need to be returned so we now head over to Vondelpark where an outdoor concert is already in progress.
After returning our bikes and saying our goodbyes I get my bag and head to Centraal Station by way of the RLD.
Since I already had permission from the wife, I was going to try a window girl tonight (she actually suggested it on our 1st trip to A’dam, but I never consummated the deal).
The pre-trip research is half the fun of these trips, and I came prepared. From the ignatzmice website I had a list of 3 highly rated ladies and I even had a map (ignatzmice had posted the maps just a day before I left the States). On my initial pass though, all three ladies were either busy or not working , so it was off to the Coffeeshop BaBa for a drink and a smoke.
I was out of smoke by this time and decided to just buy a pre-rolled. Unfortunately, all they had were mixed joints but I bought one anyway. As I’ve mentioned before, I have no tolerance for the tobacco and it only takes a couple puffs before my head is spinning, so I put the joint out, wait for the spinning to stop, and see if any of the ladies are available yet. No luck though.
I lock my bag at the Centraal Station and once again try my luck. And lucky I am. Sandra is available and she’s a gorgeous young lady of about 23. At my age it’s been a long time since I’ve been with a woman this young – and it was enjoyable. ‘Nuff said.
I figured I’ll try to make my flight an enjoyable one and head over to Chocolata for a couple slices of their chocolate hash cake, to be eaten in the morning. Afterwards I retrieve my bag and grab the next train to the airport.
Now from what my research told me, the best place to sleep is beyond passport control. Supposedly, with ticket in hand, security will let you through. I have no such luck though because I only have my email ticket and at 11pm Singapore Air has no agents present to issue me a real ticket. I’m stuck sleeping in the departure hall.
After trying to sleep in the uncomfortable chairs for a couple hours, I break down and use the floor with my bag as a pillow. I must not be the only one who read how nice it is to sleep over because the floor and chairs have a fair amount of people sleeping too – and no hassles from security.
Morning rolls around and activity begins. I still have ½ of the joint left so I step outside and finish it off before getting my boarding pass. Cop a nice buzz (and that spinning head sensation again) and brace myself for the flight back.
I still have my 2 slices of hash cake, so I eat one before getting on the plane and the other just after take-off. Unfortunately they don’t produce the desired effect.

So ends my quickie trip to the Dam.
Last edited by dannymac on Wed Jul 16, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

_non
power poster
power poster

Postby _non » Wed Jul 16, 4:12 am

Me likes. Me likes a lot.

Nice change of pace from the usual, hedonism lined in neon trim, travel tales spun here. Very romantic, in fact.

Can you PM me some contact info for that bike tour / rental group?

Thanx,

_non

dannymac
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby dannymac » Wed Jul 16, 4:21 am

_non wrote:Me likes. Me likes a lot.

Nice change of pace from the usual, hedonism lined in neon trim, travel tales spun here. Very romantic, in fact.

Can you PM me some contact info for that bike tour / rental group?

Thanx,

_non

Not quite sure where the 'romance' is in my story, but here's the info on MacBikes. They actually have 5 locations in the Dam. Besides their 'Amstel-Windmill' tour map, they also have one for Amsterdam proper and another for north of the city. Their website is: www.macbike.nl

moe.
super power poster
super power poster

Postby moe. » Wed Jul 16, 4:58 am

Very nice mini trip Dannymac. A lot was crammed into those few days including a record setting coffeeshop crawl. I've read a few people say they wouldn't want to do it again, does that mean it wasn't fun? Is a shorter crawl more enjoyable? Something to consider before next years major get together.
I ate a few slices of Chocolata's space cake without the desired effects too. When they found out I was going to eat all 3 slices at once I was warned not to, there was hash oil in the icing, yada yada yada. Never even a hint of a buzz. I think their space products are novelties or are for extreme lightweights. Thanks again for taking the time to post the reports.

moe.

buckofive
power poster
power poster

Postby buckofive » Wed Jul 16, 10:25 am

I have never had the space cake from Chocolata, but I can say that the bon bons do wonders. I really like the dark chocolate version that they make, one or two of those will have me ready for blastoff in short order. T:minus 10 minutes and counting...

Dannymac, it was great meeting you and I enjoyed your narratives. Despite the short duration of your trip I am sure that it was filled with long lasting memories.

Cheers!

~buckofive

TrekknHil
super power poster
super power poster

Postby TrekknHil » Wed Jul 16, 6:35 pm

Loved the trip report. You guys are daring riding bikes stoned!

I have never had any luck with any space product except 2 hash shakes from Abraxas on a totally empty stomach and that was marginal.

Pulling from another thread...
Doesn't the sugar from the cake, bonbons and such cancel out some of the effect? If that happens with smoking shouldn't the same be true here? I've always wondered about that.

The Bulldog is touristy but the dealer was honest with me, don't bother with a space cake, for lightweights only. The next day, the new dealer was telling me I would "trip" for hours. Needless to say, nothing happened to me.

capecodguy
power poster
power poster

brownies

Postby capecodguy » Thu Jul 17, 5:05 pm

Ive tried the space brownies from Abraxas on two occasions and if you eat a whole one you will definetly feel it for hours....great report

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby LastHamlet » Fri Jul 18, 5:36 am

buckofive wrote:I have never had the space cake from Chocolata, but I can say that the bon bons do wonders. I really like the dark chocolate version that they make, one or two of those will have me ready for blastoff in short order. T:minus 10 minutes and counting...

Dannymac, it was great meeting you and I enjoyed your narratives. Despite the short duration of your trip I am sure that it was filled with long lasting memories.

Cheers!

~buckofive

How goes it Buck-O-Five, I got to tell you this about the Bon Bons, I ate 4 of them from Chocolata, and nothing. A lot of other places as well, same results.
Yet, there is a channelite who makes the best dam cookies I ever ate. I would never reveal his/her name, but those things are off the charts. I kid you not, I have ate a lot of those cakes and Bon Bons in AMS, and nothing beats the cookies by the master baker we have here stateside. I have to give credit where credit is due, and there is one talented individual here who ought to be in the Nabisco business....LOL.. Well, you know what I mean... Anyhow, next trip I got to give yours a shot man. I hope all is well. I would love to have the killer view that you do. Stay there man, it just don't get any better than the view you have right out your window.

Killer Trip You had DannyMac, it was a pleasure to meet you. The 24/24 is possible. I hope all is well on the hone front. BTW, I never woke up in time the next morning to go on the Bike Tour. I stayed up the night of the crawl, just walking around till 2:00 am. Next trip, I am renting a bike for the whole time.

buckofive
power poster
power poster

Postby buckofive » Fri Jul 18, 10:51 am

Yeah, LH, be sure that you keep the I.O.U. for my super space cake. I am really embarrased, but I just ran out of time and I didn't have a chance to make it for you before you departed. Upon your next arrival, I'll have one waiting for you at my place. That way you can enjoy the view and a cake that is guaranteed to knock you socks off at the same time.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”