THE CRAWL, my perspective

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

dannymac
mega power poster
mega power poster

THE CRAWL, my perspective

Postby dannymac » Mon Jul 14, 1:36 am

Let me start by saying that I didn't keep track of what was smoked, or purchased, and where. You'll have to wait for LastHamlett's trip report for all those details. And as the day wore on, the details got fuzzier. But here it is, my trip report on the channelites June 2003 coffeeshop crawl.
Grab a beer or a joint, I consider this a rather long read:
(for the same report, but with pictures, see the following VT travelogues
http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/39c85/#TL
http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/39f6a/#TL )

June 27, 2003, our coffeeshop crawl. Thankfully I’ve always been an early riser so our 7am start time wasn’t too much trouble. I take care of 2 of the 3 ”S’s” (shaving is something I don’t do), and head out of the hotel. It’s still early enough that I decide to walk part of the way down Vijzelgracht before finally catching a tram to Centraal Station.
As I start walking down Prins Hendrik Kade toward Barney’s who do I see in front of me but BlueBerry and LastHamlet...and it looks like their asses are dragging. I guess they’re not the early riser type. I catch up and we all continue on to Barney’s. As we walk down Haarlemmerstraat we make mental notes of the many coffeeshops along the way, with a few claiming an 8am opening time. This should be fertile ground for the early morning portion of our crawl.
We reach Barney’s almost exactly at 7am, great start. We don’t see any other channelites, and the place is empty too. I decide on a cheese omelet, BB passes, and I can’t remember if/what LH ordered. But we did begin smoking. By 7:30 SuZe & Steve show up, and order something to eat too.
Barney’s lives up to its reputation and takes forever to get the food to the table. I guess that’s what happens when you forget you’ve got an omelet on the skillet (mine arrives a bit overcooked, and the cheese couldn’t have amounted to more than the thickness and size of a single wide rolling paper). I’m hungry though, and eat it all.
We eat and smoke hoping Buckofive and jahshua will show up, but neither do. As 8am rolls around we figure it’s time to hit another shop.

As we head on down the street we start noticing that the shops claiming an 8am opening……aren’t! This is going to throw a monkey wrench into our plans. Never fear though, for LastHamlet has an idea. As the Beatles said, “Why don’t we do it in the road?.” Well not right in the road, we actually park ourselves to the side of Popeye’s and start smoking what we’ve got rolled and LastHamlet uses a windowledge to begin rolling another one of his famous joints.
Right from the start I’m a bit uneasy about this, and it appears Steve is too. I always try not to be the stereotypical American tourist and from what I’ve read, we are not following proper Dutch smoking etiquette. But damn, we got a schedule to keep. As we continue smoking, I’m keeping an eye on Haarlemmerstraat for people that may be offended, but even at this hour the street is fairly empty. A few puffs is all it takes for me to relax and stop worrying.
About now we all have our backs to Haarlemmerstraat, and what rolls up on their stealth bicycles but 2 Dutch cops. Immediately, and in English(I guess they had us pegged from the getgo), they ask us what we’re doing. Of course, I just happen to have the lit joint in my hand. I turn around and palm the joint(still lit) in one motion. I stammer for a moment and they proceed to tell us we can’t be doing this out here, that we must be in a coffeeshop. I tell them that we understand, but that the joint is out. Well, that’s not good enough they want to see that it’s out, so I open my hand up to reveal the bent, extinguished joint. And with that, they leave us be!
Now the best part of the story is that LastHamlet has turned from his rolling duties to see what’s going on with a filter in his mouth and the pile of herb still on the windowledge – and the cops could care less. I suppose it was best that he had that filter in his mouth, because after the cops leave, LH tells us we should have asked them for a light to get the joint going again – ARGH. I’m not sure how well that would have gone over.
By now thankfully, more coffeeshops have opened and we head over to the Picasso. This was a nice place with an upstairs where we decide to sit. Appears to be a local hangout because everyone is speaking Dutch, and we see several people come in for their purchase and just leave. I pick up a few grams of the Picasso special and head back upstairs where we smoke and continue to chuckle about our ‘brush with the law’. After spending our allotted 45 minutes we head on over to La Grotte.
It says on the sign that La Grotte is a coffeeshop/breakfast bar. We walk in and start looking for the dealer’s corner but find none. We begin looking at each other wondering if this is a coffeeshop or a coffee shop. After the run in with the cops, we don’t want to breach any other rules of etiquette. Well, eventually BlueBerry asks the gentleman behind the counter if we can smoke and he kinda chuckles and says of course. ‘Nuff said, and light up we do. Since BlueBerry passed on breakfast at Barney’s, she orders a cheese omelet here. Good decision on her part, you could actually see the cheese in her omelet and it reached our table in a timely manner without being overcooked. It does appear that we’re the only ones toking up here and the clientele and staff all look a bit older. We didn’t get any strange looks though and go ahead and complete our task.
Now all the coffeeshops on Haarlemmerstraat appear open and we’re on a roll. It’s off to Pink Floyd for our next stop. We’re in luck because they also have an internet set-up. This is where SuZe and I post our 1st live reports of the crawl. And the smoking begins again in earnest.
After finishing up at Pink Floyd we make a courtesy call on Popeye’s which is now open. Don’t stay long though, we’ve already smoked ‘at’ this shop. On to the Door’s.
The Door’s coffeeshop has a nice canal side location with tables outside, and no signs telling us not to smoke (have noticed this trip that several shops with outdoor seating have put up signs forbidding outdoor smoking, hopefully this isn’t a trend). We grab an outside table and begin the festivities. Police presence seems to be heavy in this area, with cops on foot, bicycle, and in cars within eyeshot of our location – but they could really care less about us.
A fellow American (who lives in Amsterdam) walks up and begins conversing. Seems to be an interesting fellow and we ask him to join us. During the conversation he proceeds to try and ‘sell’ us his personal philosophy on life which was harmless and for now he’s still good company. He gives us a website to visit, but I’m not sure any of us write it down. We ask him to join us to the next shop and he does….
Which takes us to Siberie. Here we post some more on the web and smoke away the time. I really like this shop, it has a nice feel to it…..and it’s obvious that LH likes it……Siberie becomes the broadcast studio of the ‘LastHamlet Show’ for the next week and a half, many channelites manage to catch an episode or two (including myself), and BlueBerry makes a couple guest appearances too.
But it’s time to move on. We say goodbye to our guest crawler and head over to RastaBaby. The wife and I visited RastaBaby on our way to the airport on our last visit, she had a couple slices of a raspberry filled chocolate cake that still had her buzzing when we touched down in Iceland. Didn’t see any cake this time around though. I was also looking forward to some decent reggae, but it didn’t seem they were playing any reggae at all today – what a shame. Doesn’t matter, we had a mission to complete and we persevered just the same. Did our 45 minutes and moved on.
And where do we head to but ‘The Old Style’, scene of my earlier crash to the floor. I check the spot out to make sure I didn’t hurt it (the floor, not my head) and we sit ourselves down for our allotted time.
Next stop, La Canna. This place is a rather commercial (and large) operation, with a gift shop, ‘restaurant’, smart shop, pool tables and hotel included. I think a few of us grabbed a bite to eat here, but I can’t be sure – short term memory loss is getting the better of me about now.
But we eventually head off to the de Kuil. This coffeeshop I like a lot, even though it’s only my 2nd visit. Nice atmosphere inside, great view out the large picture window. We smoke a bit and then decide to do some vaporizer hits. 1st time for SuZe and Steve, but they handle them like pros. Unfortunately we have to move on, got a schedule to keep ya’ know.
And a bit of a letdown because the next shop is the Grasshopper,NWZ. on Voorburgwal. I guess the Grasshopper is a notch better than a Bulldog, but they’re both known as tourist traps. All I remember is that we smoked our smoke and left. We headed to Homegrown Fantasy just a short walk down the street. What I really remember about this shop is that they had some artwork on the walls that was essentially stylized paintings of aircraft. I just had to get some pictures because my boss is an aviation nut.
It’s about 5:30 by now and we’ve managed to match the old channelites crawl record without even hopping on a tram. We figure what better place to break the record but the noon. We walk across the street and catch the 1st available tram headed our way.
20 minutes later we’re sitting in the Noon celebrating the new record. We relax in our newfound glory for the better part of an hour. It’s been a long day, but well worth it. We make plans for biking the next day and I get a picture of the small ‘garden’ in the Noon’s bathroom. SuZe and Steve are satisfied with beating the record by one shop and head off to their accommodations. LH, BB, and myself have some energy left and decide to continue on.
Next stop, Rookies. This is a place that I’ve passed many times but never went into. I tend to like the mellower places and whenever Joan and I had walked passed Rookies it always sounded like a rowdy bar scene inside. It was still relatively early though and the place was a bit more laid back this day. We grabbed a seat, and smoked our smoke.
It was on to d’Rokerij near the Leidseplein for coffeeshop #16. This was the 1st shop the wife and I visited together and I still like it a lot. Unfortunately d’Rokerij is one of the coffeeshops that no longer allow smoking out front so we grabbed seats near the front with a view out the entrance. We sat, smoked, and tried to decide what our next shop would be.
And that shop was….Global Chillage, coffeeshop #17 and the last one that BlueBerry, LastHamlet, and I did together. I have to admit though, I didn’t find the place that great. Didn’t like the music, which was loud, and the seats were uncomfortable. Nevertheless, with watch in hand, LastHamlet didn’t allow us to leave until we stayed the required amount of time to make it official.
And there you have it, my perspective of the channels June 2003 coffeeshop crawl. Afterwards we headed over to Burger King (ugh) to grab a bite to eat and headed our separate ways. I was heading over to the Internet Coffeeshop to check some e-mail and post a channels update. I didn’t really consider it a part of the crawl. As it was, the only two machines operational had people on them so I headed back to my hotel.
I didn’t know it at the time, but BB and LH had thought I was trying to claim the record for myself by going to the Internet Coffeeshop and decided to stop by Stix to make it a tie. But you really can’t count my stop, since I didn’t stay that long – so, BlueBerry and LastHamlet hold the record at 18 shops. I’m happy with 17, but I’m sure with a slight modification of rules 24 IN 24 is quite doable.
'Till next year……………
Last edited by dannymac on Mon Jul 14, 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlueBerry
super power poster
super power poster

Postby BlueBerry » Mon Jul 14, 2:13 am

MOST EXCELLENT recount of the crawl DannyMac, high kudos to you!! I can only hope my recollection of that day will include as much detail:)) Even though it was an exhausting event, it was quite fun but I don't think I will ever attempt it again...

BlueBerry

BlueBerry
super power poster
super power poster

Re: THE CRAWL, my perspective

Postby BlueBerry » Mon Jul 14, 2:16 am

dannymac wrote:I really like this shop, it has a nice feel to it…..and it’s obvious that LH likes it……Siberie becomes the broadcast studio of the ‘LastHamlet Show’ for the next week and a half, many channelites manage to catch an episode or two (including myself), and BlueBerry makes a couple guest appearances too.

HAHAHAHAHA, I loved that part:)) LOL LOL LOL

patrick

training

Postby patrick » Mon Jul 14, 2:13 pm

great report, i am still in training, walking 10 kilometers a day smoking lots of weed and consuming nothing but fries with mayo and orange fanta, i am setting my sights in 2004 for 48 in 48......by the way early feb. might look good, late jan looks better.

TrekknHil
super power poster
super power poster

Postby TrekknHil » Mon Jul 14, 5:25 pm

I wonder if I can just go to sleep until October and wake up in Amsterdam.

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby LastHamlet » Fri Jul 18, 4:48 am

TrekknHil wrote:I wonder if I can just go to sleep until October and wake up in Amsterdam.

yyyy, yes Dorothy, click you heels together three times, and say there is no place like Home, over and over again.
Of course, a heafty load of shrooms might help...LOL
I have wishes like that Trekkn...
I am still clicking my heels, I'll get it to work eventually...HAHHA

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Ah Man.

Postby LastHamlet » Fri Jul 18, 5:06 am

DannyMac, great take man.
What a killer read.
You know them cops would have given you a light. The only reason they left is they saw who I was when I raised my head. You Know "The Crazy One" They say.
If I have to cut my eyes at the man, while rolling a 2 gram hooter with filter in teeth, all on the ledge of Popeye's, in the slight northwest wind to boot, then he only left cause he didn't have a lighter to offer.
Think about it like this.... He was raising cain about the smell and sorts. Wanted to see the extinguished joint.
Then, when his suprize, he looks around the 4 of you and saw me wrapping up what looks like a human arm size joint. Then when all of you turned back around, he was peddling off quickly.

For all you really know, I hung out with that officer the night before. when he rolled a tobacco and hash joint, I called him a whimp. I rolled one of my joints with added GA crystals, smoked it all, and then he called himself a whimp. So, when he saw who was with you, he didn't want another rematch and hit the trail. He's lucky I had that weed and paper in my hand or I would have run him down........LOL.....HAHAHAHA.
That's my story and I am sticking to it.
Last edited by LastHamlet on Fri Jul 18, 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

TrekknHil
super power poster
super power poster

Postby TrekknHil » Fri Jul 18, 5:06 am

I've started thinking in terms of "end of September." Doesn't that sound better?

dannymac
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: Ah Man.

Postby dannymac » Fri Jul 18, 2:57 pm

LastHamlet wrote:DannyMac, great take man.
What a killer read.
You know them cops would have given you a light. .............For all you really know, I hung out with that officer the night before. when he rolled a tobacco and hash joint, I called him a whimp. I rolled one of my joints with added GA crystals, smoked it all, and then he called himself a whimp. So, when he saw who was with you, he didn't want another rematch and hit the trail. He's lucky I had that weed and paper in my hand or I would have run him down........LOL.....HAHAHAHA.
That's my story and I am sticking to it.

That's why I'm anxiously awaiting the rest of your trip report.

Hey, do you think I'll have that kind of luck with any of the Sheriff's here at the conference I'm attending? LOL

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Oh No...

Postby LastHamlet » Fri Jul 18, 5:42 pm

No, I wouldn't try that in the States. I don't have any working understanding with the police in this country, regarding ghanja consumption. I believe in law and order, but that weed law is where I draw the line on stupidity. I am sorry if I have offended any US officers, but you know we live in an illusion. It's a plant for God sake, quite believing in lies you are forced to enforce. When it is just weed, turn the other cheek every now and then.
***Sorry to rant, little emotional when it comes to the ghanja.***
But, in essence, No, don't try this at Home... LOL...

Report is coming DannyMac... I'm just a slow typer...

chigusa
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: with his mouth full of teddies, jumbo's urinating seems defiant.

Postby chigusa » Sun Mar 01, 10:55 pm

those were the days.

patrick

Postby patrick » Sun Mar 01, 11:07 pm

Fuck off dim

slither
super poster
super poster

Postby slither » Sun Mar 01, 11:09 pm

chigusa wrote:those were the days.

Spring of 1997 was quite a while ago. A few years later, these posts from dannymac, LH and Blueberry locked it for me. Just after the conversion to the euro and during a time when things were still hot.

This site had meaning then. Sure, there were disagreements, banter and provocations, but there was also a joi de vivre and esprit de corps that is sorely missing today.

Now it is like a vacant lot, covered in used condoms and syringes, patrolled by a pair of frothing, rabid hyenas.

patrick

Postby patrick » Sun Mar 01, 11:12 pm

Back when trekenhill made a statement about carrying mace for protection and the board went downhill

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”