An entirely different Trip report?

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

NewYork, New York
mega power poster
mega power poster

An entirely different Trip report?

Postby NewYork, New York » Wed Oct 04, 4:03 pm

I would think that within the Channelites online community, there must be a few people who like to play golf.

Here is my trip report for one of the best days of golf I have ever had.

The day started early. I left NYC at 6:15 am by taking the 59th Street Bridge to the LIE (Long Island Expressway) to pick up my buddy in Long Island. It was an incredible start to the day. Not a cloud in the sky, a perfect 10 (unfortunately, these kinds of days bring to mind 9/11, another perfect 10 of a day, but I digress).

We were on our way to play golf at Shinnecock, in Southhampton, Long Island, one of America's preeminent golf courses. Built in 1891, several US Opens have been played at Shinnecock, the most recent being in 2004.

Arrived at the club around 9 am for a tee time of 9:30. As I was getting ready to play, I watched the foursome in front of us tee off. Each player hit the ball as if they were playing on the PGA tour, 250-300 yards in the middle of the fairway.

I was the last of my group to tee off. After watching those other tee shots, all I could think of was hitting the ball squarely and on to the fairway (The fact I am not the world's greatest golfer is an understatement).

My first tee shot was about 100 yards into the right rough. Lost ball number 1. Total shots taken 1. Teed up my second shot. About 60 yards into the right rough. Lost ball number 2. Total shots taken? (I assume most of you can add). Now don't forget, for such a horrible beginning, this was one of the best days of golf I ever had.

After the first hole, which obviously did not go well, my game started to improve. Without boring you with all of the gory details, it was a wonderful day. Great weather, good friends, and except for that first hole, I played pretty well. (for me) The highlight of my round was that on the 18th hole, I sunk a 60 yard putt for my final shot (and longest putt) of the day. Considering how the round started, it was quite an ending

After the round had lunch on the veranda overlooking the spectacular views of this wonderful golf course. The course was in impeccable shape and we never had to wait on any of our shots, even on the par 3's.

This day proved to me once again that golf is not about sports or competition. It is about good friends, having fun and not taking the game too seriously. A wonderful day that I will always remember.

GGraphics
super poster
super poster

Postby GGraphics » Wed Oct 04, 4:22 pm

I think the Red Light District Forum is a more apprporiate place to brag about your giant putts.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Wed Oct 04, 4:38 pm

GGraphics wrote:I think the Red Light District Forum is a more apprporiate place to brag about your giant putts.

~~~~~~~Spitting coffee all over myself laughing! (SCAOML)~~~~~

PaXXX

NewYork, New York
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby NewYork, New York » Wed Oct 04, 4:53 pm

GGraphics wrote:I think the Red Light District Forum is a more apprporiate place to brag about your giant putts.

Sorry GG, rarely venture into the RLD.

TAK
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: An entirely different Trip report?

Postby TAK » Wed Oct 04, 5:24 pm

NewYork, New York wrote:This day proved to me once again that golf is not about sports or competition. It is about good friends, having fun and not taking the game too seriously. A wonderful day that I will always remember.

Nice report NY,NY. This last paragraph can be said of Channels as well.

Have fun and don't take the game too seriously.

Dag
TAK

NewYork, New York
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: An entirely different Trip report?

Postby NewYork, New York » Wed Oct 04, 5:28 pm

TAK wrote:
NewYork, New York wrote:This day proved to me once again that golf is not about sports or competition. It is about good friends, having fun and not taking the game too seriously. A wonderful day that I will always remember.

Nice report NY,NY. This last paragraph can be said of Channels as well.

Have fun and don't take the game too seriously.

Dag
TAK

You are correct Sir!

I always try not to take the political forum seriously Tak, that would be a BIG MISTAKE.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Wed Oct 04, 5:38 pm

I agree with Sam Clemens "Golf; a good walk ruined"

PaXXX

NewYork, New York
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby NewYork, New York » Wed Oct 04, 6:16 pm

BOhannon wrote:I agree with Sam Clemens "Golf; a good walk ruined"

PaXXX

Actually Bo, I have to tell you Sam and you have it all wrong.

Golf isn't about the game of golf. Golf is the excuse to be able to have the chance to spend 4-5 hours with your closest friends without interruption.

bigbird
super poster
super poster

Postby bigbird » Wed Oct 04, 7:00 pm

NewYork, New York wrote:
BOhannon wrote:I agree with Sam Clemens "Golf; a good walk ruined"

PaXXX

Actually Bo, I have to tell you Sam and you have it all wrong.

Golf isn't about the game of golf. Golf is the excuse to be able to have the chance to spend 4-5 hours with your closest friends without interruption.
I hear ya.The same reason I like to fish.

koopa
super power poster
super power poster

Postby koopa » Thu Oct 05, 1:03 am

I'll have to remember this for future reference so I don't get confused.....

giant putts = ny,ny
giant putz = ny,ny 2

sidhe333
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby sidhe333 » Thu Oct 05, 1:52 am

good one GG and koopa!

s:.

mark1
super poster
super poster

Postby mark1 » Thu Oct 05, 12:30 pm

New York, New York, you lucky, lucky man. What I'd give to play at Shinnecock Hills.....or Pebble Beach or Augusta National.......I could go on and on.
I am afflicted by the same disease as you by the sounds.

You sound like you had a great day.
How were the greens NY? - as quick as they look on the TV?
And the course length? Were you playing it at anything close to the championship distance?

A few frinds and I have applied to play the Old Course at St. Andrews in summer '07.......sat here waiting for the letter confirming (or otherwise) right now.

I've often been tempted to take my clubs to Holland just for the experience.

NewYork, New York
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby NewYork, New York » Thu Oct 05, 3:43 pm

mark1 wrote:New York, New York, you lucky, lucky man. What I'd give to play at Shinnecock Hills.....or Pebble Beach or Augusta National.......I could go on and on.
I am afflicted by the same disease as you by the sounds.

You sound like you had a great day.
How were the greens NY? - as quick as they look on the TV?
And the course length? Were you playing it at anything close to the championship distance?

A few frinds and I have applied to play the Old Course at St. Andrews in summer '07.......sat here waiting for the letter confirming (or otherwise) right now.

I've often been tempted to take my clubs to Holland just for the experience.

Mark1, you do know your golf.

The greens were not that fast, (they let the grass grow after the 2004 Open). I don't know if you recall, but the green on the 6th hole at the 2004 Open was literally impossible! I was at that Open and the green looked like a brown piece of glass. This was the green that they had to water down after the first couple of guys who played it got a 6!

I had a par on the 6th hole. ( I didn't tee off from the back tees and the green held my tee shot).

Anyway, the one thing I loved about Shinnecock is that the greens were perfect, it was like putting on a pool table. Once you chose your line and hit the ball it never veered one centimeter off the line. I had never putted on such perfect greens before and I have played on several nice golf courses in my time.

Regarding the length, no we did not hit from the back tees. Had we done so it would have been a much more difficult round of golf.
Regarding St. Andrews, I will be going to Edinburgh Scotland with my wife for Thanksgiving (with a one day stopover in AMS, yippee!). I am planning on taking a day trip to St. Andrews to visit the town and the old course. I am not planning on playing this time, but I read that there is a miniature golf course in town that is a replica of the old course.

I hope to play St. Andrews, potentially in 2007 as well with my friends. Right now, it is a toss up between Scotland and Ireland.

I have read there are several golf courses in Holland, but have never looked into it. If you ever do play in Holland, please file a trip report and let us know how the experience was.

mark1
super poster
super poster

Postby mark1 » Thu Oct 05, 4:20 pm

Thanks for the response NY, NY.
You are right about the very top courses and the greens they produce.

Good luck with your plans for Scotland/Ireland......I've played in both countries and there are some absolute gems in either.
Let me know if you need some course reviews and I'll gladly send you a bunch of stuff.
If your trip comes off.....make sure you plan in some links golf. This, as I'm sure you know can be a very different type of game.....and it has helped me develop a lot as a golfer.

Happy swinging.

NewYork, New York
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby NewYork, New York » Thu Oct 05, 4:24 pm

mark1 wrote:Thanks for the response NY, NY.
You are right about the very top courses and the greens they produce.

Good luck with your plans for Scotland/Ireland......I've played in both countries and there are some absolute gems in either.
Let me know if you need some course reviews and I'll gladly send you a bunch of stuff.
If your trip comes off.....make sure you plan in some links golf. This, as I'm sure you know can be a very different type of game.....and it has helped me develop a lot as a golfer.

Happy swinging.

Mark1,

Send me whatever you have available. I am in the early planning stages. My group seems to be leaning towards Ireland. What would be most helpful is golf coursed you liked (of course) as well as hotels or B & B's you stayed in, transportation to and from, favorite pubs, etc.

I also always ask people, "What was the single best thing you liked about your trip?"

Any information is greatly appreciated.

mark1
super poster
super poster

Postby mark1 » Fri Oct 06, 9:58 am

Hey NY, NY - will sort out what I have over the weekend for you.

NewYork, New York
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby NewYork, New York » Fri Oct 06, 4:07 pm

mark1 wrote:Hey NY, NY - will sort out what I have over the weekend for you.

No Rush Mark, whenever you are able to send it to me is fine by me.

Dano
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Dano » Fri Oct 06, 7:35 pm

Golf and fly fishing are elitist sports

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Fri Oct 06, 8:36 pm

Dano wrote:Golf and fly fishing are elitist sports

Yes, and after whuppin' your sorry arses 3 Ryder Cups in a row we know who the "elite" are, don't we? LOL

Peace, Des.

Dano
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Dano » Sat Oct 07, 2:32 pm

Des wrote:we know who the "elite" are, don't we?

Didn't you brits invent snotty rich folks?

No surprise there

smokedpeppers
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby smokedpeppers » Sun Oct 08, 7:18 pm

that ''little white ball'' subject to have a mind-of-it's-own

nice report NYNY

TheGreySpider
super poster
super poster

Postby TheGreySpider » Sun Oct 08, 10:35 pm

NewYork, New York wrote:I hope to play St. Andrews, potentially in 2007 as well with my friends. Right now, it is a toss up between Scotland and Ireland.

Tough call. You could always dodge the issue, and go to both - it doesn't take long or cost much to get to one from the other, either by ferry or air. Budget about EUR 100 max to fly to/from either and back.

smokedpeppers
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby smokedpeppers » Sun Oct 08, 11:14 pm

funny golf story i know to be true

the Arkansas Chapter of the Highway Hero Program (drive a drunk home) sponsored a golf tournament, therefore they encouraged the all the local "media outlets" to enter teams, well seems a "program director" and his side-kick from one of the larger radio stations, got all shit-faced and put their cart down over a bank, had a injury, never seen such a scramble to hush a story up, lol

mark1
super poster
super poster

Postby mark1 » Mon Oct 09, 3:31 pm

You can get started for way less than the cost of a couple of guns?
16 hundred wasn't it??

LaTristesseDurera
super power poster
super power poster

Postby LaTristesseDurera » Wed Oct 11, 10:45 pm

Elitist? Perhaps. Sports? Perhaps not.

mark1
super poster
super poster

Postby mark1 » Thu Oct 12, 9:58 am

Golf is a very technical and skillfull game......I would most certainly class it as a sport.

LaTristesseDurera
super power poster
super power poster

Postby LaTristesseDurera » Thu Oct 12, 5:51 pm

mark1 wrote:Golf is a very technical and skillfull game......I would most certainly class it as a sport.

So is Grand Theft Auto...but I wouldn't class that as as a sport

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Thu Oct 12, 6:56 pm

Funny this comes up here, me and some mates were just discussing what differentiates a sport from a game...started with a discussion of bowling. My contention is that a "sport" requires skill and athleticism, without the latter it is a game.

PaXXX

sidhe333
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby sidhe333 » Thu Oct 12, 10:58 pm

i figure if you can drink alcohol while doing it, it probably ain't a sport.
chess, anyone?

s:.

Dano
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Dano » Fri Oct 13, 2:18 am

mark1 wrote:

You can get started for way less than the cost of a couple of guns?
16 hundred wasn't it??

God no. You could buy a used Remington 870 express or wingmaster shotgun for about $200-$300 with a slug barrel.

It is enough gun to hunt ducks, geese,turkey,raccoon,coyote, bear, and deer. Mine is fifty years old and never been broken.

Most of the game I have killed I have used this firearm. It is inexpensive and can feed the family

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”