NL-06

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Xanten
power poster
power poster

NL-06

Postby Xanten » Sun Jun 25, 8:10 pm

Arrived on a overcast Pinksteren Maandag for 4 days in AMS and two more weeks in NL ...breezed through Schipol and took the Connexxion shuttle to Hotel Fantasia . At their door by 8 AM . Having stayed here before ,and friendly with the Staff ,we had a cup of Coffee and chatted a bit ,then out to the mostly deserted streets ... That first day is such a rush ,the anticipation, the YES we're finally back feeling ,you all know it ...First CS stop was the redesigned Arabica on Amstel Straat ...the first of the 9AM opening shops we stumbled across...3 gram of their Gruis for 10 Euro - starting out easy,but the DOD (Dude on Duty) through in a White Widow Bud or two for good seasoning,nice friendly start we thought ...This trip we were determined to check out some of the fave shops on this site and from ACD ...and we did ...finally visited de Kuil ,NES, and Amnesia ...liked the first two ,don't see what all the buzz is about with Amnesia...Did our usual AMS thing ...Cuyp,canal wandering,Bakkerie Bart,Sunset on the Amstel,you know the drill ,but for us being in any city is a rush (can't see our own neighbors-live in a county with but one traffic light and no 4 lane road etc.) and Amsterdam a REAL change... Hotel was again a treat , back garden a place to meet with other travellers,staff ,pass the J, relax...
CS stops included-Arabica-nice deal...Basjoes-de Vrouw thinks its her favorite in AMS - 3 Euro Hash Joint for me ,which was a sweet smoke ,and a gram of Silver Pearl for her (edit- make that Early Pearl- ),which she liked so much she kept her eyes open for Pearl varieties all thru NL ...Johnny -a bit of an emergency stop due to too much bier /thee -located near Johnny Jordan Plein a small locals shop,not very comfy or welcoming ,but seemed to have its own scene and if you were a part of it would be nice ,de Vrouw picked up a gram of Sneeuw Witte or something for 5 Euro ...Had dinner at La Festa ,an Italian place on Hazenstraat -our 2nd visit ,loved it both times . Had a Seafood souppe+ salad that was very different from our usual US fare...well satisfied ....
our one great new CS discovery this year would be De Graal on Albert Cuyp straat about a block after the Market ends ,heading towards the Museums . What a nice shop . 3 levels, a chess/pool shop with plush seating, nice decor, a music room in the back equipped with Piano,drumset,guitars, clean ,playing nice music ,WOW ...Would be close to my ideal hang out shop ...Got Shaman Mix -sativa first stop 5 E. They sell by price eg 5 or 10 euro bags ...oops its 3 ...Ornaje game with Portugal on ...will get back to this later ....X

Weldon
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Weldon » Mon Jun 26, 12:50 am

Sounds like an incredible experience for you coming from Appalachia. New York City is closer and daunting enough, just like Amsterdam. But you have to go underground to get your Silver Pearls. Did you enjoy the late sunsets?

Amnesia is a nice place. Cozy corner shop. Ask for the MK Ultra or the Amnesia Haze. Great product.

koopa
super power poster
super power poster

Postby koopa » Mon Jun 26, 2:15 am

thanks for the de graal suggestion.....
gotta hit that shop up next year :)

Xanten
power poster
power poster

Postby Xanten » Mon Jun 26, 2:29 am

Brutal game ... Thought Oranje had a shot playing one man up in 2nd Half ...
Anyway we did get a gram of Amnesia haze . At 14 E a gram it better kick my ass ...can't really say it did ...(but maybe I have a case of Amnesia here)but I do remember the place being loud,full of giggly young tourists taking endless pix with flashes , one shared Rest room ,and dirty tables Had our first ever case of the don't smoke someone elses stuff here at CS Old Amsterdam .Which otherwise might have been a nice shop. We had accumulated a fairly decent stash ,and just wanted to chill a bit ,with a cup of Thee so we enter and go to the DOD and say Twee Thee aust-je Blieft. The DOD says this is a coffee shop we sell Marijuana /Hash ...DUH !
We just want Twee Thees. THE DOD says you have to buy something from our Menu -Which by the Way is highly priced ,even for AMS . We leave ... Now the good stuff-The Hash from Nes was the best Hash of the trip ,and the fact that customers can use the internet Gratis a plus as well. The Nevilles Haze from de Kuil did Kick my ass -was up late that night in touch with the Spirits of Amsterdam ...

other shops visited in AMS this year - Softland -new neon lights ,still painfully slow internet,and no longer the biggest cup of thee in CS history
Rookies-3.8 grams of Outdoor Purple 15 E -A great daytime high . Kind of a bar thing going there more than a CS .But enjoyed the visit. Visited de Graal again just to make sure I really liked it as much as I did ... I did...Maybe my favorite shop of the trip ... and Basjoes a couple more times as it just feels comfortable there....

So after 4 daze in AMS it was time to pick up our car and head for the provinces ...First stop a three day weekend in Zutphen in Gelderland Province ...over the Hoge Veluwe (which looks like a place one could film an great version of The Hound of the Baskervilles) . Take out the cars and Zutphen is a medival movie set . Just a delight ...Three nice CS in town ...but Plein 48 is a Top Ten shop for sure ...big by AMS standards ,with an interesting ,friendly crew of characters,playing interesting music -e.g. a techno tinged Indian Raga ,that after one of their Hash Joints,and a few tokes of de Vrouws White Widow J. put me in touch with the spirits of Zutphen... A daytrip to Deventer , which is a much bigger town complete with its own RLD ,and boasts a great town square (which was filled with a tacky carnival) was fun . CS Maya on the Square there is a top shop as well ....with a Dali-Escher theme to their decorations...Got a 6 E bag of "Sweet" from them .Maya boasts the"cleanest and dirtiest " bathrooms in the NL ...You just have to see them ...Next to Haarlem, Zutphen is ,in our opinion the best choice for a daytrip from AMS, if you're considering getting out of town for a day . Small enough to take most of it in. and plenty to see/discover , train station very close in ...even the free parking lot is not far out ...great little town . Was our 2nd visit and again it won best town of trip award ...Hotel -de Volkshuis - in the center of the Centrum ...no problem with discretely toking in room ....Next stop Amersfoort ...

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

De Graal, indeed a very nice shop.

Postby LastHamlet » Thu Jun 29, 4:13 pm

Excellent Report, and that shop on Albert Cuyp is a fav of mine as well. Really laid-back, and if it is still the same, only has organic grown weeds in their shop.
I remember writing about it nearly four years ago, and someone had said it did not exist in that location. Made me a bit unsure myself, until my very next trip, did I indeed discover, I was in the right area, and it did exist. Though the Katsu is even closer to the market, De Graal is slightly more to my likings, and for one, the ceiling is a lot higher. I can remember going upstairs and sitting on the comfy sofa, and admiring the nostalgic wall hangings and such. It kind of reminded me of my bedroom in the late 70's, and brought back a lot of wonderful memories.
So, what I am saying is,,,,,, excellent choice.
Thanks for the Reports, Cant Wait For More.
All The Best Regards,
LH

Xanten
power poster
power poster

Postby Xanten » Thu Jun 29, 7:37 pm

Arrived in Amersfoort in time for the NL/Serbia game ...warm Sunday afternoon...Amersfoort has a really nice centrum surrounded by lots of Urban Sprawl . And theres some bigtime work going on in the vicinity of the Koppelspoort -which is that medival gatething so often pictured ...pretty ambitious project along the canal as it comes out of the old town...We found 3 Coffeeshops in Amersfoort ...all three decent ,but none were really more than that ,except maybe Trenchtown right in the Centrum . CS ALem is located right across the street from a Dutch public school (to the left of the Koppelpoort as one walks in the city) was kinda startling to see the little Dutch kiddies on the swings and monkey bars and not 20 feet away Marleys playing and tokers going about their business,mommies ducking in for a bag of White Widow before riding home with Little Hansel and Gretel ...thats 10 to life in some parts of the USA... all the shops we found there had 3 or 3.50 E a gram Gruis deals...de Vrouw tryed them and pronounced Trenchtowns to be best ,so she opted for 5 Grams for 15 E there ...well they didn't have but half that much so the DOD topped it off with JH and WW buds ,nice of him we thought... Enjoyed our days there ,Hotel Lange Jan nice, room One is a must though if you want to toke ,as the rest of the place is Non-Smoking ...Amersfoort has a big main Square ,as well as a smaller -but equally lively one ...there seemed to be a big club scene ,and all in all everyone we talked with seemed happy with their Amersfoort lives ... We decided to take the back roads to our next stop, Middelburg, which worked until we reached a ferry out sign somewhere in Zuid Holland and had to retrace our steps for a way ...to me Middelburg is one of the top 3-4 towns we've visited ,the red brick of the North is replaced with more white ,the city is honeycombed with little mazes -some deadends .ringed with nice parkland ,train station very close to center,just reeks of Golden Age Holland ,er Zeeland ...maybe after Haarlem the coolest main square in NL ...The CS Scene is small ,just 2 shops ...but we enjoyed both of them . After 2 daze the DODs at Roxy treated us as regulars ,not charging us for our Morning Coffee,throwing in a lighter Gratis , I think it was there that de Vrouw decided to roll straight HAsh Joints ...Glad she tried as they became a staple ...Roxy is on the large side for a CS with wooden chairs, tables ala Rookies. White tile floors, clean . Large selection of Mags, books always tells me a CS is willing to have you hang out a while ... PUrchases here included Twisla Hash 7.00 x2 , Power Plant 6.00...Music Classic Rock ,Euro Pop ... CS 62 a bit smaller , DOD wasn't really friendly until I told him how much I liked the old Blue Note Jazz tracks he was playing ...Got Super Polm for 7, and a 7 E bag of Skunk ,both good smokes ...Took a rainyday trip by train to Goes about 15 minutes away ...nice Zeeland town ....as one enters town about 3 blocks from Station one cant help notice in big letters HIGH TIMES ...hmmm lets check it out . What a sweet CS ...a top 10 for the trip for sure ...they have a Smart shop on the ground floor where one also buys ones smokes ...then up a relatively straight and wide Dutch Staircase to the CS proper a beauty of a shop ,big ,comfortable ,friendly ,just a nice shop to hang out in . Only gripe would be their ridiculous internet prices ,like 1.50 for 15 minutes ...would have liked to log on but didn't ...they sell in 5 or 10 E bags ...got a 5 of Purple and a 2.50 Preroll ,both just fine...music classic rock , board games ,fussball ,all in all a top shop ....Back to Middelburg for Cafe Desifinados blues night ...
theres a music College in Middelburg ,and some of the Profs formed a blues band ,very credible musically and very dynamic as performers ...the house was packed ,audience from all walks of life it would appear ...
a highlight of the trip (again-as we saw them on 03 )So if you're in Middelburg try for a Wednesday night as Desifinado alternates Live Blues /Jazz... Middelburg also was in the midst of their once a year whole towns a market for a week orgy ...prices seemed lower here than in other stops as well ...next stop Breda

Xanten
power poster
power poster

Postby Xanten » Thu Jun 29, 7:50 pm

relatively little urban sprawl as well ...
Last edited by Xanten on Wed Jul 19, 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xanten
power poster
power poster

Postby Xanten » Fri Jun 30, 11:00 pm

So on to Breda ...after a detour to see Zierikzee,(Sometimes we visit towns After we get an Anton Pieck -and this town still looks as AP envisioned it) which means crossing the very scary Zeeland Brug at 5 KM or so long and with minimal railing de Vrouw was getting a bit rattled but we made the other side and had a nice stop in Zierikzee. We pulled into Breda as the town was warming up for the NL-Ivory Coast World Cup game ...What an Atmosphere ,I can imagine what Mardi Gras would be like there ...As we checked in to Hotel De Klok right on the Grote Markt we noticed these Little oranje Mascotte rolling papers at the check in desk , gratis,and having requested a smoking room we thought, Cool ...more on that later ...so we donned our Oranje and headed out in search of a suitable perch for the game . We found CS Paradijs quickly, thanks to the maps from over on ACD ...and were happy to see Master Kush on the Menu ,a good start for Breda .This is a small shop with a few stools at the bar and a 3 sided couch w/Table .Kinda forces folks together ,and indeed the patrons were chatty and didn't seem to mind having some gringos cheering the NL on with them ...2-0 at halftime took us to the main square which was rocking . Things grew crazier and crazier as the game ended ,got some great pics of the celebration ,which lasted well into the night ...The CS scene in Breda seems a bit more regulated than other towns we'd visited. All the shopsare required to have pamphlets describing the regs. in this town . Can scan this in if anyone is interested .It is in English ...an example being that no CS can stay open after 23:00.
So its back to the room eventually and after a before crash J of the Master Kush (voted 2nd best smoke of the trip), there comes a furious pounding on our door ...Yikes...this large, red faced, and obviously angry hotel employee first asks us "Nederlands" ...English austjeblief we say ...There will be no pot smoking in this hotel ,if you do it again ,we will call the police ...all in rather angry tones ...and all repeated to make sure we got the point....OK,Why didn't you say so ... So much for a perfect stay in Breda ...his attitude was a bit harsh to say the least ...and we have never had a problem EVER in our years of travelling this fine country from Appingedam to Valkenburg -(of course thats in Hotels which allow smoking ,and provide ashtrays as proof,not to mention giving away rolling papers at the check-in ) ...SO I had a civilized chat with the hotel manager the next morning who agreed that a calmer ,more civil approach would have been preferrable ,and we did finally get around to reading the fine print in the Hotel Policies manual thingee,which does state no Soft Drug Use ...so fair enough ,plenty of CSs about .But even so, How did they know ,and respond so quickly ? Our window looked out on a rather ugly rooftop,with heating ducts, piss poor view actually ...no other rooms nearby ,heavily carpeted floor at the door should have kept leakage to a minimum...Still don't have the answer to how we were busted .Though it turns out that rooftop is the rooftop of the Breda Gemeente Building ,but even so it was closed for the weekend ...anyway ...though not a perfect weekend ,Breda was a great stop...The weed we got here was the best of the trip ,and yes that includes Amsterdam...We saw lots of community building sort of things that made this a memorable stop ...Theres a nice park in the centrum which seemed to have a life of its own :young folks playing guitars , a soccer game , smooching on the grass,just a nice mellow place ...Stumbled on a Battle of the Bands sort of thing in a nice bar called La Brommels,complete with good stage ...turned out to be mostly kids ,and the audience was mostly their parents and friends, but heard some nicely arranged tight bands ,playing everything from Greenday covers to presumably original stuff...all to a crowd drinking biers, and smoking lots of tobacco ...probably couldn't do that in the USA.Probably won't be able to in the NL before long either ...but it was just a good vibe sort of occasion ...back to the CS Scene ...CS Majestic gets the award for Best Smoke of Trip: Silver Pearl at 7 E a gram ,a great potent Indica...as I look at our purchases log I see 3 G of Silver Pearl and 3 of Master Kush as well as a Spoetnik from CS FlynHy -A nicely decoratedfriendly shop,playing Clasic Rock and EuroPop (which I like) and a gram of Hash from Purple Rain -which is a shop I really didn't care for as the DOD was totally uninvolved with everyone ,and the music sucked-what I call Adolescent music ... also a G of Oranje Pearl from De Barones a nice comfy shop near Majestic with a cool DOD...one thing to note is that both de Barones and Paradijs were AIR CONDITIONED ...and it was rather warm that weekend ...Lots of engineering going on in Breda this summer. Town sorta cut in half by the canal work by the Castle/Army Base .So all the photo ops weren't there,but all in all I'm glad we visited ,and thanks to those who encouraged us to when I posted a Question about Breda earlier in the spring ...One reason we loaded up in Breda was that the next stop was in Germany ...had no problems at the border ,no sign of increased Vigilance. Crossed near Venlo heading for Xanten , which is reportedly a possible ancestral Hometown ...and that would be OK with me if true ,as its a nice town ....took in the Germany vs. -oops, I forget- too many Pilsners- game in a nice gaststatte. But they won 3-0...Last stop Haarlem

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Fri Jun 30, 11:42 pm

Great report. I liked Breda as well. No stop at the CS Pax woonboot?

PaXXX

Xanten
power poster
power poster

Postby Xanten » Sun Jul 02, 1:23 am

BO -Didn't get to Pax de Boot ...I'm thinking it was the other side of a fenced off , barricaded main gracht ...and never did really attempt to find our way around it ...hopefully next time ...I'd kinda like to see Breda minus all the work .

Xanten
power poster
power poster

Postby Xanten » Tue Jul 04, 4:18 pm

arrived in Haarlem in the cool rain , Hotel Carillon its usual pleasant place...It doesn't seem to matter how many times we visit that Grote Markt still blows us away upon seeing it the first time.World Cup frenzy building, they had the big screen rolled down ,and were boo-hooing about the weather ,thinking it would be a slow night...being our last stop, we quickly settled in and headed for Empire . It was quiet , but the center of attention was an Orange Vespa , all decked out with Hup-Holland etc. that was to be raffled off during that evenings NL-Argentina game ...a slick ride for sure and at 5 Euro a ticket ,I considered it ,but doubt it would hold up on our mountainside...
The work thats been going on adjacent to St. Bavos is making progress,with a bold new theme developing ,could be special when its complete...the old and the new connected , very Star Trekky I thought...Walked past the Theehuis ,but never went in . They've redone the interior. Its almost as if they decided to make the place seem uninviting. Gone are the wicker chairs which made the place comfy ,despite its size ,just a few stools remain. Weather Clearing, made it to Indica ,which has also redesigned since our last visit ,with much better results . The DOD was friendly and seemed in touch with regulars and visitors alike . The musical theme has old horns ,and pix of musical greats on the walls ,and Les Paul Shaped Tables . It even extends to the restrooms ...A top shop for sure...enjoyed hanging there as much as anywhere on the trip ...dinner at Carrilon ,weather warming...by the time we finished the frenzy was in full swing. The inside was filling up, the TVs set up outside ,and Carillon was the place to be on the Grote Markt for the big game ....Moved down the street to the Vischandel a nice Bar thats benifited from the progress around St. Bavos . Nice place . These Voetbal fans an interesting lot . Its like they're telepathically connected or something ...total silence followed by ...total cacophany ...The Spirit of Haarlem Manifest I suppose,you could feel it strolling the streets during the 2nd half ,almost as if the buildings themselves were for the Oranje , or maybe it was the combo NYCD and Jack H. we picked up at Sativa ....but everyone seemed happy with the draw and Haarlem partied until midnite or so ,then things calmed down ,maybe because it was a weeknight ,but the change WAS sudden ...the last day we visited Empire,
Indica,and Sativa again ,and stumbled on Maximillian , a nice , friendly, but messy shop ...Most of you have visited Haarlem, so theres not much to tell,that you don't know ...Great town ,gonna have to stop visiting at the end of a trip though as that tends to color ones stop with the blues. Having said that at least after 2 weeks in the NL one is used to bicyles ,and Haarlem seems to have the fastest ,craziest bikers of any town we've visited ...Pas OP ... all in all a great trip ...plan on doing it again next year
Some friends want us to show them around over Thanksgiving ,hope it can happen .... OH yeah ...If any of you stay at Hotel Carillon ...Theres a new Onyx Hash pipe stashed behind the Archeon brouchures (2nd row down) on Carillons first floor -2nd floor for Yanks - Meant to leave it with DC at NES for the next of the ACD crew to sign the Book. But didn't have it with me when we were there ...So I hope someone gets it ....

Banks
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Banks » Thu Jul 06, 2:42 am

Nice job, Xefian... enjoying your details! Appreciate the effort... keep up the good work!

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”