Pre-trip Report

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Priapos
super power poster
super power poster

Pre-trip Report

Postby Priapos » Thu Jun 08, 7:23 am

I apologize if this bores anyone, but I feel so excited that I can't contain myself. No wait, apology retracted; if it bores you, move along, nothing to see here.

Four weeks from today, I visit Amsterdam for the first time. I conceived this trip over six months ago, using the semi-pretext of attending the NorthSea Jazz Festival in Rotterdam. I bought a used copy of LetsGo Amsterdam from 2004, the In-Flight Dutch CD, and The Rough Guide Dutch Dictionary Phrasebook. I have traveled a lot in the US, and have visited Europe twice and Canada very briefly on a whim. I saw a few sights, had some random experiences, and greatly enjoyed the time I spent just wandering around.

This time, though, I decided to really do my homework, which I couldn't have done so thoroughly without your kind assistance. I bought a Palm, which I wanted anyway, and proceeded to enter locations, opening times, maps, and assorted notes. I also made myself a schedule, in order to group things in the same area into a day, and also to manage the unusual business hours and times of events like street markets. I think I left enough open space in it to take advantage of random opportunities without entirely abandoning it. Also, I left the last day totally open.

Currently, I plan to rest up with a beer and a doob for about an hour each day while I write a little something for you and my other online buddies. We'll see if I get tired at all... did I mention my excitement?

I smoked herb almost constantly for seventeen years, kilos upon kilos of Mexican, but only a few delightful ounces of kind bud and hash. In the last 20 months, though, I have smoked only three times, so I expect it may take a day or too to get my weed legs back. That, in combination with the expectation of stepping into another dimension, and not just another city, makes me think I may get more than a little baked.

Anyway, four weeks and a few hours from now, I hope to find myself sitting in a totally trippy hotel room, in quasi-legal posession of a variety of psychedelics, a bong, and some lovely Orange Bud, smoking out and looking forward to dinner and beers at a bar which has been open for business longer than the state in which I live!!! And then, a bit of fun.

Otis
super power poster
super power poster
Location: Recovering from years of racing sailboats on SF Bay

Postby Otis » Thu Jun 08, 12:51 pm

Wonderful thoughts and I hope you have a great trip. I've made lots of trips and lots of plans, and usually after the first smoke all plans are pretty much adjusted and the plan becomes a coffeeshop stumble from one to another and just letting time take it's course with no exact schedule. Once you know your way around and have seen most things, I like that method. But as this is your first trip, you have to "reach out and explore". Have fun, be safe, and any reports you can post will be enjoyed.

Smoke one upstairs at Old Church for me while looking out those big windows and watching life go by.

Otis

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Nice Thoughts

Postby LastHamlet » Thu Jun 08, 1:35 pm

What wonderful thoughts, and actually enjoyable.
You may be a little awestruck at the magic of AMS, as I was on the first several times.
I can remember one Dutch fellow, and several other people mentioning since then, (From a Vistor's Prospective).
Amsterdam is a city where you have your breakfast and coffee in the morning, look over your maps and plans, and seemingly have it layed out perfectly. Glimpse out the window and feel the beauty of the magic, then when you walk out the door, all the plans change, and end up doing something else entirely. Or a few things on the list, but not even in the order you had planned them. (Especially, it that first door happens to be a Coffeeshop. :-)

Most days, I found this to be a most true statement about Amsterdam., and no matter where I ended up, I seem to have a grand time. With that said, I hope it flows like magic for you, and your first trip be a grand one!!!
All The Best,
LH

mark1
super poster
super poster

Postby mark1 » Thu Jun 08, 4:43 pm

Bravo for 'pre-trips'......your excitment is making me excited!!
Have a great time......are you the guy that is staying at Greenhouse Effect?? If you are I'd appreciate your thoughts on the place.

Priapos
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Priapos » Thu Jun 08, 5:31 pm

Cool, I appreciate the support.

When I saw that I could get an inexpensive room above a coffeeshop in the RLD, I had to go for it. Who woulda thunk it? When I saw the pictures of the rooms on the Greenhouse website, that confirmed it. My flip flops are on my packing list for the shared bathroom, and I'll be sure my reports include notes on the room and the hotel. I hadn't found this site when I booked, BTW, but I'll use the link from here in the future.

TAK
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby TAK » Fri Jun 09, 4:34 am

Have a great time....enjoy.

Looking forward to you report.

Dag
TAK

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Fri Jun 09, 1:00 pm

Great pre-trip report. Novel idea. If you lay down on your first day, chances are good you will not get back up. Force yourself to make it thru the first day without a nap and the jet lag will wear off faster. In conjuction with that, regardless of your excitement, if you can sleep a few hours on the plane, you will have a huge headstart when you land. Take drugs, it's that important.

mhd

oracle
super power poster
super power poster

Re: Nice Thoughts

Postby oracle » Fri Jun 09, 1:39 pm

LastHamlet wrote:What wonderful thoughts, and actually enjoyable.
You may be a little awestruck at the magic of AMS, as I was on the first several times.
I can remember one Dutch fellow, and several other people mentioning since then, (From a Vistor's Prospective).
Amsterdam is a city where you have your breakfast and coffee in the morning, look over your maps and plans, and seemingly have it layed out perfectly. Glimpse out the window and feel the beauty of the magic, then when you walk out the door, all the plans change, and end up doing something else entirely. Or a few things on the list, but not even in the order you had planned them. (Especially, it that first door happens to be a Coffeeshop. :-)

Most days, I found this to be a most true statement about Amsterdam., and no matter where I ended up, I seem to have a grand time. With that said, I hope it flows like magic for you, and your first trip be a grand one!!!
All The Best,
LH

LH has summed it up, perfectly.

Priapos... enjoy. No other place, quite like it, on this entire planet.

Wish I could be a fly on the wall, when you walk into your first coffeeshop.

Best,

.oracle. By the way: 'COME ON ENGLAND'

felix
power poster
power poster

Postby felix » Fri Jun 09, 3:42 pm

Ive only been there once but in that week that seemed to fly by, I was able to see and do A LOT more than most people would do on their first trip to Mokum.

Have a blast! My countdown is still in the triple-digits :(

nametaken
power poster
power poster

Postby nametaken » Mon Jun 19, 9:41 am

Let me know how the hotel your staying is... Im trying to do research to find a good yet affordable hotel for my next trip.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”