day 2

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

dannymac
mega power poster
mega power poster

day 2

Postby dannymac » Sun Apr 30, 5:04 am

(note to self: stay out of the politics forum 'till you finish these damn trip reports)

DAY 2:
I seem to always be the 1st one up, and today is no exception. After copping a quick buzz I figure I'll take a shower. TAK's houseboat is really set up nice and we've got a bathroom & shower off the master bedroom. I decide to use the master bathroom, with it's larger shower, so that's where I head.

As I leave the master bedroom though something hits me - DAMN IT'S COLD IN THIS ROOM! Oh yeah, I went and closed off the kitchen & master bathroom from any heat source last night. Best to open the doors and let some heat come in. Thankfully, TAK has a small electric heater in the bathroom and I get the shower out of the way.

Before too long everyone else is up and I cook breakfast. After smokin' a few more bowls and some cleanin' up, we head out for the Van Gogh museum. The houseboat is situated almost equidistant from trams at Centraal Station or line #3 at Haarlemmerplein. In 1/2 a dozen visits to Amsterdam, I don't think I've been further down Haarlemmerdijk then Blue Velvet (and now, TAK's houseboat), so Haarlemmerplein it is.
Heading down Haarlemmerplein, I can't help but notice what an ideal location this is. Besides the Albert Heijn just around the corner from the houseboat, there's plenty of other shops that would help make it convenient to live here - liquor store, newstand(s), cheese shop, sporting goods store, a bank, even a locksmith, and loads more. After about a 10 minute walk, we're waiting for the tram.

In short order we're whisked off and delivered near the Stedelijk Museum. As with the Rijksmuseum, this place is also going through some major renovations and has all its artwork on display near Centraal Station. We're heading for the Van Gogh anyway and purchased our tickets online already too.
The object of pre-purchasing was to not stand in any line, but there's no signage indicating a separate entrance for ticket holders. Within a short time after standing in the line though, somebody comes out a side door asking for ticketholders, and in we go. The pre-purchase gambit worked.

We sped through the museum in less than 2 hours. I've been there several times, Mrs. dannymac's been there a couple times, and R&S weren't even sure they knew who Van Gogh was (!?!?). 'R' wanted to hit the Mark Raven stand in the Museumplein too. Unfortunately it was closed at the time (even though signage claimed it should be open). After a walk around the outside of the Rijksmuseum we headed for the tourist boats and a ride on the canals.

Canal boat ride - been there, done that. Afterwards it was lunch at the Hard Rock, and then a beer and a toke at Rookies (and a stop at their gift shop where the nonsmokers, R&S, stocked up on fridge' magnets in the shape of Dutch Joints). Next on our tourist agenda was the Heineken Brewery.

Even though it's just a touristy corporate marketing scheme, everybody likes going here. 'S' especially liked the fact that each person gets 3 free beers, and he knew that he would manage at least 6 out of the deal. All in all, we killed several hours in this place - to the point where we were kicked out at the end of the business day. It was just as well because we were suppose to be at De Kantjil en de Tijger at 6pm., and damn if it isn't closing in on that time already.

We hop a tram and make our way to De Kantjil en de Tijger as quick as we can (did have to navigate a little construction). By now though it's almost 6:30 and it appears we've missed anybody else who may have shown up (as it turns out Chiron got there at 6pm, waited almost 'till 6:30 and left - we must have just missed him, for that I'm sorry Chiron). Nevertheless, we get ourselves a table and proceed to enjoy our 'rice table'. We managed to eat everything, and were full to boot. Another group of satisfied diners!

Since we have to get up early for our train to Paris tomorrow, we're not planning on partying the night away. So, although it's a bit early, we head on over to the Dampkring to cap the night off. A little crowded, but not overly so, we end up crowding around the bar. While 'S' orders the drinks, I make it to the dealer for a look see. My initial purchase was a gram of NYC Diesel. It didn't disappoint, and really did have a grapefruity taste.

The Dampkring has decided to play up the Oceans 12 connection in a big way. Besides the 'Oceans 12 Haze' at the top of their menu, they've got several LCD displays mounted around that are playing a loop of the Dampkring scenes plus some other fluff. Still a nice place to hang though. Cute girl behind the bar that was chatty. Dealer was unmemorable, but I did eventually head back over for some Dutch Moonshine and one of the Rifman hashes.

Mrs. dannymac and 'R' decide they both want souvenir menus so they head over to the dealer too. Having watched a few deals go down, 'R' is determined to get one of the preprinted ziploc baggies used. Thing is though, she doesn't want to buy any smoke. I'm not quite sure in what order things went down, but when she 1st asked the dealer about getting an empty baggy he said no, she did end up buying 4 of the souvenir menus (his entire stock at the moment), and he ended up handing her a handful of the baggies too.

Eventually we decide to retire for the evening and take the long walk down a semi-deserted Kalverstraat & Nieuwendijk, and further on down Haarlemerstraat to TAK's houseboat. Have a little packing to do for our 2 night stay in Paris and sit back to relax a bit. It doesn't take long for 'S' to finish the familiar beers (mostly Amstel & Heineken I believe) in TAK's fridge, which leaves just a few unfamiliar ones left. I see a Columbus, the 9% brew from the 'Ij brewery, and suggest that. Evidently, to his palate (buying cheap beer, drinking it like water), this was unpalatable. Had me LOL'ing.

And thus ends another perfect day in Amsterdam.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Sun Apr 30, 12:43 pm

nice Dan. we will have to compare hb notes. see you this summer somewhere!

Hobie
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Hobie » Sun Apr 30, 2:26 pm

excellent read dannymac

c(_) prost

Banks
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Banks » Sun Apr 30, 4:18 pm

Thanks man... I needed that one!

hank
power poster
power poster

Postby hank » Thu May 04, 2:53 am

Sounds like a great trip dannymac, taks houseboat sounds like great fun. Paris will be nice in the spring. If you take smoke with you , be carefull. Damn I miss the dam, thanks for the report.

Sawhiskey
super poster
super poster

Postby Sawhiskey » Thu May 04, 1:15 pm

yea Taks houseboat sounds nice and looks beatiful. imma stay there next time i go

d3kings
super poster
super poster

Postby d3kings » Fri May 05, 2:09 am

Thanks for sharing Dan. The boat was definitely a nice touch on this trip (thanks again for adding all of your personal touches TAK and Holly).

I too found it very chilly a couple of mornings and found myself racing into the larger bathroom to take a shower in the bathroom with the heater :)

Did anyone else LOVE the pod coffee maker??? We loved it so much we just ordered one today.

And BTW, isn't every day a perfect day in Amsterdam :-p

d3kings

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Fri May 05, 2:16 am

D3kings discovered Sensio, lol... A longtime fav around here. Many discussions on where to get pads, lol. I think the math in Holland was about .15 cents a cup. Pretty cheap really. And quick and easy, just don't forget to clean out and empty the under cup tray, it gets yucky.

Nice report Danny, thanks for putting it down.

d3kings
super poster
super poster

Postby d3kings » Fri May 05, 2:27 am

MileHighDenver wrote:D3kings discovered Sensio, lol... A longtime fav around here. Many discussions on where to get pads, lol. I think the math in Holland was about .15 cents a cup. Pretty cheap really. And quick and easy, just don't forget to clean out and empty the under cup tray, it gets yucky.

LOL - Yeah, I was having a discussion with my wife about having to somehow order from the Albert Heijn or to just make sure we stock up on every trip :)

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Fri May 05, 2:42 am

They got em here now, you just have to look. The neatest new invention for them is a pad sized container that you put your own coffee in.

TAK
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby TAK » Fri May 05, 4:15 am

d3kings wrote:
MileHighDenver wrote:D3kings discovered Sensio, lol... A longtime fav around here. Many discussions on where to get pads, lol. I think the math in Holland was about .15 cents a cup. Pretty cheap really. And quick and easy, just don't forget to clean out and empty the under cup tray, it gets yucky.

LOL - Yeah, I was having a discussion with my wife about having to somehow order from the Albert Heijn or to just make sure we stock up on every trip :)

Yeah, when Holly and I came in November I decided to get one for the boat. I was in a store and saw the large water container on sale for about 5 euros and bought that first. Then the next day we saw the Senceo coffee maker on sale at Blocker and got it. Holly found the pods for as low as 6 euro cents buying them 48 at a time at AH.

When we got back I bought two of the 110 volt versions on ebay and gave one to my daughter. They sell the pods at Walmart and Giant for about 15 to 20 US cents each. I even bought some at the Food Lion on the Outer Banks in NC.

Dag
TAK

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Fri May 05, 4:40 am

MileHighDenver wrote:just don't forget to clean out and empty the under cup tray, it gets yucky.

Just don't forget to change the pad before pressing the BREW buton. Man I made a few weak-ass cups of Joe. I was like WTF? I must be stoned? DUH!

TAK
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby TAK » Fri May 05, 5:40 am

Birdman wrote:
MileHighDenver wrote:just don't forget to clean out and empty the under cup tray, it gets yucky.

Just don't forget to change the pad before pressing the BREW buton. Man I made a few weak-ass cups of Joe. I was like WTF? I must be stoned? DUH!

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Dag
TAK

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Way to Go D'Mac

Postby LastHamlet » Tue May 09, 8:40 pm

Nice one D'Mac, and it sure brought back memories, especially at De Kantjil en de Tijger. Remember, I had to sit in the high-chair for spilling my drink all over the place. It is a shame you were not with Banks and I, last year, when we got the evil-eye from the hostess, yet she still let us dine.
Thoses were the days... Many Thanks, D'Mac.
LH

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”