Just returned yesterday... here are most of my photos

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Chiron
just in
just in

Just returned yesterday... here are most of my photos

Postby Chiron » Tue Apr 04, 3:39 am

Hi there gang. Well, I got home from my virgin trip to Amsterdam early yesterday evening. Had a wonderful time with great weather, a bit chilly and windy with a few showers from time to time, but no steady rain until the last day. Came home to heavy thunderstorms. Ah, such is the whimsy of Nature.

It's been so long since I've done any long distance traveling, I'd forgotten how tiring it can be. I'm glad I decided to take a couple of days off after the trip before I go back to work on Wednesday. I've spent a good part of the day today resting while editing and uploading my photos to Webshots. Thanks again for the tip on that website, lctricity! The only problem I'm having is that my titles are showing up, but not the captions. Their online FAQ and help section is not helpful at all in this regard.

Most of the photos from the trip were taken with my Canon PowerShot A520, a great little digital camera with many settings that I'm still learning how to use. Most of these shots were simple point-and-shoot with the camera set to "Auto." My nighttime shots, as a result, didn't turn out too well, but I'm pleased with the others. I have a few more shots, maybe a dozen or so, that I took with a little disposable digital that I brought along as a spare, but I need to drop the disposable in the mail for processing, so I'll add them later.

Trip reports will be forthcoming, but I have to transcribe and edit my handwritten travel journal first, including rearranging events, since not everything was written down in chronological order. I hope to post the first report, covering the first day, sometime this weekend, with subsequent reports as I have time and energy.

Here are the photos. Let me know what you think:

http://community.webshots.com/user/Chiron1723

amytizz
power poster
power poster

Postby amytizz » Tue Apr 04, 4:18 am

Great photo tour of Amsterdam! I leave in a week and those pics made me very excited to go.

Purperen
super poster
super poster

Postby Purperen » Tue Apr 04, 1:37 pm

Some great photos there, looks like you had a good trip. For a first time visitor it looks like you got around the city well, most people don't make it beyond the grachtengordel on their first visit. Looking forward to your trip report, interesting to get the perspective of a first-time visitor.

hebe
power poster
power poster

trip

Postby hebe » Tue Apr 04, 1:58 pm

great pictures esp. for a first trip.good details. getting ready for my trip in june.yum,yum

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Tue Apr 04, 2:40 pm

Nice pics, your eyes look unusually clear for a tourist in Amsterdam!

HighCountry
power poster
power poster

Postby HighCountry » Tue Apr 04, 7:26 pm

Yeah, those are some very nice photos. I liked your descriptions for the shots too. Thanks for sharing.

So, your eyes are clear and you aren't smiling much in the photos. Way different than me on my first visit....bleeding eyes and perma-grin all the time. Maybe that's why I only got 1/10 of the pictures you shot? ;-)

Happy Trails....

theguest
super power poster
super power poster

Postby theguest » Tue Apr 04, 9:25 pm

nice pics!

Santoka
super poster
super poster

Postby Santoka » Tue Apr 04, 9:34 pm

Thanks for those excellent pix, Chiron. Glad you got so many of Albert Cuyp. I wandered around there a bunch last time & didn't take a single picture!

Excellent light in this one.

Thanks for sharing these -

Chiron
just in
just in

Postby Chiron » Tue Apr 04, 11:58 pm

Thanks for all your kind comments, folks. I visited several museums and other attractions, as well as at least a dozen coffeeshops, and it was all great, but for me one of the most fun things to do was just to wander around the city and snap a photo from time to time. I'm just an amateur shutterbug, but I enjoy photography. And Amsterdam certainly has no lack of interesting subjects for the camera.

Yes, Purpuren, I like to think I covered the city fairly well, and I did it all on foot. I had a 3-day bus & tram pass, but never used it. I'm something of a veteran pedestrian -- I used to hike and backpack a lot when I was younger, and unless the weather is nasty, I usually walk to and from my office, about a half mile each way, so that's about 5 miles a week. I bet I walked at least twice that while in the Dam. A sturdy pair of Columbia hiking boots helped greatly, but I still have sore leg muscles.

Birdman and High Country, you obviously didn't examine my eyes too closely in the pics of me in front of De Dampkring. That was the day of the coffeeshop walking tour, and I had a pretty good buzz going. But then again, I've had several veteran stoners say they can't tell whether I'm stoned or sober. And unless you catch me in the middle of a good hearty laugh, you'll rarely see me with a big smile. Mine tends toward a little secretive half-smile, like the Mona Lisa.

Santoka, when I clicked on the link in your post, I got a 403 error: "You are forbidden to access this file..." However, I rechecked the photos in the album, and I think you're talking about the pic titled "Graffiti art on Spuistraat 2." Am I correct? Many thanks for the compliment, but the lighting effect was completely unintentional. In fact, I was a bit disappointed that the lower half of the building was in shadow. But thank you for allowing me to see my own work in a new light (pardon the pun).

I was a little afraid that people wouldn't relate to my particular fascinations with quirky little architectural details, street art as well as gallery and museum art, and gay culture and history, but everybody's appreciative comments are relieving those concerns.

I appreciate the feedback, fellow Channelites. Keep it coming!

27guldens
super poster
super poster

Postby 27guldens » Wed Apr 05, 12:38 am

Excelent pics man!

Did you stay at De Lantaerne hotel?. It was there where i stayed the first time i went to Amsterdam in 1996.
There`s also a picture of the smartshop from where i bought mushrooms for the first time.
Thank you for sharing your pictures, they brought some nice memories to me.

Santoka
super poster
super poster

Postby Santoka » Wed Apr 05, 1:50 am

Chiron wrote:Santoka, when I clicked on the link in your post, I got a 403 error: "You are forbidden to access this file..." However, I rechecked the photos in the album, and I think you're talking about the pic titled "Graffiti art on Spuistraat 2." Am I correct? Many thanks for the compliment, but the lighting effect was completely unintentional. In fact, I was a bit disappointed that the lower half of the building was in shadow. But thank you for allowing me to see my own work in a new light (pardon the pun).

Sorry Chiron - I think I linked to an enlarged version of the photo that doesn't show up. It's this one:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/549 ... 8147PNupja

(4th row down, middle picture from your set)

Sorry for my laziness in not checking the link. I've visited Amsterdam in the winter months. so the light that different seasons brings to different times of the day is nice to see. Thanks again for putting these up.

Chiron
just in
just in

Postby Chiron » Wed Apr 05, 1:52 am

Yes, 27guldens, I did stay at the Hotel de Lantaerne. Not a bad little budget hotel. A little run down, and there was a little bit of noise at night from the Melkweg and/or Leidseplein, but the bathrooms were clean, there was plenty of hot water, the staff was friendly and helpful, and they served a decent typical Dutch breakfast, although a bit of fresh fruit would've been a welcome addition. Other than some minor problems with a keycard that wouldn't stay programmed, I had no complaints.

I hear they recently changed ownership. I believe the new owner's name is Mr. Singh. So things might be a bit different since you were there. I heard a previous owner had been renting out a couple of studio apartments in the same building, but apparently the new owner plans to convert these to more hotel rooms.

Chiron
just in
just in

Postby Chiron » Wed Apr 05, 2:00 am

Ah, thanks, Santoka. I saw your second post right after I replied to 27guldens. So I did have the wrong pic after all. Yes, although again I wasn't intentionally trying to capture the light in the "Drawbridge with tour group" pic, it did come out nicely. Looks like Mother Nature was shining a bit of a spotlight on the tour group, doesn't it?

I also like the way the sunlight is reflected in the street, still wet from the showers earlier that morning. Thanks once again for your feedback.

Tall Guy
super poster
super poster

Postby Tall Guy » Wed Apr 05, 8:58 am

Nice photos Chiron. Your night photos might be improved if you get to know a few crucial settings in the camera menus. Firstly set the ISO to the highest number available - this increases the sensor's sensitivity (just like faster film allows a faster shutter speed in poor light), but at a cost - image quality will be noisier (grainier), but it's better than blurred/shaky. You may have an Auto ISO setting which will take care of this for you. Don't forget to re-set it when it's daylight again if not. (ISO 100 or 200 is OK for normal light conditions)

Next find the "Flash Off" setting as it's range is clearly limited to a few feet - all it will do is catch highly reflective surfaces (e.g. bike wheels in your shots) and leave the rest of the pic underexposed (dark). This option is usually represented by a lightning bolt with a line through it, like a streesign.

Now find a convenient bridge/streetsign/bin to rest on - these all make excellent tripod-substitutes. Blu-Tak will help stabilise the camera too, or maybe a lump of sticky hash.... Locate the "Self-timer" function and use it rather than just pressing the shutter in the normal way, this will minimize any vibration when you press the shutter. Also if you take 5 or more shots, one will usually be a winner, just erase the shaky ones....

DedBud
super power poster
super power poster

Postby DedBud » Wed Apr 05, 12:23 pm

Tall Guy wrote:Blu-Tak will help stabilise the camera too, or maybe a lump of sticky hash

LOL!!! Great idea. Why didn't I think of that before? I might bring an 8x10 view camera next time if I don't have to lug around the huge Bogen tripod, but I will need to go to Haarlem first to get a couple huge chunks of "tripod."

HighCountry
power poster
power poster

Postby HighCountry » Wed Apr 05, 2:50 pm

Chiron wrote:Birdman and High Country, you obviously didn't examine my eyes too closely in the pics of me in front of De Dampkring. That was the day of the coffeeshop walking tour, and I had a pretty good buzz going. But then again, I've had several veteran stoners say they can't tell whether I'm stoned or sober. And unless you catch me in the middle of a good hearty laugh, you'll rarely see me with a big smile. Mine tends toward a little secretive half-smile, like the Mona Lisa.

It's okay man, just a little levity. I know you were smiling on the inside ;-) Thanks again for the pics, good stuff.

Happy Trails....

RealityCzech
power poster
power poster

Postby RealityCzech » Thu Apr 06, 1:16 am

Chiron, I saw that you had made a photo of one of the many Ladybugs in the sidewalks here and were wondering what that means:
The last years in the Netherlands, there have been many shocking attacks carried out against ordinary people who have for example been reacting to a thug throwing bikes into the canal and been beaten to death for daring to yell for them to stop it. Or for example, throwing a drunken and harmless person into a canal which results in them drowning. The day after these events there would often be a silent march and people feeling frustrated and angry. The National Foundation Against Senseless Violence was born. (My translation and words)

The ladybug has "in all of Nederland grown to become the general symbol for respect and against agression and violence..."

http://www.zinloosgeweld.nl/

Perhaps ya'all have noticed the small memorials in the Voetboogsteeg. This was probably the murder that finally brought senseless violence to the forefront. Late night and a young man yells at bullies bothering a homeless man. The 26 year old good samaritan was beaten to death. Here's some photos on a site:

http://www.ernst.vuurwerk.nl/joes/

This is from still another orginazation against aggression called National foundation for prevention of public violence.

http://www.kappennou.nl/

Just like everywhere else, its safest not to get involved (but do call police for help) 911 is 112 here. (And this, I read somewhere that because of American TV programs mentioning the number 911 so often, it has been discussed to add 911 as a European number in addition to 112 to avoid confusion!)

shlo

Postby shlo » Thu Apr 06, 5:39 am

great haul! Now, I have to ask, did you visit the club Cockring? What was it like inside?

Banks
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Banks » Thu Apr 06, 2:41 pm

Excellent pictures! Thanks for posting!

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Thu Apr 06, 2:54 pm

RealityCzech wrote:Chiron, I saw that you had made a photo of one of the many Ladybugs in the sidewalks here and were wondering what that means:
The last years in the Netherlands, there have been many shocking attacks carried out against ordinary people who have for example been reacting to a thug throwing bikes into the canal and been beaten to death for daring to yell for them to stop it. Or for example, throwing a drunken and harmless person into a canal which results in them drowning. The day after these events there would often be a silent march and people feeling frustrated and angry. The National Foundation Against Senseless Violence was born. (My translation and words)

The ladybug has "in all of Nederland grown to become the general symbol for respect and against agression and violence..."

http://www.zinloosgeweld.nl/

Perhaps ya'all have noticed the small memorials in the Voetboogsteeg. This was probably the murder that finally brought senseless violence to the forefront. Late night and a young man yells at bullies bothering a homeless man. The 26 year old good samaritan was beaten to death. Here's some photos on a site:

http://www.ernst.vuurwerk.nl/joes/

This is from still another orginazation against aggression called National foundation for prevention of public violence.

http://www.kappennou.nl/

Just like everywhere else, its safest not to get involved (but do call police for help) 911 is 112 here. (And this, I read somewhere that because of American TV programs mentioning the number 911 so often, it has been discussed to add 911 as a European number in addition to 112 to avoid confusion!)

The best info posted here in awhile. Awesome.

And Thank you for the great photos Chiron.

mhd

martin6661
power poster
power poster

Postby martin6661 » Thu Apr 06, 8:18 pm

Nice report and photo's love the street art ones the channels are blooming again you can tell its spring !

Chiron
just in
just in

Postby Chiron » Sat Apr 08, 10:09 pm

Tall Guy, many thanks for the photography tips. My camera does have an Auto ISO setting, I just forgot to use it, and also forgot to turn off the flash. It's a new camera, my first digital, and I'm still learning. Your suggestions are good, and I'll try to remember them for next time.

High Country, yes, I knew you & Birdman were pulling my leg a bit. Sorry if my response seemed a bit abrupt, I didn't mean it to be. I was just trying to explain. No hard feelings...

RealityCzech, thanks so much for the information on the ladybugs. I've updated the photo album and credited you as the source of the info.

I just posted my trip report for the first day in this forum. Hope you all enjoy it!

Santa Marta
power poster
power poster

Postby Santa Marta » Sun Apr 09, 7:12 pm

What a great slideshow, Chiron--really appreciated it--like a trip down (great) memory lane for me---I've stayed at Lantaerne about 20 times--remember the previous owner--older lady--who rode her bike all about town--Ill be back in about a month--Yeeha!!

Santa Marta

bilzur1976
power poster
power poster

Postby bilzur1976 » Mon Apr 10, 10:35 pm

hey thanks for bringin back the memorys

felix
power poster
power poster

Postby felix » Wed Apr 26, 3:00 pm

Love the pics Chiron. I thought I was the ONLY person to do Mokum solo but its nice to know that there are other bold folks out there like yourself. None of my friends can commit to this kind of trip so Ill be going back by myself in October and reading your posts have held me over for the time being. Thanks!

TAK
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby TAK » Wed Apr 26, 10:28 pm

Tall Guy wrote:Blu-Tak will help stabilise the camera too, or maybe a lump of sticky hash

I'll help you hold your camera for that lump of hash.

Dag
TAK

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”