DedBud May 2003 - Day 10 - Last Full Day

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

DedBud
super power poster
super power poster

DedBud May 2003 - Day 10 - Last Full Day

Postby DedBud » Mon Jun 09, 5:57 pm

Reading loser's first day trip report reminded me that I am delinquent on posting the ending of my trip.

This was my day for catching a few more places on my list and to do a little shopping for the trip back. Nope....no special souvenirs coming home with me this time. First time for everything I guess. I took a swing through the Nieuwmarket flea market again this week and almost bought a set of russian dolls of the Beatles but couldn't decide between 2 different sets they had so I blew it off and save my last few Euros for some real artwork. I headed over towards the Thorbeckeplein Art Markt and stopped in at Le Monde on the Rembrandtsplein for breakfast. I ordered up an English Breakfast here but the wait was interminably long. They were obviously short-staffed but even when another server showed up it took fucking forever to get my breakfast and then my bill. I did get a little entertainment when apparently a pickpocket wandered through the tables and grabbed a purse and was promptly chased down the street by a couple of diners and a waiter from the cafe next door. They came back with the purse but I didn't see if the pickpocket suffered a little street justice in the process.

I grabbed another oil painting from Willem Henk at the art market to complement the one I bought from him last October. They were 40 Euro each time. Next time I'll bring some more money and get one of the larger pieces I think. Stix on Utrechtstraat was my next stop for a wake-and-bake.

I realized I hadn't been by one of my usual hangouts, The Dolphins, yet so I wandered over in that direction and stopped in to The Other Side, the small gay coffeeshop (not the dirty biker one) and had soda before roaming on over to The Dolphins. It was actually getting a bit on the hot side and was glad to see that they have air conditioning at The Dolphins so I stayed there to cool down with a couple of beers.

On my walk back through the RLD, I visited Rick's Cafe, which was one of the first places I went to in '86 but the outside tables were all packed and inside it was a bit to stuffy. A small beer here was about all I could take before I had to get out for some air.

It was really a better day for walking around enjoying the sunshine than hanging out in coffeeshops but my allergies were really bugging the shit out of me. I had been trying to send some email all week but was having no luck since every computer I tried didn't have a POP server set up on their email client. I tried out Coffeeshop FreeWorld to see if I had better luck there but had the same problem. I suppose I could have plugged in my POP address in their Outlook program but I didn't have the settings with me and I didn't want a week's worth of my email downloaded on their computer either.

The Doors Palace was next after trudging through the debris of a torn up street. Although it wasn't air conditioned it was large and breezy enough in here to give my sinuses a break for a bit. I killed some time playing a little pool and pinball and sure enough you won't really find much Doors music playing here just like the other Doors coffeeshop. They do however have a hell of a lot of Doors memorabilia plastered all over the walls.

On my way over to the Dam to meet up with Progress and his bud, I grabbed a coffee at Chocolata and contemplated getting a few bonbons for the plane ride home but decided I have no interest in sitting on a crowded plane stoned from munchables.

Progress must have been held up at the beach or something and they never showed up at 6:00. I waited around and watched the crowd and the living statues on the Dam for a bit before going down the Rokin to Tara, which is one of my favorite Irish style bars in town. I didn't see any ashtrays on the bar and when I asked for one the bartender pointed out theat the thin metal trough running along the base of the bar was the ashtray. I kind of thought thats what it might be for but it looked more like they could run hamster races through the bar with the trough. He gave me an ashtray anyway so that I could at least place my cigarette down now and then.

I had a jones to try some good beer again so I went searching for Gollem. I didn't remember exactly which little street it was down so I went up and down the little alleys around Spui until I found it. I got in and ordered up a Westleveteren and the guy next to me on the small bar commented "going for the best right off huh?" I told him how I had been here before but hadn't tried this one yet. He was an american here on business but taking advantage of his time to visit some of his favorite beer sources in Belgium and The Netherlands. The bartender treated us to a cheese and mustard plate while I savored my beer.

I went into Kadinski next to try to finish off a little more of my leftover stash before stumbling back down the torn up street to Old Style and another couple of beers and a joint. On my way out of there I ran into loser trying to navigate through the pedestrians on his bike. We went over to Siberie where he stocked up on some Siberie Tiger while I chilled out with a coke.

After going home and getting a little head start on packing and getting some dinner, I went over to the Globe to spend most of the rest of the night watching some football (soccer) and talking to some Brits on their first trip really enjoying Amsterdam. I guess they had been here before on business and finally decided to take the trip on their own time for some real fun.

On Monday morning I went out to get some breakfast but found most cafes still closed or just cleaning up prior to opening. I got some coffee at Bluebird before going to Tis Fris for a sandwich. I had been here last time and suffered through terrible service when it was crowded. This time it was almost empty but the service was no better.

Time to head back and finish the last load of laundry and packing before rolling my bag down the street to Central Station and off to Schiphol. I was glad I had decided not to bring anything back since they X-Rayed all my bags before I even got to the ticket counter and then once I was in line, they pulled me out of line for a more thorough hand-search of all my bags. At the gate I was singled out for another search of my carry on bag and they X-Rayed my shoes. I suppose if I had used one of my usual methods they really wouldn't have found anything on me anyway though since they didn't really go through my clothes as they searched for weapons.

The flight back was uneventful but as usual I couldn't sleep. Instead I caught up on a couple of movies looking forward to US customs going through my stuff and me not having to worry about anything for once. Of course after landing in Chicago, they just waved me through customs as usual. Damn....still haven't got that monkey off my back of having never been searched at US customs. So much for our "police state."

Now I have to compile all my notes and update my much-promised cheat sheet spreadsheet so I can get it out to those that are travelling soon. Hopefully I'll get it done today or tomorrow.

SuZe
power poster
power poster

Nice report...

Postby SuZe » Tue Jun 10, 1:00 am

I feel like I've already been to Amsterdam...okay, not quite, but your trip reports are outstanding! Thank you.

And, thank you in advance for the cheat sheet. I'm sure it will kick butt and come in handy when I'm in Amsterdam next week.

(eek...next week!)

running wild
power poster
power poster

Postby running wild » Tue Jun 10, 1:51 am

Thanks for the Trip Report Deadbud. What did you think of the Siberian Tiger from Siberie? I've baught a lot of edelweiss from them and really like the Siberie Coffeeshop. The beer is also hard to not indulge in when in the Netherlands. I drank an awesome weißbier in the Hague last March. Matter of fact I had about 9 of them - the taste was heaven after smoking some Santa Maria that I had brought with me to the Hague from Rusland in Amsterdam. Take care and hope to meet up with you one of these days in a'dam. running wild

DedBud
super power poster
super power poster

Postby DedBud » Tue Jun 10, 1:55 am

I didn't try the Tiger. Loser bought some but I had just finished toasting up at Old Style and needed to keep my legs under me. I'm sure he'll give a report.

BlueBerry
super power poster
super power poster

Postby BlueBerry » Tue Jun 10, 2:23 am

Cool ass reports man, thanks sooo much, I enjoyed them all immensely!

BlueBerry

moe.
super power poster
super power poster

Postby moe. » Wed Jun 11, 4:09 am

Most enjoyable indeed, and well worth the wait. Thanks again for the great reports, I've enjoyed every one. Just think, in about a month or so, we'll be getting another one from LH too! I love this place.

moe.

DedBud
super power poster
super power poster

Postby DedBud » Thu Jun 12, 3:11 pm

It's a Flaming Homer damnit.....moe stole my drink!!!!!!

buckofive
power poster
power poster

Postby buckofive » Thu Jun 12, 3:54 pm

"According to this the secret ingredient is... LOVE!

Euaaagh! Who's been playing with the mass spectrometer again?"

~Professor John Frink

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”