Luton to paradise - Aug 05 Day 3

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

stiffoak571
power poster
power poster

Luton to paradise - Aug 05 Day 3

Postby stiffoak571 » Fri Mar 03, 6:57 pm

Day 3

Weather much better so had light brekkie at the pseudo French place on Damrak then got a bike from the hire place on Damstraat. Took it up past CS to the ferry. Have always wondered what is on the other side and today was my chance to find out. Pleasant and efficient ferry across then it was just me and a map and of course I got lost. In my Lonely Planet there is a route out into the country and yes I found the country, there were fields and cows and pretty water meadows but none of it bore any resemblance to what the book told me I should be looking at. Had wanted the view across the IJ but missed the turn ended up middle of nowhere for quite awhile until I decided I would like some chance of getting back the other side so navigated a route following electric pylons and then found a path back to the ferry.

From CS headed down Prinsengracht stopped for drink and a decision wanted to see the recently unveiled Anne Frank statue down in the south so did the full pedal down past museums until I got to Merwedeplein. Although the statue is great I still wish there was something like the blue plaques in London at number 37. I like the fact that this was where she lived and if youve been to the house then it completes the picture.

While Im on the subject of Anne I do hope that all of Holland gives Miep the send off she deserves. I know there is still a lot of guilt and embarrassment about what happened, but Mieps life should be celebrated as the example of how dreadful times can make heroes of ordinary people.

On a less cultural note I biked up to Sarphati Park and stopped at Park118, which as some may know is a prive house. The choice was limited and I settled on a girl of south-east Asian appearance (she said she was Thai but the other site said Philippines) Anyway, had a relaxing hour (great to get a whole hour) with bath and massage for the same it costs for half hour in the RLD. It is a great place but a long way to go to find only 3 girls on and thinking shall I bother at all?

Lunch at cafn corner of park before heading back to centre via a quick circuit of Vondel Park. Love the park when it is hot and full of people, but this was cooler and mid afternoon on a Friday and quiet.

One of my favourite Amsterdam stories involves the park I was on a stag do (yes I know the crowds of annoying Brits that we hate so much) and on the Sunday we had hired bikes and Mal, one of our crowd had purchased several different strains from the Old Church for a tasting session (he being an old pro from living on Koh Samui for 6 months living the Beach lifestyle). Eventually after some beer stops got to the park gloriously sunny very busy Sunday. Mal made the joints and after ? hour 3 of our group had passed out! It was clear they could not ride their bikes back so 3 of us took their bikes back then taxi to park to get our own then this taxi driver gave us the fabled Gezellig moment:
can you wait here while we get our friends?
sure no problem
look well give you some money now..
no need
but we could just disappear in the park
no its okay I trust you
And sure enough he was still waiting at the gate when we returned with the groggy 3 to be dumped back in Dam Square. Brilliant! And I know that taxis often get a bad press in the Dam, but this guy was pure Mokum!

Sauna deco for another session before a last smoke at Greenhouse and a wander through the RLD.

Knew it was time to go, but wandering back to the hotel to get my luggage I had a moment of absolute clarity I had walked done OZA to where it meets OZA and Grimburgwal the sun was setting in the west and I saw it disappear over the buildings towards Spui catching the last of the light on the canal. It was a beautiful moment, both tranquil and centred in the life of the city that I love.

After that the return CS/Schipol/Luton all just blurred home until I could come home again!

Think I should return with someone I love to the city I love

mark1
super poster
super poster

Postby mark1 » Wed Mar 15, 3:57 pm

Nice solo report Stiffoak - I enjoyed them all and thanks for taking the time.

hank
power poster
power poster

Postby hank » Wed Mar 15, 5:16 pm

Thanks for the report, been craving a new trip read. I'll definatly rent a bike next trip. Sarphatipark, have to check it out also.

viking
super power poster
super power poster

Re: Luton to paradise - Aug 05 Day 3

Postby viking » Wed Mar 15, 6:28 pm

stiffoak571 wrote:Sauna deco for another session before a last smoke at Greenhouse and a wander through the RLD.

Nice report stiffoak.

I thought the Sauna Deco (on Herengracht, right?) was just a really
nice (non-sexual) sauna for a mixed crowd. Haven't been, but I've
read about it. When you said you went there for another "session",
do you mean a session like the one at Park118, or what?

theguest
super power poster
super power poster

Postby theguest » Wed Mar 15, 9:55 pm

I think you really capture the solo wanderings in Amsterdam. Only place I have ever hollidayed solo is Amsterdam and I love it as much as being with mates. Seems you do as well.

stiffoak571
power poster
power poster

Postby stiffoak571 » Sat Mar 18, 1:51 pm

viking wrote:
stiffoak571 wrote:Sauna deco for another session before a last smoke at Greenhouse and a wander through the RLD.

Nice report stiffoak.

I thought the Sauna Deco (on Herengracht, right?) was just a really
nice (non-sexual) sauna for a mixed crowd. Haven't been, but I've
read about it. When you said you went there for another "session",
do you mean a session like the one at Park118, or what?

no session just meant going in again - it isnt sexual but there are gorgeous naked women and various stimulants are in the system so it is both cool and a turn on at the same time

lctricity
super power poster
super power poster

Postby lctricity » Sat Mar 18, 7:01 pm

stiffoak571 wrote:had light brekkie at the pseudo French place on Damrak

Is this the cafe on the corner North of FEBO? What's that place called again?

stiffoak571 wrote:I had walked done OZA to where it meets OZA and Grimburgwal the sun was setting in the west and I saw it disappear over the buildings towards Spui catching the last of the light on the canal. It was a beautiful moment, both tranquil and centred in the life of the city that I love.

Think I should return with someone I love to the city I love

Very well said.

Can't wait for the upcoming trip with my better half. To catch the final sunset and/or sunrise before departure are truely a few of the simple pleasures.

We'll surely be getting lost on our bikes on the upcoming trip as well. Wouldn't be the same if I didn't get lost at least once per trip. Such is the beauty of exploration.

Great reports & Pics!

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Sweet Finish.

Postby LastHamlet » Wed Apr 12, 7:19 pm

Nice finish-up, Stiffoak, it was good to read this final addition to your reports.
Ahhh, the solo ventures can be fun, and many thanks for posting the report.
Best Regards,
LH
Last edited by LastHamlet on Fri Apr 14, 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dogbreath
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Dogbreath » Fri Apr 14, 12:44 am

Nice reports. I enjoyed reading them.

Ahhhh.... Amsterdam.

Dogbreath

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”