hemp hotel

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

patrick

hemp hotel

Postby patrick » Wed Jun 04, 12:02 am

i noticied in a post somewhere somebody mentioned staying at the hemp hotel, i have always wondered about the hotel. anybody have any insight? thanks

dobbs
power poster
power poster

Postby dobbs » Wed Jun 04, 1:26 am

I love the Hemp Hotel. I've stayed there 4 times since 1999 and always felt really comfortable there. I correspond with the manager (owners daughter) and really do consider it to be a home away from home. HOWEVER, I got an email from her saying that they temporarily closed this past March. Their lease on the Frederiksplein building came up for renewal and they've decided to look for a larger building cause they really had outgrown the one they were in. The original one only had 5 rooms, and in all the times I stayed there was never a vacancy and they were constantly turning people away due to lack of space. Hopefully soon they will have a new home. Just in case, I plan to reserve a Citymundo for my
hypothetical trip in October, but I'll drop the apartment reservation like a hot rock (and happily lose my deposit), if the Hemp Hotel gets up and running in a new spot by then.
What awesome folks they are!!! Go Hemp!

LaTristesseDurera
super power poster
super power poster

Postby LaTristesseDurera » Wed Jun 04, 2:51 am

My friends who stayed at the Hemp Hotel would echo Dobbs senitment. In July when the four of us split an apartment they went to the Hemp Hotel twice just to hang at the bar.

However, they are very low maintenance (my friends) and from what they described the hotel is definitely not the a place where my wife and I would stay. It is 100% no frills. But if all you care about is a clean room and friendly staff, and can forego things such as TV, turn down service and in-room dining then this is definitely your place.

This would be the good time to start a discussion: Would you rather have more frequent trips by budget spending or save up until you can go hog wild?

I prefer to have a substantial cushion when it comes to money spending. I will generally have to have saved $5000 to go on a 7 day trip. I will spend considerably less than that, probably around $3000, but I like to know that the money is there. That's why, although I would love to, I can't take advantage of Singapore Air's latest sale from Newark.

buckofive
power poster
power poster

Postby buckofive » Wed Jun 04, 9:58 am

LaTristesseDurera wrote:This would be the good time to start a discussion: Would you rather have more frequent trips by budget spending or save up until you can go hog wild?"

Personally, I really depends on where I am going. I think that Amsterdam by its very nature lends itself to a more budget approach. You can go several times a year, stay at the same places, do the same things, but have totally different experiences.

Personally, I don't really find that the places you could stay if you do go all out really warrant the differences in cost you could get at a more bargain establishment. Sure the Grand Hotel, Amstel, or other 5 star hotel would give you all sorts of creature comforts, but does having a hotel with 220 count Egyptian cotton sheets really make a difference when you are passed out from bong rips.

If I did have to go to Amsterdam and I was going to pull out all of the stops, I would spend my money partying hitting the coffeshops, bars, and nightclubs. I would also get a big ole apartment from Citymundo and then have one bad ass house party, inviting all of the interesting people I had met at the previously mentioned coffeshops, bar, and nightclubs...

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Wed Jun 04, 3:35 pm

Hey Dobbs, when in Oct.? Dobbs, LTD and Buck O Five. I already posted this but we (4 guys) were aced out of the houseboat apartment we were planning on for our Oct. trip. LTD which city Mundo did you guys stay in was it suitable for 4 (or were you two couples)? Looking for suggestions. Three of my group are "newbies", needless to say I want them to have a great experience.
Pax

buckofive
power poster
power poster

Postby buckofive » Wed Jun 04, 4:32 pm

So does this mean that there is no point in checking out the rental next Tuesday? If not, I'' keep my eye out for other places. I might have a line up for you. Details to follow...

LaTristesseDurera
super power poster
super power poster

Postby LaTristesseDurera » Wed Jun 04, 6:48 pm

BOhannon wrote: LTD which city Mundo did you guys stay in was it suitable for 4 (or were you two couples)?
Pax

It was two couples, but it was a 3 bedroom apartment with a sleeper sofa, so we were able to have a friend stay in the extra bedroom for a night. Probably could have slept 8 (4 couples).
Anyway I didn't get it through citymundo, I got it through www.canalwatch.com
They have a bunch of similar apartments and they're very nice. Ours was called 'Barolo". The others range in size so you should be able to find a good fit.
They are kind of pricey, but they charge in American dollars and their prices haven't changed since I went last year, so it's obviously considerably cheaper in Euro now because of the exchange rate.

Weldon
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Weldon » Wed Jun 04, 11:44 pm

I don't see how a lot of you do it. I always seem to be going on a budget then overspending. Budget travel has got me there 6 times in 6 years. I wouldn't put up with some of the conditions I have in Amsterdam elsewhere. But I wouldn't trade the experience either. I'm most interested in cheap airfare, cheap accomodations and occasional cheap eats. After that, anything goes.

Aside from buying any bud I feel like, I end up shopping for things I can't easily get here. I'll be drinking Dutch coffee and eating Dutch chocolate till Christmas. I'll be using spices I got over there for longer than that. I give a lot of things away as gifts too, so it saves me trips to the mall over here. Now, if only Geels & Co would open up a store here in SF like Julius Meinl opened up a store in Chicago, I'd be in heaven.

If I had more money to spend, I'd stay in Amsterdam longer or go in summer as opposed to staying for my 9 days at the Krasnapolsky.

LaTristesseDurera
super power poster
super power poster

Postby LaTristesseDurera » Thu Jun 05, 1:46 am

Weldon wrote:I don't see how a lot of you do it. I always seem to be going on a budget then overspending. Budget travel has got me there 6 times in 6 years. I wouldn't put up with some of the conditions I have in Amsterdam elsewhere. But I wouldn't trade the experience either. I'm most interested in cheap airfare, cheap accomodations and occasional cheap eats.

I'm guessing you go alone. I don't want to paint my wife as some sort of a snob, but she wouldn't even consider staying in a budget hotel. Plus, cheap eats are not always on the agenda because we like to have nice romantic dinners at expensive restaurants. (And the more money I spend on her the cooler she is with the fact that we spend all our vacations in Amsterdam. You know, relationships gotta have some give and take...)
I should point out that during three of our trips we stayed at the Hilton for free (6 nights), and just this January we had 4 free nights at the Pulitzer. (Courtesy of Hilton Hhonors and Starwood Preferred Guest.) A step up from the Park Hotel (still very nice) where we stayed our first 3 trips (Plus the apartment we rented we had paid for 60 days in advance so that seemed free too.) When you get top class accomodation gratis, you tend to be looser with the cash. So the $3000 figure I gave in my earlier post is a bit deceptive because that doesn't usually cover lodging.
Sometimes things are outrageously expensive, but worth it. We took a dinner canal cruise on a salon boat, which cost 637 Euro (plus I tipped the skipper 50, cos I know it isn't his boat.) It was easily one of the most memorable things I will ever do and the kind of thing I will tell my grandchildren about (in between bong hits...) You just can't put a price on that kind of thing, well, obviously you can, and they did, but you know what I mean....

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

That's a Lot of Euro.

Postby LastHamlet » Thu Jun 05, 6:55 pm

I like to spend some jack myself, but 637 Euro for a cruise, man that should have come with a girl. And I mean a girl that will let me kiss her and touch her face. Then it would be worth the 637...
Now, seeing how you took your wife, I assume that that was not the case.
I don't usually respond to the cost of things, as I feel mostly like you do, that some things are well worth it. Reading that I just got to ask; was that a miss-print LTD, on the 637 Euro's...???

LaTristesseDurera
super power poster
super power poster

Re: That's a Lot of Euro.

Postby LaTristesseDurera » Thu Jun 05, 9:19 pm

[quote="LastHamlet"]I like to spend some jack myself, but 637 Euro for a cruise, man that should have come with a girl. And I mean a girl that will let me kiss her and touch her face. Then it would be worth the 637...
Now, seeing how you took your wife, I assume that that was not the case.
I don't usually respond to the cost of things, as I feel mostly like you do, that some things are well worth it. Reading that I just got to ask; was that a miss-print LTD, on the 637 Euro's...???[/quote

Yes it was 637: here's the breakdown:

cruise 2 1/2 hrs. at 120/hr = 3000

3 course Dinner including bottle of Champagne as apertif, bottle of white wine with the meal and a glass of port for myself and a Baileys coffee for the wife with dessert - about 300

The boat stopped at 3 of the best restaurants in Amsterdam. Zuid Zeeland, La Rive and the NH Doelen Hotel. The skipper hopped out of the boat and brought us each course. It was awesome...as they say in the Mastercard commercial...priceless

If anyone has as little regard for their wallet as I do check out the boat owner's webpage at www.privateboattours.nl

LaTristesseDurera
super power poster
super power poster

oops

Postby LaTristesseDurera » Thu Jun 05, 9:20 pm

oops I mean 2 1/2 hrs at 120/hr = 300

I'm sure you knew that but I thought I'd point it out before some troll did

Weldon
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Weldon » Thu Jun 05, 11:17 pm

LTD - You're right; 4 of my 6 trips have been by myself.

My first trip was probably the most expensive because we came in summer and I had my daughter with me. I had to assure her certain creature comforts that I could do without like the better hotel and eating at less divey places. The other time I went with my sweetie and again, the regimen was different as we went out more and dined at nicer places. I also had to buy gear for two instead of just me. Also stayed in a nice double room at the Kap. Most of my travel has also been in winter when rates are lowest.

My next trip is not going to be alone. My current girlfriend prefers more standard American-style accomodations. That's OK with me after having to share a bathroom with tobacco smokers and reluctant flushers. I may be getting a bit too old for that. We'll probably go to more museums and dine out nicer than I did on my last trip. Even if she can't go, I really wantt o encourage a friend to come along. The first lone trip was fun, a new adventure, but it got less and less so after that.

The last three trips have been free airfare. I haven't been able to score premium accomodations like you have. After budget and family style hotels, I may be ready for a couple of steps up. `But, the next trip I want to get a place from CityMundo if I can't get a reasonable price for a hotel. Or maybe base myself in Haarlem. If I went to Amsterdam and just ate, slept and partied it would probably be a cheaper trip. But I usually come back with an array of gifts and items for use around the house.

637E for a dinner cruise! My hotel, transportation and gear probably cost that much on the last trip. But whether you spend a lot of a little, I think the common denominator is the extent of freedom one enjoys while in the Netherlands. It's the same for anybody who comes there.

Tot ziens

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”