New Year's Trip - Day 5

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

thaioneon
regular
regular

New Year's Trip - Day 5

Postby thaioneon » Sun Jan 15, 2:33 am

SUNDAY, JANUARY 1ST, 2006 - DAY FIVE

We were up at 11am and feeling pretty good considering. Left the room at 1:30 pm and had our poffertjures and juice on Dam Square. We then walked through the mess of red paper from the spent fireworksand all other kinds of debris and over to the Nieuwemarket Square where we saw an impressive pile of spent fireworks still smoldering. Then into Café Fortyn and had a bowl of tomato soup and a hot goat cheese and walnut sandwich, both of which were very good. I shared some of my sandwich with the friendly black cat who sat perched on the bar stool next to me. We were a little disappointed because we were looking forward to a bowl of that delicious mushroom soup that we had here last year at this time but were informed that that was last year’s soup (meaning last winter’s).

It was now 3:30 pm so we went back over to the Nieuwe Kerk to hear the organ concert but apparently it was cancelled as the place was locked even though the sign said that the concert was to begin at 3 pm. Oh well, time to go to the party at the Wynand and Fockink instead. Life is so tough here! We had a pear liquer and a de Ryjk beer and a souvenir bottle of their jenever and all was on the house as is customary here on New Year’s Day.

We then took a taxi to our next party of the day to the Ij Brewery. Again they were pretty packed inside, but we managed to find a nice spot in the back corner by the window. We had a couple of rounds of our favorite beers, the first round was on the house. We also shared our complimentary bowl of fish soup and fresh bread which was very tasty. Never did get a chance to say hello to Tom as it was very busy and we only saw him briefly.

Took our leave at 6 pm and trammed it to the Leidsespleine and up Leidsestraat over to dinner at Los Pilones. Had another terrific dinner here. We shared some guacamole which proved to be way too spicy for me and I had the house special which was chicken and zucchini in a delicate artichoke sauce. M had the taco special which was a soft tortilla with steak and fried pork. Washed all of this down with lots of water for me and a margarita for M.

We then took our leave and headed back towards Dam Square stopping at the Café’ Luxemburg on Spui Square for some coffee and hot chocolate and were pleasantly surprised to find a jazz guitar trio playing and an available table facing the square. Stayed for a little while and M was exhausted and was hitting the proverbial wall so we returned to the hotel at 9pm and called it an evening.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”