Father and Son Days 6 and 7

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

El Tesoro
power poster
power poster

Father and Son Days 6 and 7

Postby El Tesoro » Sun Oct 16, 9:21 pm

It's day 6 and I awake with the knowledge and ache that we're more than half-way through our trip.

"We need more culture!" I declaim, so desptie a late start it's early afternoon when we reach the end of our mile hike to Artis, the zoo in Amsterdam. It's a beautiful warm Wednesday and there are plenty of smiling faces as we tour the big cats and the apes and the pink flamingos and other pretty birds. It's nearly $20 a piece admission but there's easily a days worth of wandering and meandering to be done here. We enjoyed it. I took about 3 dozen pix, easy, maybe 50 here, including some of thezoo buddhas, neat place to hang out and chill, wink wink nudge nudge.

We spend an easy 3 hours visiting the zoo creatures. Eventually we tear ourselves away from our cozy bench and scramble across streets and down alleys map in hand, to find het Ballonetje, a coffeeshop over close to the Amstel. I think there's some University of Amsterdam here. Anyway we find the shop easy enuf and score cappucinos, Santa Maria, AK 47 and Nepalese Temple Ball.

Resupplied, we journey the entirety of the east-west axis across the old heart of town, out to Siberie on the Brouwersgracht, at the north end of the western grachtengordle.

Reggae plays loud on the house stereo, it's minutes after sunset, the coffeeshop is peopled but not yet crowded. We suck back sodas and gaze across the very pretty canal.

Time seems to stand still. The view is a sublime one and entrnaces us. Or maybe it's the aromatic Santa Maria jay we sparked.

Some time later we rouse ourselves and amble norht a few blocks to the Haarlemmerstraat and the Pink Floyd coffeeshop. Seems like warmer vibes here, friendlier budtender, or maybe it's our mellowing 'tude.

We pick up some Mother's Finest and a hefty chunk of Ummagumma and a brace of slices of their legendary spacecake. Then we sit s spell, absorbing the plentitude of Floyd tunes in the mix. There's a speaker just over my head and I'm loving it.

Pink Floyd is a highly recommended shop. Great gear too, some of our favorite smoke of the trip.

Too tired to walk home, we use the'kaart to book passage on the #4 tram from de Spui back up to the West End Bridge on the Singelgracht, a block and a hlaf from our boat home.

Upon arival, the ugly head of exhaustion is reared, and it's an early night for this old fart.

Day 7 Thursday

There's a quickening of the spirit this morning, an urgency to do some walkin'. I awken the son after my return form the easyinternetcafe (no I don't own stock, so stop asking). A slice of the Pink Floyd spacecake washed down with hot strong turkish coffee. Breakfast of Champions!

It's to be another day of father and son style sightseeing, and htat means plenty of hikin g around town, rubber-necking our way where no one fears to tread. Today we head over to Waterlooplein and it's busy flea market. It's less than a mile from the boat. The market is busy but holds little interest for us other than the people watching, which is just so-so.

We head for the RLD, where in Baba I buy one of their cool t-shirts. It's an XL but I shoulda gone for the XXL after shrinkage. We find a spot outdoors at a canalside bar on a hated terrace. We sip Belgian wheat beers and watch a pair of North Africans entice tourists into buying illicit drugs.

My roller rolls a tight one and we have another round of biers.

Later we cruise back through the RLD to find Bluebird, a large coffeeshop on Saint Antoniesbree straat. Nice view from the floor above street level. We spend easy time here and drink some sodas. Did we really buy a pair of cupcakes here or did that happen tomorrow????!

Eventually we grab a #4 and scoot back toward home. We stop at the Herengracht stop on Utrechtsestraat and go to the bakery for bread and pastries for later, then up the street to Tujuh Maret for Bintangs and an 18-dish rijstaffel with tons of rice on the side for eating with the heavenly meat and veggies morsels we sampled from the 18 small spicey hot dishes. Absolutely delissh! Tujuh Maret comes highly recommended.

After watching marchiing bands and war veterans on the Turkish channel of the tv, it's early to bed again for moi.

Tomorrow we go to Haarlem.

End transmission......................ET

Sir Ian of Tokesville
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Sir Ian of Tokesville » Sun Oct 16, 10:08 pm

Watch out Haarlem the professionals are hitting town !

Great read dad. I will not be in town till the 22nd but I expect to find the smoked trail you have scorched between the doors of the coffeeshops you have ripped a blaze through.

Banks
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Banks » Sun Oct 16, 11:46 pm

Nice job again, ET! Sounds like you were having a blast!

Dave J
power poster
power poster

Postby Dave J » Sun Oct 16, 11:48 pm

Another decent read!.

Dave J

Santoka
super poster
super poster

Postby Santoka » Mon Oct 17, 12:24 am

Thanks for continuing the saga, El T. Posted at 4:21 no less!

I love that calm view across the Brouwersgracht that you see when you look out of Siberie's door...

oracle
super power poster
super power poster

Postby oracle » Mon Oct 17, 2:29 pm

Really nice report, El T! ENJOY the Ummagamma hash-a favourite.
No doubt you are in Harlem now-savour this little gem of a town.

.Peace.

hank
power poster
power poster

Postby hank » Mon Oct 17, 4:25 pm

Stayed in Haarlem last june, nice walk from the train station to ww sativa, mellow after the Dam, went to the market in Beverwijk for a day,well worth it. Took a trip with my son in 2000 nov and had a blast,not as much smoke as you though but the cake from Bluebird was a lot stronger than i expected. Looking forward to more..

JohnnyHempseed
power poster
power poster

Postby JohnnyHempseed » Mon Oct 17, 11:25 pm

yuppers, another great read. how long ago did this trip happen?

El Tesoro
power poster
power poster

Trip Happened

Postby El Tesoro » Wed Oct 19, 1:21 pm

This father and son adventure happened in March 2004. My son and I have a history of taking roadtrips together, back since I flew home with him for the holidays when he was 6 months old. But prior to the A'dam trek, we hadn't done much roadtripping in years.

This trip was a great time to hang out and just enjoy each other's company. My son had dropped out of college the year before and was kicking around at job in the restaurant biz, learning as much as he could about how it all works. We talked during the trip about his maybe getting back to school some time.

Currently he is re-enrolled at community college and taking a full load of coursework and is marketing editor of the school newspaper.

Me? I'm just a lawnmower. Uh, no, I mean I'm just a Federal slave, in training this week at a secret enclave in the Mountaineer State. Free phones and free internet. Hooray!

Next Father and Son post in approximately 10 days.

ET

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Wonderful Roads, that We Cross.

Postby LastHamlet » Thu Oct 20, 6:11 pm

Many Best on your next adventure El Tesoro, and may it be as adventurous as this one.
It makes me wished I had known my Dad a little better, and had shared more times with him.
These adventures of a a similar nature, in ways, as the wonderous combo of MHD and Blackout.
Very interesting report. BTW< love the reports on the Siberie, it is one of my favorites.
Many Best Regards,
LH

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Thu Oct 20, 8:41 pm

Most excellent of reports. Great detail of mindset. LH is to kind and quite correct when he says you remind me of me sometimes. It's almost as nice remembering or telling the stories as living them. Sometimes it is only in retrospect that you realize the magic that occured at the time.

mhd

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby LastHamlet » Fri Oct 21, 1:37 pm

MileHighDenver wrote:Most excellent of reports. Great detail of mindset. LH is to kind and quite correct when he says you remind me of me sometimes. It's almost as nice remembering or telling the stories as living them. Sometimes it is only in retrospect that you realize the magic that occured at the time.

mhd

MHD, That was a lot better than what I had.

The wording in your posts is as stylish as speaking with you in the person.
Hey, it would be a hoot if both Father and Son Combo's were in AMS at the same time.
Likely my Dad and I would have never had a good time together in AMS, as we were cut from two different fibers, but it is good to see when the fibers are near the same(Or at least compatable), to make for an awesome adventure.

Many Best Regards,
LH

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”