Planing a trip (need all the help I can get)

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

mixmasterbert
new
new

Planing a trip (need all the help I can get)

Postby mixmasterbert » Sun Sep 18, 7:54 pm

my story is a loag and sad one but i'll try and keep it short. my brother and I are planing our first trip out of the country, we couldn't think of a better plase to go then Amsterdam. ticket from detroit are aroud $580 round trip online. how much do you think a 5-7 day trip will cost? we really don't have much money since we are students. I saw some sites with hotel bundles for 1,300 for 5 nights round trip each person. are we going to be paying 2k each for entiree trip? Any tips on planning a trip would be great. thanks for all the help

sdshadow
super power poster
super power poster

Postby sdshadow » Sun Sep 18, 8:02 pm

You can stay in a hostel for as little as 25 EURO per night per person in a shared room.

mixmasterbert
new
new

Postby mixmasterbert » Sun Sep 18, 8:14 pm

do you have a web link? could i have more info please

sdshadow
super power poster
super power poster

Postby sdshadow » Sun Sep 18, 8:30 pm

www.flyingpig.nl
www.hotelbrian.com
www.bulldog.nl

You could also get a 3 star private room from Priceline for just a few dollars more per night, but that would not incude breakfast.

There are some very inexpensive ways to go, but the hostel is about the cheapest.

sdshadow
super power poster
super power poster

Postby sdshadow » Sun Sep 18, 8:35 pm

And also:

Welkom in Channels!

Chooby
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Chooby » Sun Sep 18, 9:38 pm

Amsterdam is not a cheap vacation. (well, I suppose it can be, but that wouldn't be very much fun)

Its nice to be able to live it up while you are there, not live like a church mouse.

If you fellas are into burning joints, having a few drinks and eating at a nice restaurant each day,(not too mention the Red Light District, or museums and shopping) then 100 euros a day spending money each is a good start. The more scrilla you can muster the better.

A good time in Amsterdam is worth saving up for, so bide your time if you have to, to do it right.

GGraphics
super poster
super poster

Postby GGraphics » Sun Sep 18, 9:50 pm

Chooby wrote:Amsterdam is not a cheap vacation. (well, I suppose it can be, but that wouldn't be very much fun)

Its nice to be able to live it up while you are there...

...then 100 euros a day spending money each is a good start. The more scrilla you can muster the better.

A good time in Amsterdam is worth saving up for... to do it right.

So very true!

Don't Bogart that thing, bra!
-GG

dannymac
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby dannymac » Sun Sep 18, 9:51 pm

Have you tried go-today.com?
As we speak, they've got winter deals priced at $709 for R/T airfare from detroit, 5 nights hotel w/breakfast. We've used them for trips to London and Venice before, and they're are a bargain if you don't want to do the research yourself.
The price usually will drop as you close in on the travel dates though (at least in winter). I had booked our Venice trip in December (as a Christmas present for the wife), for March travel - and the prices promptly dropped $50 p/p in January.

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: Planing a trip (need all the help I can get)

Postby uk*bag*lady » Sun Sep 18, 9:52 pm

mixmasterbert wrote: how much do you think a 5-7 day trip will cost?

It really depends upon what you plan to do whilst in Amsterdam.
Hostels can be very cheap and it is easy to feed yourself cheaply too
But are you going to spend time in coffee shops and /or the red light district? That would make a huge difference to anyones budget!

:-)

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby uk*bag*lady » Sun Sep 18, 9:58 pm

[quote="Chooby"]Amsterdam is not a cheap vacation. (well, I suppose it can be, but that wouldn't be very much fun)

Its nice to be able to live it up while you are there, not live like a church mouse.
quote]

Just out of curiosity I added up what cash I brought home this year against what I had taken and it worked out that I had spent £360 over 2 weeks. This covered transport costs, a €33 Amsterdam Pass, phone cards, internet access and feeding myself for 14 daysplus postacrds & stamps and small gifts to take home. Ok so I don't use the RLD and I only went in the one coffee shop but it seems to me I did quite well to only use £25 per day. So it doesnt HVE to be expensive

Larry
power poster
power poster

Postby Larry » Sun Sep 18, 10:10 pm

www.eurocheapo.com ...has student priced hotel rooms many under EUR 70 for 2 beds with an included breakfast bufett. The Old Center is most central but noisier, Gractengordel West and South are still very close in but mostly in less busy neighborhoods.

I think EUR 20 per day per person might be a budget amount for food. If food is a higher priority figure 5 to 10 for a decent lunch and EUR 20 and up for a restaurant meal. Museum prices average around EUR 10 and EUR 6 will easily take care of all your daily Amsterdam transportation needs. Weed runs 5 to 12 per gram and an entry level shag with a slender, young, beauty in the RLD starts at EUR 50. I'm not a drinker but I think a moderate drinker could easily spend EUR 10/day.

I'm in the planning stages for a budget off season trip from California and am hoping to spend about 1400 Euros for a 9 day (8 nights in the Dam) trip including everything even transportation to/from SFO airport and my total airfare $550 (EUR 685).

US $2000 for 7 days would be a blow out for me with the $550 fare and $50/night hotel I stay at.

RLD expenses are the one thing that can hugely inflate your budget.

www.coffeeshop.freeuk.com ...has a killer downloadable map of the centrum.

www.cwi.nl/~steven/amsterdam.html ...is a great online Amsterdam guide

www.ignatzmice.com ...is the RLD site. Read the RLD FAQ for a start.

Use your bank ATM card to buy Euros in Amsterdam.

Forget this long and sad story shit- you're about ready to embark on the best vacation you've ever taken. Be prepared to have a great time and to get hooked on Amsterdam.

read the hell out of this site- channels.nl

mixmasterbert
new
new

Postby mixmasterbert » Sun Sep 18, 11:03 pm

I looked at the winter deals on go-today.com it looks pretty good, although its a 4 day package. I would have to go from 1/6-1/10. i would like to stay longer since winter classes don't start til 1/16 if i could find a larger package. I also looked at euroCheapo,anyone use these sites for your trip? what hotels do u guys recommend?

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Sun Sep 18, 11:43 pm

I am with UKBL. I would have a hard time spending 100E a day. I get by on less then 50E and do all I want. I could be there broke and still be very happy. However for a first time, better to have a little extra then not enough.

mhd

dannymac
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby dannymac » Sun Sep 18, 11:45 pm

Sorry, the link I gave you is indeed for Amsterdam and Brussels (3 nights each), and they have the 4 night 'escapes' you found. Here's a 6 night trip (depart 12/26-12/28) for $719 p/p dbl occupancy (departing Detroit). The hotel is not in the city center though, but it is during the New Years celebration.

As mentioned earlier, we've used Go-Today a couple times with no problems. You must book online to get these prices, and there are no refunds, but travel insurance is available. I should mention that there'll be some sort of tax added also, but no more than the airlines add.

Including the taxes, I paid about $1200 for our Venice 4 night package last year (wife and myself, 20th anniversary); $2100 for 6 nights in London in 2003 and that was a family of 4 with 2 seperate rooms and travel insurance. Both trips included airfare, hotel, and breakfast. They did not include transportation to and from the airport though (used the Tube in London, and bus in Venice).
Obviously, you'll need to spend some money for the rest of your meals and entertainment - but that can vary considerable depending on what you plan on doing.
For myself, I partake of the RLD/Prives sparingly, but just can't keep out of the coffeeshops.

Chooby
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Chooby » Sun Sep 18, 11:55 pm

MileHighDenver wrote:I am with UKBL. I would have a hard time spending 100E a day. I get by on less then 50E and do all I want. I could be there broke and still be very happy. However for a first time, better to have a little extra then not enough.

mhd

Milehigh, are you telling me all your gear purchases, drinks, food, shopping expenses, etc. comes to 50 or less a day?!??

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Mon Sep 19, 2:01 am

Chooby wrote:
MileHighDenver wrote:I am with UKBL. I would have a hard time spending 100E a day. I get by on less then 50E and do all I want. I could be there broke and still be very happy. However for a first time, better to have a little extra then not enough.

mhd

Milehigh, are you telling me all your gear purchases, drinks, food, shopping expenses, etc. comes to 50 or less a day?!??

Ditto that. I usually try to make a quantity hash purchase (at a discount) from Nol early in the trip. I rarely buy anything else. One nice meal a day and a few beers and snacks comes to less than €50 a day. BTW I do not feel that I am scrimping.

PaXXX

Dave J
power poster
power poster

Postby Dave J » Mon Sep 19, 10:58 am

If your on a tight budget then best going to a cheaper place and having more spending money. I can personally recomend the Bulldog Hotel www.bulldog.nl as a cheap place to stay, I've been there a few times now. But you have to choose weather to get the cheapest room and share in a dorm with others or a private room with can be expensive if only 2 of you are going. A shared room gives you a locker to keep yout things locked in while aways from the hotel. The Bulldog is the most certrally located cheap hotel I know of that I can recomend.

Spending money really depends on what your intending to do during the stay. If your gonna be smoking and like your beer then €100 per day is pretty much a fairly decent target each for a decent spend. This would also include food also by the way. You could get by with less as others have confirmed. But it'd mean having to watch the money all the time and thats not something I'm sure any of us like doing when on holiday. I'm targeting a budget of about €140 per day so I can really enjoy myself.

The best tip is to find somewere to stay that includes the breacfast (cerials, bread rolls, ham, cheese, salami, juice tea and coffee) as you load up on that and it would save you having to buy at least one meal a day saving you about €6 per day each. €6 would buy you a average gram of smokable in a coffeeshop, enough to make 2 smokes out of.

But beer is really where you can spend the money if your ill informed on where to drink. A lot of regular bars will charge you between €5-6 per pint\bottle. So 10 drinks at those sore of prices is a massive hit to your daily allowance and if you drink more than that!!!.

There are places where you can get cheap drinks from of cause if you ask is a seperate thread this might bring a better responce. Ricks Cafe, a coffeeshop does happy hours during the evening giving you a pint of local beer for about €2.60. Hill street Blues, another coffeeshop does cheap beer all day where a pint of beer or a bottle of Bud is €2.80. There is a club called Starlight that has happy hour during the evening 9-11pm I think where drinks are half price. We was drinking Barcadi Breezers for only €2 per bottle. I think bottled beer and pints would also be the same deal. There normal prices are €4 by the way. There is an Irish bar called Salines which does happy hour also, but not sure if it's every night. There you pay €4.50 and get a receipt for the next one free. But the offer only runs for about an hour 8-30pm till 9-30pm I think.

If you like beer, smoking and playing pool than I really suggest you visit Hill Street Blues as it's a decent all round place that has everything.

Dave J

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Mon Sep 19, 3:30 pm

Chooby wrote:

mhd

Yes it's true. Some days I spend 80 and some days I spend 20. It seems to average out around 50. No rental car, no transportation cost(borrowed bike) except a few train tickets. All I really buy is smoke, food and drink. I smoke some, but could not hold a candle to the power smokers here. I got over the souviner thing after my first visit, so I dont bring much home.

I will admit that I would rather have to much money then not enough, but I would still go with not enough.

Chooby
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Chooby » Mon Sep 19, 3:43 pm

My average truth be told is less than 100 a day, but I believe in being prepared.

My first response in the thread was intended (a little bit) to let these 1st timers become aware of the costs of the trip some people incur.

One trip to the RLD is 50 right there, no food, smoke or drink expenses included.

And yes some people do smoke a lot, gear isn't cheap there.

I usually have one meal a day at a place with some tablecloth. My meal with drinks is usually 25-35 Euros.

Museums and canal boat rides are also usually on the first timers "to do" list.

A box of chocolate from Puccini is another 10-20.

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Not Cheap

Postby LastHamlet » Tue Sep 20, 1:31 pm

Solo, I could average 100 to 150 Euros a day, cause the smoke is so good. :-) (And, I will see a sight or two.)
Last trip in April was a budget trip and I did smoke a lot less(Old Age), I averaged 70-85 Euros a day. (Bushdoctors Ice is 25 a gram, so it don't take long to be over budget.) Best idea is to, like BO said, go for the deals on a little more stash. Only problems is, you wind up wanting to try lots of smokes in lots of shops, and if not careful, could end up with a lot of excess gear at the end of the trip. That has a depression all it's own. :-(
On Hotels, and if you do want to have a smoke friendly enviroment, and still have a few basics, try Kap Hotel, Hotel Abba, and DannyMac stayed in one near Herengracht in 2003, that was really neat, can't remember name right off???
Where you stay can have an effect on your trip, so a few more Euros in some cases, will leave you at ease. However, if you get a few people together CityMundo is really hard to beat. They have apartments, boats, and whatever your heart's desire.
Main thought is to have a few more Euros than needed, cause believe me, something will come up. You'll want that perfect momento, or end up like me in my first 6 trips, "A Kid in a Candy Store."
Dam, Chooby, I would like to have a box of those chocolates right now,,, nice added touch :-)
Main Thing is to Go, and Live it, Cause there is Nothing Like it!!!
Many Best Regards,
LH

NOTTOBORING
power poster
power poster

Postby NOTTOBORING » Tue Sep 20, 2:42 pm

yo,

whenever we do the "dam" it's usually possible to doo it between 50-100 euros a day, you need to know where to go tho, and a stay clear of tourist traps designed to wmpty your pot of gold, this is a great site to use as a resource.

ntb

HighCountry
power poster
power poster

Postby HighCountry » Tue Sep 20, 9:38 pm

You can save some food dollars by stocking up on supplies at the grocery store or one of the outdoor markets. You could have good, filling meals at a fraction of the cost of eating in many restaurants. Save your cash for the weed/drink/girls/museums/whatever floats your boat ;-)

Happy Trails....

dannymac
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: Not Cheap

Postby dannymac » Wed Sep 21, 7:11 am

LastHamlet wrote:...DannyMac stayed in one near Herengracht in 2003, that was really neat, can't remember name right off???
No, in '03 I stayed at the Asterisk, which is across the street from the Kap (which I highly recommend). While I can recommend the Asterisk as being 'really neat' (as in very clean and newly remodeled), and inexpensive (I believe it was about 50 Euro's, in June) - they do have a posted "no drugs" policy.

Another hotel that we've stayed at that IS smoker friendly is the Hotel Crystal at 2e Helmerstraat #6, also near the Museumplein and Leidseplein.

JohnnyHempseed
power poster
power poster

Postby JohnnyHempseed » Wed Sep 21, 10:34 am

[/quote]No, in '03 I stayed at the Asterisk, which is across the street from the Kap (which I highly recommend). While I can recommend the Asterisk as being 'really neat' (as in very clean and newly remodeled), and inexpensive (I believe it was about 50 Euro's, in June) - they do have a posted "no drugs" policy.[/quote]

you DID however open a window and puff away though, didnt you?

dannymac
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby dannymac » Wed Sep 21, 3:05 pm

JohnnyHempseed wrote:you DID however open a window and puff away though, didnt you?
Not often but yes, the room had a nice big window that hinged outward from the side.
I also used the cute little park at the end of the street for toking.

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby LastHamlet » Mon Sep 26, 1:42 pm

dannymac wrote:
LastHamlet wrote:...DannyMac stayed in one near Herengracht in 2003, that was really neat, can't remember name right off???
No, in '03 I stayed at the Asterisk, which is across the street from the Kap (which I highly recommend). While I can recommend the Asterisk as being 'really neat' (as in very clean and newly remodeled), and inexpensive (I believe it was about 50 Euro's, in June) - they do have a posted "no drugs" policy.

Another hotel that we've stayed at that IS smoker friendly is the Hotel Crystal at 2e Helmerstraat #6, also near the Museumplein and Leidseplein.

Asterisk was the place, I had my directionals off a bit. It seemed pretty neat, the times I went by. I like the more simple places, in the more quieter locations,,, although I didn't know about the posted policy?
Sometimes that can mean hard drugs, and being on the down-low, and window open, is permitted at times. Although, sometimes places get a little bent over the ghanja smoke. Best to always ask management upon arrival or booking.
Many Best Regards,
LH

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby uk*bag*lady » Mon Sep 26, 2:40 pm

HighCountry wrote:You can save some food dollars by stocking up on supplies at the grocery store or one of the outdoor markets. You could have good, filling meals at a fraction of the cost of eating in many restaurants. Save your cash for the weed/drink/girls/museums/whatever floats your boat ;-)

Happy Trails....

Meals for example don't come much cheaper than the 3 course dinner on offer at Keuken van 1870 for just €7.50. The restuarant is at Spuistraat 4

www.keukenvan1870.nl/

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”