Trip Report: 10e Verjaardag Channels, Part 2, Chapter 2

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Banks
mega power poster
mega power poster

Trip Report: 10e Verjaardag Channels, Part 2, Chapter 2

Postby Banks » Tue Aug 30, 6:04 am

Chapter Two, 23 April 2005

I slept like the proverbial rock… I awoke in the same position I remember falling asleep in. The drapes were open and swaying in the light early morning breeze… I looked at my watch in the morning sun and saw that it was 7:38AM. The joint I had ended last night with was resting comfortably on the window ledge, just begging me to light it back up for a wake and bake. Well, I AM in Amsterdam… and the packages had arrived safe and sound… what the fuck… so I sparked up the remaining half and inhaled deep. The Jack Herer again expanded easily into my lungs, and within a couple of tokes I was indeed baked… but not yet entirely awake. Rolling out of bed, my first step was met with a light crunch of metal and glass… I stepped on my glasses, snapping one lens out and bending the other back at an obtuse angle. Great way to start the day, maestro…

The glasses are beyond anything I can do, so I finished off the doober and jumped into the shower. Really a good size en suite shower, its roominess allowed me to get stretched out a bit and loosened up… especially good while having a shower that stoned… stayed in there a good half an hour. My decision on what to wear that morning was easy… I would jam myself into one of the EXCELLENT 10th Anniversary shirts I nabbed from Birdman on the houseboat yesterday. Black with a Channels logo on front, and the Amsterdam shield on back filled in with the names of those who would be attending the big party, these shirts are awesome! A pair of jeans with some chukka boots, and I’m out and down the 3 flights of steps to the front desk… wearing my sunglasses as I didn’t have another regular set of glasses with me. All went well until half way down the final flight… a slight slip off the rail, and I bounced down the last 8 or so steps to the bottom. Luckily no problems, as bumbles bounce… damn that Jack Herer… 

Harry was over close at the television in the far right corner of the front of the room when I came in… I guess he didn’t hear me fall down the steps or he’s become immune to hearing guests fall down all the time, or maybe just at 8:30AM. Makes me wonder… on any given day in Amsterdam, just how many people fall down steps? I think that number has got to be pretty sizeable, you know? Seems to me that the business to be involved with in Amsterdam must be chiropractic in nature…
I digress…

I went over and told Harry my tale of woe regarding my glasses, and I asked if he knew of an optician nearby. In a moment, he gave me a card with the name of a place up on Utrechtsestraat called Villa Ruimzicht. Harry is indeed the man! I enjoyed my breakfast much more that Saturday morning, now that I could at least take my glasses to someone… and maybe get them repaired before the day was out. I could take wearing my sunglasses during the day as the weather was looking even better than it had been yesterday, and yesterday had been a great sunny Amsterdam day… but they would be hard to take during the evening hours, and I’m not Bob Dylan you know…

I had more than a few cups of coffee that morning, along with a number of croissants with cheese and jelly. A little juice, cereal, and yogurt and I am then good to go. As I stood to leave a couple of euros on the table, I am approached from my left. Turning slightly westward, I am now face to face with a rugged looking man of Asian ancestry and about my height; he extends his right hand to me and says in a perfect British accent, “You must be Banks.”
“Yes I am…” was my swift and witty retort.
“I’m ‘theguest’ on Channels. LastHamlet mentioned you would be staying here,” he replied. With a firm handshake, I get to meet the remaining member of the revered “Hash Masters!” Hopefully later in the day I would once again be meeting his comrades Seouleast, Viking, and PurpleHaze. Smooth and polite, ‘theguest’ and I talked briefly for moment or two to set our bearings for the day. I told him I’d be off to get my glasses back in shape, and he said he was off to meet up with Viking and PurpleHaze I believe, possibly at Coffeeshop Picasso up near the Brouwersgracht.

I went back upstairs and filled my bag with candy, along with the video cam and digital camera, and checked the time… 10:15AM. I shrugged into my old brown leather jacket, and put my wrecked glasses in my inner left pocket. Making sure I didn’t fall again, I knocked on ‘theguest’s door. Quickly the door is opened, and ‘theguest’ finishes rolling a cone using a small mat on his desk. I hadn’t seen anyone use one of those in since the early 1980’s… but in testament to his skills, his spliff came out perfectly aligned and tight. ‘theguest’s room was on the first floor, directly below the fire escape from mine. The only difference being that his room was laid out with the bed on the left side of the room facing in. Our windows opened to the same courtyard. Wait a minute. That’s right… the same courtyard. You know what I’m thinking… am I hearing the same British accented voice of the man I heard enjoying himself last night? Was it ‘theguest’ who was banging her drums last night? Somebody ask him.

With a wave, we parted ways in front of Hotel KAP. It was another stunning morning… crisp and clear, with the sun brightening every nook on the street. Parents were shoving their double bubble strollered kids past me on one side, and 22 year old Dutch girls on bicycles are bleating an approach on the other. I have a good day every now and then…
Tough duty right? Right. It was really beginning to sink in that I had made the trip! A lot of things had to fall into place to make this time happen, and I didn’t want to waste a minute of it. I snapped a couple of pictures of the hotel and the street in that morning light, and then off to find the opticians place of business for me.

I walked east on the Weteringschans to Utrechtsestraat and headed north in the direction of Centraal. By Harry’s directions, I had no more than a few blocks to go in order to find the shop. He was right on… three or so blocks up on the right, there was Villa Ruimzicht at #131. There’s a large pair of glasses out front I believe. With a pull on the door, I was inside a very chic long two level spectacle shop. I was just beginning to peruse their incredible selections when I am greeted by one VERY HEALTHY Dutch girl. She must have stood six feet and three inches tall barefoot, and wore two inch heeled business pumps. Dark haired and very pretty, she wore tiny Armani (I asked…) rimless glasses and a dark blue pinstriped business suit, with a white blouse underneath. Underneath that, I can only imagine? Silk or satin? Leather or lace? A Black Betty with an angel’s face… Abracadabra, Mr. Seouleast!

She listened intently to my tale of woe, and asked for my glasses. I didn’t hold out much hope… mine were pretty mangled. She looked at them for a moment, and then said,
“No problem! It will take no more than a few minutes! I’ll be right back.” She turns around. Nice ass… an athlete’s walk towards the back of the store and up the two steps.
I am incredulous… I was HOPING to be told I could pick them up late in the day!
Off to the back of the store, and down a winding staircase, this Amazon of a woman disappears from sight. I walked around the shop… really nice stuff. Before I knew it, she returns with my glasses looking as good as new! She shows me a spot where the previously semi-crushed frame came away from the lens and was not fixed.
“You need to take these back to the place you purchased them to get this fixed. But you should have no problems for the rest of your trip!” she smiled.
“How much for your services?” I smiled.
“Nothing… please nothing at all.” She smiled back.
This went back and forth for a moment, but I eventually acquiesced and accepted her kindness. It’s a wonderful world! Have I ever told you that I love PEOPLE? I really do… and I loved HER that day! I did leave her with a few samples of my product, and promised to get back to her before closing time that day. Hopefully I would find my way. I did notice there was no ring on her left hand… which was bigger than mine, and not in a dainty way…

Where to next? I hadn’t quite expected to be back out in a mere ten minutes with my glasses now intact, so I had to think for a moment. As I mentioned, it was another stunning day in Amsterdam, so I thought I would just go where the wind pushed me. It pushed me along Utrechtsestraat in the direction of the Centrum. At the intersection of the Prinsengracht canal, I thought it was time to unsheathe the video cam, and shoot some street scenes… the city was wide awake and people were everywhere. There’s a very nice flower stand right there on the bridge, and as I was turning to get some of the vivid colors of the flowers on film I hear my name being called. That is still a very strange thing for me to hear when one finds themselves 4000 miles from home, you know? Well, the voice belonged to the "Crowned Prince of the Prinsenhof," none other than LastHamlet!

I was greeted with a wave and a smile, which I caught on video. A funny little banter between friends, and we are also off in the direction of Picasso. Wouldn’t have mattered where we were heading… a good friend, and in Amsterdam… doesn’t get much better than that, does it? I referred along my story of the glasses, as we set off in the direction of Centraal on the tram. Birds of a feather… LastHamlet had also chosen one of his 10th Anniversary tees from Birdman for the day. With relief, I realized it was a jacket day and I had worn mine… and LastHamlet did his.

LastHamlet and I jumped off just after the Dam in front of that department store. We quickly made our way across the straat, and I shot a little footage of the relentless on rush of people coming from the direction of Centraal Station. While on the tram we had discussed the initial smoke of the day between us would be at De Kuil… very much an appropriate place for a late Saturday morning. Shortly after opening time, LastHamlet and I bellied up to the bar. I ordered an Amstel… I couldn’t resist. I’m not much of an early day drinker, but something about a nice cold Amstel here at De Kuil was too appealing to pass up. LastHamlet made his way back to the weed counter, and I ordered him a coke. While he was away, I decided to check my digital camera and make sure I had some battery power… the HP camera eats up the batteries. Anyway, I took a few quick shots inside De Kuil, with capturing the sweet bottom of the day’s female bartender as an unplanned bonus shot! When she bent over, the camera just went off…

Back from the weed tender with something very nice, LastHamlet proceeded to roll one of his trademarked Doobie Bats for our first smoke. We exchanged a few nice hits, very sweet and pungent. I’m thinking it was Silver Pearl or Blueberry, as I remember De Kuil’s selection of the famed Blueberry to be superior to that of the Noon. LastHamlet, being ever the gentleman, engages a pair of Australians in some dialogue, and next thing I know we are doing bong hits of some hash and grass from the Aussies! LastHamlet adds some hash of his own to the mix, and we are flying WAY HIGH! I had a second Amstel, and LastHamlet another coke. Where to next? Coffeeshop Picasso! We said our goodbyes to the Australians, and headed left out that very familiar straat in the direction of Coffeeshop Picasso.

Along our way, LastHamlet directs me towards a small shop called “HempWorks.” Nice place, with just about everything for sale being a hemp derived product. Go figure…
The girl behind the counter is sweet as can be, and surprisingly blonde. She was very friendly, and agreed to try my candy. I’d get back with her on Sunday, as she would also be working from 10:00AM until 4:00PM tomorrow.

Back on the street, we run into this small parade of sorts, consisting primarily of one wagon wheeled organ of the type I’ve only seen in Holland, brightly painted and trimmed in gold paint. Some old guy was wandering through the crowd asking for donations… he probably wasn’t even with the music playing. Further on down the straat, we came upon Coffeeshop Picasso, and mounted their stairs after noticing some Channelites upstairs. Indeed, there was Otis, Seouleast, Dogbreath, Blueberry, and Wolfdangler I believe. LastHamlet and I took off our jackets and put our bags in a booth before sitting down… and we were promptly asked to get back up and show off the special 10th Anniversary tees we were sporting.

A few doobies got passed around, including one of Seouleast’s thunder sticks… if we weren’t high enough AFTER De Kuil, we sure as hell were now. Some jovial talk with the legendary Dogbreath, and some general catching up with Otis and Seouleast, ad we were ready to get back out on the straats. It was indeed another beautiful day in Mokum, and as we all know, not a time to while away indoors. I had an idea where BOhannon’s place would be, so I thought a trip in that direction seemed like a good idea. Evidently so did LastHamlet, Otis, and Seouleast. From Picasso, a right and then a left as we took off down the Prinsengracht in the direction of the Rijksmuseum.

We hadn’t gone far, and LastHamlet and Seouleast are munching on something already… a broodjie for LastHamlet and ice cream for Seouleast. While taking a couple of pictures at the corner where the outdoor market begins and the canals intersect, this gorgeous early twenties, incredibly conditioned blondish female hellcat lap dances by while yelling at someone on her cell phone. I am urged by the group to capture her on film… which I dutifully accomplish, zoom and all! Then she turns around in a complete 180 degree turn and starts back towards us! I yelled to Seouleast that she was coming back for him, and everyone takes off! She was pissed as hell at whoever was on the other end of that line, and she probably never even noticed us… but we sure noticed her!

We made it down the Prinsengracht to Lauriergracht and found the canal huis that BO, Porkchop, and Bev & Moe were to be staying in… very impressive, and quite large. After knocking and ringing the bell a few times, we guessed they weren’t in. What the fuck… weren’t they expecting us? That was no way to be a host. Seouleast and LastHamlet attempted to light the building on fire by throwing lit match packs into the upstairs windows, but the matches were wet and wouldn’t light. I flicked my Bic and threw that but missed… the lighter went out anyway as soon as I threw it. Dammit…

Back to reality, we walked into the Johnny Jordaan Plein parklet nearby to check out the statues. In moments, who appears out of the bushes with video camera in hand? None other than Old Hippie Dave, who had been in Coffeeshop Johnny I believe (at least I'd like to believe that...). After a few moments of comparing cameras and such, Seouleast and Old Hippie Dave decided to head out in one direction, while Otis went in another to meet some folks elsewhere. LastHamlet and I continued down the Prinsengracht on our way to La Tertulia, as he had never been before. I like the place, and turning a buddy on to a new coffeeshop is great fun. When we arrived, LastHamlet was as taken aback as I was the first time I went there… it is a very unassuming little shop on a surprisingly busy corner. It doesn’t look like a typical coffeeshop in my opinion, but more of a little outdoor café as there are a few tables out in front and the façade of the building has been gardened in a way. More plants and tables are inside, and the café feeling continues. They do serve up a decent little food menu, and have good shakes. The bud and hasj menu isn’t extensive, but what is there is good and nicely priced… I had the best Orange Bud of my life when I was there last September.

LastHamlet grabbed a couple of Loozas for us while I used the facilities, and got us a table inside near the bar. It was cool to listen to the waterfall while enjoying those Loozas. I noticed one of the tables outside was opening up, and we made our way there. Great place to just sit and watch the world go by… as I mentioned, this little corner is a great place to people watch. Dutch chicks on bikes would pedal by, and if they are going fast enough their boobs get airborne as they cross the bump in the road out front… it’s really kind of funny to watch. Especially funny when you are enjoying one of LastHamlet’s bombers at the table! I don’t recall what he had put in that one, but needless to say when he pulled that bat out and lit it up, the table next to us all turned around and had to have a look! I think it looked like one of those torches from “Survivor” billowing smoke!

By now it was getting to be close to 2:30PM or so, and we both needed to get back to our hotels to grab a shower and change for the 4:20 Party at Coffeeshop Bluebird. It would be there that the contest for “Best Joint Roller at the Party” would be awarded since I hadn’t the energy to conduct it the night before at Amnesia. LastHamlet extinguished the billowing log, and we rolled out of La Tertulia and headed to the hotels. The plan was to meet at Bluebird by 4:20… for a 4:20.

I made it back to the Hotel KAP and had time for a shower and a change of clothes. I wasn’t sure what to expect at the anniversary party, and since I had to present the awards, I thought wearing a sport coat would work. I packed all the awards in a black duffel bag, and grabbed my backpack and headed to Bluebird. I huffed it all the way there in record time, stopping only once at Café Magere Brug for a draft of Palm beer and a shot of Jack Daniels… okay, it was two Palms, but who is counting?

Walking down to Bluebird I see the sidewalk tables are filled with familiar faces… the first ones I see are Birdman, OldHippieDave, and FlyByNite sitting at the first table, and then Trekknhil and Lola at the next. Just inside were Blueberry and Wolfdangler playing “Loveboat” by the front window… I think Marvin Gaye’s “Let’s Get it On” was playing on the jukebox. Inside to the right were SDshadow, Tim, Jay, and Seouleast at one table and theguest with PurpleHaze and Viking at another. Doobies were being passed around with one lone exception… OldHippieDave had this joint that he was trying to get someone to light up, but there were no takers. I found this to be quite strange, especially considering the company, but Trekknhil said that Dave was pulling some kind of prank with that joint… so I also passed when it was offered!

After a few nice hits off of the passed joints and a Coke or two, it was time for the contest… “Best Joint Roller at the Party!” Reputations preceded the event, and it was down to the acknowledged “Top Guns” of Channels… Blueberry for her beautifully crafted Dutch-style cones, LastHamlet for his Bunyan-esque bat-sized weapons, and Seouleast for his room-clearing weed and hasj combinations! The rules were that there were no rules… the joint could be any size, weight, or form, and it could contain anything as long as it was smoke-able! I labeled the entries with the roller’s name, and brought them around to the tables for all to see. They were then lit up and smoked properly by all who wished to do so… which was just about everyone if I recall correctly. As this was being done, I walked around and took down the votes… of course partaking in each of the entries myself! I had planned not to smoke before the party, but that plan had gone up in smoke immediately after arriving at Bluebird, and now was completely forgotten as I tested each of the entries…

When it was decided that it was high time to make our way to the party, LastHamlet was gracious to mule the duffel bag carrying the awards for me… truly a gentleman in every sense of the word! I had marked on my “Streetwise Amsterdam” map where the party was being held on Sarphatistraat, and took the lead to attempt to get us there… we all jumped aboard tram #14 at Visserplein and headed down Plantage Middenlaan until getting off at Sarphatistraat. Old Hippie Dave took the lead from there and marched us west down Sarphatistraat a few blocks and lo and behold, there was the place: Galerie “De Vrijplaats” on our right, with a big www.Channels.nl sign on the front window! The place had already begun filling up, and there were a lot of Channelites out front where some chairs had been set up on the sidewalk.
Just inside I made my way over to finally meet the man throwing the party… Bas. In my mind, he reminded me of Paul McCartney during his “Wings” years. With a friendly handshake, I introduced myself as “Banks” and the bridge was gapped… never having met before, we could now put faces to the online conversations we had enjoyed over the past few months leading up to this evening. We took a few moments to discuss the how’s and when’s of doing the award ceremonies, and he took me behind the beverage tables where I met a couple of the people involved in running the party. They gave me a place to stash the awards duffel, and from there it was meet and greet time. I can’t tell you how many legends of the Channels I was to meet that night… DedBud and Docski immediately leap to mind. Beer, Bear, Jerkypete, Boneymaroni, MaxT, Mr. Breeze, Yardape, Gadreel, Damoften, and Nellie… I can’t remember them all, forgive me? I had the video cam out for a while, getting some good footage of the inside, along with a few candid moments from Channelites! Food and drink were plentiful… and I enjoyed more than my share of Amstels that night. The gallery was very nice and an excellent venue for this type of celebration… plenty of open space with big windows allowed for all of us to mingle the evening away.

I saw LastHamlet talking with Dannymac at a table near the entrance and walked over to greet my friend… and saw that he had brought his bag of nametags! What a guy… and what a gesture! (I now have my nametag attached to my camera bag… what a great memento to have… thanks Dmac!) With my nametag now attached to my lapel, I took Dannymac behind the table to show him where the awards were, along with the PA setup as he was to be giving the intro along with presenting Bas with an awesome stained glass picture of the Channels logo that his lovely wife had made for the occasion. It was time to mingle with the Channelites and all of the other guests of Bas before the short awards ceremonies were to begin. With those cold Amstels going down too easily, along with enjoying the excellent spliffs of Blueberry and Trekknhil, the “Big Buzz” was beginning to descend upon me! Better drink a coke or two and eat some of the excellent food.

Before I know it, Bas gives me the “signal” that it was time for the ceremonies to begin. He stepped up behind the tables with the microphone, and officially welcomed us all to the 10th Anniversary Party. With his eloquently chosen words, it was obvious that he was touched that so many people had taken their time to fly in from around the world to make it to his party… I don’t think he quite understood how much Channels had come to matter to us all before that evening. His thanks and heartfelt appreciation were obvious to everyone there. With that done, he handed the microphone over to me for the ceremonies… which I promptly turned over to Dannymac for his introductions. Another man of eloquent words, Dannymac thanked Bas for all of us, and made the formal presentation of the stained glass Channels logo to Bas, which was already being displayed on a wall in the gallery!

With a round of applause for Dannymac, he handed me the microphone. I had a bit of a hard time getting into a rhythm since I was good and stoned (thanks Seouleast, Blueberry, LastHamlet, and Trekknhil!) but I finally got it going by the time I announced the first award winner… Seouleast for “Best Joint Roller at the Party!” The votes at Bluebird a short couple of hours ago were almost unanimous… those 4-way doobies of his were just too hard to beat! I know because I was still feeling the effects of it! Next came the award for “Most Valuable Channelite” in which there was a tie… so we awarded two trophies to the very deserving Max Flower and UKBagLady! Unfortunately for us, they were unable to attend… but in the true spirit of things, Bas’ friend Arwen made sure UKBL got hers when she went to England, and Max will be picking his up from Bas in December I believe!

Next up was the award for “Best Avatar” which went to Dannymac for his terrific “falling off a stool” referring to his Karl Wallenda-esque plunge of a few years ago during the original Coffeeshop Crawl! The next award of the evening went to a man who deserves all the accolades heaped upon him for his writings from the heart… LastHamlet for “Best Trip Reporting!” Continuing on, the next award went to a favorite Channelite who has probably forgotten more about Amsterdam than I’ll ever know… FlyByNite for “Best Website!”

The next two award winners were landslide victories for the most worthy… Viking for “Best Hasj Smoker” and Blueberry for “Best Weed Smoker!” The runner-up in both categories, Old Hippie Dave, should have voted for himself a few hundred more times just to make it close! The final presentation was for “Best Coffeeshop” and it was a close one… won out by Amnesia! Since Old Hippie Dave is such a good friend of Sissy at Amnesia, I asked him to do the honors and present her with the trophy! Big Thanks Dave! With that, I had used up my allotted time, and I said a few words of thanks to everyone who had made it to the party… I think? Damn those doobies and beers!

With the awards ceremonies out of the way, it was time for some more mingling and partying! A few more beers, and a joint with MileHigh and his son Blackout, and I was flying high in April… April 23 to be exact. Porkchop came by and handed me an awesome brass key fob with the Channels logo on front… my thanks to a classy guy! It has become a cherished memento of the party, along with the unworn tee shirt from Birdman… someday the nieces and nephews will find them and wonder just what they are from… my 14 year old nephew is already curious as to just what the Amsterdam coat of arms really means! He’ll be surprised…

A little more mingling, and it’s now getting near 11:00PM… and I’m not as young as I used to be. I catch up with BOhannon out on the street in front, and he graciously invites me back to the canal huis for some late night poker, and to smoke some of the hasj he has there. ArtMacUsa and Weldon were heading there also, and invited me to join them on the tram as BO would be doing his best impression of Dorothy in the Wizard of OZ… pedaling his bike to the canal huis. I mistakenly thought we would beat him there easily… but in reality, we only CAUGHT up to him near the bridge! I’d be willing to wager that BO may have beat Lance Armstrong that night! You should have seen him pedal! Son of a bitch! He smoked us!

Well, we were so distraught at being beaten by an old guy from Napa that we decided to go christen the new Rokerij IV down on Elandsgracht near the canal huis to drown our sorrows in some of their smoke. Great Rokerij… very clean and with an excellent décor… reminded me of something out of Marrakech. Orange walls with carvings and candlelight’s… along with their usual primo bud selections. We enjoyed a couple of drinks and a Phat doobie of something good before making it back to the canal huis. By the time we finally made it, Bev and Moe had returned also. The canal huis was everything BO had described it as being… wonderfully large, with the kitchen and living room on the ground floor, with a large TV room/lounge on the next floor up. There were big bedrooms with large windows open and looking out over the canal out front on that floor and the next one above that… get with BO and look it up on Citymundo if you are visiting with a group of people next time!

It was nearing 1:00AM, and after a few rounds of poker, and some of that excellent hasj BO was burning, it was time for this old man to make his way back across town to the Hotel KAP. I said my goodbyes, and headed out for the walk home through Mokum, the end of an incredible day… the kind of day you wished never had an end. I stopped in at the same little pub I had before and had my Jack Daniels on ice and a Palm beer… it just doesn’t get any better than this.

The morning comes early, and I had promised to meet a fellow Pittsburgher, first-timer Felix at Schiphol when he arrived at 7:00AM…
Last edited by Banks on Thu Sep 08, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theguest
super power poster
super power poster

Postby theguest » Tue Aug 30, 10:31 am

Fascinating read, Banks!

Alas that was not me! Maybe I was dreaming and had a virtual kamer experience in De Pijp, just down the road - and was shouting out aloud!!

Actually, I think I may even have wandered down De Pijp that night for some window shopping.....

viking
super power poster
super power poster

Postby viking » Tue Aug 30, 7:31 pm

Wow, thanks for that, Banks.
Nice read indeed.
But it left me wondering about one thing
concerning the Joint Rolling contest at Bluebird.
Banks wrote:Walking down to Bluebird I see the sidewalk tables are filled with familiar faces… the first ones I see are Birdman, OldHippieDave, and FlyByNite sitting at the first table, and then Trekknhil and Lola at the next. Just inside were Blueberry and Wolfdangler playing “Loveboat” by the front window… I think Marvin Gaye’s “Let’s Get it On” was playing on the jukebox. Inside to the right were SDshadow, Tim, Jay, and Seouleast at one table and theguest with PurpleHaze and Viking at another.
Now I know my Amsterdam memories are
especially foggy, but I have no memory at all of being at Bluebird
that day (or any day in April). I thought theguest, PurpleHaze, and
I did a mini-crawl through de Pijp that day, before hitting the party.
My notes have us getting to Yo-Yo's at 3:05pm, so we could have huffed
it on over to Bluebird by 4:20, but I sure don't remember doing that.
Did I? dunno

Banks
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Banks » Wed Aug 31, 1:32 pm

viking wrote:My notes have us getting to Yo-Yo's at 3:05pm, so we could have huffed
it on over to Bluebird by 4:20, but I sure don't remember doing that.
Did I? dunno

My friend, you may be right... I did indulge a bit that day! I'll take a look at my pictures...
The important thing is that you were there to accept your award!

Dave J
power poster
power poster

Postby Dave J » Wed Aug 31, 4:09 pm

Excelent read Banks. I'm picking up some great tips for my reoprt writing in a couple of months time.

Dave J

Purperen
super poster
super poster

Postby Purperen » Wed Aug 31, 5:29 pm

Another great read, thanks mate.

JohnnyHempseed
power poster
power poster

Postby JohnnyHempseed » Thu Sep 01, 3:53 am

Wow!! i LOVE these long detailed trip reports!

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Thu Sep 01, 4:06 am

Lot of work there Banks. Nice job, thanks for taking the time. I feel like I'm signing a yearbook, lol. Always nice to be remembered and part of someone else's report. See you next April I bet..

milehigh

Otis
super power poster
super power poster
Location: Recovering from years of racing sailboats on SF Bay

Postby Otis » Thu Sep 01, 3:00 pm

Nice report Banks, thanks for posting it. Although I don't remember much on that trip, I _do_ remember standing around and being rather inspired when that lady walked past us, and then being inspired again when she walked past the second time. You did take a little video, right? That was a very unforgettable moment and the sort of little thing that makes the trips so special and fun.

Otis

Birdman

Re: Trip Report: 10e Verjaardag Channels, Part 2, Chapter 2

Postby Birdman » Fri Sep 02, 10:56 am

Banks wrote:This went back and forth for a moment, but I eventually acquiesced and accepted her kindness.

Did you at least try and buy her dinner?

Great report!

PurpleHaze
power poster
power poster

Postby PurpleHaze » Tue Sep 06, 12:34 pm

Always a pleasure to read your reports Banks. Keep ‘em coming…
PurpleHaze

dannymac
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby dannymac » Wed Sep 07, 1:15 am

Just back from Florida and 1st chance to read your report Banks.
And a good read it is.
So you say there's a reward in store for me if I park myself at a sidewalk table that's alongside a bump in the road? I'll keep that in mind for my next trip to Mokum. LOL

BTW, how was the construction noise (or lack thereof) at the KAP?
I had originally reserved a room there for the April trip, but after finding out there was subway construction nearby I went and changed to the Acacia's houseboat in the Jordaan.
Having stayed there before, I do like the KAP and its location.

theguest
super power poster
super power poster

Postby theguest » Fri Sep 09, 9:43 am

Hi dmac,

I saw the huge contruction but from the room heard none. Mind you, being so close I have no need to get over the jet lag and have mid-afternoon naps. I only returned at night in an incredibly stoned state...and got more stoned...try not to fall off the balcony.

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

At It Again... A Master at work.!!!

Postby LastHamlet » Sat Sep 10, 6:23 am

Wow, and I finally got to read it. Every time I have tried for this whole day, somebody has stopped me.
Killer read Banks, and I still get a kick out of that girl you described in the glasses place. The 'man hands' out of a Seinfeld episode is how we were talking about it that day. I was laughing just hearing you describe the situation. Although, I bet she could give one hell of a backrub, Hummm, I know exactly where that shop is,,,, take a left out the door of Prinsenhoff Hotel, then left at the first corner, and a block and a half down the street, also on the left.
Now the girl at the party obviously did draw some attention, but I swear I hardly remember her... From the talks of her, my loss.
dam fine, and most detailed report, and even including Viking on this one. I told you that hat was magical Viking, now we know how magical. Now, a most deserved magical lighter to go with it.(You legendary hash smoker, you!!!)
Grand Report Banks, loved the memories.
Many Best Regards,
LH

smokedpeppers
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby smokedpeppers » Tue Sep 13, 3:15 am

Banks.......thanks for giving a GREAT read, very cool. So what's "the rest of the story" on the Optometrist gal?

sp

Banks
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Banks » Tue Jan 10, 5:27 pm

Damn AB... I didn't think this one so bad... :)

skyhigh420
super poster
super poster

Postby skyhigh420 » Tue Jan 10, 6:46 pm

keep 'em coming man that was great!!

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”